Grafting into strip scar- 5 month result

Below are pre-op and post-op photos of a donor area that was previously harvested via strip (FUT). The post-op photo shows blue marker on the donor area as the patient was prepared for his second procedure at our clinic. Five months ago, the patient came to our clinic to have the strip scar grafted via CIT. Approximately 130 CIT grafts were placed in the scar shown below. The patient is amazed that the scar is much less visible and should have the ability to wear a shorter hair style.

Scars from strip surgery can widen over time but can usually be grafted at about 6 months after the strip procedure. Growth into scars can sometimes be difficult to achieve due to low blood supply on the scarred area. Blood supply is necessary for survival of the transplanted grafts. Typical hair transplant procedures that don’t involve scar tissue typically have higher yield rates than those involving scar tissue. The correction of strip scars may require more than one session to yield the most significant cosmetic result.

My advice is not medical advice.

» Below are pre-op and post-op photos of a donor area that was previously
» harvested via strip (FUT). The post-op photo shows blue marker on the
» donor area as the patient was prepared for his second procedure at our
» clinic. Five months ago, the patient came to our clinic to have the strip
» scar grafted via CIT. Approximately 130 CIT grafts were placed in the scar
» shown below. The patient is amazed that the scar is much less visible and
» should have the ability to wear a shorter hair style.
»
» Scars from strip surgery can widen over time but can usually be grafted at
» about 6 months after the strip procedure. Growth into scars can sometimes
» be difficult to achieve due to low blood supply on the scarred area. Blood
» supply is necessary for survival of the transplanted grafts. Typical hair
» transplant procedures that don’t involve scar tissue typically have higher
» yield rates than those involving scar tissue. The correction of strip
» scars may require more than one session to yield the most significant
» cosmetic result.
»
»

»
»
»
»
»
» My advice is not medical advice

scalp hair was used i presume, that is a nice result, improvement is clearly evident

WOW, you just made my day. Only 130 grafts? This is the kind of work I am looking for. His scar is similar to mine too, mine is just a little wider.

What about the other side? Why did Dr. Cole only did the left side? Doesn’t the scar go all the way across to the right too ?

It proves my point. It makes more sense to do strip and then if the scar gets worse, fix it with fue. You get good results and you save yourself a bundle.

» It proves my point. It makes more sense to do strip and then if the scar
» gets worse, fix it with fue. You get good results and you save yourself a
» bundle.

Possibly, but keep in mind that there is no easy fix for any change in direction that might occur. And the post op discomfort is greater and lasts longer with strip.

However, the strip results are good, scar grafting is available if necessary, and the price is lower. I think most good FUE clinics also offer strip for this reason.

» WOW, you just made my day. Only 130 grafts? This is the kind of work I am
» looking for. His scar is similar to mine too, mine is just a little wider.
»
»
» What about the other side? Why did Dr. Cole only did the left side?
» Doesn’t the scar go all the way across to the right too ?

Here are photos showing more of the scar which extends just slightly to the right. These photos weren’t originally posted because the scar was heavily outlined during the preparation of the second procedure. Also the patient’s head is slightly tilted forward and I suspect that these differences in the photos may confuse certain viewers.

The result is clearly evident and the appearence on the scar has definitely improved. The total graft count into the scar was 280.

I have to say that is a pretty good strip scar. Who was the doctor?

» It proves my point. It makes more sense to do strip and then if the scar
» gets worse, fix it with fue. You get good results and you save yourself a
» bundle.

You can get good results with strip but the results after grafting the scar aren’t always good. This risk is not knowing how effective a scar revision or scar grafting will be.

Below is a recently taken photo of a bad scar that actually shows surrounding hairs growing in upward and downward directions. Sometimes a stip scar heals and contracts due to the patients healing ability, other times because of bad strip surgeons. Also attached is a photo showing a good scar from strip harvesting.

The initial incisions to harvest a strip usually destroy about 5% or more of the surrounding follicles. The photo below shows a bad scar on the donor from strip (FUT) harvesting. The hair angles normally sweep to one side or the other after the average strip of 1 cm is taken. These skewed hair angles can be caused from suture tension on the tissue.

Good strip scar

Bad strip scar

Great photos.

» Great photos.

Thanks. We try very hard to get good photos so the “before” and “after” comparisons are consistent. I’m not sure about who perfomed the strip on the patient who later had the CIT into the scar. We usually prefer to perform CIT grafting into scars over scar revisions. Even though you may get a finer scar, it is still visible.

My strip scar is a little raised. What is your experience with raised scars and yield?

» My strip scar is a little raised. What is your experience with raised scars
» and yield?

We have seen growth in raised scars and yeilds in any scars are much higher when the scars aren’t densely packed. It is better to treat raised scars with steroid injections prior to grafting into them. The appearence of a raised scar may still be noticeable even if hair is coming through it.

Here recently made video showing the growth into a strip (FUT) scar. I bear witness that the patient is absolutely astonished about the results.

764_file7.wmv