Heavy multivitamin use may be linked to advanced prostate ca

"While regular multivitamin use is not linked with early or localized prostate cancer, taking too many multivitamins may be associated with an increased risk for advanced or fatal prostate cancers, according to a study in the May 16 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Millions of Americans take multivitamins because of a belief in their potential health benefits, even though there is limited scientific evidence that they prevent chronic disease. Researchers have wondered what impact multivitamin use might have on cancer risk.

Karla Lawson, Ph.D., of the National Cancer Institute in Bethesda, Md., and colleagues followed 295,344 men enrolled in the National Institutes of Health-AARP Diet and Health Study to determine the association between multivitamin use and prostate cancer risk. After five years of follow-up, 10,241 men were diagnosed with prostate cancer, including 8,765 with localized cancers and 1,476 with advanced cancers.

The researchers found no association between multivitamin use and the risk of localized prostate cancer. But they did find an increased risk of advanced and fatal prostate cancer among men who used multivitamins more than seven times a week, compared with men who did not use multivitamins. The association was strongest in men with a family history of prostate cancer and men who also took selenium, beta-carotene, or zinc supplements.

“Because multivitamin supplements consist of a combination of several vitamins and men using high levels of multivitamins were also more likely to take a variety of individual supplements, we were unable to identify or quantify individual components responsible for the associations that we observed,” the authors write.

In an accompanying editorial, Goran Bjelakovic, M.D., of the University of Nis in Serbia, and Christian Gluud, M.D., of Copenhagen University Hospital in Denmark, discuss the positive and negative health effects of antioxidant supplements. “Lawson [and colleagues] add to the growing evidence that questions the beneficial value of antioxidant vitamin pills in generally well-nourished populations and underscore the possibility that antioxidant supplements could have unintended consequences for our health,” the authors write."

Then this guy Kurzweil who takes over 200 vitamins everyday will get one for sure.

It is clear that nothing in excess is good (except money :wink:

anything in excess is bad

» Then this guy Kurzweil who takes over 200 vitamins everyday will get one
» for sure.
»
» It is clear that nothing in excess is good (except money :wink:

hmm, I guess Hogan’s liver flush diet is not a bad idea. I am tempted to give that a try but worried about having to go to the bathroom constantly.

» hmm, I guess Hogan’s liver flush diet is not a bad idea. I am tempted to
» give that a try but worried about having to go to the bathroom constantly.

I hope you have done your research before doing such a procedure and it has been explained to you thoroughly.

Regards
Pete

» Then this guy Kurzweil who takes over 200 vitamins everyday will get one
» for sure.
»
» It is clear that nothing in excess is good (except money :wink:

Let’s not forget about Widowspeak who take excessive amounts of Beta Sis daily. If this article is true I predict not only continued baldness for Widowspeak but also cancer. Poor bastard.

nothing wrong with beta sis, it doesnt grow boobs either

the article was about multi vits A, E, C, where does it mention Beta sis?

» » Then this guy Kurzweil who takes over 200 vitamins everyday will get one
» » for sure.
» »
» » It is clear that nothing in excess is good (except money :wink:
»
» Let’s not forget about Widowspeak who take excessive amounts of Beta Sis
» daily. If this article is true I predict not only continued baldness for
» Widowspeak but also cancer. Poor bastard.

May 18, 2007 - Millions of Americans take multivitamins as part of their daily regimen and assume that they are getting some health benefits. But a recent study by the National Cancer Institute found that men who consume too many multivitamins might be upping their risk of a particularly aggressive form of prostate cancer, especially men with a family history of the disease. NEWSWEEK’s Alexandra Gekas spoke with Dr. Michael Leitzmann, senior author of the study. Excerpts:NEWSWEEK: What was the goal of the study?
Dr. Michael Leitzmann: To assess the association between the use of multivitamins and prostate-cancer risk. About 35 percent of U.S. adults use multivitamins on a regular basis.

What motivated the study? Was there previous evidence that multivitamins might increase the risk of prostate cancer?
The little data available to us indicated that there might be a positive association between multivitamin use and prostate cancer. We’re basically the third study. An American Cancer Society study and a French trial both seemed to indicate that if prostate cancer was pre-clinically present in the body, that in those men, the use of multivitamins could possibly have an adverse effect. This was just speculation, so we went into our data and found that there’s no association with overall prostate cancer. And when we split the men with organ-confined prostate cancer there was also no association, which was reassuring because that means the vitamins don’t do anything in terms of harm for most cases. But when we looked at men with advanced prostate cancer, when the cancer had metastasized beyond the organ itself, we found that the risk of developing that type of cancer increased by one third with excessive multivitamin use. Then we had a third group that died of prostate cancer and among those men we saw that the risk had actually doubled with excessive multivitamin use. So it appeared that the multivitamin use was not affecting the early stages and it was not affecting the moderate disease but it was affecting the advanced or aggressive disease.

An epidemiological study like this one doesn’t prove cause and effect. How confident are you that there really is a causal relationship?
In a study that is designed like ours, there is no basis for concluding that there is a causal relation. So what we did was observe an association. A rigorous study would assign people certain doses of vitamins and then give a control group a different type or a placebo, which our study didn’t do. So if you ask me point blank, our study cannot establish causality. It just raises concern, enough concern to publish because of the perceived health benefits of multivitamins. People think they are doing themselves good, but in the best case nothing happens and in the worst case it actually causes harm. So our study should be seen as raising concern and prompting further research.
CONTINUED

So let’s say you have some sort of cancer or whatever…and you don’t know it. It’d be a great idea to take tons and tons of anti-oxidants etc…right? No.

