Latisse for hairloss

Guys i came across this.its allready out for growing eyelashes.they say that they are trying to make a version for hairloss now
New Hair Loss Drug - Will It Help Or Hurt? Lumigan - Latisse - Nurse’s Report

A new drug has been FDA approved for hair loss. Actually it was a drug used for another purpose and already on the market. The drug is called Lumigan and is going to be marketed as Latisse. Over time it was accidentally discovered that it could grow hair. How could this happen? The drug was being used for glaucoma and has been used for several years by glaucoma patients. When the drops were applied in the eye they would leak out of the side of the eye.
This exposure to the medicine on the face caused hair to grow at the side of the eyes. So the drug maker, Allergan decided to first offer this drug for increasing the length, thickness and darkness of eyelashes.
It’s now being marketed and sold for that purpose with the new name of Latisse while the drug is still also being marketed for glaucoma. Now this is for eyelashes.

They’re working on the hair loss drug now and may possibly come to the market with it by the time you read this article if there are no glitches. They will probably change the name from Latisse but the chemical name will still be based on Lumigan and it will be more potent than the version of Lumigan for eyelashes. Because it is an established drug it will not have to go through as many rigid procedures in order to get it approved for this use. If they didn’t change the potency you could use it right now for hair loss.
At this writing they plan to offer the hair loss drug as a hair loss cure or a baldness cure calling it a miracle hair loss drug and sell it for about $120 per month. There is no report on whether one would have to continue using it to avoid baldness, but that may be the case. If so that would make it a very expensive option each month. Also needless to say this drug will have side effects and risks as do all hair loss drugs, hair loss medicines and hair loss medications.

Some of the side effects of Latisse for eyelashes are: itching skin or itching sensation, redness of the eyes, eyelid skin darkening, and actually darkening of the color of the eyes. So for a more potent version of Latisse or Lumigan there may be more side effects. And there may be so much risk and danger that they may not be able to market or continue marketing the drug for hair loss.
In the meantime you don’t want to go out and get the glaucoma drug and rub it on because that wouldn’t be potent enough to grow hair or reverse baldness or cure alopecia arreata.

This was from many years ago, I think the name of the drug is called latanoprost (sp?), guys this is what we are dealing with in real life, the drug was known to be able to cause hair growth, that must have been 10 years ago, this is how long it took to take to have a real product on the market. I think the drug was for glaucoma (sp?), some guys on the baldspot newsgroup used it for hiar but i don’t think they did anything.

» This was from many years ago, I think the name of the drug is called
» latanoprost (sp?), guys this is what we are dealing with in real life, the
» drug was known to be able to cause hair growth, that must have been 10
» years ago, this is how long it took to take to have a real product on the
» market. I think the drug was for glaucoma (sp?), some guys on the
» baldspot newsgroup used it for hiar but i don’t think they did anything.

the article says 3nd january 2009!!!the name of the drug is Lumigan i dont know how the active indegredient is called… but you are right that it has to do with glaucoma

I dont know i found it now, my girlfriend told me that she found out recently about a drug that grows the eyelashes and i thought that maybe it can do something for hairloss so i googled it and found this

Just looked up Lumigan on google and apparently a side effect is “excessive hair growth”(hypotrichosis)and “may gradually change eyelashes and vellus hair in the treated eye;these changes include increased length, thickness and number of lashes.Eyelash changes are usually reversible upon discontinuation of treatment.”

Those quotes are for the eye lash version, I can’t find any info on it regarding hair loss except for the article you posted.

Lumigan and Lantropost are for the same thing but slightly different.

Lumigan =

Latanoprost =

» Guys i came across this.its allready out for growing eyelashes.they say
» that they are trying to make a version for hairloss now
» New Hair Loss Drug - Will It Help Or Hurt? Lumigan - Latisse - Nurse’s
»
»
»
» A new drug has been FDA approved for hair loss. Actually it was a drug
» used for another purpose and already on the market. The drug is called
» Lumigan and is going to be marketed as Latisse. Over time it was
» accidentally discovered that it could grow hair. How could this happen? The
» drug was being used for glaucoma and has been used for several years by
» glaucoma patients. When the drops were applied in the eye they would leak
» out of the side of the eye.
» This exposure to the medicine on the face caused hair to grow at the side
» of the eyes. So the drug maker, Allergan decided to first offer this drug
» for increasing the length, thickness and darkness of eyelashes.
» It’s now being marketed and sold for that purpose with the new name of
» Latisse while the drug is still also being marketed for glaucoma. Now this
» is for eyelashes.
»
»
» They’re working on the hair loss drug now and may possibly come to the
» market with it by the time you read this article if there are no glitches.
» They will probably change the name from Latisse but the chemical name will
» still be based on Lumigan and it will be more potent than the version of
» Lumigan for eyelashes. Because it is an established drug it will not have
» to go through as many rigid procedures in order to get it approved for this
» use. If they didn’t change the potency you could use it right now for hair
» loss.
» At this writing they plan to offer the hair loss drug as a hair loss cure
» or a baldness cure calling it a miracle hair loss drug and sell it for
» about $120 per month. There is no report on whether one would have to
» continue using it to avoid baldness, but that may be the case. If so that
» would make it a very expensive option each month. Also needless to say this
» drug will have side effects and risks as do all hair loss drugs, hair loss
» medicines and hair loss medications.
»
»
» Some of the side effects of Latisse for eyelashes are: itching skin or
» itching sensation, redness of the eyes, eyelid skin darkening, and actually
» darkening of the color of the eyes. So for a more potent version of Latisse
» or Lumigan there may be more side effects. And there may be so much risk
» and danger that they may not be able to market or continue marketing the
» drug for hair loss.
» In the meantime you don’t want to go out and get the glaucoma drug and rub
» it on because that wouldn’t be potent enough to grow hair or reverse
» baldness or cure alopecia arreata.

I think this has been discussed before. That doesn’t mean it isn’t worth looking into more closely.

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-45368-page-1-category-1-order-last_answer.html

Take Care,
Bill

If it is as effective as ’ a miracle cure for baldness’ and cheap too, I expect this to disappear before it comes to market. Cynical? Almost certainly. Paranoid? Maybe.

lol

no seriously, i think there could be something to it, but the probability it will be a disapointment is very very high, its several times higher then that it is a miracle cure that will solve our problems.

most probably it wont work, or it will be worse then rogaine. The best i expect is a rogaine alternative.

So although i find this interesting, this wont make me stall my life waiting. I will carry on my path to being happy guy without hair, or with transplanted hair.

» lol
»
» no seriously, i think there could be something to it, but the probability
» it will be a disapointment is very very high, its several times higher then
» that it is a miracle cure that will solve our problems.
»
» So although i find this interesting, this wont make me stall my life
» waiting. I will carry on my path to being happy guy without hair, or with
» transplanted hair.

I dont think its a miracle cure as this articles says.they usually add a lot of spice to make their articles get more hits.Never the less it could be a better rogaine, even for people who get sides from propecia it could be a good alternative.

The good thing is that it is allready approved by the FDA for eyelashes which is a cosmetic condition. If they can make it effective for hair(propably a much stronger version) without excessive sideeffects, i think its not unlikely to see it in the market.

I actually think is much closer than anything else we ve heard so far because its allready in the market for growing eyelashes…

I was talking to my Mom last night who (we highly suspect) used the exact same med for her glaucoma. (she had all the same symptoms mentioned but couldn’t remember the med’s name) Anyway, she said that her eyelashes did grow, but not like she hoped. She would get a very odd looking hair grow larger than the rest here and there, but not all of them uniformally. (She wanted them to all be thicker and even, but it just didn’t happen) So this kinda proves what others have said here about it not being the cure all. AGAIN…the consistency thing right?

» I was talking to my Mom last night who (we highly suspect) used the exact
» same med for her glaucoma. (she had all the same symptoms mentioned but
» couldn’t remember the med’s name) Anyway, she said that her eyelashes did
» grow, but not like she hoped. She would get a very odd looking hair grow
» larger than the rest here and there, but not all of them uniformally. (She
» wanted them to all be thicker and even, but it just didn’t happen) So this
» kinda proves what others have said here about it not being the cure all.
» AGAIN…the consistency thing right?

Where does she keep it? :stuck_out_tongue:

go find it rub some on your head and report back in 3 months :smiley: :smiley:

jokes aside…if anyone finds out something please post it, i dint find anything recent just the article above

Our hairs are being wrecked by a specific weakness to certain hormones that causes a chain reaction of bad things to the follicle. I expect any solution that really WORKS to have some plausible link to fixing/reversing this.

So I just don’t have much faith in non-specific “it grows hairs” substances like the stuff in this thread. Minox already boosts hair growth about as well as anything else we’ve ever found, and it’s not exactly putting the HT industry out of business.

We need the androgen problem SOLVED. We need to either stop (not slow down) this process completely, find a specific way around the chain reaction of damage that it causes, or else restart follicle growth from scratch. Anything else is probably not gonna do us any real good.

» Our hairs are being wrecked by a specific weakness to certain hormones that
» causes a chain reaction of bad things to the follicle. I expect any
» solution that really WORKS to have some plausible link to fixing/reversing
» this.
»
»
» So I just don’t have much faith in non-specific “it grows hairs”
» substances like the stuff in this thread. Minox already boosts hair growth
» about as well as anything else we’ve ever found, and it’s not exactly
» putting the HT industry out of business.
»
»
»
»
»
» We need the androgen problem SOLVED. We need to either stop (not slow
» down) this process completely, find a specific way around the chain
» reaction of damage that it causes, or else restart follicle growth from
» scratch. Anything else is probably not gonna do us any real good.

We know that men who inherit two specific genes are 700% more likely to be bald. There have been three other genes found that are statistically signifigantly correlated with baldness also.

Here is the ICKY news. Having these genes active during hair follicle formation during the first trimester of your mom’s pregnancy might more or less doom them to be androgen sensitive as a matter of -DESIGN-.

It may be that only androgen-receptor antagonists or alpha five reducatase inhibitors of dutasteride-like strength are the only treatments that can more-or-less “halt” the process indefinitely as using specific gene antagonists (when such are found) may not be useful. We dont know until its tried.

My little theory was that DKK-1, released by the dermal papilla, has been show to cause apoptosis in keratinocyte cells, thus causing some dead cells to be in the infidula, where the first inflammation in Androgenic Alopecia is noted to happen, drawing a immunological response. However, other agents released by the papilla like TGF-beta have been shown to slow cell division in different parts of the follicle in experiments. Thrombospondin, TNF-alpha, PKC, DKK-1, TGF beta 1 and TGF beta 2 all do this. Who knows if its “only” one of these. It may be a little bit of all of them drawing an immune response.

IN other words, the way your hairs are “designed” by those genes when they are developing may make the way they react to male hormone the only way they can react to male hormone, and the only way to “protect” them, would be to inhibit the receptor and block alpha five reductase from making DHT.

I hope science can simply “make” more donor-area hair to be shot into the head, or can wound the skin while blocking certain genes and donor-quality hair can be “made”. ACELL, with a gaping wound necessary, would be the last preferred working solution. There may never be an effective gene therapy though. It may be too late to administer any “gene blocker” to invalidate how your hair responds to testosterone. I hope Im wrong about that.

I take some solace in the fact that shielding the follicles from androgens during puberty avoids the problem even when there’s subesquent exposure in adulthood.

So it’s still theoretically possible to dodge this process, even on hairs genetically programmed for it AND a scalp with normal adult androgen levels.

» I take some solace in the fact that shielding the follicles from androgens
» during puberty avoids the problem even when there’s subesquent exposure in
» adulthood.
»
»
» So it’s still theoretically possible to dodge this process, even on hairs
» genetically programmed for it AND a scalp with normal adult
» androgen levels.

