Mr Frodo

When you increased your propecia dose to 2.5mg a day did you experience an increase in oil on your scalp?
Have you ever even heard of a side effect like that ?

Approx 3 weeks after I increased the dose to 2.5mg a day my scalp was soaked in oil.I’ve been using special shampoos to try & reduce the oil but after 3 weeks of use my scalp is still soaked in oil.
I’d appreciate any feedback.

» When you increased your propecia dose to 2.5mg a day did you experience an
» increase in oil on your scalp?
» Have you ever even heard of a side effect like that ?
»
» Approx 3 weeks after I increased the dose to 2.5mg a day my scalp was
» soaked in oil.I’ve been using special shampoos to try & reduce the oil but
» after 3 weeks of use my scalp is still soaked in oil.
» I’d appreciate any feedback.

No, I never noticed any big difference.

I was dying for a response,your the only person I know who has actual experience.Who told you to increase the dose to stop hairloss ?

I think I have some Inflammatory condition of the scalp that is causing oilyness,itchyness & hairloss.I have to wait another month before I see a Demratologist to confirm this.It’s gonna be a looooong wait.

» I was dying for a response,your the only person I know who has actual
» experience.Who told you to increase the dose to stop hairloss ?
»
» I think I have some Inflammatory condition of the scalp that is causing
» oilyness,itchyness & hairloss.I have to wait another month before I see a
» Demratologist to confirm this.It’s gonna be a looooong wait.

I had tried everything with so so success that’s why I decided to increase the dose of both Propecia and minox. But it didn’t really help that much, maybe just a little bit.

I might be wrong, but I think 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (eg: Propecia, Proscar, Avodart etc) actually makes the skin less oily.

It sounds like you have a scalp inflammatory condition. Are you using topical minoxidil or anything that has propylene glycol in it?

» I might be wrong, but I think 5-alpha reductase inhibitor (eg: Propecia,
» Proscar, Avodart etc) actually makes the skin less oily.
»
» It sounds like you have a scalp inflammatory condition. Are you using
» topical minoxidil or anything that has propylene glycol in it?

Thanks for responding guys.

Last year I suspected that Proscar had stopped working for me,I kept taking the tablet as I thought it was all in my mind. In January I started Rogaine 5% liquid. After 4 days of use I developed a red rash on my scalp & my scalp started to burn so I stopped using it. About 2 months later I had a massive shed of hair combined with an extremely itchy scalp. I lost allot of hair. !!!
The shed could be an inflammatory reaction to the issues I had with rogaine.When you bald your hair doesn’t shed rapidly & you don’t have a itchy scalp.

Weeks later I also noticed that my hairs where miniaturising, the proscar had stopped working. A doc on the web told me to up the proscar dose to 2.5mg & after 2 weeks the miniaturising stopped.
My scalp itchiness & shedding calmed down a little.
After 3 weeks of using proscar 2.5mg,I awoke to find my scalp & hair was soaked in oil. I have tried a special shampoo to fight of the oiliness but my hair loss & itching has increased again & my scalp is still very oily.
Maybe the shampoo is irritating the inflamation ?

Propecia lowers oil ? I didn’t know that, but I know it can do the opposite.
I am scared that the oilyness is reflex hyperandrogenicity: When the effects of androgens in the body are lessened, e.g. through lowering DHT or by systemic hormone receptor blockade, the body seeks equilibrium through a process called upregulation. This can take the form of increased hormone production and/or increased tissue sensitivity to the remaining hormones. The reason side effects usually gradually disappear with finasteride is probably due to such upregulation. In a small percentage of individuals, it may be that this process overshoots the mark, resulting in significant hyperandrogenicity. This is marked by such signs as greatly increased facial oil, increased pimples, and greatly elevated libido. It’s possible that in certain cases such hyperandrogenicity overcomes the hair-protective effect of, say, finasteride, though this does not appear to be the case for the vast majority of people.

I have a oily scalp not face, no pimples or elevated libido.I am baffled,I don’t know what to do,I am really freaking out.I am going to see a dermatologist soon but I fear she won’t have a clue either.

Maybe I should have a blood test to see my hormone levels ???
I don’t know.

Copied from

[0057] Anti-androgens have been shown to decrease sebum secretion. Anti-androgens can work by a number of different mechanisms. For example, some compounds block the conversion of testosterone to 5-.alpha.-dihydrotestosterone, which is responsible for the biological effect in many tissues. 5-Alpha-reductase inhibitors, such as finasteride, have been shown to decrease sebum production. Finasteride is commercially available from Merck under the trade name Propecia.RTM… Examples of other 5-.alpha.-reductase inhibitors include dutasteride (Glaxo Smithkline). Other anti-androgens are antagonists of the androgen receptor. For example, androgen antagonists, such as flutamide, have been reported to decrease sebum production. Such compounds can be co-administered with the compounds of Formula I to decrease sebum production.

Here’s another study on the effect of finasteride on sebum production.

» Here’s another study on the effect of finasteride on sebum production.
»
»

Thank you hairsite, thank you so much. I have posted this question on various forums but have received no response. I am truly appreciative of your efforts because I am going nuts here. I am seeing a dermatologist on Thursday, hopefully she will be able to shed more light on this matter.
I will print out these facts & take them with me.
Thanks again, I owe you big time.

Hay Damon. Try adding Vitamin A (w/breakfast) and Zinc (w/dinner).

Also, if you wash too much and strip the oils, your body will produce more to compensate.

» Hay Damon. Try adding Vitamin A (w/breakfast) and Zinc (w/dinner).
»
» Also, if you wash too much and strip the oils, your body will produce more
» to compensate.

a lot of sebum and dandruff is caused by excess white flour and sugar and fat in the diet

good multi minerals and super hair vitamin will GREATLY reduce this

» » Hay Damon. Try adding Vitamin A (w/breakfast) and Zinc (w/dinner).
» »
» » Also, if you wash too much and strip the oils, your body will produce
» more
» » to compensate.
»
» a lot of sebum and dandruff is caused by excess white flour and sugar and
» fat in the diet
»
» good multi minerals and super hair vitamin will GREATLY reduce this

Thanks allot guys, I really appreciate your feedback. I am seeing a Dermatologist soon, hopefully she’ll know what she talking about. In my experience most doctors are clueless when it comes to hair loss or hair/scalp related issues in general.

You know Nizoral and tea tree oil are really good for oily scalp. Nizoral actually makes my scalp too dry, if your scalp is really oily, give it a try.

» Thanks allot guys, I really appreciate your feedback. I am seeing a
» Dermatologist soon, hopefully she’ll know what she talking about. In my
» experience most doctors are clueless when it comes to hair loss or
» hair/scalp related issues in general.

I’ve seen 3 different dermatologists. They will usually just prescribe shampoo or cream to try and control oil/dandruff. Nizoral 2% or Loprox shampoos or creams.

There is also an acne treatment, Accutane, that will dry you up. That is typically only prescribed for severe acne. Accutane is derived from Vitamin A. High doses of Vitamin A will produce the same effect, but can be toxic. Lower doses of Vitamin A should at least reduce the oils.

Zinc, used topically, has a drying effect, diaper rash ointment has zinc oxide. Some dandruff shampoos (dandruff is caused by oily scalp) contain zinc. There is also some data about using it internally to reduce sebum production.

I’ll be interested in what your derm does though. Please let us know.

» » Thanks allot guys, I really appreciate your feedback. I am seeing a
» » Dermatologist soon, hopefully she’ll know what she talking about. In my
» » experience most doctors are clueless when it comes to hair loss or
» » hair/scalp related issues in general.
»
» I’ve seen 3 different dermatologists. They will usually just prescribe
» shampoo or cream to try and control oil/dandruff. Nizoral 2% or Loprox
» shampoos or creams.
»
» There is also an acne treatment, Accutane, that will dry you up. That is
» typically only prescribed for severe acne. Accutane is derived from
» Vitamin A. High doses of Vitamin A will produce the same effect, but can
» be toxic. Lower doses of Vitamin A should at least reduce the oils.
»
» Zinc, used topically, has a drying effect, diaper rash ointment has zinc
» oxide. Some dandruff shampoos (dandruff is caused by oily scalp) contain
» zinc. There is also some data about using it internally to reduce sebum
» production.
»
» I’ll be interested in what your derm does though. Please let us know.

dermatologists know nothing about internals especially naturals, they only know how to prescribe drugs and prescription creams
they are treating the symptoms, not the cause

» Copied from
» Method for decreasing sebum production - KOSTLAN CATHERINE R.
»
» [0057] Anti-androgens have been shown to decrease sebum secretion.
» Anti-androgens can work by a number of different mechanisms. For example,
» some compounds block the conversion of testosterone to
» 5-.alpha.-dihydrotestosterone, which is responsible for the biological
» effect in many tissues. 5-Alpha-reductase inhibitors, such as
» finasteride, have been shown to decrease sebum production
. Finasteride
» is commercially available from Merck under the trade name Propecia.RTM…
» Examples of other 5-.alpha.-reductase inhibitors include dutasteride
» (Glaxo Smithkline). Other anti-androgens are antagonists of the androgen
» receptor. For example, androgen antagonists, such as flutamide, have been
» reported to decrease sebum production. Such compounds can be
» co-administered with the compounds of Formula I to decrease sebum
» production.

I also noticed seborrhea conditions sometime after I started using propecia. The seborrhea occurs only on the forehead areas and not in the scalp. Is there any known correlation?

» » Copied from
» » Method for decreasing sebum production - KOSTLAN CATHERINE R.
» »
» » [0057] Anti-androgens have been shown to decrease sebum secretion.
» » Anti-androgens can work by a number of different mechanisms. For
» example,
» » some compounds block the conversion of testosterone to
» » 5-.alpha.-dihydrotestosterone, which is responsible for the biological
» » effect in many tissues. 5-Alpha-reductase inhibitors, such as
» » finasteride, have been shown to decrease sebum production
» Finasteride
» » is commercially available from Merck under the trade name
» Propecia.RTM…
» » Examples of other 5-.alpha.-reductase inhibitors include dutasteride
» » (Glaxo Smithkline). Other anti-androgens are antagonists of the
» androgen
» » receptor. For example, androgen antagonists, such as flutamide, have
» been
» » reported to decrease sebum production. Such compounds can be
» » co-administered with the compounds of Formula I to decrease sebum
» » production.
»
»
» I also noticed seborrhea conditions sometime after I started using
» propecia. The seborrhea occurs only on the forehead areas and not in the
» scalp. Is there any known correlation?

this is simply wrong. Finasteride has no effect on sebum production. MK386, a type one inhibitor does though. Type 2 alpha five reductase is not found in the sebaceous gland, but the type one is. That is probably just a typo in whoever filed for the patent.

“Furthermore, lowering DHT levels in adulthood had no effect on sebum production. … gland and is unaffected in the inherited condition and by finasteride” …http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/2/524

“Fruzzetti et al.22 studied the effect of finasteride in ten hirsute women. … treated with finasteride there was no reduction of sebum production, …”

http://jcem.endojournals.org/cgi/reprint/76/2/524.pdf

https://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/extract/330/2/120?ck=nck

I was right,the Derm knew nothing about hair loss or scalp related issues. She was a demented old bag! I actually paid extra money to see her sooner, what a joke! She was more interested in finding out if I had problems with my “equipment” since taking Propecia then she was with my scalp oiliness & sudden hair loss.It was ridiculous,she kept bringing the subject back to erections.I really think she got off by talking about that stuff.She eventually prescribed Nizoral shampoo 2% but told me to use it every day, can u believe that? Everyday?! She denied that I would have issues using it every day.

I ended up consulting with another doc & he repeated what hairsite said about Fin REDUCING scalp sebum not increasing it.The Doc is convinced that the shed & oiliness is a result of an inflammatory reaction brought on by Rogain liquid.I can’t understand how I could possibly have a massive shed 2 months after using rogaine for 4 days.OK,the Rogaine burnt my scalp but a shed 2 months after? The Doc said that the shed 2 months after is a typical response.
Apparently Rogaine 5% liquid is well known for causing inflammation,even the 2% liquid can do it that’s why he always recommends the use of Rogaine foam.
I have been told to use Nizoral 2% twice a week.Apart from being a great DHT blocker Nizoral is good for an oily scalp & is a mild antiinflammatory.
I have to go back in a month & if my scalp is still sore,oily & itchy then the Doc will prescribe a cortisone cream for my scalp but doubts it will get that far.
Also, he insisted that excessive sebum on the scalp does not cause hair loss.There are millions of guys out there with oily hair & none of them suffer hair loss.However,he did give me a speech on cause & effect.
I fail to see how using Nizoral twice a week for a month will rid my scalp of oil.I have been using a shampoo specifically designed to reduce oil in my scalp everyday for a month now & that has done nothing.I know Nizoral works behind the scenes so it only needs to be used twice a week but ……I am having a hard time believing it will work.
Given my situation, it does nothing in the overall scheme of things anyway.
A big thank you to all of you guys for your feedback,I really appreciate it.
Some of you guys are more knowledgeable about hair loss then the so called professionals & your definitely more accessible & compassionate.
Thanks again.

Two things that may help you:
1°) Essential oils (justy check which ones to use). i’ve been using some for 5 years and despite the huge number of topicals I use (including minox 15% twice a day), the only thing that got to slightly irritate my scalp has been retin A (tretinoin).
2°) Organic silicium. A good one as well.
(3°) I would not wash my hair daily…)