Here’s some more on the subject of taking too much of a good thing:

http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/Free-rads.html

http://www.worldwidescam.info/evibe300.htm

The latter includes "“Denman Harman, the original developer of the free radical theory of aging, has argued that, yes, there is such a thing as too much antioxidants. He found that taking too much antioxidant vitamins made him feel sluggish. This makes sense. Starting in the 1970s scientists have discovered that free radicals to be involved in an increasing number of signalling pathways in the body. If all our free radicals were quenched by extremely powerful antioxidants we’d literally die and rather quickly.” "

A # of posters have had problems with taking beta-sis…including Forrester(I think) who was doing great by taking a lot of it. His hair that is…health-wise not so good.

» So let’s say you have some sort of cancer or whatever…and you don’t know
» it. It’d be a great idea to take tons and tons of anti-oxidants
» etc…right? No.
»
» Here’s some more on the subject of taking too much of a good thing:
»
» http://www.thenutritionreporter.com/Free-rads.html
»
» Antioxidants in foods, diet, supplements, herbs and vitamins, dosage
»
» http://www.worldwidescam.info/evibe300.htm
»
» The latter includes "“Denman Harman, the original developer of the free
» radical theory of aging, has argued that, yes, there is such a thing as
» too much antioxidants. He found that taking too much antioxidant vitamins
» made him feel sluggish. This makes sense. Starting in the 1970s scientists
» have discovered that free radicals to be involved in an increasing number
» of signalling pathways in the body. If all our free radicals were quenched
» by extremely powerful antioxidants we’d literally die and rather quickly.”
» "

With any chronic illness there is CHRONIC FREE RADICAL ACTIVITY.
However the way to correct this IS NOT to stifle it and supress it with supplements the that block inflammation. It is to detoxify what is causing the free radical activity in the first place and replace the deficits so the immune system can come back on line!

Regards
Pete

how does he know it was the beta sis causing the problem

funny how when guys say they are taking XYZ and it helped grow their hair back you accuse them of being mistaken and how do they know it was this supplement that did it, might have been a placebo effect…but when someone says they are having a problem with a supplement you dont like you dont ask for any proof that this supplment is causing the problem, you take them at their word

seems a bit convenient, self serving, and hypocritical to me jacob

» A # of posters have had problems with taking beta-sis…including
» Forrester(I think) who was doing great by taking a lot of it. His hair
» that is…health-wise not so good.

» how does he know it was the beta sis causing the problem

Because he was taking mega-doses of it and stopped and when back on it again later.

»
» funny how when guys say they are taking XYZ and it helped grow their hair
» back you accuse them of being mistaken and how do they know it was this
» supplement that did it, might have been a placebo effect…but
» when someone says they are having a problem with a supplement you dont
» like you dont ask for any proof that this supplment is causing the
» problem, you take them at their word

Because he wasn’t making BS claims and trying to get ppl on his regimen. Here’s his thread btw: 抚州灼中影视文化发展公司

»
» seems a bit convenient, self serving, and hypocritical to me jacob
»

Are you looking in the mirror? :smiley:

looking in the mirror exactly, seems like you are busted on this one, took you a week to think of a meek answer

» » how does he know it was the beta sis causing the problem
»
» Because he was taking mega-doses of it and stopped and when back on it
» again later.
»
» »
» » funny how when guys say they are taking XYZ and it helped grow their
» hair
» » back you accuse them of being mistaken and how do they know it was this
» » supplement that did it, might have been a placebo effect…but
» » when someone says they are having a problem with a supplement you dont
» » like you dont ask for any proof that this supplment is causing the
» » problem, you take them at their word
»
» Because he wasn’t making BS claims and trying to get ppl on his regimen.
» Here’s his thread btw:
» 抚州灼中影视文化发展公司
»
»
» »
» » seems a bit convenient, self serving, and hypocritical to me jacob
» »
»
»
» Are you looking in the mirror? :smiley:

It doesn’t matter how long it took me…you couldn’t respond to any but the last part.

» It doesn’t matter how long it took me…you couldn’t respond to any but the
» last part.

fact is when someone says, hey this is growing my hair again…you say oh you are imagining it…when the guy says, hey my hair was dead then when i started on this regimen the fallout stopped, i changed nothing else …you claim its the placebo effect…

but when someone says, oh im having side effects to this supplement , you gleefully blindly accept his self prognosis and say…gee man sorry to hear about those side effects…no proof is needed that the regimen is causing it

as I said, self serving, and convenient and hyprocritical

just like you posting this study that proves nothing, and has no causal relationship and that is stated by the authors of the study, yet you post it with your own slant, as if it PROVES something, but when it is pointed out it does no such thing, you stammer and stutter and try to cover your tracks

quite comical actually :smiley: :smiley:

You do realize you didn’t say anything new…?

Read his thread: http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard…_id=4178&listing_type=search

blank

» You do realize you didn’t say anything new…?
»
» Read his thread:
» http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard…_id=4178&listing_type=search