Had tranplant back in March no regrowth yet

Friends I am really worried now, I have 830 hairs transplanted back in March 15th 2008, as of now I dont notice any popping up , may be hardly few. Is this normal, I am really concerned.

Mintman

» Friends I am really worried now, I have 830 hairs transplanted back in
» March 15th 2008, as of now I dont notice any popping up , may be hardly
» few. Is this normal, I am really concerned.
»
» Mintman

Who is the doctor? Got any pictures?

Sorry I dont have any pictures, Dr.Cole from Atlanta did my surgeory. When I contacted them they said for some people it might take 9 months, but I thought after 3 or atleast 4 months it should start growing back. I am little dissappointed.

Don’t get discouraged, it is still very early and it seems that people do all grow at different rates. I’m sure before you know it your’re going to be sprouting left and right…

» Don’t get discouraged, it is still very early and it seems that people do
» all grow at different rates. I’m sure before you know it your’re going to
» be sprouting left and right…

Hi,

Growth may take up to 12 months, but we have also seen it come in three months. The best thing to do is not stress about it. Please send your photos to our website. At that point, we can at least get Dr. Cole to asses your progress and ensure you are taking the best care of your grafts. I strongly urge you to either post or email your photos. Sending us the photos would be encouraging as we can accurately asses your case and discuss it in further detail.

My advice is not medical advice

»
» Mintman

Hummm… Most hair should be growing/starting to grow at month 5, where you are now…

its been exaclt 5 months on August 15th. I dont know what i should do.

I would complain is what I would do…and let others know about it too. There’s no reason for this…

»
» Mintman

Are you using any hair loss drugs such as minoxidil and or fin? Taking any vitimins? I know it will be hard not to worry. Im almost at the 5 month mark, getting good progress and still worry. So I fully understand how you must be really feeling terrible at this point in time. It would really help all who give advice on this forum if you posted some before and now pics, to understand your particular situation better.
What can you do. Id definitely be taking up CITs offer and sending them pics and definitely talk regularly with the clinic who performed your transplant. By month 12 I would definitely be complaining to the Dr who did the work.
Maybe you are a bad candidate for a transplant?
I wish you luck with your progress. Let us know how things are a month from now.

» its been exaclt 5 months on August 15th. I dont know what i should do.

Hi Mintman,

I see that one person has some understanding as to what could be occurring in your case. There is more than one scenario that could be occurring to cause unnoticeable growth.

You may have lost more native hair since your procedure in March. In this case, patients feel as though they haven’t seen any results several months later. This possibility of progressive hair loss is openly discussed at our clinic. Sometimes patients don’t remember the exact details of what we disclose to them while they suffer from their existing hair loss pattern. Also, patients who are using maximal medical therapy should not discontinue medication unless adverse side-effects are occurring.

Also remember, that there may be a possibility that a dermatological condition exists. This would cause the newly transplanted hairs not to grow at all.

In another scenario, some patients can begin with “X” amount of hair then loose “XX” amount of hair after the procedure and can end up with “-X” amount of hair. For example, a patient that shows signs of advanced hair loss while having a great amount of pre-existing hair will see results much later than a patient who doesn’t have much hair and suffers from major hair loss before the procedure. Patients can often start off having a certain amount of pre-existing hair and be classified as a potential class 5. Afterwards, the transplanted hairs will arrive but a significant amount of pre-existing hair may be lost. When patients have much of their existing hair before the procedure, they can often times not see much new growth because of minimal hair loss. For example, when there is a field of corn that is already plentiful, you wouldn’t see many newly grown cobs of corn appear because there are already so many cobs that the observer wouldn’t notice. The rule of thumb is that if a patient is bald, then the results would be seen in 6 months or less. The rule of thumb for patients with a great amount of pre-existing hair is that the results wouldn’t be seen until 8 to 12 months.

We would be proud to email or post patients’ photos so that they can address their concerns by any means. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

CIT

I suspect that a lot of patients experience shock loss that results in an overall thinning in the few months following a procedure. However, MPB certainly does not progress at the rate that you are implying in the majority of men. Substantial/noticeable hair loss in the span of 5 months is not all that common unless aggravating factors are involved.

The patient said that he received 800 hairs (I think he meant grafts), which, as you know is not very many and certainly does not make a huge cosmetic impact. My guess is that the patient really did not comprehend what kind of coverage 800 grafts would yield and is now seeing those 800 grafts for what they are worth.

»
» Mintman

830 grafts is not a huge number to begin with, and it might help you to take some vitamins that are helpful to hair growth, I peronally have noticed faster growth of my own hair by taking Folic Acid and MSM, both available at GNC.

It’s too early to tell at the 5 month mark, it could be more than 6 months before noticable growth begins.

5 months for such a small procedure is not necessarily indicative of anything unusual or bad. You should be patient, which is always the hardest thing for anyone I believe. Also use Rogaine daily, it wont hurt.

800 grafts is barely even visible in the big picture, unless it was ALL added onto shiny-bald front hairline area skin.

Just give it until a year. Don’t get pissed off before then, but get REALLY pissed off if the growth is still not present by then.

» its been exaclt 5 months on August 15th. I dont know what i should do.

You should post some pictures. You may be worrying unnecessarily.

THanks so much to all of you for giving the advices and support, i notice very few popping up as of now, mostly in sidelines but nothing in the front yet. Yes I still have good amount of hair on top, thats why i went for 800. I am using Rogaine, Maxi Hair vitamins, nettle root, saw paalmetto and pygem daily. Shall i add MSM to this?, if what must be the dosage? 500mg/day or 1000mg?. Again I thank you all.

» THanks so much to all of you for giving the advices and support, i notice
» very few popping up as of now, mostly in sidelines but nothing in the front
» yet. Yes I still have good amount of hair on top, thats why i went for 800.
» I am using Rogaine, Maxi Hair vitamins, nettle root, saw paalmetto and
» pygem daily. Shall i add MSM to this?, if what must be the dosage?
» 500mg/day or 1000mg?. Again I thank you all.

I think it may be too early as well. I have seen this clinic do wonders with fewer grafts. Be cool and I am sure you will see many more push through.:wink:

» THanks so much to all of you for giving the advices and support, i notice
» very few popping up as of now, mostly in sidelines but nothing in the front
» yet. Yes I still have good amount of hair on top, thats why i went for 800.
» I am using Rogaine, Maxi Hair vitamins, nettle root, saw paalmetto and
» pygem daily. Shall i add MSM to this?, if what must be the dosage?
» 500mg/day or 1000mg?. Again I thank you all.
Hi Mintman,

Regarding Msm I dont use it personally as used to feel sick after taking it. Not saying you shouldnt. I think you can generally take up to 1-2000mg.

I also took MSM (3 grams/day) and it made me feel sick too. i don’t take it anymore for that reason.