Looking into Proctor\'s Supps - But why the lack of success stories?

I’m looking into purchasing Proctor’s nano-shampoo/prox-N/proxiphen.

Bryan swears by these products and he’s probably the most informaed guy I know on hair loss. I trust him, but the other side of the fence is that why aren’t there success stories with these products like there are with all the other products that really work?

Anyone here try them and can post their review?

ha, you just answered your own question

I think there’s one BIG reason why you don’t hear more about success stories with Dr. Proctor’s products: he very rarely ever bothers to post anymore on hairloss sites! In past years when he used to post regularly on the newsgroup alt.baldspot, it was easy to find comments from people who has used Proxiphen, Prox-N, and NANO shampoo.

Here are a few comments about his products I culled by searching previous posts on alt.baldspot:

(dcdrummer@hotmail.com)
Subject: Proxiphen good for hairline
Newsgroups: alt.baldspot
Date: 2002-02-04 06:33:41 PST

I used to use dr. p’s proxiphen (px strength) on my hairline with minox. Id apply minox, wait 20 minutes and dab proxiphen on it. Proxiphen would last me about 3 months. I stopped using it because it grew too much hair and I had to shave an even line. I am a good responded to treatments so take what i am saying with a grain of salt but I am going back on it because it kept my hairline thick and definitely grew nonvellous and intermediate hairs for me. I do recommend it and no i dont work for Dr. P. If nothing else apply it at your hairlne and back so it wont recede anymore, and consider any growth a bonus, a bonus you could very well get.

(chuckfrasher@yahoo.com)
Subject: Re: Proxiphen good for hairline
Date: 2002-02-06 12:30:54 PST

I’ve had very good results with Dr. P’s Formulas and have posted this before. I will post specifically about this when I have a little more time. Believe it or not, I think Dr. P’s shampoo is a gift from God. I have 3 separate experiences of using it. Each time, it worked. Two of these experiences were with the shampoo alone. My most recent is nano mixed with Propecia, Nizoral, and Dp. P’s Advanced Regrowth Formula from lef.org. After a month or so off of the shampoo, I am losing gobbs of hair in the drain. I will explain in more detail later.

(todd_tomlinson@emeraldsolutions.com)
Subject: Re: Proxiphen Users Please Read
Date: 1998/01/10

I’m 40, have been balding since 20 and started on Proxiphen and Nano shampoo in October 96. I had lost 80-90% of the hair on top of my head with a little bit left at the front. With Proxiphen and Nano I saw pretty amazing results after 3-4 months (tons of short, thin, colorless hairs).
{snip}
Also, I know that people complain about $100/month for Proxiphen and that the ingredients may not add up to $100/month. For me it’s an investment – and research costs money. I would rather pay $100/month to Dr. P for Proxiphen, knowing that he’s leading the way for new treatments… maybe $60 of my $100 will fuel the research that sparks something new that benefits all of us…

Subject: my experience w/ proxiphen and nano shampoo
Date: 1997/03/25

hello,

there have been some people on this newsgroup who have asked for success stories of people using proxiphen. so i thought i would share my experience with the formula.

i selected proxiphen for a couple of reasons. the most important reason is that i don’t like having to put topical solutions on my scalp 2x/day. in the past, i have used rogaine, and my main complaint is that you have to apply it twice a day. i hate this, because i am a very active person, and i usually do at least 2 activities/day that makes me sweat (biking, running, etc). the makers of rogaine suggest that you wash off the solution if you are going to sweat. i assume this is to avoid getting the solution into the mucous membranes (eyes, nose, etc). and in fact, when i sweat when i have rogaine on, it gets in my eyes, and stings. and i am lazy, i don’t want to have to shower several times/day to make sure that the solution is removed before engaging in activities which cause me to sweat. i also hate the idea of having a topical solution on my head most of the time. and i have a real life to live, so i don’t want to spend a lot of time attending to my hair. so i really like that proxiphen is only applied 1x/day. i apply it at night right before i go to bed, and i wash it off first thing when i shower in the morning.

the other reason i leaned towards proxiphen is the idea of tolerence. i am not a scientist, so i don’t know how much validity this theory has, but it does make sense to me. i worry that rogaine will eventually lose its effectiveness over time. dr P’s theory is that proxiphen has an advantage over rogaine in that because it contains a wider variety of agents, one is less likely to develop tolerance to it.

the big question i had was would it work for me.

so i started using proxiphen/nano shampoo 6 months ago. i am 31 years of age. my hairbegan thinning at 27, and has thinned substantially over the last 18 months. it is also receding. no bald spots as of yet, but the thinning was getting embarrasing. i started to see results with proxiphen after 4.5 months. i noticed small, very blond hairs beginning to sprout along the edge of my hairline. i believe that these hairs are sprouting throughout my scalp, but they are only visible at the edges of the hairline (because they blend in with the rest of my hair). i also noticed that my hair seemed generally thicker. since then , my hair has continued to thicken. i would say that overall, my hair volume appears to be 10-20% thicker on the top of my head compared to when i began the treatment. nothing huge, but enough to make a difference in my mind. another added benefit is that the hair on the top of my hair now grows longer in length. before starting the treatment, i could not get the hair of the top of my head to grow very long. now i am going to have to start having it trimmed again. i also seem to shed less hair (decrease in hair fallout rate), and the hair line seems to be moving forward a bit with these small, blond hairs (i guess these a vellous hairs).

overall, i am happy with proxiphen/nano. the application requires minimal inconvenience, the side effects are none (provided i don’t overdue the amount i put on each night: if i put too much on, sometimes my eyes sting), and the results are good. the product has met my expectations (and perhaps surpassed them). i plan to continue to use the product. since i am such a lazy slob, i look forward to reducing the application from 1x/day to once every other day in a few months. yes, the product is expensive, but i am fortunate to have the financial resources to pay for it and for me it is quite worth the money.

i may add internal proscar to my regime, to get more results and to decrease my dependency on any one single formula. but i am not yet decided on this point.

one thing i want to add: this newsgroup has been a great source of info for me. there are lots of great contributors here! thanx for all of your help. wishing you all thick and volumous heads of hair.

Subject: Re: Proxiphen feedback
Date: 1996/09/13

I’m still having good results on the frontal hair line with proxiphen… as far as concerns, I haven’t had any side effects nor has anybody else I know of… your only concern would be
whether you want to spend that much However, if you’re ONLY treating the front hairline, one months treatment of proxiphen should last 2-4 months (depending on how much you use), making it only $25-50/mo. For me it didn’t take much prox to get things started so you could probably easily stretch it out to a 4 month supply… however according to Dr. P and most people I’ve seen I may be the exception rather than the rule since for most people apparently it works better in back than in front. Like I said in a previous post though… you will be probably be able to tell within 4 months whether or not you will get any results at the hairline (my hairs started sprouting at 2 months) so why not spend the $100 for a 4 month supply… I believe dr. p offers a money back guarantee on the unused portion tho I don’t know if this is only for nano/prox-n or for proxiphen too… i’m sure he’ll pop in and say

(sforsgren@aol.com)
Subject: Re: Dr. Proctor’s Proxiphen —
Date: 1996/07/08

Scott here.

I’ll only comment on my personal experience. I’ve used his stuff for 2 1/2 years. Let me ask this, “If it didn’t work, why in the world would I waste the time using NANO everyday and Proxiphen, etc. twice a day?” It certainly doesn’t benefit me any if it doesn’t grow hair.

In the 2 1/2 years, my loss has slowed and probably almost stopped. I still have a few areas that I am working on, and I can tell you that his stuff is getting better and better. In just the last 2 years, I can really tell that the more recent Prox is more effective than what I tried 2 years ago.

Subject: Re: Is Dr. P’s Proxiphen-N
worth a shot?
Date: 2004-08-12 07:41:16 PST

“SzaszFan” wrote in message
news:BD404FE4.12985%enalg@yahoo

So overall the Prox has been beneficial for you?

Sure! (See my other message elsewhere).

I think Proctor shoots good pool…!

(wbrink@earthlink.net/NOSPAM)
Subject: Re: Revivogen or Proxiphen
Date: 2000/06/02

{snip}
Prxiphen is the Rolls Royce of products in my view. If that does not grow hair on your head, nothing will at this point.

(omarj@ren.us.itd.umich.edu)
Subject: Re: Proxiphen
Date: 1996/02/14

John Janssen (johnjans@usa.pipeline.com) wrote:
: ScottF is a broken record with his accolades about Proctor’s goop. Just
: get as
: much info as you can from as many different sources as possible before
: you plunk down your hard earned bux. Good Luck.

Then I must be a broken record too–but in my case I have a science background as well. I’ve done the research–medline searches(yes, I’ve read the articles as well) and quite a few experiments on myself with a number of different “treatments.” Nearly all of them were crap–except for Dr. Proctor’s stuff.

(psweeney@ee.net)
Date: 1998/09/10

I have had good results. initially I used it daily, then went to every other day or “maintenance mode”

(ct@ihug.co.nz)
Date: 1998/09/12

Just been using it just over two months along woth nano shampoo and conditioner. My results are good. I have small hair growth front and back and any new loss has stopped. Am not using anything else new so i am sure this is what is working for me. Cheers.

(mred10000@aol.com)
Subject: Proxiphen…My observation
Date: 1996/03/10

OK, I have been very weary of posting this for a while because it seems that everytime someone posts something positive about Proxiphen they are called an agent for Dr Proctor, or at least something to that effect. I have been using Proxiphen for 10 months now and I must say the results are very good. I have used Rogaine (1 year) = retin a (6 months.) I did see minimal success but none of which was satisfactory for me. The recession (sp) continued with Rogaine and was slower with the added Retin-a. However, I could say now, without a doubt that Proxiphen, especially when used with NANO Shampoo is the best treatment available today. No, it is not a wonder drug and Dr. Proctor is fully aware of that, but until we do have a wonder drug I will continue to use this treatment.

» I think there’s one BIG reason why you don’t hear more about success
» stories with Dr. Proctor’s products: he very rarely ever bothers to post
» anymore on hairloss sites! In past years when he used to post regularly on
» the newsgroup alt.baldspot, it was easy to find comments from people who
» has used Proxiphen, Prox-N, and NANO shampoo.
»
» Here are a few comments about his products I culled by searching previous
» posts on alt.baldspot:
»

Thanks for all the posts, but Bryan tose are like 15 yr old posts. People don’t post their progress anymore because Dr Proctor isn’t active on the (or any particular) forum? Doesn’t make sense.

» Thanks for all the posts, but Bryan tose are like 15 yr old posts.

What’s your point? Is there an “expiration date” on Internet posts, like there is on a carton of milk? :slight_smile:

By the way, it’s even more impressive that those people were only talking about older versions of Proxiphen, since those weren’t even as effective as the ones today. Dr. Proctor is always fiddling and tinkering with the formula, adding new ingredients, etc.

» People don’t post their progress anymore because Dr Proctor isn’t
» active on the (or any particular) forum? Doesn’t make sense.

Since it’s been years since I’ve seen him do any advertising, his own posts about Proxiphen are an important way to get the word out, and now he barely even does that. It doesn’t surprise me that people don’t post about Proxiphen: they don’t know anything about it!

You can say what you want about Dr Proctor but you can’t say that his website looks out of date or unprofessional. It looks very slick and hip and modern.
:wink: NOT!

» » Thanks for all the posts, but Bryan tose are like 15 yr old posts.
»
» What’s your point? Is there an “expiration date” on Internet posts, like
» there is on a carton of milk? :slight_smile:
»
» By the way, it’s even more impressive that those people were only
» talking about older versions of Proxiphen, since those weren’t even as
» effective as the ones today. Dr. Proctor is always fiddling and tinkering
» with the formula, adding new ingredients, etc.
»
» » People don’t post their progress anymore because Dr Proctor isn’t
» » active on the (or any particular) forum? Doesn’t make sense.
»
» Since it’s been years since I’ve seen him do any advertising, his own
» posts about Proxiphen are an important way to get the word out, and now he
» barely even does that. It doesn’t surprise me that people don’t post about
» Proxiphen: they don’t know anything about it!

