Interesting Cotsarelis comment

Source:

http://www.sciencefriday.com/news/051807/news0518071.html

See the sound clips, especially the one called “Try this at home?”.

Cotsarelis says:

“I think wounding alone is not going to do it. The compound alone is probably not going to do it. But together, I think it’s more likely to happen.”

This quote is more than a year old (which means it’s probably based on data from around 2 years ago), but it shows that you probably need both pieces for success: the wound (or some other kind of damage), as well as an appropriate cellular stimulus (in our case, a drug that effectively inhibits EGF).

» Source:
»
» http://www.sciencefriday.com/news/051807/news0518071.html

BTW, rev initially posted the link to this article.

» » Source:
» »
» » http://www.sciencefriday.com/news/051807/news0518071.html
»
» BTW, rev initially posted the link to this article.

Fifty years ago, several researchers reported seeing mammals (rabbits and humans) generate new hair follicles as adults. Hair follicle production was thought to occur only in embryos. A short controversy ensued, but was put to rest when a researcher named William Straile published a paper in the journal Investigative Dermatology concluding that there was no good evidence to support the claim.

Straile’s paper was widely accepted until this week, when George Cotsarelis, Mayumi Ito and colleagues published a new paper in the journal Nature, showing that adult mice can re-grow hair, the mice just have to be seriously wounded to do it.

William Straile, basically killed research into this area in the 1960’s without even testing it. Just think, baldness might have been solved by the 1970s if it weren’t for this man’s assuming behavior. Experiments should never be dissuaded.

» William Straile, basically killed research into this area in
» the 1960’s without even testing it. Just think, baldness might have been
» solved by the 1970s if it weren’t for this man’s assuming behavior.
» Experiments should never be dissuaded.

damm f-ingggg guy mannn we could of has great hairrrrr by now… i think costarelis is the man :slight_smile: he will fix this lol… it just feels like the time for this to happen… idk why butt i think costarelises experiment is the one… it doesnt seem to good to be true, just seems right… what seems to good to be true are those commercials that advertise stupid topical treatments that claim to bring all ur hair backk… now thats a cheap knock off.

benji
William Straile, basically killed research into this area in
the 1960’s without even testing it. Just think, baldness might have been
solved by the 1970s if it weren’t for this man’s assuming behavior.
Experiments should never be dissuaded.

baldbaby and his posse of pessimists could learn something from that little tidbit of history

follicawork!
damm f-ingggg guy mannn we could of has great hairrrrr by now… i think costarelis is the man he will fix this lol… it just feels like the time for this to happen… idk why butt i think costarelises experiment is the one… it doesnt seem to good to be true, just seems right… what seems to good to be true are those commercials that advertise stupid topical treatments that claim to bring all ur hair backk… now thats a cheap knock off.

I have the same gut feeling… but you won’t see me get too excited until I see proof-of concept (on living breathing humans) from Follica.

I’m a bit more demanding. Living breathing male pattern bald guy who grows useable hair will be enough for me. Everything else is cheating.

Debris, you already got him.

And you still don’t have much optimism this will work.

» Debris, you already got him.
»
» And you still don’t have much optimism this will work.

Do you know there is this girl who was given a liver transplant and the liver blood type became her blood type. Shes the first human whose immune system has been changed. She now has immune system of the donor, so she does not have to take immunosupressive drugs.

First case ever. In theory this is something that could cure us as well. Balding is just organ rejection.

Why I’m I saying it? One case is not a science. Useful science starts with replication. The girl is the only one, and no one is able to reproduce it.

» Source:
»
» http://www.sciencefriday.com/news/051807/news0518071.html
»
» See the sound clips, especially the one called “Try this at home?”.
»
» Cotsarelis says:
»
» “I think wounding alone is not going to do it. The compound alone is
» probably not going to do it. But together, I think it’s more likely to
» happen.”
»
» This quote is more than a year old (which means it’s probably based on
» data from around 2 years ago), but it shows that you probably need both
» pieces for success: the wound (or some other kind of damage), as well as an
» appropriate cellular stimulus (in our case, a drug that effectively
» inhibits EGF).

Very interesting! Cotsarelis says they likely need to do dermabrasion or something less invasive, so maybe the chemical peels are enough afterall. He also says they still are in preclinical and hopefully, eventually will be doing clinical trials. This interview is from may 18 so I guess we will have to wait for the clinical trials a bit longer than we are hoping for.

Edit: My mistake. It was posted may 18 2007!

Hey Debris, you named the criteria. I just pointed out that your criteria had been met already.

:smiley: