Gaurav - 3400 fuht + 30 beard hair grafts (15 month update)

Patient nickname - Gaurav
Norwood status - 6

In the first stage of his hair restoration, he underwent 3400 FUHT grafts.
At the same session, 30 complimentary beard hair graft to scalp procedure was also performed.

The beard hair also grew in well. However, they retained their thicker shaft diameter, color and curl.

At a future stage, Gaurav plans to go for more FUSE grafts from the scalp and beard to cover the crown vertex areas of hairloss.

Pictures follow

Before pictures

Graft placement picture (Immediately post op)

After 15 months

Is there no better way to deal with the crown in the first procedure. Would it not be resonable to disguise the bald crown with an additional 1000 FU prior to a second op. It seems very front loaded to me and a little unatural in the remaining balding pattern but the transplanted area looks good.

» Is there no better way to deal with the crown in the first procedure. Would
» it not be resonable to disguise the bald crown with an additional 1000 FU
» prior to a second op. It seems very front loaded to me and a little
» unatural in the remaining balding pattern but the transplanted area looks
» good.

Dear Marco,
Yes, it is possible to address the crown area at the same session in suitable patients (those having sufficient required donor hair).

It is also true some patients go for lower density “sprinkling” of grafts in the crown at the same session when the frontal is being packed at a moderate density.

But for many, as patient’s personal choice, going for both areas at a single session is not feasible.

Regards,
Dr. A

Immediately after extraction

15 months later

I really don’t liek this transplant at all. Not because it has anythign to do with the skills of the doctor - only because it is so front loaded with a shiny crown. At the same time I also understand as you stated some patients don’t have the finances available. Maybe it is the wiser to wait a little longer to get the finances and do a complete and appropriate job on the head. because this is totally unatural and less appealing than the pre-op looks. It’s only my opinion. Again, the doctor skills are not in question here at all - he/she can only advise to a certain degree but the patient gets what they request.

» I really don’t liek this transplant at all. Not because it has anythign to
» do with the skills of the doctor - only because it is so front loaded with
» a shiny crown. At the same time I also understand as you stated some
» patients don’t have the finances available. Maybe it is the wiser to wait a
» little longer to get the finances and do a complete and appropriate job on
» the head. because this is totally unatural and less appealing than the
» pre-op looks. It’s only my opinion. Again, the doctor skills are not in
» question here at all - he/she can only advise to a certain degree but the
» patient gets what they request.

Very true, but it is just worth mentioning that Dr. As clinic is one of the few that give an honest view of class VI post op pics. If you look at some angles including oblique, the HT looks complete. So many clinics only show those pics.

» I really don’t liek this transplant at all. Not because it has anythign to
» do with the skills of the doctor - only because it is so front loaded with
» a shiny crown. At the same time I also understand as you stated some
» patients don’t have the finances available. Maybe it is the wiser to wait a
» little longer to get the finances and do a complete and appropriate job on
» the head. because this is totally unatural and less appealing than the
» pre-op looks. It’s only my opinion. Again, the doctor skills are not in
» question here at all - he/she can only advise to a certain degree but the
» patient gets what they request.

Dear mj2003,
Seen in person, the result does not look unnatural. The patient still has a bald crown. But that is a pattern seen in some people in natural course of their hairloss.

Finances are one, but not the only reason a person may choose to follow multistage transplant option.

• some want to go for a strip and given their scalp laxity and density, this may be only graft numbers possible
  • others want to see the results first hand in themselves before going for larger sessions
  • even when going for a multi stage transplant, its advisable to choose the final desired hairline in the initial sessions (before one runs out of scalp donor hair). Therefore, the hairline before the crown.

Regards,
Dr. A

I think he looks many times better after the
surgery. He has tons of quality beard hair.
He can use those with some scalp hair to look
after his crown in the next round.

» I think he looks many times better after the
» surgery. He has tons of quality beard hair.
» He can use those with some scalp hair to look
» after his crown in the next round.

I remember you saying about going for ht with Dr Ruby. Have you had work done. Care to share your progress/experience?!

I beg to differ, but it’s only my opinion.

I’m glad you brought that up as I don’t see it mentioned much here. If one is really low on donor supply I’ve always thought an excellent way to go is for as much donor hair in the hair line and use some donor mixed with beard/body for vertex and crown. However, I’ve yet read anywhere as to whether or not the body/beard hair can fully take the course of the natural head hair; i.e. grow in the same lenth as the natural hair on the head/ or is it limited to growing in length once implanted?

maybe dr arvind can shed some light on this

» I think he looks many times better after the
» surgery. He has tons of quality beard hair.
» He can use those with some scalp hair to look
» after his crown in the next round.

However, I’ve yet read anywhere as to
» whether or not the body/beard hair can fully take the course of the natural
» head hair; i.e. grow in the same lenth as the natural hair on the head/ or
» is it limited to growing in length once implanted?
»
» maybe dr arvind can shed some light on this
»
»

Dear mj2003,
We advise patients to assume that the transplanted body and beard hair will retain their original characteristics.
Regards,
Dr. A