Hair Transplant donor transection biopsy photo

A good transplant is not about luck, it’s the product of a skilled physician.

This reminds me of the good ol debate between Arvind and Woods as to whether fue is blind harvesting or not, does it mean that we now have proof that Woods is correct :slight_smile: ??

» This reminds me of the good ol debate between Arvind and Woods as to
» whether fue is blind harvesting or not, does it mean that we now have proof
» that Woods is correct :slight_smile: ??

Ahh Yes…that ol’ chesnut

Dr Ray Woods

» »
» » Correct… Now tell that to the megasession production line “experts”
» » peddling their “numbers fraud”.
» »
» » But they know it
» »
» » Its the sucker patient who needs to WAKE UP and start asking some
» serious
» » questions instead of blind submission to “medical authority”
» »
» » But good luck. You are more likely to get the truth from bush, cheney
» or
» » rumsfeld
» »
» » Dr Ray Woods
»
»
» In theory a lot of these problems have been overcome by Jim harris’s SAFE
» technique using blunt disection below the dermis. Would you agree?

explain your understanding of this. Then look at the photos . Then understand the method. Apply some common sense and simple reason. Then, honestly, answer your own question…If you cannot do this and you need my opinion, it is “no”

But that is my opinion.

Microsurgery and “blunt dissection” ??

The process is microsurgical…there is NOTHING blunt about it…anything blunt could not fit without collateral trauma…

Now if you want a school yard punch up between me and Harris, you achieved your goal.
Maybe a good thing…5pm, in the alley , after surgery, the latex gloves are off !!

Dr Woods

» Microsurgery and “blunt dissection” ??
»
» The process is microsurgical…there is NOTHING blunt about it…anything
» blunt could not fit without collateral trauma…
»
» Now if you want a school yard punch up between me and Harris, you achieved
» your goal.
» Maybe a good thing…5pm, in the alley , after surgery, the latex gloves
» are off !!
»
» Dr Woods

This is an honest question.

My understanding is that the dermis is scored with a sharp instrument and then a blunt punch is used which separates the underlying follicle without the danger of transection just as blunt dissection is used in other surgery.

I do not know if it works but he has publicised this enough. If it is not feasible then I think it deserves a rational explanation as to why not.

To be fair, we are mostly intelligent people looking to o make informed decisions about our surgery.
Regards,
Marco.

This is a good explanation of how Dr. Harris’s fue works, what do you think?

» This is a good explanation of how Dr. Harris’s fue works, what do you
» think?
»
»

When eating cornflakes

1. spoon must enter bowl

2. contents of milk and said cornflakes must be placed upon spoon

3. spoon must be in “upright” position , meaning concave surface up

4. while lifting arm, position spoon toward mouth

5. gently , and preferably while reading a Murdoch publication, begin to open mouth in anticipation of docking or entry of said spoon into mouth.

6. after spoon entry, close mouth

7. masticate contents of spoon while, …and this is where it gets tricky…remove spoon from mouth…

8. if this is successsfuly executed, commence code red mastication

AND REPEAT

Blunt dissection of thick coarse connective tissue ??

Possible. But it will take you 6 hours to remove a hundred…how do I KNOW …tried it 15 years ago

I don’t know for sure, but I am guessing Harris offers STRIP SURGERY

Correct me if I am wrong

And if this technique is genuine, is there video evidence for each patient, quantitative proof of the claims.

If Harris has it, he is the only other apart from Dr Angela Woods Campbell…and me

Dr Ray Woods

A video demonstration would be nice. It’s very hard to understand what he is trying to do. It seems that he uses two different punches for each donor extraction.

» A video demonstration would be nice. It’s very hard to understand what he
» is trying to do. It seems that he uses two different punches for each
» donor extraction.

Yep two punches. The idea, contrary to Ray Woods observation, is that there is only fat below the level of the muscle attachements and therefore the follicle can be seperated by blunt disection largely abrogating transection…

» » A video demonstration would be nice. It’s very hard to understand what
» he
» » is trying to do. It seems that he uses two different punches for each
» » donor extraction.
»
» Yep two punches. The idea, contrary to Ray Woods observation, is that
» there is only fat below the level of the muscle attachements and therefore
» the follicle can be seperated by blunt disection largely abrogating
» transection…

Just based on the picture posted by Hairsite, I am willing to bet that there are follicles that criss cross or touching each other inside the skin which make it difficult to standardize the fue extraction process.

» » » A video demonstration would be nice. It’s very hard to understand
» what
» » he
» » » is trying to do. It seems that he uses two different punches for
» each
» » » donor extraction.
» »
» » Yep two punches. The idea, contrary to Ray Woods observation, is that
» » there is only fat below the level of the muscle attachements and
» therefore
» » the follicle can be seperated by blunt disection largely abrogating
» » transection…
»
» Just based on the picture posted by Hairsite, I am willing to bet that
» there are follicles that criss cross or touching each other inside the skin
» which make it difficult to standardize the fue extraction process.

Correct. And the variation from patient to patient is endless.

Each case is a brand new challenge.

And unless you have done thousands of these…I don’t mean handing a punch to an ex hairdresser and tell her or him to go for it…I mean doing it yourself and devoting your entire professional life into understanding and dealing with these variations.

And if transection is occurring within the first 10 to 20 follicles. STOP.

Rethink…change instruments…change the approach…and re try.

If transection continues…STOP COMPLETELY.

Apoligise to the patient. If he paid money, give it back.

Start again on small cases where it is perfectly clear to the patient that this is a trial. And this process takes years. There is no money in it. In fact, it costs you a fortune in time and equipment.

But doctors in this industry are generally uninterested in that long arduous and ethical approach.

Overnight they invent a new " method"…And race off to the patent office hoping that money hungry doctors around the world will buy their BS

The patient becomes a “paying” guinea pig. And his donor is being destroyed forever, with only marginal growth on his head

As for blunt dissection, google it, or ask a knowledgeable doctor…preferably not in the HT field. Educate yourself.

Blunt dissection means “tearing” the connective tissue apart

It allows a doctor to get to the target area. Blunt dissection will not tear a major artery. A scalpel blade will…hence the well known surgical cry of desperation…“WE GOT A BLEEDER”…The blood transfusions go up.

A follicle is made up of soft and fragile cellular layers within a membrane.

It is very easily cut and destroyed with a sharp edge. It is also liable to being torn ripped and destroyed in blunt dissection

Dr Ray Woods

This comment is very true.

BUT, not just for FUE

Try slicing out the follicles from a strip excision, as in the example shown.

As impressive as it is to see all these techs lined up, looking through stereoscopes, all gowned up with masks and paper hats, avoiding transection and destruction of follicles is physically impossible.

And the transection rates will vary , depending upon the patient characteristics, and which team is doing it that day.

So this is not just an insight for FUE, but STRIP EXCISION as well.

Thankyou Hairsite for putting it up

Dr Ray Woods

Good point, I wonder if that is less of a problem for body hair transplant since body hairs are usually not as closely packed together as regular scalp hair.

» Good point, I wonder if that is less of a problem for body hair transplant
» since body hairs are usually not as closely packed together as regular
» scalp hair.
»
»
And this is where it gets really tricky

The connective tissue changes from area to area

Removing a follicle intact is dependent upon how well you can deal with the fact that you don’t know…and how much damage you are willing to do because you want the bucks and you dont care

I cared about this. And I have paid a massive personal price

And it was worth it

Dr Woods

The biopsy picture does put things in perspective when it comes to hair transplant transection in the donor site.

About a month ago, Neograft posted this video in the forum “educating” our readers about their AUTOMATED FUE process. After seeing the biopsy picture in the originating post of this thread, it does bring to question how Neograft’s automated process manages to avoid transection in the donor site.

click PLAY button below to start video in this post:
1_file45.flv

Anyone who wants to revisit the thread started by Neograft, please go to:
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-53309.html

It looks easy enough, I think I can do it, you don’t need no doctor or technicians. Just hand me one of those electronic punches, I will do it for free, anyone interested?

You know if you really want low transection rate, strip is the way go go. FUE means every single follicular unit will be vulnerable to transection. There is no such problem with strip because the knife only runs through the perimeter of the skin that is being taken out.

» You know if you really want low transection rate, strip is the way go go.
» FUE means every single follicular unit will be vulnerable to transection.
» There is no such problem with strip because the knife only runs through the
» perimeter of the skin that is being taken out.

And you are brainwashed , stupid or a shill for some corporation

or maybe you believe it in all honesty

we will never know. Because you are an anonymous nobody .

but you all know where i stand. And I disagree

What you said is a bloody lie.

Feel free to argue the issue

Dr Woods

Dr. Woods, sorry for veering off topic for just a moment but I’ve always wanted to ask a HT surgeon some questions directly rather than hearing it from third parties. I also think I would get straight forward and honest answers from you without any agendas or BS as some surgeons throw out there.

1. At what point post-op can we “stop” expecting “new” hairs to sprout/grow (Not Thicken!)? I get mixed reviews ranging from 5months to 11months post-op.
    I know quite a few people in person that have empty spots post-op at 6 months and others at 10 months post op; relatively in the hairline regions. The only answer they get is “wait until 12 months”.

2. Is it normal for a patiant to lose transplanted hairs 6 months post op? If so, are they guaranteed to grow back? And why does this loss occur? It happened to someone on another forum, but his thred vanished and most likely banned for mentioning his surgeon.

Thanks being a part of this forum! I hope most of us don’t take it for granted.

» 2) Is it normal for a patiant to lose transplanted hairs 6 months post
» op? If so, are they guaranteed to grow back? And why does this loss occur?
»
It happened to someone on another forum, but his thred vanished and
» most likely banned for mentioning his surgeon.
»

Transplanted hairs or grafts are supposed to fall, I don’t see why that is a problem.