Kerastem Hair Growth Data

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by superhl[/postedby]
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/kerastem-hair-growth-data-presented-at-2015-international-society-of-hair-restoration-surgery-ishrs-annual-scientific-meeting-300140941.html[/quote]

I think that this is VERY interesting but I do have one BIG concern
about this type of treatment: the injected treatment may not stay in
the target area after it’s injected.

A lot of stem cell physicians are saying that injected adipose stem cells
leave the area they’re injected into within a few weeks after injection.
If Kerastem hasn’t found a way to make the injected cells stay in the
injected area I can’t imagine how Kerastem could possibly work.

Adipose stem cells grow hair by sending the appropriate growth factors
and proteins to the follicles. If the injected stem cells leave the scalp
area they won’t be able to send growth factors to scalp follicles.

Jarjar, I know this concept seems to be based on your favorite theory that generic body fat (adipose tissue) offers some key to treating MPB, but I don’t think it’s as simple and silver-bullet a treatment as you think. I do think this can possibly have some positive effect, but I’d like to see a more scientific breakdown of their results with pictures, rather than this vague report. The numbers actually don’t sound that spectacular, and probably when we see the real results, they won’t be that great.

I just don’t think taking fat and distilling it into some kind of essence that will miraculously yield clinical levels of stem cell growth factors, is going to be an answer that will grow back substantial amounts of people’s hair. Maybe help treat the early stages of MPB as a growth promoter and loss inhibitor, but nothing spectacular. It’s not the same thing as using the actual cells to regenrate follicles or grow new ones.

Overall, and I’m saying this more as informed speculation than knowing for certain about their results, Kerastem SOUNDS like a company that is just trying to capitalize on the latest “fad”, which is Adipose Derived Stem Cells, and anything to do with this fad. This is yet another blip on the screen, something connected with the current wave of enthusiasm for ADSCs and fat. Whenever there’s a wave of enthusiasm for something “new” in the hair loss industry, we see a wave of companies trying to cash in on the trend with a cleverly-placed product and marketing. They make their money and then quickly they get out, when people see it’s not anything like a cure.

Just my interpretation of this…

Actually Roger, I’m also somewhat unimpressed with this story.

There are clinics in Europe giving adipose derived stem cells as a treatment for hair loss and other medical conditions. A few posters at t.bt went and got those treatments but they reported no regrowth benefit. Now it was not the same clinic that is in the study so it may not be the exact same treatment.

I’m in communication with a couple of adipose stem cell clinics, one of them being the prestigious Okyanos heart center, and they are telling me that the overwhelming majority of adipose stem cells migrate out of the injected area within a week or two. Okyanos said “almost all of them” migrate out of the injected area within two weeks. Until someone solves this problem adipose derived stem cell treatment will probably just be a dream.

That having been said, it does look like this new study involved adipose stem cells that are mixed with other ingredients. Perhaps these other ingredients facilitate keeping the cells in the injected area. If that is the case then this new treatment might be very interesting.

Remember, Yale University says that the growth factors from these cells are all that is required to activate hair growth. So if you can keep these cells in the target area you might have some success…maybe even a lot of success. With that in mind, could any of the other ingredients mixed in with the adipose stem cells possibly act in such a way so as to keep those adipose stem cells stationed in the target area - directly underneath the follicles in the skin of the scalp?

It appears that the ingredients in the treatment are:

1. Stem Cells from Fat

2. Puregraft Fat

3. Enriched Fat.

Here are some key quotes from the article:

“The clinical approach utilizes purified adipose combined with stem and regenerative cells to deliver cell enriched tissue to the affected scalp.”

“According to Dr. Eric Daniels, Chief Medical Officer of Kerastem, “Fat and fat derived stem cells are becoming increasingly recognized as a vital participant in the normal cycle of hair growth.””

More information about this:

Here are some photos:

JarJar-

There are Kerastem clinics in Geneva and Madrid or at least the tech has been licensed to these clinics. Are you saying people have reported going to these particular clinics in Europe or to other clinics not associated with Kerastem but, still offering adipose stem cell therapy?

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Christopher1[/postedby]
JarJar-

There are Kerastem clinics in Geneva and Madrid or at least the tech has been licensed to these clinics. Are you saying people have reported going to these particular clinics in Europe or to other clinics not associated with Kerastem but, still offering adipose stem cell therapy?[/quote]

Well, I’m not quite sure. The two people who had adipose derived stem cell injections did so in Europe. It may have been in Geneva and Madrid. I will research t.bt and try to figure out what clinics those two posters went to.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by Christopher1[/postedby]
JarJar-

There are Kerastem clinics in Geneva and Madrid or at least the tech has been licensed to these clinics. Are you saying people have reported going to these particular clinics in Europe or to other clinics not associated with Kerastem but, still offering adipose stem cell therapy?[/quote]

I just checked the posts at the other site and it appears that 2 posters had their fat cell implants done at ddr heinrich’s clinic in Vienna. I don’t know how similar their treatments were to Kerastem. Kerastem may be a little different or it may be a lot different. They had it done in July and August of 2014. Neither of them reported any benefit.

How long have the Geneva and Mardrid clinic been offering Kerastem commercially? It seems like there would be big news about soon after it becomes commercially available (in Geneva and Madrid) if Kerastem patients get breakthrough success.

If it’s been available just a short while then that could explain why were not hearing big news about it but if it’s been available for a year or so then it’s not a good sign that we aren’t hearing big news about it.

[quote][postedby]Originally Posted by roger_that[/postedby]
Jarjar, I know this concept seems to be based on your favorite theory that generic body fat (adipose tissue) offers some key to treating MPB, but I don’t think it’s as simple and silver-bullet a treatment as you think. I do think this can possibly have some positive effect, but I’d like to see a more scientific breakdown of their results with pictures, rather than this vague report. The numbers actually don’t sound that spectacular, and probably when we see the real results, they won’t be that great.

I just don’t think taking fat and distilling it into some kind of essence that will miraculously yield clinical levels of stem cell growth factors, is going to be an answer that will grow back substantial amounts of people’s hair. Maybe help treat the early stages of MPB as a growth promoter and loss inhibitor, but nothing spectacular. It’s not the same thing as using the actual cells to regenrate follicles or grow new ones.

Overall, and I’m saying this more as informed speculation than knowing for certain about their results, Kerastem SOUNDS like a company that is just trying to capitalize on the latest “fad”, which is Adipose Derived Stem Cells, and anything to do with this fad. This is yet another blip on the screen, something connected with the current wave of enthusiasm for ADSCs and fat. Whenever there’s a wave of enthusiasm for something “new” in the hair loss industry, we see a wave of companies trying to cash in on the trend with a cleverly-placed product and marketing. They make their money and then quickly they get out, when people see it’s not anything like a cure.

Just my interpretation of this…[/quote]

Roger, I just emailed the investigators involved with the FDA backed Kerastem study. I’ve asked them if the Kerastem treatment involves a method for keeping the adipose cells in the injected/target area. If they indicate a method by which Kerastem keeps the injected fat cells in the injected/target area then I’m going to start feeling optimistic about Kerastem.

Right now, I’m feeling negative about it because two posters at a different site had fat cells injected at a Vienna clinic and they got no benefit. But that was over a year ago and perhaps Kerastem treatment overcomes the problems that prevented the Vienna treatment from working. I think that the main problem is keeping the injected fat cells located in the injected/target area.

I’ll update you if either of the investigators respond to my email.