How about a patch test for Follica?

If I wanted to do test session of Follica how should I go about it? I remember TAGOHL said he was thinking of trying this. I would probably get an area of scalp dermabraded by a dermatologist, then leave it open for a period of time (8 days?)before applying the EGF protein. I noticed that this compound was said to be top secret in the NBC video for obvious proprietary concerns, but the patent mentions everything under the kitchen sink. I guess my question to Benji or TAGOHL is what exactly in your opinion would be the correct steps to try this experiment? How long do you apply this compound and if, as you say, you would need a prescription for many of the compounds mentioned, lets pretend that is a non-issue. IOW, for the sake of this experiment lets just say I could get anything I needed. Just curious about this.

» If I wanted to do test session of Follica how should I go about it? I
» remember TAGOHL said he was thinking of trying this. I would probably get
» an area of scalp dermabraded by a dermatologist, then leave it open for a
» period of time (8 days?)before applying the EGF protein. I noticed that
» this compound was said to be top secret in the NBC video for obvious
» proprietary concerns, but the patent mentions everything under the kitchen
» sink. I guess my question to Benji or TAGOHL is what exactly in your
» opinion would be the correct steps to try this experiment? How long do you
» apply this compound and if, as you say, you would need a prescription for
» many of the compounds mentioned, lets pretend that is a non-issue. IOW, for
» the sake of this experiment lets just say I could get anything I needed.
» Just curious about this.

What about the powder used to regrow this fingertip?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252704,00.html

» » If I wanted to do test session of Follica how should I go about it? I
» » remember TAGOHL said he was thinking of trying this. I would probably
» get
» » an area of scalp dermabraded by a dermatologist, then leave it open for
» a
» » period of time (8 days?)before applying the EGF protein. I noticed that
» » this compound was said to be top secret in the NBC video for obvious
» » proprietary concerns, but the patent mentions everything under the
» kitchen
» » sink. I guess my question to Benji or TAGOHL is what exactly in your
» » opinion would be the correct steps to try this experiment? How long do
» you
» » apply this compound and if, as you say, you would need a prescription
» for
» » many of the compounds mentioned, lets pretend that is a non-issue. IOW,
» for
» » the sake of this experiment lets just say I could get anything I
» needed.
» » Just curious about this.
»
» What about the powder used to regrow this fingertip?
»
» http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,252704,00.html

Yeah- thats the ACELL stuff. The only thing is I can’t seem to find anything other than this one finger-tip story which makes me a bit skeptical. Besides, they seem to be using this technology now but only for veterinary uses. I think if they could use this in humans now it would be all over the freakin news.

» Yeah- thats the ACELL stuff. The only thing is I can’t seem to find
» anything other than this one finger-tip story which makes me a bit
» skeptical. Besides, they seem to be using this technology now but only for
» veterinary uses. I think if they could use this in humans now it would be
» all over the freakin news.

the acell’s powder for human applications is expect to become a reality later 2008, that’s why you cant find anything more than the famous fingertip

You better have a good cover story before you ask a dermatologist to abrade part of your scalp so you can apply a home-brew of experimental drugs on the wounded area in an attempt to grow hair. They won’t do it. I’m not meaning to be sarcastic – I do think people will attempt this, probably sooner rather than later – I’m just saying you’d be well advised to think up some alternate reason for getting an abrasion to a portion of your scalp. No reputable/legit dermatologist is going to involve him or herself in this sort of do-it-yourself proof of concept. Esp not in today’s litigious environment.

Sandpaper. Dermabrasion is just a glorified version of sandpapering your skin.

Just don’t be stupid about it. The full extent of the damage that you are doing to the skin takes a little time to show itself. You can do a scraping session that won’t seem like much at the time, but then it’s already red and sore and peeling a few hours/days later.

Do some reading about the process. It’s not rocket science.

If you start hitting any blood, then you’ve definitely abraded the area too much already.

»
» Yeah- thats the ACELL stuff. The only thing is I can’t seem to find
» anything other than this one finger-tip story which makes me a bit
» skeptical. Besides, they seem to be using this technology now but only for
» veterinary uses. I think if they could use this in humans now it would be
» all over the freakin news.

Nobody knows if this stuff will work or not but it is going to be released for human use soon

From Acell Site :

http://www.acell.com/news_updates.php

News Updates
Medical products for human use are not currently available from ACell but are expected to become available later in 2008. Register now to receive updates on clinical trials and release dates for our medical products.

This is another good story on Acell that was sent to me by another poster that talks about it being used some on humans already:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/22/sunday/main3960219.shtml

» Sandpaper. Dermabrasion is just a glorified version of sandpapering your
» skin.
»
»
» Just don’t be stupid about it. The full extent of the damage that you are
» doing to the skin takes a little time to show itself. You can do a
» scraping session that won’t seem like much at the time, but then it’s
» already red and sore and peeling a few hours/days later.
»
» Do some reading about the process. It’s not rocket science.
»
» If you start hitting any blood, then you’ve definitely abraded the area
» too much already.

Its not rocket science but it is MY freaken head. I plan on experimenting in the back, where the donor is a little thin and frankly don’t feel like taking a belt sander to my head back there. I would feel more comfortable having someone else, experienced in dermabrasion, do this. And that’s bullshiit that I can’t get a “reputable” dermatologist to do this. If they will sandblast your freakin face, there is no problem with a patch on the back of the head. What difference does it make? I got money and they want it.

» »
» » Yeah- thats the ACELL stuff. The only thing is I can’t seem to find
» » anything other than this one finger-tip story which makes me a bit
» » skeptical. Besides, they seem to be using this technology now but only
» for
» » veterinary uses. I think if they could use this in humans now it would
» be
» » all over the freakin news.
»
» Nobody knows if this stuff will work or not but it is going to be
» released for human use soon
»
»
» From Acell Site :
»
» http://www.acell.com/news_updates.php
»
»
» News Updates
» Medical products for human use are not currently available from ACell but
» are expected to become available later in 2008. Register now to receive
» updates on clinical trials and release dates for our medical products.
»
»
» This is another good story on Acell that was sent to me by another poster
» that talks about it being used some on humans already:
»
» http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/22/sunday/main3960219.shtml

It will grow fingers but apparently a hair follicle is a bit more complicated.:wink:

» It will grow fingers but apparently a hair follicle is a bit more
» complicated.:wink:

I’m anxious about the results of Follica & Acell.

If we find out that science can really regrow half a finger but it still can’t even stop or reverse the gradual minaiturization of mens’ hair follicles . . . then I may just quit the MPB struggle for good. God obviously just doesn’t want our MPB problem getting solved.

If I wanted to do test session of Follica how should I go about it?

Read the patent as many times as you can.

I would probably get an area of scalp dermabraded by a dermatologist,

Dermabrasion (not to be confused with microdermabrasion) is invasive, pretty painful, and surprisingly expensive. Some people have to be put out with general anasthesia. Furthermore, you’ll get swelling and scabs. I would check the patent again to see how deep you need to abrade (IIRC, it was left somewhat vague, but they do talk about different depths), and then tell the derm that’s how far down you want to go, and let him choose the technique to do it.

then leave it open for a period of time (8 days?)before applying the EGF
protein.

It would be a few-to-several days before you start applying the topical, and the application period is short term. The patent gives details on when you should start (and stop) applying the EGF antagonist - they give you day ranges and tell you exactly what the skin should look like before you start applying the topical. The goal is to suppress EGF, btw.

for the sake of this experiment lets just say I could get anything I needed.

Getting the drugs is not the problem. The cost is the problem. Almost all of the drugs mentioned in the patent are very expensive (you’re looking at a minimum of a few thousand dollars to get even 30 tablets). Leflunomide is the cheapest option (a few hundred, maybe), but it’s not entirely clear (at least to me) whether it would be effective topically, since it needs to be metabolized into its active form before it will have any effect on the EGF receptor. I am not sure if the skin is table to convert leflunomide to its active metabolite…I’m not sure if anyone knows, since it’s not even known how it’s metabolized after oral consumption.

» > If I wanted to do test session of Follica how should I go about it?
»
» Read the patent as many times as you can.

You also need to consider dose and the vehicle for the drug.

I am not recomending you do this (Follica will have some data in the not-so-distant future), but these are the types of things you need to think about.