It is late 2010! Any updates on BHT?

Being one of the cursed with a lot of body hair, but a scantily clad scalp, I have been following the body hair to head hair transplant trend now and again. I am surprised that there are still such few WOW results out there (although I am glad there are a few WOW results). By now, you would think that surgeons such as Dr. P and Dr. U and Dr. W and Dr. C would have a good idea of what types of body hairs give reliable results when transplanted to the scalp.

I would guess that beard hair is the best hair to transplant to the head for most hirsute bald people, but is their a consensus on this in 2010?

Any people here had mostly or entirely BHTs and are happy with their results?

Thanks!

who is Dr. P ?

P = Poswal
U = Umar
W = Woods
C = Cole

I assume those four are the most experienced at this, although at least a dozen others offer BHT.

» Being one of the cursed with a lot of body hair, but a scantily clad scalp,
» I have been following the body hair to head hair transplant trend now and
» again. I am surprised that there are still such few WOW results out there
» (although I am glad there are a few WOW results). By now, you would think
» that surgeons such as Dr. P and Dr. U and Dr. W and Dr. C would have a good
» idea of what types of body hairs give reliable results when transplanted to
» the scalp.
»
» I would guess that beard hair is the best hair to transplant to the head
» for most hirsute bald people, but is their a consensus on this in 2010?
»
» Any people here had mostly or entirely BHTs and are happy with their
» results?
»
» Thanks!

Since BHT has been around for about 7+ years now, I wish there was more I could tell you but body hair remains very unpredictable. Sometimes the result is quite subtle, and sometimes the result is quite remarkable. Sometimes when the result is subtle, patients are happy with their results and sometimes they had their hopes up and find it disappointing. For this reason, it is definitely not Dr. Cole’s favorite medium to use. However, out of the different types of body hair, we’ve definitely seen some of the best yields with beard hair.

We receive a lot of inquiries from prospective patients interested in BHT. Unfortunately, we can never blindly tell a patient what sort of results they will have or what sort of yield or coverage they can expect. All of our BHT patients must first undergo a small test procedure prior to scheduling larger sessions. This is for the patient’s own best interest- to see what sort of yield and results they might achieve, and to determine whether they would be satisfied with a larger procedure.

When you extract body hair from the chest, the chest will sometimes heal flawlessly, but will sometimes heal with little white dots, or hypopigmentation. We have rarely seen this on the neck or back, but they most likely can occur there, as well. In addition, the legs and beard almost always heal without flaw, but there is always the possibility a patient could develop hypopigmentation here.

The bottom line is that scalp hair is a much better option. You should only use body hair as a last resort. If you are considering body hair, make sure you have a trial session prior to having a larger procedure done because it is much easier to accept a disappointing result from a small number of grafts than it is to accept a disappointing result from a large number of grafts. If you do opt for a procedure, you may want to try body hair from a few different sources. Make sure that the physician keeps the density and total number of grafts low, and uses anagen hairs. Body hair is not a good option for your hair line as it will almost always be courser than the desired diameter on the hairline and will likely grow in wavy, which could result in an unnatural growth angle. Don’t let any physician talk you into a large procedure because there are no guarantees and no physician can make body hair work for all cases.

Emile11 when you said “best yields with beard hair” are you talking about using beard hair for scar repair or for regular hair transplant?

» Emile11 when you said “best yields with beard hair” are you talking about
» using beard hair for scar repair or for regular hair transplant?

I was referring to regular hair transplants- out of the different regions where body hair can be extracted, hair from the beard area tends to be the most successful. However, I’d say that for scar repair, too, beard hair is second only to scalp hair in terms of what works best.

» P = Poswal
» U = Umar
» W = Woods
» C = Cole
»
» I assume those four are the most experienced at this, although at least a
» dozen others offer BHT.

Dear tembo,
I think readers would be genuinely confused if you refer to me as Dr. P.

I have maintained my signature and introduction as Dr. A.
This has nothing to do with surnames. Its just how it evolved long years ago.
I and most reader connect easier with me as Dr.A

Regards,
Dr. A