Its amazing how

» The skin on the side or back produces healthy hair and inches from the skin
» on the scalp where the follicles dies. Maybe they need to see why DHT
» doesn’t kill the follicles on the side or the back and it does on the top
» of the head, the answer to that would open the door to the cure. :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay, I just read through this entire article. It does explain why DHT contributes to body hair growth and initially to hair growth on the head, before causing an eventual loss of hair to the scalp. However just like the other theories I’ve read about the cause of androgenic alopecia it does NOT explain why transplanted hair from the the back to the front of the head grows!

Correct me if I’m mistaken but this theory claims that DHT at some point causes:

1–Lack of blood flow to the front of the head, caused by the build-up of some “protein” (he doesn’t explain WHAT this protein is) which pushes down on the vasculature on the scalp
2–Oxygenation of the blood decreases
3–Thinning of the skin in the front of the scalp
4–Loss of fatty tissue in the front of the scalp

This all causes the cells that grow hair not to migrate to the proper location within the skin layer. However why wouldn’t these four factors ALSO not affect a hair that was transplanted from the back of the head to miniaturize?? Likewise why does a hair transplanted from the front of the scalp to the back eventually fall out just like it would if it were kept in the front of the head?

What am I missing??

Im not going to look up links for any of you, but I’ll tell you what past experiments have revealed.

The hair in the front and top of your head has more androgen receptors.

The skin in the front and top of your head has more DHT.

When HIGH androgen stimulis is added to ex vivo cultured hair follicles from the back and sides of the scalp, it will indeed respond negatively to those androgens, just like balding follicles from frontal scalp.

Transplanted hair maintains its characteristics (color and curl) when moved to another area of the scalp. Dark hair will stay dark even if moved to an area that is surrounded by grey hair and vice versa.

A small slice of skin is indeed moved with the grafts, so the “very close surround” is moved with grafts. It has to be. To trim a graft down to the bare follicle would remove the sebaceous gland and arrector pilli muscle that comes with it. The arrector pilli muscle is where some of the stem cells come from down to the dermal papilla when its time to start a new anagen phase.

Your body is covered with vellus hairs (look close at your shoulders when out in the sun, but they usually dont get to be large terminal hairs because they lack the genetic instructions to do so or they have less androgen receptors on them.

Experiments have shown that the dermal papilla releases substances that control the growth of the rest of the follicle. The dermal papilla’s cell walls have androgen receptors, and after uptaking these androgens (DHT), they release chemicals like TGF-beta 1, TGF beta 2, throbospondin, PKC, and others to the rest of the follicle. Balding hairs release more negative growth factors like TGF-beta instead of positive growth factors like Fiberblast growth factor 7.

If baldness is not in the follicles themselves, it would have to be in the VERY close surrounding skin, perhaps upstream of alpha-five redcutase like an overabundance of NADPH in this skin that gets more alpha five synthesized.
WE KNOW FOR A FACT, via a South Korean study, that they seven genes that are associated with alpha five reductase expression show that there is no differnce between balding and non-balding men in regards to this enzyme. However balding men have more DHT in their balding areas…so thats a bit of a quandry. There are a couple of pathways upstream of alpha five reductase that might get more of the enzyme synthesized in the scalp.

98.6% of all balding men have a particular variant of the androgen-receptor gene, but 76.1% of all NON-balding men have the same variant of the androgen-receptor gene. There is another gene strongly correllated with baldness on chromosome 20. When men have both these genes, they are 7 times more likely to be bald statistically. You need to have them both. The one on chromosome 20 is probably the biggest genetic factor, but there are a couple of more genes supposedly statistically correllated with baldness also. Perhaps having these genes in fetal development somehow “design” the follicle in such a way as to make it susceptible to androgens in later life.

When androgen is uptaken in the cells, several different androgen-inducible genes are activated. One of these genes overexpressing itself might be the reason for baldness upon androgenic uptake also.

Its probably in the papilla (genetics), but could be (although unlikely) just be a result of too much alpha five reductase getting synthesized in the very close surround.

We will have a method of ‘creating hair’ via HM or wounding before they figure out how to make it regrow in my opinion. Like Ive written before, miniaturized hairs lose CD200 immuno-marker cells, and thus their immune-status, so the immune system probably just keeps on attacking them if they have the tiniest bit of androgenic uptake.

One final note----------------dutasteride inhibits 51% of type 1 ALPHA five reductase and over 90% of type two alpha five reductase. It definitely inhibits most of your DHT, almost all of one kind if you take .5mgs a day.

enjoy, I really like this theory

» Im not going to look up links for any of you, but I’ll tell you what past
» experiments have revealed.

Excellent post, as usual.

» Im not going to look up links for any of you, but I’ll tell you what past
» experiments have revealed.
»
» The hair in the front and top of your head has more androgen receptors.
»
» The skin in the front and top of your head has more DHT.
»
»
»

Why the “…dear god” in your comment Benji? Are you “dear godding” me for my post or the theory presented by VK Soni??

Androgenic alopecia: A counterproductive outcome of the anabolic effect of androgens.
Med Hypotheses. 2009 May 22.

Androgenic alopecia: A counterproductive outcome of the anabolic effect of androgens.Soni VK.

The Journal of Medical Hypothesis has some very kooky baldness theories deposited therein. Experiments in the past have indeed moved thinning hair to other parts of the body, only to see it miniaturize RIGHT ON SCHEDULE like the other hairs from whence it came.

We see that hair keeps its characteristics when moved to different areas of the scalp in regards to color and curl. Baldness is “in” the follicles themselves almost certainly and if not, is in the skin of the -extremely-close surrouding area (the part that gets moved with hair transplant grafts). There is no need for any new hypothesis upon it. Your hair follicles are formed in the first trimester of your mothers pregnancy and their fate are pretty much decided by the time she has reached her third or fourth month. The changes seen in the scalp in androgenic alopecia are side-occurences in repsonse to the immunological attack on the follicles and the body’s response (excessive collagenous deposition betwen and under the follicle) to that attack. The Sebacous glands get larger and “cauliflowered”, and the arrector pilli muslce gets a bit misshappen, colllagen is secreted under the follicle and interconnected fibers happen in the root sheath kind of “boxing” the follicle in. It never ceases to amaze me how people want to attribute baldness to something other than their own genetics. Soni VK (whoever that is) is apparently no different. If he was right, transplants would eventually fall out…BUT THEY DONT.

The sides and back are LESS likely to be affected by DHT but they are still affected

anyone who thinks a NW6 or 7s, side and back hair is the same healthy hair as on a guy with no hair loss, is nuts

» The sides and back are LESS likely to be affected by DHT but they are still
» affected
»
» anyone who thinks a NW6 or 7s, side and back hair is the same healthy hair
» as on a guy with no hair loss, is nuts

hangin is right, I think if a man could live 200years, he would be completely bald (even in the sides and back) just 'cause more time => more loss

» We will have a method of ‘creating hair’ via HM or wounding before they
» figure out how to make it regrow in my opinion. Like Ive written before,
» miniaturized hairs lose CD200 immuno-marker cells, and thus their
» immune-status, so the immune system probably just keeps on attacking them
» if they have the tiniest bit of androgenic uptake.

benji, can you post the study that talks about minitaurized hairs & CD200 immuno-marker cells?