HT with Dr. Bauman (please read)

I am writing this thread to reflect my current thoughts. I spoke to Dr.Alan Bauman yesterday and he offered to do another FUE Neograft procedure to fill in the scars. He assured me that 900-1200 grafts could easily be obtained from my donor area. I am hesitant to do another procedure with him at this time since I do not know the results of my 4th HT. I will continue to document my growth with the last procedure.

What I do know is the last 3 HTs I have had with Dr. Bauman. I will document the facts as I know them. Also Dr. Bauman gave me a more accurate account of grafts taken so I want to pass that along in fairness to him. I wanted to pass along photos he took of me throughout the years, I emailed him on 1-19-2010 about my photos and my concerns and he didn’t respond so I posted the pics I have. After speaking with him yesterday 2-3-2010 he apologized and said he was out of town but he would get me the pics I requested, as of right now I have not received any pics from him.

Here are the facts as I know them. The 1st procedure was on 11-1-2005, I had 1800 grafts according to Dr. Bauman, and he said that I had from 500-800 grafts put in my crown. The cost was $10,300 according to my invoice. The first procedure he did not use a tricophidic closure.

My 2nd HT I received 2000 grafts according to Dr. Bauman on 05-8-2007. The cost $9,900 according to my invoice. I did 2 hyperbaric chambers costing a total $400.

My 3rd HT I received 1600 grafts according to Dr. Bauman on 12-15-2008. The cost was $8700 according to my invoice. I did 4 hyperbaric chambers which cost $900, I purchased an X5 Hair Laser for $299, and one shampoo $16, one conditioner $16, 60 tablets of Viviscal $75 and 84 tablets of Appearex Biotin $32. The total for that invoice was $10,112 according to my invoice.

My 4th HT I received 1500 grafts for $20,000 and 751 single grafts for $7,510 on 11-18-2009 according to my invoice, I did 4 hyperbaric chambers and the total cost of my invoice was $28,530.62. As stated previously I do not know the full results of my 4th HT because I am 11 weeks into it. In total I have had 4 Hair Transplant surgeries by Dr. Alan Bauman, according to the graft numbers he gave me today I have had 7651 grafts and have spent $58,842.62.

I have attached all my pics from the 1st HT to the 4th HT. The pics are not great; I don’t really have too many pics after the 3rd procedure. I will just show you what I have and you can form your own opinions. I thank you for your time and support.
Here is a time frame of pics:
1-3. back of head at 2 weeks after 4 HT procedures
4-5. back of head at 1 month after 4 HT procedures
6-7. hair before any HT procedures
8-9. hair at 2 months after 4 HT procedures
10. side hair before any HT procedures
11. hair at 1 week after 1st HT procedure
12. hair at 1 week after 4HT procedures
13. hair at 15 months after 1st HT procedure
14. hair at 3 days after 3 HT procedures
15. hair at 1 year after 2 HT procedures
16. hair at 2 months after 2 HT procedures
17. hair at 31 week after 3 HT procedures
18. hair at 3 days after 1st HT procedure
19. hair at 15 months after 1st HT procedure
20. hair at 3 days after 4 HT procedures
21. hair at 15 months after 1st HT procedure

thanks for inf. now i know he is the doc whom i don’t want to visit!!

really bad
you are the first patient i see from baumann
and espesially he is never been an option for many people here
since his new super fue tool

Wow, that’s ALOT of money to pay for the results that you got. I don’t understand, though. If the results from the first 3 came out so poorly, why did you keep going back to him?

some of your early strip scars are in non resistant zone.Did dr bauman do that??

» some of your early strip scars are in non resistant zone.Did dr bauman do
» that??

Yes, I have only been to Dr. Bauman

» » some of your early strip scars are in non resistant zone.Did dr bauman
» do
» » that??
»
» Yes, I have only been to Dr. Bauman

From forum posts I understand that Mr.Bauman is a member of the American Hair Loss Association ?

If I had result like that,I would ask the other members of the American Hair Loss Association to give their opinions about your result.In the same medium where they parade examples of their successes,and advertise themselves.

If I had result such as yours,I would ask them is the result up to par with the standards of their association.

I assume they will love to give you that info,because they are no joke and:

1.Allegedly,American Hair Loss Association members are physicians who care for those who have been afflicted by the most prevalent and neglected epidemic seen in medicine today.

1. It has been advertised that AHLA physician members are not only healers, but are educators in a field that has historically been known to dismiss the concerns of patients suffering with hair loss.

3.Apparently AHLA members have the opportunity to truly empower their patients with completely objective, cutting-edge and life-changing information being provided to AHLA members and the hair loss suffers whom they treat.

4.It has been written that AHLA, member physicians understand the vital role that emotional well being plays in the total health of their patients.

What are you waiting for?

» » » some of your early strip scars are in non resistant zone.Did dr bauman

you will not get one to speak out against another. Secondly, regardless of the concensus, I submit that your results are “typical”. Too many of us learn the hard way that this is a flawed procedure.

» » » » some of your early strip scars are in non resistant zone.Did dr
» bauman
»
» you will not get one to speak out
» against another. Secondly, regardless of the concensus, I submit that your
» results are “typical”. Too many of us learn the hard way that this is a
» flawed procedure.

If AHLA physician members wouldn’t comment on this result then what is the philosophy behind them forming such association and sending such messages to the people? I would like to know is this kind of result up to the standards of AHLA.

If they don’t think they have obligation to answer,it would become my opinion that the words I quoted from their statement are worthless,thus that would make me conclude that their proclaimed creed is masquerade.

Now,because I can’t believe that such esteemed doctors throw worthless proclamations around forums I have fate they will answer.I trust that they will.Common AHLA doctors tell us is this one can expect as a HT results from AHLA accredited HT doctor?

» » » » » some of your early strip scars are in non resistant zone.Did dr
» » bauman
» »
» » you will not get one to speak out
» » against another. Secondly, regardless of the concensus, I submit that
» your
» » results are “typical”. Too many of us learn the hard way that this is a
» » flawed procedure.
»
» If AHLA physician members wouldn’t comment on this result then what is the
» philosophy behind them forming such association and sending such messages
» to the people? I would like to know is this kind of result up to the
» standards of AHLA.
»
» If they don’t think they have obligation to answer,it would become my
» opinion that the words I quoted from their statement are worthless,thus
» that would make me conclude that their proclaimed creed is masquerade.
»
» Now,because I can’t believe that such esteemed doctors throw worthless
» proclamations around forums I have fate they will answer.I trust that they
» will.Common AHLA doctors tell us is this one can expect as a HT results
» from AHLA accredited HT doctor?

This is from AHLA’s web site:

While the American Hair Loss Association is aware of many ethical practitioners and treatment providers in this field, we also recognize the vulnerability of the hair loss sufferer. For this reason, the AHLA has been created in part to act as an advocate for, and to protect all those with this disease from questionable hair loss practitioners and treatment marketers.

Dear AHLA members

Is this HT result that this young man posted here up to your standards?

Is this what I should expect to get if I choose AHLA doctor to perform surgery on me?

I need to know that before I click the donation button on your web site and give you donation to keep up the good work.

I need to know it before I choose one of you to put scalpel on my head.

Thank you in advance.

Having a organization recommend doctors never meant nothing to me. You need to do your own research first hand.

WHY ON EARTH would you consider a 4th transplant from this doctor??!?

You shouldn’t even be talking to him unless its to ask for a refund.

This may seem harsh, but while there are Docs like Bauman who do horrible work, we as patients have to accept responsibility for ourselves and our own decisions. You decided to go to a doc, not once, not twice, but three times and now you are at least in some considering a 4th visit. WHAT IN THE WORLD?

You need to go to a world renown surgeon who is great with repair. There are a handful of these surgeons. You have posted on several HT forums and so with a little reading you should already know who they are.

But just in case you missed it, if you go to Dr. Hasson or Dr. Wong for strip or Dr. Umar for FUE, you will be in excellent hands.

You need hairs transplanted in those nasty scars to hide the scars and you need to get density in the front. This can be done by the right doctor.

