I\'ve been shedding for 6 months, is this normal?

Hi

I have been on propecia for nearly 6 months, and when I started I had a pretty good head of hair, I only really started taking them through fear that I would start losing my hair quite badly, as my brother did. Anyway, I asked him what I should do and he recommended propecia, so I began taking it.

After 3 months, I started getting extremely panicky as my hair was seriously shedding around 300 hairs a day, and my brother told me this was a normal side effect and that things would get better. However 6 months on, my hair is still shedding at a rate which it was never doing before I started propecia and in all I’m really regretting ever touching the stuff (sometimes I’m actually noticing differences on a weekly basis). I’m using nanogen fibres everyday to cover up the bold spot on the back of my head now, as for the fringe I used to have, it is pretty much non-existent anymore!

I spoke to Hairsite about this and they suggested I see it out for another 3-6 months.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and come through it with any positive results? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

P.S Just bought the HairMax Lasercomb in the hope it might help some of the shrinking hairs thicken/grow back.

are you sure you are not hallucinating.

people who start taking propecia or any other drug for hairloss begin checking their hair so frantically everyday that they begin to imagine things.

i would suggest giving it a year and adding some objectivity to it. start taking pictures of your hair under the same condition (same distance from camera, same lighting, same length of hair, even same shirt).

do so every month till the end of the year and track your progress.

propecia should let you keep most of the hair that you might otherwise have lost to baldness genes.

and don’t forget to post your pics on here for the benefit of those who have taken the time to advise you.

» are you sure you are not hallucinating.
»
» people who start taking propecia or any other drug for hairloss begin
» checking their hair so frantically everyday that they begin to imagine
» things.
»
» i would suggest giving it a year and adding some objectivity to it. start
» taking pictures of your hair under the same condition (same distance from
» camera, same lighting, same length of hair, even same shirt).
»
» do so every month till the end of the year and track your progress.
»
» propecia should let you keep most of the hair that you might otherwise
» have lost to baldness genes.
»
» and don’t forget to post your pics on here for the benefit of those who
» have taken the time to advise you.

If guys are shedding for months on end, sorry to say, its NOT NORMAL
you guys seem convinced of this shedding is good. theory, It is not necessarily good and it is not a requirement for regrowth, and it WONT always grow back

if you are shedding, I say stop the treatment

Last year I shed for 7 months altogether, starting from 140 hairs a day to reach 240. Didn’t see much of a difference until the 5th month. Revivogen got me out of this mess. But I believe that this long shed between 07/03 and 07/10 was due to the downgrading of finasteride from 3.5 to 2.5 mg a day in 06/11 that made me lose what I had gained with 3.5mg.

» Last year I shed for 7 months altogether, starting from 140 hairs a day to
» reach 240. Didn’t see much of a difference until the 5th month. Revivogen
» got me out of this mess. But I believe that this long shed between 07/03
» and 07/10 was due to the downgrading of finasteride from 3.5 to 2.5 mg a
» day in 06/11 that made me lose what I had gained with 3.5mg.

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, I’m gonna try out what Freddie has suggested but with a few other things. Just got the Lasercomb today and I’m gonna try this out with some natrual/herbal remedies. I’ll keep you posted on how things go.

thanks guys.

» » Last year I shed for 7 months altogether, starting from 140 hairs a day
» to
» » reach 240. Didn’t see much of a difference until the 5th month.
» Revivogen
» » got me out of this mess. But I believe that this long shed between
» 07/03
» » and 07/10 was due to the downgrading of finasteride from 3.5 to 2.5 mg
» a
» » day in 06/11 that made me lose what I had gained with 3.5mg.
»
» Just wanted to say thanks for the advice, I’m gonna try out what Freddie
» has suggested but with a few other things. Just got the Lasercomb today
» and I’m gonna try this out with some natrual/herbal remedies. I’ll keep
» you posted on how things go.
»
» thanks guys.

if you try natural make sure to get on Maxi Hair and a chelated mineral, along with the internal DHT blockers if you decide to go that route

what herbs were u going to try

Winkle, you need to be careful about making rash decisons. Firstly you shouldn’t have started because your brother lost his hair, you only start on hairloss products because you are desperate and need them.

You must have been slightly desperate because I don’t know anyone who would risk the sexual side effects if they didn’t think they were going bald.

Also sheds are normal, hairsite had one, almost all people who have been good responders have one, and most people who work in this section of the medical world explain that sheds may be experienced, just as this happens with minoxidil. I personally shed for 9 months before my hairloss stabilized, and yea I got worried but I had no other option and I decided to sit it out.

That hair you have lost you were gonna lose soon anyway. The propecia has just kicked this out. What I find interesting from an earlier post is you said that you shed was slowing down, isn’t that an extremely positive thing. Taking these medicines is hard, and at times painful. I didn’t leave the house after about three months on propecia and topik became my saviour. There is no other alternative. DHT causes baldness and with these things you must look for all the positives in your regime as possible.

Plus when you start these drugs you look more in the mirror anyway and you feel as if your getting balder, it’s a hard thing to cope with - it’s a bit like eating disorders.

Just remeber those people who don’t believe in the shed were those people who were to scared to carry on with propecia through theirs. They to could have seen there hair loss stabilize as yours has begun to.

Do what you think is right, but research the propecia shed on the net, that hair you lost through taking propecia will not grow back, it was gonna go anyway.

Good luck and keep on believing.

» Do what you think is right, but research the propecia shed on the net,
» that hair you lost through taking propecia will not grow back, it was
» gonna go anyway.
»
» Good luck and keep on believing.

Just to cover that last point. If you stop propecia now that hair you lost won’t grow back.

» » Do what you think is right, but research the propecia shed on the net,
» » that hair you lost through taking propecia will not grow back, it was
» » gonna go anyway.
» »
» » Good luck and keep on believing.
»
» Just to cover that last point. If you stop propecia now that hair you lost
» won’t grow back.

if the hair you lost, you were going to lose anyways, and by lose, you mean fall out in the natural fallout and regrow cycle…not lose as in , you were going to lose this hair and have it not grow back anyways

if it was hair you were going to lose in the normal fallout and regrow cycle, and the prop just speeded this up, why would this hair not grow back if you stopped the prop?

This is something that we have talked about for years. The common thought is that propecia will get rid of the hair that was going to fall out due to mpb, and this is then the hair that propecia will replace.

I would guess if you stopped the propecia you would increase your dht levels making it impossible for the new hairs (which would have grown due to lower dht levels caused by propecia) to grow. However this is just a theory.

I stuck with propecia through a nine month shed and it helped. There is no real cure for this, but it would seem we all agree that DHT is the cause.

You must agree with me hanginginthere as you take Saw Palmetto, which is a DHT blocker. I just don’t understand why people get off propecia to take something that does the same job, but just not as well.

For example if I have a killer headache I take two painkillers, not one.

Maybe the shedding stops with Saw Palmetto due to the fact that it is weaker and not doing what the propecia is doing at the same speed, however the end result should still be the same. (shedding but not as noticeable)

If you are saying a massive shed with propecia is not going to bring positive results, surely changing to Saw Palmetto will not improve this as it is doing the same.

I for one believe strongly in the shed and I think most responders to propecia also believe in this. Wait at least a year to start concluding on results, and will people stop thinking there is some quick fix.

If one tablet of propecia made all your hair grow back no one would be bald. This is a battle and I know that you Hanginginthere have spent time researching it as I can tell by your regime. It is important that all people that get on propecia research the good and bad points before hand, and are willing to stick those bad points out.

Did you have a bad experience with Propecia hanginginthere? And if so why did you then decide that using another DHT blocker was a good idea?

» This is something that we have talked about for years. The common thought
» is that propecia will get rid of the hair that was going to fall out due
» to mpb, and this is then the hair that propecia will replace.
»
» I would guess if you stopped the propecia you would increase your dht
» levels making it impossible for the new hairs (which would have grown due
» to lower dht levels caused by propecia) to grow. However this is just a
» theory.
»
» I stuck with propecia through a nine month shed and it helped. There is no
» real cure for this, but it would seem we all agree that DHT is the cause.
»
» You must agree with me hanginginthere as you take Saw Palmetto, which is a
» DHT blocker. I just don’t understand why people get off propecia to take
» something that does the same job, but just not as well.
»
» For example if I have a killer headache I take two painkillers, not one.
»
» Maybe the shedding stops with Saw Palmetto due to the fact that it is
» weaker and not doing what the propecia is doing at the same speed, however
» the end result should still be the same. (shedding but not as noticeable)
»
» If you are saying a massive shed with propecia is not going to bring
» positive results, surely changing to Saw Palmetto will not improve this as
» it is doing the same.
»
» I for one believe strongly in the shed and I think most responders to
» propecia also believe in this. Wait at least a year to start concluding on
» results, and will people stop thinking there is some quick fix.
»
» If one tablet of propecia made all your hair grow back no one would be
» bald. This is a battle and I know that you Hanginginthere have spent time
» researching it as I can tell by your regime. It is important that all
» people that get on propecia research the good and bad points before hand,
» and are willing to stick those bad points out.
»
» Did you have a bad experience with Propecia hanginginthere? And if so why
» did you then decide that using another DHT blocker was a good idea?

are you saying that these sheds always grow back, I have heard of many sheds that never grew back

Now you are saying that the hair that is shedding would have been lost to MPB anyways and the prop just speeded this up. That is not my understanding, and if that is the case, the prop would be worsening and accelerating the MPB. advancing the MPB loss by several years, which then would regrow because the DHT was cleaned out. This makes no sense.

When I started the Saw Palmetto my hair was shedding 300 hairs a day BEFORE i started it, and within 2 weeks that went down to like 10 hairs a day and never went back up. In my estimation the 20 yr accumulation of DHT buildup had caused the immune system to attack the DHT and somehow the Saw Palmetto interrupted this process. Certainly something amazing and powerful happened since the fallout never came back and from the day I started on the Saw Palmetto and also adding other dht blockers within the next several years, my hair thickened and regrew tremendously.

I think your theory that this hair was due to fall out by MPB makes no sense, why would the hairs be falling out then with the prop if it is cleaning out the current DHT presently accumulated and preventing future accumulation. Seems to me the hair should do better from Day 1. Now if the theory is the hair cycle that hair was due to fall out anyways, and it fell out a month or two early, since the growth and fallout cycle was interrupted, that would make sense

Well, regarding this shed many first time users experience with propecia, the common theory is that the hair shaft and bulb go thru a complete do-over thatpushes the old hair out …
Hanging:

1. did you ever felt any sexual sides effects with your regimen, whethet for better or worse
  2. You take “nettles”. I understand this is nettle root. How much a day?

Baldybaldness: propecia is s**t. It has ruined my libido and I am currently trying to replace it with natural DHT inhibitors.

» Well, regarding this shed many first time users experience with propecia,
» the common theory is that the hair shaft and bulb go thru a complete
» do-over thatpushes the old hair out …
» Hanging:
» 1) did you ever felt any sexual sides effects with your regimen, whethet
» for better or worse
» 2) You take “nettles”. I understand this is nettle root. How much a day?
»
» Baldybaldness: propecia is s**t. It has ruined my libido and I am
» currently trying to replace it with natural DHT inhibitors.

i have only once heard of side effects from Saw Palmetto, the guy said he got boobs, strange
but for the most part the only thing I have heard of is the opposite, increased libido, why this is, I am not sure but it is certainly true in my case

my nettles root powder is 500mg per day, my regimen is in my signature

Brm is correct, the hair that was due to be lost is pushed out by propecia, and then regrows thicker and stronger.

This is certainly what has happened for me, and lots of others who have posted and talked about this issue.

Brm I don’t actually use propecia I used to, but then changed to avodart when it was released. How long were you on it? Also surely the fact that a DHT inhibator gave you sexual side effects, then Saw Palmetto will do the same. (oh could it be something that plays on your mind due to the warnings)

My point is that a shed is something that is worrying, however it has been proven time and time again that if you sit it out things will be ok in the end.

It is my belief that we all respond differently and how long the shed lasts depends on the individual, I had a particulary long 9 month shed, but I got through it. Those people who do not like both propecia or avodart give up because sitting the shed out scares them too much, or the side effects (sexually) become to much. This is fair enough. However around the world there are many satisfied customers with these drugs, who just don’t post because there hair loss has slowed to a point where they have forgotten about it.

I am not saying propecia or avodart are miracle cures, I would still like more hair and something needs to be developed so I too can have hair like when I was 15. But for now this is what we have and we must all work together to give advice that applies to ourselves, which could possibly help others in there quest to succeed.

In fairness brm I had sexual side effects when I started propecia, but as it says if you carry on taking the drug these will disappear, and they did.

» Brm is correct, the hair that was due to be lost is pushed out by propecia,
» and then regrows thicker and stronger.
»
» This is certainly what has happened for me, and lots of others who have
» posted and talked about this issue.
»
» Brm I don’t actually use propecia I used to, but then changed to avodart
» when it was released. How long were you on it? Also surely the fact that a
» DHT inhibator gave you sexual side effects, then Saw Palmetto will do the
» same. (oh could it be something that plays on your mind due to the
» warnings)
»
» My point is that a shed is something that is worrying, however it has been
» proven time and time again that if you sit it out things will be ok in the
» end.
»
» It is my belief that we all respond differently and how long the shed
» lasts depends on the individual, I had a particulary long 9 month shed,
» but I got through it. Those people who do not like both propecia or
» avodart give up because sitting the shed out scares them too much, or the
» side effects (sexually) become to much. This is fair enough. However
» around the world there are many satisfied customers with these drugs, who
» just don’t post because there hair loss has slowed to a point where they
» have forgotten about it.
»
» I am not saying propecia or avodart are miracle cures, I would still like
» more hair and something needs to be developed so I too can have hair like
» when I was 15. But for now this is what we have and we must all work
» together to give advice that applies to ourselves, which could possibly
» help others in there quest to succeed.
»
» In fairness brm I had sexual side effects when I started propecia, but as
» it says if you carry on taking the drug these will disappear, and they
» did.

propecia reduces SERUM DHT LEVELS, saw palmetto does not,
big differnce in side effects

My sexual health was very good when I wasn’t taking any dht inhibitor. It became acceptable with propecia and plummeted with 2.5 then 3.5 mg daily. The problem is that 1mg is way toolittle in my case to save my hair. Even 2.5 has lately become inadequate. That’s why I’m turning to natural DHT I. Plus revivogen. I think I’ll give up fiasteride altogether if I can. Or at 1mg tops but not more. This drug is dangerous and I’ve been taking it for 9 years.