My JAK inhibitor trial

I am one week into my trial of topical tofactinib. I am using a 70% ethanol 30% distiller water solution. The drug does disolve in ethanol. I am using a .5% solution, which is 5mg/ml. That sounds low but, a 5mg pill runs close to $100. If possible, I might up it to a 1% solution if things don’t work at this dose. I am going to run it for six to eight weeks max and see what happens. I am testing it on my left temple area only to start. I have taken photos and if I get any results I will post the before and afters. I will drop by from time to time to update.

Good luck Christopher.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Christopher1[/postedby]
I am one week into my trial of topical tofactinib. I am using a 70% ethanol 30% distiller water solution. The drug does disolve in ethanol. I am using a .5% solution, which is 5mg/ml. That sounds low but, a 5mg pill runs close to $100. If possible, I might up it to a 1% solution if things don’t work at this dose. I am going to run it for six to eight weeks max and see what happens. I am testing it on my left temple area only to start. I have taken photos and if I get any results I will post the before and afters. I will drop by from time to time to update.[/quote]

Christopher:

Can you describe the viscosity of the solution and how you are applying? Seems like one ml would run out in less than 3 weeks if you went with one drop/day, no? Are you doing any kind of wounding or using anything else?

Best of luck.

I am one week into my trial of topical tofactinib. I am using a 70% ethanol 30% distiller water solution. The drug does disolve in ethanol. I am using a .5% solution, which is 5mg/ml. That sounds low but, a 5mg pill runs close to $100. If possible, I might up it to a 1% solution if things don’t work at this dose. I am going to run it for six to eight weeks max and see what happens. I am testing it on my left temple area only to start. I have taken photos and if I get any results I will post the before and afters. I will drop by from time to time to update.[/quote]

How do you know that the active ingredient “dissolves” in ethanol?

Pills are made up of a lot of things and the active ingredient is just one of those things. Just because the powder of the pills dissolves throughout ethanol does not mean that the active ingredient is also dissolving throughout the ethanol. You would not be able to see the active ingredient with the naked eye so it might be clumping-up in the solution you have made but you would not be able to tell just by looking at the solution.

Where did you get the information that the medicine dissolves in ethanol?

The drug company probably ran studies to determine what the medicine dissolves in so I’m wondering you got your information from studies???

I think this has a chance of working if you include a mild UVB sunburn, or maybe a non-bloody abrasion. I think it stands little chance of working without some kind of skin injury.

The PGD2 & E2 manipulation in Swisstemples’ experiments might be a crucial help too.

Best of luck. Thanks for doing things scientifically & reporting your results to the rest of us, whatever they may be.

You might try applying DMSO at the end as it helps to penetrate substances into the skin.

I saw some information that tofacitinib citrate (the salt with the citrate anion) is soluble in dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). I think DMSO is used because it’s not very soluble in simple solvents like water or ethanol.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]
I saw some information that tofacitinib citrate (the salt with the citrate anion) is soluble in dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). I think DMSO is used because it’s not very soluble in simple solvents like water or ethanol.[/quote]

Is tofacitinib citrate the medicine that supposedly blocks JAK (according to Christiano) and grows hair? If it is can you please provide a link to a source that shows it’s soluble in DMSO?

Jarjar

Here is a link that shows that the drug dissolves in ethanol and DMSO:

ESP2

The viscosity is like water. The color is white and opaque. I have made several milliliters. Since I am only applying it on a small portion of my scalp I am not worried about running out. I am more concerned about whether or not the solution is strong enough. I am not doing any microabrasioning. The mice did not receive this either and I don’t want to muddy the waters at this point.

ESP2

The viscosity is like water. The color is white and opaque. I have made several milliliters. Since I am only applying it on a small portion of my scalp I am not worried about running out. I am more concerned about whether or not the solution is strong enough. I am not doing any microabrasioning. The mice did not receive this either and I don’t want to muddy the waters at this point.[/quote]

Absolutely agree with your last point.

Scratch my last comments about needing abrasion. I was mixed up about exactly which medication you were using.

I agree with you guys, try this one without any abrasions or other additional variables first.

It raises some questions if it actually does work.

Would this treatment be stimulating new hair growth that is totally dependent on the drug? Or would there be some MPB damage reversal involved?

Hypothetically, if you stayed on the drug for years (looking good), would your un-medicated condition continue to worsen over the years even while the drug was cosmetically masking it?

I dunno. Right now I haven’t thought about any of these issues in regards to this particular method.

Why can’t we just get Christiano’s complete study and look inside of it because there is probably a “materials and methods” section that tells what ingredients she used to make the vehicle. Also we could determine what dose of the active medicine she used and then use that information to determine the correct dose for a human. There is a formula that can be used to calculate the correct dose for a human if you already have the correct dose for rodents. Surely the correct dose for rodents is in the study.

I read the following post over at Hair Loss 2020 and felt compelled to give an update, even though I had wanted to wait a few more weeks:

"Adding, if Tofac Lotion does not grow hair on Christopher1 I am completely done with following the topic about future hair growth. I will let life go on with just a few less hairs on my head. That’s life.

I am tired of all of it. I just want a cure NOW! Not in 5 years.

Christopher1 is like Columbus discovering another world, or Neil Armstrong walking on the Moon. Do you realize his experiment could (although I would think should) give us confirmation that Tofac Lotion can grow ALL of hair back NOW! Amazing.

I just want to know either way does Tofac work or Not Work. It should work but the way life is Probably will not work but at least it is being tried.

I am hanging on for the next few weeks to find out. If Only… if only."

This post made me laugh really hard (thank you poster), but I’m sorry to say that thus far I have noticed zero hair growth. The mice in the study showed strong results in as little as two weeks, but mouse models and human models don’t always translate in this regard.

It could be that that the dose is not high enough. It is impossible to know without seeing Christiano’s data. Minoxidil typically runs at 5%, but there are plenty of other topical medications of formulations that run at .5% or even .1%.

It could be that it just needs more time and I am going to run it for another couple weeks. It could also be that the drug has zero effect on MPB. We don’t know the cause of induced hair loss in the mouse study, so assuming that those results will translate over into MPB is specious reasoning.

I will keep at this for awhile yet and post the final results in a few weeks. I wish I had better news for you all.

Thanks for the update. Plase keep updating.

If your trial doesn’t work maybe someone else can try with a bigger dose.

Christopher1 Any updates?

JAK inhibitors look promising but we don’t know the correct dose and formulation.

Gentlemen, I hate to inform you that the trial is over and I have had zero results. Keep in mind not only was I applying the medication topically, but I had 5mg/day systemically in my system for the entire trial period. From the onset I felt Christiano’s reasoning was specious as it related to the drug being applicable to MPB. Maybe I was on too low of a dose. However, that a drug, on its own, can grow an ample amount of hair on say a Norwood 3 seems a little far-fetched to me given what we now know about MPB.

Btw I am going to try Kerastem soon. If all of this stuff doesn’t give me cancer I will report back on that in the future.

Best of luck.

Gentlemen, I hate to inform you that the trial is over and I have had zero results. Keep in mind not only was I applying the medication topically, but I had 5mg/day systemically in my system for the entire trial period. From the onset I felt Christiano’s reasoning was specious as it related to the drug being applicable to MPB. Maybe I was on too low of a dose. However, that a drug, on its own, can grow an ample amount of hair on say a Norwood 3 seems a little far-fetched to me given what we now know about MPB.

Btw I am going to try Kerastem soon. If all of this stuff doesn’t give me cancer I will report back on that in the future.

Best of luck.[/quote]

Thanks for giving it a go.

One thing I will say though is that you can’t be sure you used a strong
enough dose or that your formulation/vehicle was satisfactory to success.
In other words, your experiment didn’t work but a proper JAK inhibitor in
a high enough dose and a correct formulation may still work. That having been
said I really do not believe JAK inhibitors will work either. My hopes are
pinned to SM04554 and possibly some other treatments in the pipeline.

Best of luck.[/quote]

How do you know that you had 5mg/day systemically in your body?