If you go to Bauman again or to someone who is NOT at the top of their field you only have yourself to blame.

I apologize if I seem rude or harsh, but I want to speak honestly to you so that you might take more responsibility and make better decisions in the future.

There is no guarantee when it comes to hair transplant. Even the best doctor in the world has his fair share of patients who claim to be unhappy for whatever reasons. There is no one doctor that is the best for every patient. Every doctor has something different to offer. It is unwise to believe that a certain doctor will deliver the same consistent result for every patient 100% of the time.

Also, it is unfair to pass judgment without giving the doctor an opportunity to address this case.

Dr. Bauman is a well respected and responsible doctor. He has already been alerted to the situation. I am sure Dr. Bauman will prepare a statement to address this promptly.

While we appreciate patients to come forward and share their results, please be advised that this is not a venue for offensive or hateful comments against any particular doctor. Please observe forum policy and post your comments responsibly.

I am sorry to hear this has happened to you. I don’t quite understand the 3 seperate strip scars, maybe somebody more knowledgeable can explain the logic.

I don’t know if this neo graft machine is the next light bulb or not. But I would say that you are not in a position to find out. It’s probably better to let others test those waters. At this point I would suggest not doing anything for at least 1 year and do some research in the meantime.

Hopefully things work out for you. You still have a lot of hair so don’t lose hope.

»here is the pic Dr. Bauman sent me. BEFORE through AFTER HT 3, around 5400 grafts.

» »here is the pic Dr. Bauman sent me. BEFORE through AFTER HT 3, around 5400
» grafts.

I’m not 100% sure I can tell which is the before and after.

One thing that I found really odd is why are the strip scars so high, way about what most doctors would consider “safe zone”, it should be closer to the neck or nape area, not where your skull bone is.

NK,
My staff and I were quite surprised by your posting, considering the consistently good communication we’ve shared and the care we have provided over the course of more than five years and four procedures, including your most recent FUE procedure we performed for you within the past ninety days and the recent contact you’ve had with the office this month.

For your first procedure in 2005, we opted for a linear harvest as opposed to FUE due to the numbers of grafts we anticipated needing for the frontal and crown area. With each subsequent medium-sized procedure, we discussed the pros and cons of harvesting hair vs. removing previous scar tissue from your donor area and the FUE option. The choices we made together were a result of weighing the goals of achieving/maintaining the hairline, frontal and crown coverage against the risk of additional scars.
Though not an easy decision, if you remember our discussions, in each case we agreed to harvest in a ‘new’ area because:

1. The removal of a previous scar would certainly decrease the number of follicles we’d be able to also harvest during that procedure. (Removal of scar plus transplantable follicles typically yields far fewer than 1000 grafts.)
  2. From our discussions, your hairline/coverage goals always took precedence over additional scars or scar revisions.
  3. Your hairstyle has always easily covered the scar tissue.

As we just recently discussed while you were here in the office just recently, there is more than adequate donor hair available to camouflage the scars if that is a goal in the future as well as to touch-up areas of future thinning, if needed. Additionally, I’m confident that all of the hair we’ve harvested was from healthy, permanent areas of donor.

In the meantime, as we discussed yesterday, remember that areas of visible scar can be

1. Camouflaged in the short-term FUE recovery-phase by using products like Toppik or Derm-match
  2. Possibly reduced using a scar-revision procedure to reduce their size in the future, or
  3. Eventually camouflaged using FUE/NeoGraft.

My staff and I all understand that you are going through the cosmetically awkward ‘in-between’ time. Waiting for the growth of the recent transplants and the coverage of the donor scars to occur can be difficult, so patience is needed and we are here for assistance and support 24/7–as we always have been for you over the years. Please let me know any questions or concerns you have.

Sincerely,
Alan J. Bauman, M.D.
Medical Director
Bauman Medical Group

Scars? I thought the problem here is that after 4 HTs, 6000 grafts, and $60k down the drain, his hairline looks nominally (if at all) better than when he started.

The scars might be a bit of a negative, but if his transplanted hairs grew, I don’t think he or anyone else would care.