I would say cost is the primary factor when it comes to limited public use of Proctor’s products; they aren’t cheap.

HOWEVER, if you dig around in various forums you WILL see positive testimonials from active members, yet these are for his less-expensive products like Prox-N and Nano shampoo. In fact, these two items can be purchased at a considerable discount from LEF.org. Proctor claims they are a ‘lite’ version of the ones he sells on his site, however he has admitted many times that pound-for-pound the ‘lite’ versions are a better deal for the money.

I think adding Nano shampoo and Prox-N could only benefit one’s exisiting hair loss regimen.

MJ,
I know you’ve been trhough a lot shedding with your experiments with different medications. I saw this on Dr.Rassman’s blog:
http://www.baldingblog.com/2008/04/04/dr-proctors-proxiphen/

Although I think Bryan is knowledgeable and I’ve seen his posts for at least 10+ years when alt.baldspot was active, I dislike his pumping of Revivogen.

That is surely the most worthless snakeoil known to man.

» MJ,
» I know you’ve been trhough a lot shedding with your experiments with
» different medications. I saw this on Dr.Rassman’s blog:
» http://www.baldingblog.com/2008/04/04/dr-proctors-proxiphen/

Thanks, sounds very similar to my scenario with avodart although I believe I’m in a much worser situation. I WISH i stopped at 7 months of shed, rather I stopped nearly 20 months of shed later.

I hope my usage of avodart will help others make their choice prior to using, and I hope those having success with avodart continue to do so.

I’m just going back to sticking with the traditional finasteride and minoxidil methods. And the use of Dermmatch, as now it’s needed. I’ll give this traditional method another 12-15 months before deciding to go in for another transplant. However, if I even get “some” thickness and/or hair regrowth it may serve me well in combination with dermmatch to hopefully hold off another transplant for as long as I can.

Bryan, again thanks for the posts, but your persistent pushing of Proctors products makes me think sometimes you’re Dr Proctor himself :smiley:
I find it strange at the amount of times I’ve asked for your advise only to have never heard from you (which is fine) but you show up almost immediately at the mention of Proctor’s products. Just my $0.02. Nothing to be offended by bud.

» » MJ,
» » I know you’ve been trhough a lot shedding with your experiments with
» » different medications. I saw this on Dr.Rassman’s blog:
» » http://www.baldingblog.com/2008/04/04/dr-proctors-proxiphen/
»
» Thanks, sounds very similar to my scenario with avodart although I believe
» I’m in a much worser situation. I WISH i stopped at 7 months of shed,
» rather I stopped nearly 20 months of shed later.
»
» I hope my usage of avodart will help others make their choice prior to
» using, and I hope those having success with avodart continue to do so.
»
» I’m just going back to sticking with the traditional finasteride and
» minoxidil methods. And the use of Dermmatch, as now it’s needed. I’ll give
» this traditional method another 12-15 months before deciding to go in for
» another transplant. However, if I even get “some” thickness and/or hair
» regrowth it may serve me well in combination with dermmatch to hopefully
» hold off another transplant for as long as I can.
»
» Bryan, again thanks for the posts, but your persistent pushing of Proctors
» products makes me think sometimes you’re Dr Proctor himself :smiley:
» I find it strange at the amount of times I’ve asked for your advise only
» to have never heard from you (which is fine) but you show up almost
» immediately at the mention of Proctor’s products. Just my $0.02. Nothing to
» be offended by bud.

dr proctors made enough money by giving us wrong hope,
1 year of dr proctors and nothing on my hair or my dad`s hair

» Bryan, again thanks for the posts, but your persistent pushing of Proctors
» products makes me think sometimes you’re Dr Proctor himself :smiley:
» I find it strange at the amount of times I’ve asked for your advise only
» to have never heard from you (which is fine) but you show up almost
» immediately at the mention of Proctor’s products. Just my $0.02. Nothing to
» be offended by bud.

I only pass quickly through hairsite from time to time, so it’s quite possible that I missed a lot of those posts of yours. Sorry. Seeing any mention of the name “Proctor” in the subject of a thread, on the other hand, tends to draw my attention immediately! :slight_smile: