Greg - 1200 FUHT grafts (6 month update)

Patient nickname - Greg
Aim - To recreate a conservative mature hairline.
Graft details - 1200 strip FUHT procedure

Pictures

Before pictures

After 6 months

Regards,
Dr. A

12_file44.wmv

Looks good and natural. This guy seems less likely than most to move to a full type VI. I am suprised that you used strip for this number of grafts. Did you advise the patient to choose FUSE / FUE?

This is not the first time I mentioned this, there are a lot of good pictures in the forum, the only problem is consistency in no. of grafts, sometimes 1200 grafts look fantastic on one person but look so-so on another patient even if they have more or less the same norwood pattern. If you ask me, this one looks mediocre, I can barely notice a difference in the before/after photos. Dr. Woods on the other completely restored a norwood 5 with just 1100 grafts, too good to be true, really you don’t know who to trust?

Good question Marco, isn’t fue better for only 1200 grafts? I forgot who wrote that, someone once said it’s not wise to get strip for anything under 2000 grafts.

Dr. Arvind I have a question for you. I am curious if the strip scar would be smaller than normal because it is only 1200 grafts. Most strip scars I see are like a smiley face that goes from one end to the other end. Will 1200 grafts cut the scar in half so that what this patient has is only half a smiley face?? You know what I am getting at?

» Looks good and natural. This guy seems less likely than most to move to a
» full type VI. I am suprised that you used strip for this number of grafts.
» Did you advise the patient to choose FUSE / FUE?

Dear marco,
Yes, we educate all our patients about the differences between FUSE and strip FUHT and also tell the disadvantage of FUHT.
The patient decides which procedure he/she wishes to go for.

Regards,
Dr. A

» This is not the first time I mentioned this, there are a lot of good
» pictures in the forum, the only problem is consistency in no. of grafts,
» sometimes 1200 grafts look fantastic on one person but look so-so on
» another patient even if they have more or less the same norwood pattern. If
» you ask me, this one looks mediocre, I can barely notice a difference in
» the before/after photos. Dr. Woods on the other completely restored a
» norwood 5 with just 1100 grafts, too good to be true, really you don’t know
» who to trust?

Dear Leo2,
There is a very objective manner in which you can determine your own actual graft requirements.

Please perform the following two steps.

1. Buzzcut 1 sq cm in your non balding donor area. Take a good quality digital picture of the area (preferably with a scale juxtaposed in the picture). Upload it to your computer and open in paint. Count the actual follicular unit grafts you have in this non balding scalp area.

2. Mark the exact recipient area and measure it in sq cms.

If your non balding scalp has a follicular unit density of, say, 60 grafts/sq cm, and,

Your proposed recipient area is, for example, 100 sq cms, you can multiply it with the graft density you wish to go for and calculate your graft requirements yourself.

Regards,
Dr. A

» Dr. Arvind I have a question for you. I am curious if the strip scar would
» be smaller than normal because it is only 1200 grafts. Most strip scars I
» see are like a smiley face that goes from one end to the other end. Will
» 1200 grafts cut the scar in half so that what this patient has is only half
» a smiley face?? You know what I am getting at?

Yes, reiner. The strip scar will naturally be shorter when we are extracting less number of grafts.
Regards,
Dr. A

» Good question Marco, isn’t fue better for only 1200 grafts? I forgot who
» wrote that, someone once said it’s not wise to get strip for anything under
» 2000 grafts.

Dear Hair101,
In the end, it is the aware patient’s educated choice. Key words being “aware” and “educated”.

Regards,
Dr. A