HT Code of Ethics

I’d like to propose a “Hair Transplant Code of Ethics”.

Like an Oath all HT doctors should abide by (unless they are quacks). Something a HT patient can go through with his selected doctor before the operation and see if they are on the same page. If not, run!

Please suggest items for the list. I’ll start us off :

1. No HT on patients under 28 with male pattern hair loss.

2. No strip transplants as this disfiguring surgery takes away a balding man’s last refuge of shaving his head. FUE only.

3. All before & after pictures should have 5 angles - top, sides, back and front shown in bright light up close. No deceptive angles when picture taking with lighting tricks and marketting lies.

4. No fear mongering against propecia & minoxidil to push HT as the only option.

5. No promoting or selling snake oil treatments.

Its noble thinking, but believe me nobody will pay attention.

A lot of people tried some ethic guidelines but they were never mentioned again.

And to be honest only one point would have stated what this is all about

1. The patient should be the main aspect,nor money

Dr. Woods was the first doctor or clinic who started something like that many years ago. Great idea. But for some reason, it never gained enough recognition or acceptance in the industry.

» Dr. Woods was the first doctor or clinic who started something like that
» many years ago. Great idea. But for some reason, it never gained enough
» recognition or acceptance in the industry.

very simple
doctors are businessmen

they will not turn down money
it sounds great to say I wont operate on patients that are too young

but when a doctor realizes it will cost him 100s of thousands per year in revenue, suddenly that idea flies out the window

» » Dr. Woods was the first doctor or clinic who started something like that
» » many years ago. Great idea. But for some reason, it never gained enough
» » recognition or acceptance in the industry.
»
» very simple
» doctors are businessmen
»
» they will not turn down money
» it sounds great to say I wont operate on patients that are too young
»
» but when a doctor realizes it will cost him 100s of thousands per year in
» revenue, suddenly that idea flies out the window--------------

I have been there when he did turn down 2 patients that were very young. They both had only frontal hair loss. He told them no to surgery. This was in 2010 and 2009. Not sure how many other doc’s would do that.

» Dr. Woods was the first doctor or clinic who started something like that
» many years ago. Great idea. But for some reason, it never gained enough
» recognition or acceptance in the industry.

Yesterday, somebody posted the following in another forum, based on the interview with Dr. G. Hitzig, who described in this interview today’s “FUE” as “FUE is the micro-version of [skin-]plugs (harvested with round 4mm punches). ‘FUE’ is basically taking out tiny [skin-]plugs.”

Originally Posted by PayDay
I remember years ago when I first stated listening to The Bald Truth Spencer used to have archives of older shows on his website. I listened to one when Spencer had Dr. Woods on before anyone knew about FUE and Dr. Rassman called the show to debate Kobren and Woods about it. Woods handed Rassman his butt on a platter lol. It was a very lively show as I remember. I bet these doctors are going to do the same with this until it comes out that it works and then everyone will be doing i like FUet. I hope it happens. keep up the good work Spencer we all appreciate you more then you know!

The following was my response:

This is a VERY interesting post. In fact, I was surprised to hear (interview), that Dr. Ray Woods contacted Mr. Kobren in 1998/1999 concerning “The Woods Technique”. So why should Dr. Rassman call the show in 1998/1999 to discuss something, what he claims to perform/study since 1996? I don’t get it …

Anyway, it would be VERY INTERSTING to hear this old stuff - and especially, what exactly Dr. Rassman had “to debate” in the show you mentioned in your post.

Nothing has changed.

Where have you been Iron man. So you are a newbie. This is old news. Rassman has allways been jelous of Woods with Fue. Way back when 2001 when I started reading forums his so called Fox Fue there were no results on forums to speak of and not every one was a candiadate for it because you had to do a fox test.

Doctors already take an oath to do no harm.

We live in a world of greed and corruption. The onus is on us to determine who is honest and ethical and who is not. We can’t simply keep blaming the clinics and the doctors. Just take a look at some of these postings by newer members, often in their 20’s. Sometimes they refuse to see the red flags and listen to common sense when it is offered to them.

» Just take a look at some of these postings by
» newer members, often in their 20’s.

You can’t blame them. Half of them are in a state of shock having to deal with mpb at their age. I remember being devastated when I realised I had MPB. I cried and I almost never cry.

This is life altering sh&t.

As if that isn’t bad enough, you got unscrupulous doctors, snake oil salesmen, TV adverts and total nuts trying to get at your money.

Freddie, I understand what you are saying, it’s not easy at that age. But what is even more life altering is going from a bad situation to a worse one. I see too many young men ready to jump in without fully understanding the industry. It’s like watching a slow motion train wreck.

There are just too many examples to list. In one recent thread the poster claims he has only so much time and needs to get this done asap in as few sessions as possible. So now if the super mega session doesn’t work out who should carry the responsibility? If he depletes his donor for a prepubescent hairline who is too blame? Someone that doesn’t want to listen needs to man up and take some of the responsibility for their decision. I say this will all due respect.

There are plenty of long time posters that are around to help. All it takes is a little listening and common sense. Having cosmetic surgery is serious business.

First I gotta say you are a real good chap to be helping others out like this given your experience. Most others would just say F&(# it. I’m also doing my part when I can.

Many young guys are very desperate. I know I was. I was just terrified at the thought of going bald when I found out I had MPB. Its a condition that’s progressive and has no cure. I was totally frantic being in my early 20s. I felt trapped like an animal with no escape. I can’t tell you how depressed, sad (even suicidal) it made me feel. I wanted to hide away from the world.

The fear of feeling unattractive and/or unwanted by the opposite sex is a very powerful motivator to do something… anything. Young people often have their self-image wrapped up in their looks. It can be very hard to deal with.

With the Bosley commercials going 24x7 misleading young people, its hard not to fall for the delusion that a hair transplant is a silver bullet to MPB.

Fortunately I made it onto the newsgroups and websites like this and got ‘mentored’ by guys like you on medications and stuff I could use to slow down MPB. I also saw the disaster and agony some people with botched transplants had to go through. Without the internet, I’m 100% sure I would have fallen for a strip transplant procedure myself.

OK I don’t want to make this too long. But I do want your email address for some advice on transplant related issue. I’ve not had a transplant but am thinking of having one perhaps sometime down the line and wanted to get the opinion of someone who knows the in’s and out’s, do’s and don’ts. Last thing I need is to make my situation worse.

Thanks Freddie, I don’t quite understand the many that come to the forums for advice but fail to give back when they have the opportunity. I believe in what goes around comes around. If you do good, good will come back to you.
This is not my regular e-mail address and I do not check it often. But send me a note and I will give you my regular e-mail which has my name in it.

htrepair1@yahoo.com

BTW I have worked in night clubs on the weekends for well over 20 years. Attracting the opposite sex has less to do with looks then it does with other factors. But of course if a person does not feel confident in themselves, it is very noticeable in their body language. This is what those that are willing to risk not going to the best clinic in the world don’t quite understand. A hair transplant that does not look completely natural will completely destroy your self confidence with no doubt. Much more so then the simple fact of hair loss could ever do.

» Thanks Freddie, I don’t quite understand the many that come to the forums
» for advice but fail to give back when they have the opportunity. I believe
» in what goes around comes around. If you do good, good will come back to
» you.
» This is not my regular e-mail address and I do not check it often. But
» send me a note and I will give you my regular e-mail which has my name in
» it.
»
» htrepair1@yahoo.com
»
» BTW I have worked in night clubs on the weekends for well over 20 years.
» Attracting the opposite sex has less to do with looks then it does with
» other factors. But of course if a person does not feel confident in
» themselves, it is very noticeable in their body language. This is what
» those that are willing to risk not going to the best clinic in the world
» don’t quite understand. A hair transplant that does not look completely
» natural will completely destroy your self confidence with no doubt. Much
» more so then the simple fact of hair loss could ever do. >>> >>>>>> >>> Very Well said Topcat. I could not agree more. I hope some of the younger forum readers will take this to heart.

» Thanks Freddie, I don’t quite understand the many that come to the forums
» for advice but fail to give back when they have the opportunity. I believe
» in what goes around comes around. If you do good, good will come back to
» you.

I believe it too. I’ve tried to do my part over the years by preaching the gospel of finasteride to those just noticing hair loss and railing against all kinds of snake oils.

I sent you an email btw. Hope you got it.

Its hard for me to feel confident and appealing to women with this mill stone called MPB around my neck or should I say my head. I’m really not good at faking confidence either. I am however trying to control stuff I can change, like getting in shape.

This is what
» those that are willing to risk not going to the best clinic in the world
» don’t quite understand. A hair transplant that does not look completely
» natural will completely destroy your self confidence with no doubt. Much
» more so then the simple fact of hair loss could ever do.
TRUE THAT!!