Ive seen several photos of women who underwent testosterone therapy and lost their hair in the male pattern fashion.

Dr. James Hamilton found that he could administer testosterone to castrated males in a mental asylum and if they had a family history of baldness, they’d start to go bald.

You might ask Bryan, he had that study at one time and posted a few excerpts from it.

» Dr. James Hamilton found that he could administer testosterone to
» castrated males in a mental asylum and if they had a family history of
» baldness, they’d start to go bald.

Not only do they go bald, but they bald very rapidly.

After proving they would go bald, the next most interesting question Hamilton answered was this: Take a castrate with a genetic history of baldness, who was castrated prior to puberty, then give him androgen late in life, and at what speed will he lose his hair? Will he lose it gradually, over many years, like a typical bald man? The answer is no – he’ll go bald within several months (Hamilton quoted 6 months). This is interesting because it shows that the genetic clock keeps ticking inside hair follicles, whether or not the stimulus is there. Once the stimulus shows up, hair follicles immediately express their age.

I don’t know about bimatoprost (the active ingredient in Lumigan/Latisse), but another company just came out with a (pricey) hair loss product based on a chemically similar compound:

http://www.revitalash.com/product.php?ProductID=150

http://www.cosmeticsbusiness.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=3262&c=1

http://www.truthinaging.com/2009/01/revitalash-launches-hair-growth-product.html

January 23rd, 2009

Posted by Marta

Revitalash, the eyelash growth product made by Athena, is launching a product for thinning hair that will be in salons and spas in February.

Hair by RevitaLash is based on many of the same ingredients as the eyelash conditioning product. So the obvious question is whether this will contain the prostaglandin (glaucoma drug) that is the active ingredient that makes eyelashes grow like weeds.

The product is a foam that is to be massaged into the scalp wherever hair is thinning. Athena says pre-market test results show noticeable improvements in two weeks.

Also look out for Latisse by the makers of Botox, Allergan, at the end of this month. This eyelash growth product has been approved by the FDA and contains the drug bimatoprost (0.03% ). Bimatoprost is a glaucoma drug. The US National Library of Medicine outlines these possible side effects from bimatoprost (when used to treat glaucoma):

Bimatoprost may cause side effects. Tell your doctor if any of these symptoms are severe or do not go away:

• itchy eyes
  • dry eyes
  • burning eyes
  • eye pain or irritation
  • eye tearing
  • headaches

Some side effects can be serious. The following symptoms are uncommon, but if you experience any of them, call your doctor immediately:

• sensitivity to light
  • pink eye
  • redness or swelling of the eyelid

Bimatoprost may change the color of your eye (to brown) and darken the skin around the eye. It may also cause your eyelashes to grow longer and thicker and darken in color. These changes usually occur slowly, but they may be permanent.”

The ingredients for RevitaLash are (and probably the hair thining thing as it says it is based on many of the same ingredients).

“the ingredients are as follows:Water, Sodium Chloride, Panthenol, Citric Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Disodium Phosphate, Trifluoromethyl Dechloro Ethylprostenolamide, Cellulose Gum. The functional cosmetic ingredients in RevitaLash® are intended solely to beautify and enhance the appearance of your natural eyelashes.”

So it doesn’t seem to contain bimatoprost like latisse.

Athena said its hair loss formula will contain more bimatoprost than it’s eye lash version.
The FDA has just seized a company that was selling a similar product to latisse (Age Intervention Eyelash by Jan Marini Skin Research) for patent infringement, from what I could gather it has a higher concentration of bimatropriost (like the new latisse), maybe theres still some around some one could try?

I have been reading around a few alopecia areta forums where people seem most nterested in trying this.
The weaker formula with bimatriprost seems to do nothing or very very little for scalp growth.
Strangely enough the eyelash results are said to be unsatisfactory, people have reported unpredictable growth, it seems to grow better in some places more than others and there would be ‘patchy’ growth with other areas remaining bare. Thickness and length of the lash varries from lash to lash making eyelashes look odd.
Those were reported by Alopectia Areta sufferers and only a few so maybe other people could have had better results, I have also read some pretty good reviews with regards to eye lash growth.
So maybe Androgenic Alopecia will have better results.

In my opinion, I don’t expect this to be better than minoxidil. Seems more like a cosmetic thickner kind of thing.

» So it doesn’t seem to contain bimatoprost like latisse.

It contains Trifluoromethyl Dechloro Ethylprostenolamide, which is the active prostaglandin they are using in lieu of bimatoprost (Latisse). It’s a chemical knockoff of the glaucoma drugs, and works along the same biological pathway to produce its hair growth effects.

» In my opinion, I don’t expect this to be better than minoxidil. Seems more
» like a cosmetic thickner kind of thing.

I would expect it to give minoxidil-like effects in terms of hair growth.

» It contains Trifluoromethyl Dechloro Ethylprostenolamide, which is the
» active prostaglandin they are using in lieu of bimatoprost (Latisse). It’s
» a chemical knockoff of the glaucoma drugs, and works along the same
» biological pathway to produce its hair growth effects.

Ah, I see.

» I would expect it to give minoxidil-like effects in terms of hair growth.

Do you think it to be as effective as minoxidil though?
I have doubts but if it is it could be beneficial to use in combination with minox? could be a usefull adition to some people regimens.

» New Hair Loss Drug - Will It Help Or Hurt? Lumigan - Latisse - Nurse’s
»
»
»
» A new drug has been FDA approved for hair loss. Actually it was a drug
» used for another purpose and already on the market. The drug is called
» Lumigan and is going to be marketed as Latisse. Over time it was
» accidentally discovered that it could grow hair. How could this happen? The
» drug was being used for glaucoma and has been used for several years by
» glaucoma patients. When the drops were applied in the eye they would leak
» out of the side of the eye.
» This exposure to the medicine on the face caused hair to grow at the side
» of the eyes. So the drug maker, Allergan decided to first offer this drug
» for increasing the length, thickness and darkness of eyelashes.
» It’s now being marketed and sold for that purpose with the new name of
» Latisse while the drug is still also being marketed for glaucoma. Now this
» is for eyelashes.
»
»
» They’re working on the hair loss drug now and may possibly come to the
» market with it by the time you read this article if there are no glitches.
» They will probably change the name from Latisse but the chemical name will
» still be based on Lumigan and it will be more potent than the version of
» Lumigan for eyelashes. Because it is an established drug it will not have
» to go through as many rigid procedures in order to get it approved for this
» use. If they didn’t change the potency you could use it right now for hair
» loss.
» At this writing they plan to offer the hair loss drug as a hair loss cure
» or a baldness cure calling it a miracle hair loss drug and sell it for
» about $120 per month. There is no report on whether one would have to
» continue using it to avoid baldness, but that may be the case. If so that
» would make it a very expensive option each month. Also needless to say this
» drug will have side effects and risks as do all hair loss drugs, hair loss
» medicines and hair loss medications.
»
»
» Some of the side effects of Latisse for eyelashes are: itching skin or
» itching sensation, redness of the eyes, eyelid skin darkening, and actually
» darkening of the color of the eyes. So for a more potent version of Latisse
» or Lumigan there may be more side effects. And there may be so much risk
» and danger that they may not be able to market or continue marketing the
» drug for hair loss.
» In the meantime you don’t want to go out and get the glaucoma drug and rub
» it on because that wouldn’t be potent enough to grow hair or reverse
» baldness or cure alopecia arreata.

YO I GOT THE REAL CURE!!! let genetics take its course…let all ur hair fall out.but save every one that falls out…i mean every piece of hair…once this process is done…take all 50-80,000 hairs u lost…and just tape it back to ur hair…F the meds, surgeries and lack of erection…Its ur hair and better than EVER!!! Nothing like a scotch tape look head of hair…:slight_smile: