Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

Losing the battle, need advice

used to post on this site around 2003-2005, but have tried to stay away from hairloss sites since. Well, I’ve been on the big 3 since nov 2002, and been screwing around with doses of avodart here and there. currently using 1/4 proscar a day, 2x 5% dr lee minox, and 0.5 avodart every two days. i had my ups and downs through out, but in the last 8 months ive taken a serious hit on the temples and crowns. it’s to the point where toppik can no longer really hide my thin crown. i should also mention that between may 2005 and dec 06 i had 2000 grafts placed on my crown, 500 grafts head hair and 1500 body hair. this was when people had real hopes for body hair, but after seeing the results, im not really a believer in body hair used for head hair anymore. my surgeon gave me a real good deal, but looking back, i should have just opted to use head hair to fill in the crown.

anyway, i was curious what i should do now? has anyone upped their dose of propecia with success after 5 year period? id rather not take one avodart daily, because the last time i did that it affected my sex drive and quality of erection.

» used to post on this site around 2003-2005, but have tried to stay away
» from hairloss sites since. Well, I’ve been on the big 3 since nov 2002,
» and been screwing around with doses of avodart here and there. currently
» using 1/4 proscar a day, 2x 5% dr lee minox, and 0.5 avodart every two
» days. i had my ups and downs through out, but in the last 8 months ive
» taken a serious hit on the temples and crowns. it’s to the point where
» toppik can no longer really hide my thin crown. i should also mention that
» between may 2005 and dec 06 i had 2000 grafts placed on my crown, 500
» grafts head hair and 1500 body hair. this was when people had real hopes
» for body hair, but after seeing the results, im not really a believer in
» body hair used for head hair anymore. my surgeon gave me a real good deal,
» but looking back, i should have just opted to use head hair to fill in the
» crown.
»
» anyway, i was curious what i should do now? has anyone upped their dose
» of propecia with success after 5 year period? id rather not take one
» avodart daily, because the last time i did that it affected my sex drive
» and quality of erection.

to be honest with you…I think that finasteride is something that someone probaby has to get on very early in the game to experience lasting benefits. If you get on finasteride after having lost a signifigant amount of hair or even are “experiencing general thinning”, then that hair is now “sensitive” to male hormone. Other androgens can probably participate in the MPB process from there onward------slowly but surely miniaturizing the follicles in ensuing cycles. Some men get on finas after their temples and crown have just been “looking a little thinner” and get a bounce-back in thickness for a few years, only to see that hair slowly start going later. The areas of the head that had no thinning at all dont change, but the really susceptible MPB areas, temples and crown, slowly go. Its almost as if finasteride just delays the inevitable in these areas once the hairs become susceptible to male hormone.

If you are losing ground and have been on the big three since 2003, its scary to think what would happen if you just dropped minoxidil and nizoral and just relied on finas alone isn’t it?

Ive piddled with receptor antagonists myself as an addition to finas. Fluridil, green tea, lavender, spiro. Really, I cant think of anything else to anti-androgenically add. Ketoconazole has some anti-androgenic activity, but not lockdown-type anti-androgenic potency like a drug like flutamide (one gets sides with that) would provide. If you could get ahold of some real RU58841, you might hold the line up there.

Its situations like this is why I want for a “cloning” method to be successful so that donor hair can be replicated and implanted into the scalp so that one has “more” donor hair. The MPB hair wants to go after it becomes “sensitized” to male hormone, and you are literally fighting a daily battle against what that hair wants to do. Its as if you are putting a topical anti-androgen on your face to suppress your beard hair in hopes of looking like a 12 year old boy facially—suppressing your very whiskers. You’d have to do it every single day and keep the amount of DHT, T, andro, DHEA, from binding to the hairs androgen receptors to a miniscule minimum. Thats very hard to do, but its about the mirror opposite of what we are trying to make happen with anti-androgens post-sensitization.

I think finas would be super-useful if a guy got on it at like 18 years of age (or even 16), before his hair began to miniaturize at all—even though some men start noticing thinning even earlier than that. That way men would be like those guatemalan pseudo-hermaphrodites are post-pubescence and not experience baldness because their hairs never got enough androgenic stimulation to “flip” their response to male hormone from ambivalence to negativity. But since most all of us get on finas after hairs in MPB-prone areas of the head are already affected to androgens, the drug can merely slow the inevitable and indeed the androgen receptors even seem to mutate to increase the level of stimulation in response to the drug.

» » Its as if you are putting
» a topical anti-androgen on your face to suppress your beard hair in hopes
» of looking like a 12 year old boy facially—suppressing your very
» whiskers. You’d have to do it every single day and keep the amount of DHT,
» T, andro, DHEA, from binding to the hairs androgen receptors to a miniscule
» minimum. Thats very hard to do, but its about the mirror opposite of what
» we are trying to make happen with anti-androgens post-sensitization.

That’s about the best & most concise way to convey the true futility of chemically fighting MPB that I’ve ever heard.

We don’t need better drugs or better transplants. We need true HM, standing alone and working, not dependent on any specific DHT-fighting methods in the long term for support. That’s all there is to it.

The whole topic of DHT drugs, either topical or oral, should not be seen as anything more than a stopgap measure. It’s a band-aid on the problem. And not a very healthy one.