How do you \'dermabrade?\'

Can someone explain to me what exactly is dermabrasion, and how it is done?

» Can someone explain to me what exactly is dermabrasion, and how it is done?

May be the more experienced posters can answer that but from what I understand, they use some topical chemicals to remove the top layer of your skin, that’s basically the idea.

The very top layer of skin is what you see on the outside. If you remove that layer of skin but you don’t go deep enough to hit blood, then the area regenerates 100% scar-free when it heals. It basically turns very red & sensitive and peels like a bad sunburn a few days later. A couple weeks later it’s back to normal and it’s fresher-looking skin than before the injury.

So they basically aim for a smooth & even removal of the top layer of skin that’s very close to that deep, but not quite deep enough to hit blood. (Or at least hit very little blood, anyway. They usually hit at least some small amounts of blood in the real-world procedures.)

They can do it with chemicals, or CO2 lasers, or manual abrasive sanding tools, etc.

“MICRO-derm-abrasion” is not the same thing. It’s the same basic idea but it’s a much lighter-duty version of dermabrasion that isn’t intended to peel as it heals or anything.

All the hair-regrowth schemes being tested are requiring the heavy-duty “dermabrasion” version. Lighter-duty microdermabrasion is unlikely to cause a deep enough healing process to get what we want out of it.

:wink: