I tried PRP (and got "no" results)

hi guys,

As numerous baldies round here i tryed PRP. I didn’t want to test HT because it sucks plain, 'nuf said. So i decided to try the PRP stuff which is available and not so expensive (~500$) compared to butchery.

I tryed the stuff back in april : 4 sessions spaced about 3,4 weeks each. Last sessions was end July. The treatment consisted in injections of my own plasma only (no needling). It was combined with LED’s sessions of 10 minutes each.

My situation is as follow : 31 yo, damn sexy and intelligent, norwood V. Nobody’s perfect i guess, even me.

Been balding since 17,18 yo. I must have tryed every other topical on the planet with zero improvment. I don’t want to take internals, since i don’t know how it would (badly) affect my health in the long term.

I’m on minox only for a year now (no need to say it does not work). I buzz cut my head extremly short, so i would easily notice if something works, or doesn’t.

My results from PRP are as follow: no results. It MAY have halted the baldness what so ever and give my hair a little boost, but it’s so barely visible that i cannot say it worked to some very poor extent or simply didn’t do anything. As i’m also on minox, i can fairly assume it didn’t do anything.

Here’s my report, don’t take it as granted, just my experience from PRP.

cheers

Thanks for your account. I am sorry it didn’t work for you.
From the photos posted by Dr. Jones, I think it didn’t work for him either.

» hi guys,
»
» As numerous baldies round here i tryed PRP. I didn’t want to test HT
» because it sucks plain, 'nuf said. So i decided to try the PRP stuff which
» is available and not so expensive (~500$) compared to butchery.
»
»
» I tryed the stuff back in april : 4 sessions spaced about 3,4 weeks each.
» Last sessions was end July. The treatment consisted in injections of my own
» plasma only (no needling). It was combined with LED’s sessions of 10
» minutes each.
»
» My situation is as follow : 31 yo, damn sexy and intelligent, norwood V.
» Nobody’s perfect i guess, even me.
»
» Been balding since 17,18 yo. I must have tryed every other topical on the
» planet with zero improvment. I don’t want to take internals, since i don’t
» know how it would (badly) affect my health in the long term.
»
» I’m on minox only for a year now (no need to say it does not work). I buzz
» cut my head extremly short, so i would easily notice if something works, or
» doesn’t.
»
»
» My results from PRP are as follow: no results. It MAY have halted the
» baldness what so ever and give my hair a little boost, but it’s so barely
» visible that i cannot say it worked to some very poor extent or simply
» didn’t do anything. As i’m also on minox, i can fairly assume it didn’t do
» anything.
»
» Here’s my report, don’t take it as granted, just my experience from PRP.
»
» cheers

I don’t want to sound like an advocate for PRP but I’m hardly surprised.

The needling aspect is integral to the whole concept of the treatment as its the healing of the little wounds (and then the introduction of the growth factors in the plasma) that is behind the whole idea of how PRP is supposed to work.

Secondly, even the proponents of PRP have said that (at best) it might thicken existing hair and prevent further loss and it is of little to no benefit in hairless areas. If you’re a NW5 I’m not exactly sure what you were expecting. PRP MAY (emphasis on MAY) be little more than a thickener or alternative / adjunct to Fin. It’s not HM and has never been touted as such.

Where did you get that done? Jones or Greco ?

» If you’re a NW5 I’m not exactly sure what you
» were expecting.

I was hardly expecting anything, thickening of the existing hair maybe. But it costed me nothing to try (500$ bucks i could afford).

Speaking of the needling, it probably adds improvement. However, I’m not convinced either of the photos I saw with that technique.

I did it in France, the procedure is quite simple. Anyone could perform it (don’t! lol).

cheers

So, what do you guys think. Does a PRP-treatment ‘halt’ the balding process, or will it basically not make any difference?

cheers

» So, what do you guys think. Does a PRP-treatment ‘halt’ the balding
» process, or will it basically not make any difference?
»
»
» cheers

I don’t know anything about this technically, but I’m guessing a few things that seem to be common sense:

1. Regular PRP treatments are likely to be incredibly expensive, because ir probably costs a lot of money to draw the blood, centrifuge it down to make it “platelet rich”, etc. Basically a doctor, nurse or medical technologist has to do this, under sterile laboratory conditions, and the labor costs alone would be expensive.

2. A treatment probably doesn’t last very long because once the stuff is injected into your scalp, the plasma and the platelets probably diffuse through the skin, veins, etc. and disperse rather quickly, going into the general bloodstream, all within hours or at the maximum, days from the injection. Any effect they are having is likely to last only hours or days long, before more injections are needed.

3. It’s not likely to grow hair, I don’t think anyone was ever seriously making that claim. I think Dr. Jones and the rest were touting it as a way of improving healing, and as far as that part goes, it probably has some positive effect.

Greco PRP recipient here. Really, no results to report at all. I’ve continued to lose hair in the 6-7 months or so since I had my treatment. I don’t blame anyone for that… I knew it was unproven and unguaranteed and I wanted to take a shot at it.

» » So, what do you guys think. Does a PRP-treatment ‘halt’ the balding
» » process, or will it basically not make any difference?
» »
» »
» » cheers
»
» I don’t know anything about this technically, but I’m guessing a few
» things that seem to be common sense:
»
» 1) Regular PRP treatments are likely to be incredibly expensive, because
» ir probably costs a lot of money to draw the blood, centrifuge it down to
» make it “platelet rich”, etc. Basically a doctor, nurse or medical
» technologist has to do this, under sterile laboratory conditions, and the
» labor costs alone would be expensive.
»
» 2) A treatment probably doesn’t last very long because once the stuff is
» injected into your scalp, the plasma and the platelets probably diffuse
» through the skin, veins, etc. and disperse rather quickly, going into the
» general bloodstream, all within hours or at the maximum, days from the
» injection. Any effect they are having is likely to last only hours or
» days long, before more injections are needed.
»
» 3) It’s not likely to grow hair, I don’t think anyone was ever seriously
» making that claim. I think Dr. Jones and the rest were touting it as a way
» of improving healing, and as far as that part goes, it probably has some
» positive effect.

I would be cautious, it is to new for the treatment of hair loss, been around about 20 years, but used for other things, when researching PRP in general, there were some potential side effects, and the researchers stated that it could cause bad cells to grow. It seems like a lot of dr.s are jumpimg on the bandwagon looking to cash in. Might want to ask for something in writing from the dr. if you are going to get it done, also if it doesn’t work get in writing that you will get your money back.

» Greco PRP recipient here. Really, no results to report at all. I’ve
» continued to lose hair in the 6-7 months or so since I had my treatment. I
» don’t blame anyone for that… I knew it was unproven and unguaranteed and
» I wanted to take a shot at it.

Thanks for sharing bro, another one to cross off my list.

» » Greco PRP recipient here. Really, no results to report at all. I’ve
» » continued to lose hair in the 6-7 months or so since I had my treatment.
» I
» » don’t blame anyone for that… I knew it was unproven and unguaranteed
» and
» » I wanted to take a shot at it.
»
»
» Thanks for sharing bro, another one to cross off my list.

I think PRP is a joke and I abhore the photos posted by these surgeons. Obvious tainting with the photos with different hair styles etc. Just disgusting. Isnt ethics a great part of being a medical doctor?

» » » Greco PRP recipient here. Really, no results to report at all. I’ve
» » » continued to lose hair in the 6-7 months or so since I had my
» treatment.
» » I
» » » don’t blame anyone for that… I knew it was unproven and
» unguaranteed
» » and
» » » I wanted to take a shot at it.
» »
» »
» » Thanks for sharing bro, another one to cross off my list.
»
» I think PRP is a joke and I abhore the photos posted by these surgeons.
» Obvious tainting with the photos with different hair styles etc. Just
» disgusting. Isnt ethics a great part of being a medical doctor?

I agree. Just asking myself how much money Feller has earned for PRP alone. Enough to fill his bathtub already?

» » » » Greco PRP recipient here. Really, no results to report at all. I’ve
» » » » continued to lose hair in the 6-7 months or so since I had my
» » treatment.
» » » I
» » » » don’t blame anyone for that… I knew it was unproven and
» » unguaranteed
» » » and
» » » » I wanted to take a shot at it.
» » »
» » »
» » » Thanks for sharing bro, another one to cross off my list.
» »
» » I think PRP is a joke and I abhore the photos posted by these surgeons.
» » Obvious tainting with the photos with different hair styles etc. Just
» » disgusting. Isnt ethics a great part of being a medical doctor?
»
»
» I agree. Just asking myself how much money Feller has earned for PRP
» alone. Enough to fill his bathtub already?

Agreed. ironically theyre hurting themselves more than anything else. the greed for more money at the expense of those earning it with their hard earned sweat and blood with nothing to show for it, will just grow bigger and bigger. I bet this post will get deleted again and again and again and again like the rest of my posts. but its quite stomach twisting and pathetic to see threads disapear because a truth was leaked out about one of the sponsoring surgeons, a lie was detected, or too many questions were being asked.

i wont mention any names as they know who they are and they r just 1% of the many that exist. BS youtube videos, BS pictures, BS 50 grand websites, BS salesman… the responsibilty of a medical doctor, cosmetic or not, is to genuinely provide the facts and disclose everything to their patiants or anyone who asks about their medical inquiries. these r business con artists at their best, abusing their trust from the public because we put in them a lot of trust…literally with our lives. we walk into their clinic knowing these r medical professioals, doctors, highly respected surgeons. Little do we know they they look at us as walking dollar signs, abuse our trust knowing we will believe anything they say. rape us in their chairs. send us home. and any complaint u make on the internet to reach out for help will get washed away by the same sites on their payroll. too much screaming for help and u’ll receive a law suit in ure mail giving you an altimatum to either stfu or file for defense with preparations to lose because the paper work you signed confidently u thought did not have any fine print on it to screw u over later on because this was a “doctor” and doctors would never do such a thing…but then, u realize.

look on these very same forums. unhappy patiants that express their desires to speak up are told by the clinic “its ure fault, not ours”. if ure going to put aside ure morals and ethics of a medical doctor and be a businessman, then atleast remember the rule of thumb “the customer is always right”.

a new industry and a new group needs to come into place that does nothing but keep a real close eye on these cosmetic surgeons. lisenses need to be revoked to set examples. oh wait a minute, we do have such a group…but theyre paid under the table by these same exact surgeons. i wish i didnt have any docs in my fam cause i hate knowing what i know.

and now this post shall do like magic, and dissapear…

we are not patiants. we are customers receiving the highest level and form of Royalty Screwing.

The same applies for most HT docs too I’m afraid.

» I think PRP is a joke and I abhore the photos posted by these surgeons.
» Obvious tainting with the photos with different hair styles etc. Just
» disgusting. Isnt ethics a great part of being a medical doctor?

i sincerly doubt any doctor adminstrating this is “cashing” in, as they all seem to be charging basic facility cost to cover the precoedure. the question is will it stop further progression of hairloss for a sustainable time? it will do little for a NW V, but what about someone that is a NW 3 and wants to halt the progression of hairloss? it’s well documented that propecia and minox will be effective for only so long, and as someone who has been on both drugs for 7 years now and seeing the results diminish quickly, im forced to look into other avenues to salvage the hair i have.

» I would be cautious, it is to new for the treatment of hair loss, been
» around about 20 years, but used for other things, when researching PRP in
» general, there were some potential side effects, and the researchers stated
» that it could cause bad cells to grow. It seems like a lot of dr.s are
» jumpimg on the bandwagon looking to cash in. Might want to ask for
» something in writing from the dr. if you are going to get it done, also if
» it doesn’t work get in writing that you will get your money back.

I hear patient say ‘propecia does not work for me’ almost every day. ‘I do not see any change’ is also frequently heared.

Why ?

Because they have been misinformed about finasteride or are having too high expectations. Remember, finasteride works best at slowing down further hairloss.

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of people that are using finasteride and yet there are just a handfull of WOW results among them.

Should we just stop advicing patient from taking propecia because the results are usually not WOW ?

Same for PRP I guess. I believe it does work for most people, just like finasteride. However there will be few WOW effects.

I would be happy if PRP could just halt further hairloss for a while, that would already be a major achievemtent.
:slight_smile: