Lisa - female pt (burn scar) 1016 FUHT grafts/ 14 month result

Patient nickname - Lisa
Lisa suffered chemical burns on her scalp. 1016 strip FUHT grafts were transplanted in a single session.
After pictures taken 14 months post HT.

Before

After

Picture immediately after graft placement

»

»
» Picture immediately after graft placement
»

Looks good!!

Is it true that doc needs to be on conservative side as regards to density on burn scar tissue??
I have read on forums that density has to be kept on lower side for transplanting on scar tissue!!

Regards,
hairlove.

»
» Looks good!!
»
» Is it true that doc needs to be on conservative side as regards to density
» on burn scar tissue??
» I have read on forums that density has to be kept on lower side for
» transplanting on scar tissue!!
»
» Regards,
» hairlove.

Dear Hairlove,
Transplanting hair into scar tissue is fraught with dangers of an unpredictable yield due to compromised blood supply.
However, over the years, I have found that the differnece in types of scar tissues also plays a role.

1. Full depth scar tissues (post surgery/strip) are likely to have a lesser yield.
  2. Hypertrophic/raised scars tissues are likely to have a poor vascular supply and may give a lower yield.
  3. Wide, full depth, post surgical scars are the worst.
  4. Flat/thin scar tissue gives better yield.
  5. Scars due to burns (chemical or otherwise) usually do not lead to hypertrophic or raised scar tissue and have better yield.
  6. Scars due to infections (that have now subsided and will not recur) give better yield.

However, in my experience, transplanting at a lower density (<20 grafts/sq cm) v/s at a moderate density (40 fu grafts per sq cms) does not make a difference.
Nevertheless, if the physician feels that the growth in that particular type of scar tissue may not be predictable enough, then it is prudent not to waste too many grafts in the first session. Better to see the result of the first session with hair transplanted at a lower density and then proceed further.

That is the logic behind transplanting at a lower density in the initial session.

Regards,
Dr. A