Hasson & Wong HD Video Fridays/ Dr. Wong/4295 Grafts/One Session/3 Years/Strip

This California patient came to Dr. Wong to thicken his thinning hair as much as possible. What is interesting to note is that at first glance it is easy to assume that the patient needs only a small number of grafts however after further consideration the argument for more grafts is made.

This patient had diffused thinning in the hairline and the frontal half as well as the crown with the mid-scalp having higher density. To avoid permanent shock loss Dr. Wong shaved the entire recipient area to better visualize the empty spaces and the angle and direction of the remaining native hairs. The benefit was two fold in that the new grafts grew in to match the angle and direction of the native hairs for a natural appearance and the native hairs were not damaged thus no permanent shock loss occurred. The final result presented below has the appearance of a full head of hair due to the careful recipient area preparation in addition to the coarse, wavy nature of his hair.

4295 Grafts
Singles - 1372
Doubles - 2413
3/4 - 510

Dr. Wong/4295 Grafts/One Session/HD Video

Video embedded in the post for those who prefer to watch the video here.

click PLAY button to watch video in this post.
1_file62.flv

Nice n thick, do you have pictures showing where the grafts are placed?

Very good result.

"What is interesting to note is that at first glance it is easy to assume that the patient needs only a small number of grafts however after further consideration the argument for more grafts is made. "

I have to agree that this guy only needs a small number of grafts, i still see no reason why he had to have over 4000 grafts and what is the argument for that anyway? he had good hair before, dr wong did a good job thickening the overall density all over but is this really necessary? If I were him I would only get about 1500 to better frame the face and lightly thicken up some areas behind the hairline.

» I have to agree that this guy only needs a small number of grafts, i still
» see no reason why he had to have over 4000 grafts and what is the argument
» for that anyway? he had good hair before, dr wong did a good job thickening
» the overall density all over but is this really necessary? If I were him I
» would only get about 1500 to better frame the face and lightly thicken up
» some areas behind the hairline.

Those are perfectly good points but here is how it broke down. To take your example, 1500 to the hairline and then some more to thicken the area immediately behind the hairline. In this case that meant distributing the new grafts back into the mid-scalp where the density is still relatively high. So this could take an additional 1300 grafts.

Well, the crown need to be addressed as well as this was the patient’s goal and he was a good candidate as far as donor supply goes. A good 1500 to thicken the crown and you have your 4295 grafts. As I orginally stated, it does seem like less could have done a good job and that is certainly true but the patient wanted the fullest restoration possible.

» » I have to agree that this guy only needs a small number of grafts, i
» still
» » see no reason why he had to have over 4000 grafts and what is the
» argument
» » for that anyway? he had good hair before, dr wong did a good job
» thickening
» » the overall density all over but is this really necessary? If I were him
» I
» » would only get about 1500 to better frame the face and lightly thicken
» up
» » some areas behind the hairline.
»
» Those are perfectly good points but here is how it broke down. To take
» your example, 1500 to the hairline and then some more to thicken the area
» immediately behind the hairline. In this case that meant distributing the
» new grafts back into the mid-scalp where the density is still relatively
» high. So this could take an additional 1300 grafts.
»
» Well, the crown need to be addressed as well as this was the patient’s
» goal and he was a good candidate as far as donor supply goes. A good 1500
» to thicken the crown and you have your 4295 grafts. As I orginally stated,
» it does seem like less could have done a good job and that is certainly
» true but the patient wanted the fullest restoration possible.

Great result. The video helped me appreciate the yield of 4000 + grafts. Illusion of density for certain angles and hairstyles could have be achieved with lesser grafts, however it’s no good if that leaves the patient insecure and conscious during normal day to day activities. I’m sure the patient is thrilled!

I am getting really confused by hair transplantation these days as i ve been watching these forums for years.I mean the guy looked like the perfect propecia candidate he had so far minimal loss and propecia could thicken up his midhair and crown pretty goon on its own. Then i see 4400 grafts transplanted and even in the crown!!!

I remember we all thought armani was agressive but i dont think that anymore i see you guys became agressive as well. Is the guy on any medications after the surgery?

» I am getting really confused by hair transplantation these days as i ve
» been watching these forums for years.I mean the guy looked like the perfect
» propecia candidate he had so far minimal loss and propecia could thicken up
» his midhair and crown pretty goon on its own. Then i see 4400 grafts
» transplanted and even in the crown!!!
»
» I remember we all thought armani was agressive but i dont think that
» anymore i see you guys became agressive as well. Is the guy on any
» medications after the surgery?

Trust me, Propecaia can never thicken hair by this much.

» » I am getting really confused by hair transplantation these days as i ve
» » been watching these forums for years.I mean the guy looked like the
» perfect
» » propecia candidate he had so far minimal loss and propecia could thicken
» up
» » his midhair and crown pretty goon on its own. Then i see 4400 grafts
» » transplanted and even in the crown!!!
» »
» » I remember we all thought armani was agressive but i dont think that
» » anymore i see you guys became agressive as well. Is the guy on any
» » medications after the surgery?
»
» Trust me, Propecaia can never thicken hair by this much.

well i dont have a problem in trusting you but trust me as well…what i ve seen from personal experience propecia has thickened up my hair so much that i didnt even look like i was balding and my hair were worst than this guy

» » » I am getting really confused by hair transplantation these days as i
» ve
» » » been watching these forums for years.I mean the guy looked like the
» » perfect
» » » propecia candidate he had so far minimal loss and propecia could
» thicken
» » up
» » » his midhair and crown pretty goon on its own. Then i see 4400 grafts
» » » transplanted and even in the crown!!!
» » »
» » » I remember we all thought armani was agressive but i dont think that
» » » anymore i see you guys became agressive as well. Is the guy on any
» » » medications after the surgery?
» »
» » Trust me, Propecaia can never thicken hair by this much.
»
» well i dont have a problem in trusting you but trust me as well…what i ve
» seen from personal experience propecia has thickened up my hair so much
» that i didnt even look like i was balding and my hair were worst than this
» guy

well, how many are lucky like you?

» » » » I am getting really confused by hair transplantation these days as i
» » ve
» » » » been watching these forums for years.I mean the guy looked like the
» » » perfect
» » » » propecia candidate he had so far minimal loss and propecia could
» » thicken
» » » up
» » » » his midhair and crown pretty goon on its own. Then i see 4400
» grafts
» » » » transplanted and even in the crown!!!
» » » »
» » » » I remember we all thought armani was agressive but i dont think
» that
» » » » anymore i see you guys became agressive as well. Is the guy on any
» » » » medications after the surgery?
» » »
» » » Trust me, Propecaia can never thicken hair by this much.
» »
» » well i dont have a problem in trusting you but trust me as well…what i
» ve
» » seen from personal experience propecia has thickened up my hair so much
» » that i didnt even look like i was balding and my hair were worst than
» this
» » guy
»
» well, how many are lucky like you?

I dont think i am lucky i just think the drug worked for me as it was supposed to work. You might actually be unlucky because it didnt work for you but for the vast majority especially in the beginning stages it can make a tremendous difference. Everyone should at least try it before having surgery especially with little balding, it can postpone a transplant for years.

by the way I am actually unlucky because it gave me sideeffects so i had to quit

» I am getting really confused by hair transplantation these days as i ve
» been watching these forums for years.I mean the guy looked like the perfect
» propecia candidate he had so far minimal loss and propecia could thicken up
» his midhair and crown pretty goon on its own. Then i see 4400 grafts
» transplanted and even in the crown!!!
»
» I remember we all thought armani was agressive but i dont think that
» anymore i see you guys became agressive as well. Is the guy on any
» medications after the surgery?

4295 is a big number but the design is not that aggressive, he still maintains a fairly high forehead, the temples are not closed and his hairline was not lowered by much, if you ask me, I think he has a very mature look, it’s not like he was given a teenager hairline or anything like that.

» » I am getting really confused by hair transplantation these days as i ve
» » been watching these forums for years.I mean the guy looked like the
» perfect
» » propecia candidate he had so far minimal loss and propecia could thicken
» up
» » his midhair and crown pretty goon on its own. Then i see 4400 grafts
» » transplanted and even in the crown!!!
» »
» » I remember we all thought armani was agressive but i dont think that
» » anymore i see you guys became agressive as well. Is the guy on any
» » medications after the surgery?
»
» 4295 is a big number but the design is not that aggressive, he still
» maintains a fairly high forehead, the temples are not closed and his
» hairline was not lowered by much, if you ask me, I think he has a very
» mature look, it’s not like he was given a teenager hairline or anything
» like that.

If this guy needs 4300 now with that hairloss which is minimal, how many he will need if he becomes nw6?I would say he has another 4000, what will this 4000 do?

Cant you guys see the paradox here? Also its strange that none from the clinic answers. Do they prefer not to answer to these concerns? I mean if the supposed best havent answer to this thread in 2 weeks that doesnt sent a good message.Maybe they dont have an answer or they think that propecia will hold on to what he has for life.

1. Color different in post op 2) length different in post-op pics

Not dissing this patients new mop, looks great, but HT illusion heavily relies on hair length and color helps whether naturally sun bleached or chemically bleached. A little bleach particularly on the tips diffuses the light around the surrounding hair (which also with bleached tips multiplies the effect…and so on.

The patient, had he had no further work, and had FIN or DUT frozen his hairloss in the ‘before’ state - and had he simply allowed his hair to grow another inch, given it a wash and careful comb (over) then he would also look significantly better.

I am also surprised at the 4000+ on the NW3 but Joe says his donor is good, so in a worst case scenario - (and he doesn’t look that young so it might not be a rapid loss situation) if he can get another 5000-7000, maybe all will be well. Lucky for him.

Truthtales,

I was not aware of anyone actually asking me a question which is why I’ve not responded further to this thread.

If I understand you correctly you are wondering about this patient’s future. Well, I don’t have a crystal ball but based on our experience finasteride should hold the patient quite well. If I remember correctly he was on finasteride for a while before he came to see us and was a well educated patient before he arrived, hence the reason he is not a local patient but rather from California.

As I understand it you had a fantastic result from finasteride and you were also wondering why this patient didn’t just go on it first. You assume he did not which is wrong as referenced above. However, your assumptions also seem to be that Propecia will thicken hair for most patients. This is not the case and in fact it is not expected when we write prescriptions for it. It should at the very least hold the hair steady and after almost 20,000 prescriptions that we’ve written we find this to be the norm and excessive hair regrowth to be very rare. I would agree that he has at least 4000 grafts left or more. The good thing is that if he loses more he won’t have a low aggressive hairline to worry about. His hairline is mature and the temples have appropriate adult male recession. Worst case scenario will be looking a bit thinner than he is now but still with coverage and a natural design.

Scar5,

You’re correct about the hair color. Making the tips lighter especially makes things look better. And yes, growing it out a bit longer and careful combing would have improved his appearance. That is why in this video, as in all of our high definition videos (about 92 so far), have close up detailed comb throughs that you will not find from any other clinic. The density is obvious when you get to the 3:23 mark in the video. What I like about this case is when you compare the comb through of the top of his scalp at the 3:23 mark to the comb through of the donor area at the 5:00 mark there is not much difference in the visible density. That in and of itself should show how there is no illusion going on here.

» Truthtales,
»
» I would agree that he has at least
» 4000 grafts left or more. The good thing is that if he loses more he won’t
» have a low aggressive hairline to worry about. His hairline is mature and
» the temples have appropriate adult male recession. Worst case scenario will
» be looking a bit thinner than he is now but still with coverage and a
» natural design.
»

I still dont understand how 4500 grafts were needed for him with little hairloss and how only 4000 could one day cover his nw6 area if he goes there. This means even less grafts than the ones that were transplanted now to a much much bigger area.

Isnt it safe to assume that if he progresses to nw6 he is doomed to a very very thin look.I mean he wasnt happy now with that little hairloss and he wanted a transplant, how will he be happy with his transplants when he progresses to nw6?Bringing him back with that many grafts to a prehairloss level isnt very agressive?

My point is you seem to rely totally on propecia to hold on to his hair for him to be happy in the future.

This guy will develop hair islands and it will look weird.

In my opinion one has to be quite bald to have a HT or be prepared to go many times to the dr and risk not having enough donor hairs in the future.