My thoughts on why some BHT\'s don\'t take

Dr. Arvind has long recommended using anagen hairs only, you take a look at his bht patients and be the judge whether that helps or not.

“With BHT and FUE, there are no short cuts, and a lot of hard work is required on the part of the doctor himself. The present approach adopted by the majority of strip clinics whereby the technicians subsume the major function of the attending surgeon/physician when applied to FUE and BHT would indeed result in major problems.”

Franklin,

As of 3 months into the opening of my clinic, my procedure was unique to me and my clinic. I think you know this as do the 2 doctors you have mentioned. I also think our result trend and utterances archived on this forum mirror this. It is probably best to judge the merits of clinics on the results they are producing. BHT results from different clinics would be a most useful focus of the discussion. As to the merits/demerits of statements regarding BHT issuing from quarters that have manifested a paucity of uncontestable BHT results? Well that would continue to be fodder for blog discussions that the “experts” would continue to debate ad infinitum.

S. Umar, M.D., FAAD
DermHair Clinic
Redondo Beach, California
+1-310-318-1500
1-877-DERMHAIR (US residents)
info@dermhairclinic.com
WEBSITE www.dermhairclinic.com
Single Follicule Extraction & Transfer (SFET)
Using Head and Body hair

For more SFET-FUE and BHT results go to www.dermhairclinic.com

“As to the merits/demerits of statements regarding BHT issuing from quarters that have manifested a paucity of uncontestable BHT results? Well that would continue to be fodder for blog discussions that the “experts” would continue to debate ad infinitum.” Thanks for taking the time to reply. I would just like to ask again sir. Because I did not quite understand here. Do you use assistants in placing the grafts? Or do you do all the placing yourself? Yes or no is fine. Thanks

Franklin
I for one have a huge amount of respect for Dr Umar personally and professionally just as I am sure that you feel the same with Dr Woods. Your attempt here is to detract from the continuous advancements that Dr Umar is making in BHT with your graft placment commentary . I have been to Dr Umar on 5 seperate trips over a 2 year period from Sept 2005 to Sept 2007 and no one graft was placed by anyone other than Dr Umar. That was a total of 19,000 + grafts.

I was fortunate enough to benefit from Dr Umar’s evolving techniques after his clinic began in 2005 . 3 months after he returned from Dr A as you mentioned he evolved from donor sealing (which has been discussed at in depth legnth on this forum) to his current SFET procedure.He began that procedure in Nov 2007. I experienced both procedures and because of the time savings with SFET there was no need for assistants to help with graft placements. It literally cut the procedure time in half. Why his techniques has to be explained -I have no idea . He has shown more BHT results on this forum than any other M.D to my knowledge- and I think this for some reason bothers other M.D’s.

Before you continue on trying to make some point that is going to prove nothing about graft placement - lets look at the patients pictures. Dr Woods has the same right as any other M.D to post pics. This is ultimately how the patients and forum readers see how far they (the patients) can evaluate an M.D’s work and determine whether or not that M.D has something for them to offer. So instead of trying to worry about ideology - lets just see the work so we the patients can use it to learn from and stop worry about who is placing grafts .

19,000 grafts by Dr Umar
www.myhairtransformation.com

Sorry Heliboy it is just a question. Not to divert from anything here. Let me just tell you I believe in research to the fullest so much as I spent a lot of money traveling and seeing results in person before Fue was popular. So if a patient is going to feel more comfortable with techs or the doc. Then why not ask? As far as pics. I had no trouble getting information 7 years ago strait from the doc.Just in asking. And there was probably still is on other sites in the archives.

“I experienced both procedures and because of the time savings with SFET there was no need for assistants to help with graft placements. It literally cut the procedure time in half.” Ok so the answer is no he does not use assistants. Thanks

» procedure in Nov 2007. I experienced both procedures and because of the
» time savings with SFET there was no need for assistants to help with graft
» placements. It literally cut the procedure time in half.

Heliboy, I am curious on average how many grafts can Dr. Umar do per day?

Mr Frodo
From my personal experience on each procedure the average per day ranged from 1000 to 1400 grafts per day .

19,000 grafts by Dr Umar

How many hours per day was the average on the 1000 to 1400 per day heliboy?

» “I experienced both procedures and because of the time savings with SFET
» there was no need for assistants to help with graft placements. It
» literally cut the procedure time in half.” Ok so the answer is no he does
» not use assistants. Thanks

Dr Umar worked on me for three days in August 07 and he both extracted AND replanted each and every graft personally in order to achieve the optimum results. Dr Umar is too much of a perfectionist to simply FARM OUT the work to assistants, something that was paramount to my decision to go with him in the first place.

Now now… There are plenty of talented clinics that “farm” out to technicians. Talented technicians are hard to train.

Average day ranged from 8 to 10 hours total .When we were working in the really bad strip scar areas it was closer to 10 hours. These areas sometimes require more anesthetic than other areas therefore must be injected more than once. Variables exist for each and every patient regarding the total time per day. A big variable for me was that I have very bad lower back problems from a gym injury 5 years ago . Dr Umar worked diligently to try and allow time in intervals to get up and move around . That was crucial and helpful for me throughout my procedures.

19,000 grafts by Dr Umar

Thank you heliboy.

» We have all seen some disappointing results from mega session body hair
» transplants. That leaves one to wonder “why” these hairs didn’t grow.
» After thinking long and hard, I believe that body hair when transplanted
» must undergo a much higher level of oxidative stress or body hair is more
» sensitive to oxidative stress. I was looking into post-op sprays
» particuliarly haircycle and I think there may be something to that
» product. It contains several antioxidants, particuliary alpha lipoic acid
» which is a super anti-oxidant. I can not come up with any other reason
» (other than mishandled grafts) for these body hairs not to take. I would
» vernture to guess I’m right. One interesting ingredient that could be
» incorporated into a post op spray would be Sea Buckthorn oil. I haven’t
» compared the seed oil to the pulp oil, but i would think the lighter, less
» oily, would be better as not to gum up the transplanted area too much.
»
» Just my thoughts.

There are many reasons for lack of growth in BHTs.
Most important being the lack of proper training.
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-17232-page-2-category-2-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html
The correct techniques, proper instrumentation and extensive training coupled with a stress and fatigue immune work environment ensures successful BHT outcome. The reason we have the maximum BHT results, is due to all of the above.
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-16834-page-2-category-2-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html

Then someone reads about the successful results and goes to his nearby HT doctor and asks for BHT. The ?unscrupulous, ?egoist doctor believes he does not need extensive training. Takes a punch and cores out body hair and transplants them.

Months later, the patient wonders why the body hair did not grow. He chose a famous plastic surgeon, a HT doctor doing transplants for years. He got him to do all the extractions and the placements himself.

Must be the jinxed body hair. :slight_smile:

Not really.

» » Until the grafts get blood flow they are basically under attack by free
» » radicals. To me free radical scavengers are ESSENTIAL post hair
» transpant
» » and especially with body hair.
»
» Yeah but the same can be said about regular head hair transplants.

A fair observation. Nonetheless, the less time the grafts remain outside the body the better.

» I forgot to add that anagen/telogen ratios matter in BHT. In that a long
» time ago, there was a large debate if telogens(BHT) were transplanted,
» would they cycle back into Anagen phase and begin growing. Unfortunately
» no real studies were performed to dicern this information. I believe there
» was one single experiment where telogen BHT’s were planted in a bald box
» and so were anagens, but nothing resulted and/or the experiment was not
» repeated.
»
If you read the forum archives, you will find the posts where Dr.A first deduced the preshaving concept and the benefits of using only anagen hair. Dr.Cole also did a study comparing telogen and anagen hair growth and agreed with Dr.A that telogen hair should not be transplanted. Dr. Woods too agrees that the anagen hair follicle be transplanted.
No need for repeating experiments for sakeof repitition.

I doubt any physician is still using telogen body hair for transplant.

Some clinics do in fact still use telogens… I suspect this was because they look like they will grow… They are shorter… stubby grafts that look like a triangle but nontheless some clinics did not want to just disregard these hairs. Some clinics still use them… but may not totally count them in there total graft counts… but sadly… and I mean really sadly some clinics do.

» You know what guys? After reading everyone’s opinion, everyone is pretty
» much right. Torsion, transections, compression, crushing of bulbs from
» technician error as well as the physician having multiple errors, and
» drying of BHT grafts. BHT grafts from all of the different areas have a
» fragility threshold, i.e. leg hairs are more fragile than pubic or arm
» pit. When factoring this “fragile threshold” into the equation, one can
» see why clinic A has had better leg hair growth than clinic B.

I like your term “fragility threshold”.

Add the fact that the fragility threshold will be different for different techniques and it will be easy to see the reason why some clinics have good results from BHT while others blame Body hair for all the woes.

The coming years will see an increase in number of physicians offering BHTs without thorough learning with senior practitioners who are well versed in the field. Sad, but true.

» » We have all seen some disappointing results from mega session body hair
» » transplants. That leaves one to wonder “why” these hairs didn’t grow.
» » After thinking long and hard, I believe that body hair when
» transplanted
» » must undergo a much higher level of oxidative stress or body hair is
» more
» » sensitive to oxidative stress. I was looking into post-op sprays
» » particuliarly haircycle and I think there may be something to that
» » product. It contains several antioxidants, particuliary alpha lipoic
» acid
» » which is a super anti-oxidant. I can not come up with any other reason
» » (other than mishandled grafts) for these body hairs not to take. I
» would
» » vernture to guess I’m right. One interesting ingredient that could be
» » incorporated into a post op spray would be Sea Buckthorn oil. I
» haven’t
» » compared the seed oil to the pulp oil, but i would think the lighter,
» less
» » oily, would be better as not to gum up the transplanted area too much.
» »
» » Just my thoughts.
»
» There are many reasons for lack of growth in BHTs.
» Most important being the lack of proper training.
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-17232-page-2-category-2-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html
» The correct techniques, proper instrumentation and extensive training
» coupled with a stress and fatigue immune work environment ensures
» successful BHT outcome. The reason we have the maximum BHT results, is due
» to all of the above.
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-16834-page-2-category-2-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html
»
» Then someone reads about the successful results and goes to his nearby HT
» doctor and asks for BHT. The ?unscrupulous, ?egoist doctor believes he
» does not need extensive training. Takes a punch and cores out body hair
» and transplants them.
»
» Months later, the patient wonders why the body hair did not grow. He chose
» a famous plastic surgeon, a HT doctor doing transplants for years. He got
» him to do all the extractions and the placements himself.
»
» Must be the jinxed body hair. :slight_smile:
»
» Not really.

Thats what keeps me wondering too. There are so many success BHT stories from some clinics and others have hardly anything to show.

Dr. Ruby, I went over the BHT result link you posted and was impressed by the sheer number of positive outcomes. Congrats to you and Dr. A. Do you plan on opening any branches down south?