Gene silencing

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/articles/05_03/rnai.shtml

It can be done today :slight_smile: if anyone had the tools and guts to try it :slight_smile:

looks like it has some issues

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/summary/299/5605/320

DKK1 gene silencing is not an option unless you ask for cancer

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1871668

» DKK1 gene silencing is not an option unless you ask for cancer
»
» http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1871668

what makes the dermal papilla decide to release dkk-1 and tgf-beta is what we ought to be investigating.

science hasn’t made it that far yet though
the real question is what is the difference between beard and head hair’s response to male hormone and how can we change -that- difference, as to what has to be silenced there. It could be as simple as that

I’m not a bio scientist, but from my point of view, if DKK1 is a gene, than it’s the DNA of the follicles that contains this gene. Then together with RNA the gene is epressed into whatever protein it is.

The obvious change would be to silence the DKK1 gene. Which though will never happen, because as I found and posted above, the DKK1 silencing is native to some cancers.

DKK1 seems to be some gene that is tumor suppresing.

The only chance would be to selectively suppress this gene only in the follicles. Which I have no idea if it is feasible.

DKK1: A gene that inhibits the activity of osteoblasts, the cells that build bone. DKK1 acts by inhibiting Wnt signaling, which is essential for the growth and development of osteoblasts.

DKK1 is overexpressed in the plasma cells in multiple myeloma. The DKK1 produced by the myeloma cells tips the balance between osteoblasts and osteoclasts in favor of bone resorption. This contributes to the maintenance of the lytic (“punched-out”) lesions in bone characteristic of multiple myeloma. DKK1 stands for Dickkopf1

DKK-1 is one of many genes expressed by hair follicles, but itself is almost assuredly downstream of other genes. What makes body hair LIKE androgens vs. what makes head hair NOT LIKE androgens is what we are probably looking for. Or
affecting the expression of CAG repeats on the andrognen receptor gene and replacing them with normal ones would also be another route to address the problem. Anyway
SILENCING DKK1 topically in the scalp probably isn’t going to be giving people cancer and scalp cancers are mucho rare anyway
this is where nanoparticles come in. These things are a long way off though, so its kind of a waste of time to even contemplate right now.

In the now, its Follica or probably nothing. If their trial grows alot of hair, Im going to be doing it myself.

»
» In the now, its Follica or probably nothing. If their trial grows alot of
» hair, Im going to be doing it myself.

do you have any faith in Acell?

» »
» » In the now, its Follica or probably nothing. If their trial grows alot
» of
» » hair, Im going to be doing it myself.
»
» do you have any faith in Acell?

IM glad its being trialled in humans and hope it works like a charm
but that company’s focus is obviouisly on skin (burns and deep gouging wounds) so them conducting a trial for hairloss is probably a ways off even if it works. And (more importantly), the pig bladder extract powder, if it does make new hair form after a wounding of the skin x-amount of layers deep, probably works by some of the same cellular-signalling mechanisms as what Follica is doing

If the burn victims regrow the type of hair that was on the skin before the wound at several months of even a year or so post treatment
it would seem likely some kind of wound could be induced on skin, and the same kind of hair would regrow that was there before at least with it. The thing is, for MPB-men that would be more MPB hair. And that is a question facing Follica
alot of guys start to see thinning by their late teens, meaning that in all likelihood, their MPB-process actually started around 15 years of age, only a couple of years after their hair entertaining adult levels of androgens for the first time. I think one would be very wise to stay on anti-androgens even if these things do grow hair, be it finas, fluridil, revivogen or whatever. Hopefully, by that time, things like AJCS9 or something similar to topcal RU58841 will be available and we wont need internal anti-androgens.

»
» IM glad its being trialled in humans and hope it works like a
» charm
but that company’s focus is obviouisly on skin (burns and
» deep gouging wounds) so them conducting a trial for hairloss is probably a
» ways off even if it works. And (more importantly), the pig bladder extract
» powder, if it does make new hair form after a wounding of the skin x-amount
» of layers deep, probably works by some of the same cellular-signalling
» mechanisms as what Follica is doing

»
» If the burn victims regrow the type of hair that was on the skin before
» the wound at several months of even a year or so post treatment
it
» would seem likely some kind of wound could be induced on skin, and the same
» kind of hair would regrow that was there before at least with it. The thing
» is, for MPB-men that would be more MPB hair. And that is a question facing
» Follica

Good points Benji. Here’s my take (assuming that the pig-powder is legit), it seems to me that with the regeneration of skin/tissue what’s at work is stem cells are coaxed into rebuilding the wound, rather than having scar tissue form. Now just as that man who was able to grow back his finger with a nail, I believe the stem cells will rebuild tissue programmed in its DNA and not necessarily a replica of what was there before the injury-a bald spot.

Think about it, the man’s finger was cut off and the body was able to regenerate everything including a healthy functioning nail-so the process is more elegant and deeper than a mere ‘copying’ of what was there before. Otherwise why didn’t it form a layer of skin to turn it into a stub? There’s real regrowth much like a salamander that regenerates a severed limb.

As with the wounds of the animals that completely healed and grew hair/fur-I believe if the stem cells can be turned into their multipotent phase they should be able to reconstruct the ‘virgin skin’ that we had initially-hence leading to a regrowth of our original hair.

the one gene they have been able to nail down and equate with Male Pattern Baldness is the androgen receptor gene. How many CAG repeats on this that you have seems to indicate just how early, severely bald you will go.

And you know what
the fact that when these hairs were formed in fetal development the ectodysplasin genes were present with the AR gene sort of “laying down” the grain and androgenic sensitivity and androgen recptor expression in these hairs might be the whole story. It may be as easy someday as using a topical that inhibits AR-expression (like AJCS9) and that is that. However, that might not regrow lost hair and thats a problem for those of us with recession (like my temples).

In experiements, even occipital scalp hair would react negatively to androgens if the androgenic stimulis got high enough
which leads me to believe that the Androgen Receptors in the hairs native the the MPB-area simply have eitehr too much androgen receptors or the receptors they have are simply too good at what they do (very chemically stable, etc.). That really might be the only difference. When the adnrogenic stimuli gets high enough, the DNA in hair (any hair) might be to “start reacting baldly to it to ward off cancer” or something and the process begins. The occipital hair reacting badly to androgen seeminly would lead one to consider that. I wonder if there are more androgen receptors in body hair or less than in head hair. I wonder what the effect would be if experiments really poured androgen on the body hair? Would it miniaturize, grow like wildfire? Its interesting to speculate.