Is it irresponsible to have an aggressive HT in hope of HM?

I’m 25, and about a norwood 3v, but an aggressive one. I’ve been balding since 18. Would it be irresponsible to have an aggressive HT with the expectation that HM will be available in 5 to 10 years? What are your guys thoughts? Mine are that hair might be more valuable to me today than it will in 10 years. And in 10 years, I can get HM. Thoughts? I’ve had planty of time to think about this, and I’m thinking I might go for it in about 9 months when I can better judge my 1 year finasteride results and see how HM is progressing with phase 2

My advice: wait a year and see the results from Follica and Intercytex before having any HT, aggressive or not. The problem is that you have a low hairline HT now and Follica and Intercytex are miserable failures then you will have few options for filling in the crown and vertex. However, if you have a high hairline HT now and Follica and Intercytex are successful then you’ll probably regret the HT because the techniques by Follic and Intercytex will likely be inferior to a traditional HT for the hairline (although this is debatable, especially with Follica’s technique).

I should also add that the only reason hair won’t be as important to you 10 years from now is that you’ll realize that most women after age 25 don’t care about looks all that much. The fact is that after 25 most women are in I-want-a-guy-to-marry-mode and will care more about a guy’s social status and wealth than his hairline or body type. Just check out Fred Thompson’s wife and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

Best,
BB

» I’m 25, and about a norwood 3v, but an aggressive one. I’ve been balding
» since 18. Would it be irresponsible to have an aggressive HT with the
» expectation that HM will be available in 5 to 10 years? What are your guys
» thoughts? Mine are that hair might be more valuable to me today than it
» will in 10 years. And in 10 years, I can get HM. Thoughts? I’ve had planty
» of time to think about this, and I’m thinking I might go for it in about 9
» months when I can better judge my 1 year finasteride results and see how
» HM is progressing with phase 2

I feel the same way, my hair is more valuable to me now than 10 years later. I am itching to have something done. I am thinking of just using body hair so that it leaves my head hair intact and I will still have a 2nd chance with HM when it comes out.

» I’m 25, and about a norwood 3v, but an aggressive one. I’ve been balding
» since 18. Would it be irresponsible to have an aggressive HT with the
» expectation that HM will be available in 5 to 10 years? What are your guys
» thoughts? Mine are that hair might be more valuable to me today than it
» will in 10 years. And in 10 years, I can get HM. Thoughts? I’ve had planty
» of time to think about this, and I’m thinking I might go for it in about 9
» months when I can better judge my 1 year finasteride results and see how
» HM is progressing with phase 2

I think it is a poor idea to have an aggressive HT at your age and at your NW level. HM is not a guarantee; thus, you are coin-flipping your future and crossing your fingers. IMO, if you must get a HT, go for a mature hairline and forget about the teenage hairline. It is much safer to use caution now and hope that HM will come in the future to transform your adult HT hairline into a teenage hairline than it is to use up all your donor before you even hit 30 years old and gamble that a future fix will save you from a hideous life of walking around trying to score chicks with an obvious HT island. Let’s get one thing straight–most chicks will see ANY HT that looks obvious as a sign of being fearful and weak. Thus, it is much better to be completely bald than have a 30 thousand dollar HT that looks like a HT.

I’m not recommending against a HT. I am recommending, if you decide to get one, that you make darned certain that whatever work you get looks natural and stays looking natural as your hairloss progresses. Don’t mortgage your future looks just so you can get a little bit better result for today. Some people argue that, as you age, hairloss doesn’t bother you as much. That is complete BS. If anything it bothers you more because after a few decades you get sick of dealing with it every darned day. IOW, you get tired of waiting for the mythical HM to come wave the magic wand and make it all ok.

My advice is to try to curb your emotional sentiments and make your decisions using pure logic. You are much more likely to make a good decision without being emotionally attached than to let your id impulses make your major life’s decisions.

There is an old saying–don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

» » I’m 25, and about a norwood 3v, but an aggressive one. I’ve been balding
» » since 18. Would it be irresponsible to have an aggressive HT with the
» » expectation that HM will be available in 5 to 10 years? What are your
» guys
» » thoughts? Mine are that hair might be more valuable to me today than it
» » will in 10 years. And in 10 years, I can get HM. Thoughts? I’ve had
» planty
» » of time to think about this, and I’m thinking I might go for it in about
» » months when I can better judge my 1 year finasteride results and see
» how
» » HM is progressing with phase 2
»
» I think it is a poor idea to have an aggressive HT at your age and at your
» NW level. HM is not a guarantee; thus, you are coin-flipping your future
» and crossing your fingers. IMO, if you must get a HT, go for a mature
» hairline and forget about the teenage hairline. It is much safer to use
» caution now and hope that HM will come in the future to transform your
» adult HT hairline into a teenage hairline than it is to use up all your
» donor before you even hit 30 years old and gamble that a future fix will
» save you from a hideous life of walking around trying to score chicks with
» an obvious HT island. Let’s get one thing straight–most chicks will see
» ANY HT that looks obvious as a sign of being fearful and weak. Thus, it is
» much better to be completely bald than have a 30 thousand dollar HT that
» looks like a HT.
»
» I’m not recommending against a HT. I am recommending, if you decide to get
» one, that you make darned certain that whatever work you get looks natural
» and stays looking natural as your hairloss progresses. Don’t mortgage your
» future looks just so you can get a little bit better result for today. Some
» people argue that, as you age, hairloss doesn’t bother you as much. That is
» complete BS. If anything it bothers you more because after a few decades
» you get sick of dealing with it every darned day. IOW, you get tired of
» waiting for the mythical HM to come wave the magic wand and make it all
» ok.
»
» My advice is to try to curb your emotional sentiments and make your
» decisions using pure logic. You are much more likely to make a good
» decision without being emotionally attached than to let your id impulses
» make your major life’s decisions.
»
» There is an old saying–don’t count your chickens before they hatch.

one of the few voices of reason on the HM board

lets say you are in the early stages of thinning, then you get 7000 grafts thick wonderful looking hairline, your grafts are almost tapped out except for body hair or HM saving you, which may not happen

so then later you go to a NW7 and your thick super looking transplant is now an island sitting on top of severely receded sides and back, and you have NO donor hair to fix this

so basically not only do you have an obvious transplant, you look like a freak

1000 times better to be naturally bald , at least people accept that, looking like a freak they would not accept

» so then later you go to a NW7 and your thick super looking transplant is
» now an island sitting on top of severely receded sides and back, and you
» have NO donor hair to fix this

I totally agree,I do business with a bloke in his fifties with just that - He totally regrets it,and wishes he’d just gone bald.

AND whatever you do dont even think about a STRIP (also called FUT) surgery thats complete madness and butchering.

NB : I too disagree on the statement “You’ll feel ok with baldness when you get older”

Some great advice on here.

Here’s my input:

1. I agree to wait at least a few more months. ICX, Folica, and even Androscience(ASC-J9) are all scheduled to be releasing major info by the end of the summer.

2. Get FUE transplants right now because you might spare yourself the lifetime strip-scar if the advancements pan out. But just be aware that you are more than likely committing yourself to getting strip-HT work eventually if the advancements do not pan out on time. (FUE works, but the total harvestable grafts from your head are just not gonna be as high as a combination of FUE & strip.)

3. If you get HTs – Do whatever you want with thickening the hairline & front/center forelock, just leave the damn temples at least a little recessed until we know more about the future. It’s SO MUCH EASIER to make a thick NW#2-2.5 hairline look natural with a balding crown than trying to deal with a NW#1 hairline and a graft shortage.

I would not do it man.

Dont have a HT you will deeply regret it !!!

Not everyone regrets all HTs. Plenty of guys think their HTs are some of the best money they’ve ever spent.

Just do it wisely.