Full hair regrowth (benoxaprofen and sulfasalazine arthritis drugs)

» This is a new thread to discuss 3 cases in which it seems rheumatroid
» arthritis drugs restored hair.
»
» What is interesting about these 3 cases is that:
»
» 1) growth of hairs was over an area of scalp that he
» previously been devoid of visible hair

»
» 2) and the new density of new hair growth on the
» scalp was equal to that on the areas of his scalp that were not subject to
» balding.

»
» 3) They were male pattern baldness sufferers
»
» this is something that sounds like a complete cure. The ultimate goal we
» are after. And its been done 3 times on humans. Noone else acheived
» anything even margnaly close to this.
»
» First two cases are on benoxaprofen.
»
» Third is recent report of hlh user who reported that he regrew 3cm of slick
» bald frontal hairline loss to full density and teen like coverage while he
» was taking sulfasalazine.
»
» The timeline for these incidents were 5-9 months of continuous oral drug
» intake to see the regrowth. The dosages of sulfasalazine was 3000mg a day.
»
» I already posted 2 related threads where more information can be found:
»
» benoxaprofen:
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-32535-page-0-category-1-order-last_answer.html
»
» sulfasalazine and benoxaprofen:
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-84934.html
»
» Bellow here is a summary of my findings so far:
»
» Both benoxaprofen an sulfasalazine have few things in common.
»
» One is for almost sure. The drugs alone wont grow hair. I concluded this
» from the fact that plenty of ppl take the drugs, so if hair growth was
» common side effect, they would have noticed. The ultimate goal of this
» thread would be to find out what is the missing part that together with
» these drugs gave the users the pleasant side effect.
»
» They have similar side effects (photosensitivity for example). Both are
» anti inflamatory drugs used to treat rheumatoic arthritis and similar
» diseases.
»
» Theres also a study that says that misture of iron ions together with
» 5-aminolevulinic-acid 5ala (active component in sulfasalazine) grows hair
» in mice
»
» Mixture of 5-Aminolevulinic Acid and Iron Increases Hair Growth in Mice
»
»
» And patent that shows growth in humans (although its not sure if these were
» male pattern baldness cases at all):
»
» http://www.google.com/patents?hl=cs&lr=&vid=USPATAPP11568322&id=oE2iAAAAEBAJ&oi=fnd&dq=5-aminolevulinic+acid+"male+pattern"&printsec=abstract#v=onepage&q=5-aminolevulinic%20acid%20"male%20pattern"&f=false
»
» The regrowth in the patent is unusualy fast (4-7 weeks).
»
» There is some minor evidence that arthritis has to do with some lack of
» some bone progenitor cells (and we know that hairloss has to do with lack
» of hair follicle progenitor cells as well)
»
» Google Scholar
»
» Sulfasalazine is also used to reverse fibrosis.
»
» http://www.gastrojournal.org/article/S0016-5085(04)01847-5/abstract?referrer=http://scholar.google.cz/scholar?q=sulfasalazine+fibrosis&hl=cs&btnG=Hledat
»
» We also speculated that it could be sunburn (the photosensitivity damage) +
» the drug that stimulates the new growth.
»
» This is very weak hypothesis. To support it we only have a gefinitib guy
» case which somehow shows regrowth on areas exposed to sun (if he got
» sunburn from back to front). All in all, i consider this to be just
» speculation.
»
» http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-33436.html
»
» Although it should also be stated that the patent also suggests that
» opposite can be acheived (if too much of 5-ala together with photo
» stimulation is used, follicles can be damaged).
»
» If we were to try topical mixture of 5-ala and iron ions or mixture based
» on the patents, we should probably first test it on areas where possible
» hairloss wont bother us (very back of our neck for example) to find out if
» its safe. Also both users of anti androgens and users who do not use
» antiandrogens at all should try to test this, because atm we dont know if
» that can interfere with the treatment.
»
» Im sick of this disease. Lets try to crack this down.
»
» Everyone who can contribute please do so. Everyone who knows anyone who is
» scientificaly interested or knows any hair loss site user who is especialy
» bright in science of hairloss, please notify them of this thread.

Seriously Dangerous ref.
http://www.hair LossHelp.com is for sale | HugeDomains

1000 hair shafts is a hell of a lot. That’s like yanking every single hair shaft from several square cms of scalp area.

Back when wounding the skin was getting a lot of attention in the HM world, Follica was talking about doing a wound area a minimum of 2mm wide - that doesn’t even approach 1000 hair shafts.

I do think there may be something to sunburns. The cases of big regrowth in the two cancer patients were both probably the result of sunburns.

But then again . . . the HM researchers seemed pretty convinced that abrasive-type wounding would do fine.

But then again . . . they also never succeeded with the whole concept.

I dunno.

I have said it before that the key to a cure, can be found with these 3 individual. There is more to it than just these drugs and the sunburn/ abrasion concept. Companies serious about being at the forefront of finding a cure, should be studying these three individuals until the answer became apparent

» I have said it before that the key to a cure, can be found with these 3
» individual. There is more to it than just these drugs and the sunburn/
» abrasion concept. Companies serious about being at the forefront of
» finding a cure, should be studying these three individuals until the answer
» became apparent

Sulfasalzine, Benoxprofen, 5-ASA all block prostaglandins. They should be testing which prostaglandins are being blocked and which are up regulated. I know Dr. Cots was working on egfr inhibitors and wounding but nothing came from it. Maybe, it led him to PGD2.

I did an experiment with the prostaglandin analogue f2a, bimatoprost and uva/uvb lighting two weeks ago and noticed spots of increased melanogenisis in just eight days, which leads me to believe that sunburn increased the effectiveness of Bimatoprost.

Studies have shown bimatoprost increases melanogensis in patients at day 100 (average) but it took me 8 days. Obviously sunburn directly increases melanogenisis so not sure what role it would play in hair growth. I’m hoping that hair will start to grow in a couple of months but who knows. :smiley:

» Let me start off by saying that EGFR inhibitors have serious side effects
» and should always be used with extreme caution.
»
» What’s the relationship between Sulfasalazine, benoxprofen, and EGFR
» inhibitors?
»
»
»
» Links showing these drugs increase hair growth in some users,
»
» Persistent hair growth during treatment with the EGFR inhibitor erlotinib
»
» http://community.macmillan.org.uk/cancer_types/bowel-colon-rectum-cancer/f/26/p/51239/520577.aspx
»
» Cancer Fighters Community
»
» https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:qX1GU2NNIu4J:jco.ascopubs.org/content/29/18/e532.full.pdf+cetuximab+facial+hair&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgkAWe9Rrba4ox8o6k_xL73qXRLis8I71YetQvoV9Xw9s8Q9ctEqny3AGCum9ww-YLDcjYOGi1E0YNbnUhCKIzuwrY5rRuMupT-WRwOp6Yel5qGpa3bs6WIJd8Wvg7HB1UwAQB5&sig=AHIEtbQ4U8Kzv3hi90wJ1WGMpdD61u31Pg
»
» These drugs all cause photosensitivity . EGFR is found in the skin and
» follicles.

Guys, I found the link between sulfasalazine and the egfr inhibitor that regrew hair on that dude’s scalp and nose, years ago. The guy who had cancer was on Getfitnib, but we never discovered why he was the only case we came across, i now know why, the reason being doctors usually prescribe another cancer drug called Celecoxib to use in conjunction. Celecoxib is a cox-2 inhibitor and it contains Sulfonamide which is in Sulfasalazine.

There is a patent using sulfonamide derivates to block PGD2 at the DP2 receptor!!

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20100069638

This guarantees that Dr. Cots is correct about PGD2!!

Scalp wounding via sunburn, dermabrasion, wounding etc and use a sulfonamide derivative and there you have it.

Shivers, do you have any information or a link that shows these drugs are associated with blocking prostaglandins?

Benoxaprofen was used for rheumatoid arthritis and found to cause multiple side effects, including hypertrichosis (increased hair growth) but was banned in 1982 because it was found to cause deaths.

I think it’s useless getting excited over drugs that were taken off the market a long time ago because some patients died from using them. If this information is being posted just to show the connection between hair growth and blocking prostaglandins, it’s good information because it further corroborates the PGD2 theory.

But if anyone has any ideas that these drugs, which have been banned for causing deaths, will somehow be brought back to treat hair loss, people here are living in a fantasy world and are wasting our time.

I feel like this thread should be revisited in light of the dermarolling+minoxidil study getting lots of attention. Any thoughts from the experts?

That’s interesting.

I wonder if anyone has tried combining Gefitnib + Celecoxib + a sunburn.

And we never really ruled out the factor of cancer patients possibly having severely suppressed immune systems either. We don’t have a very good understanding of how the immune system relates to MPB but we do know it can affect it.

A pair of drugs intended for late-stage cancer patients + a sunburn + possibly immune suppression. Hmm . . That is probably a pretty rare occurrence. Rare enough for me to believe it could possibly hold a surprise that science has not already discovered. That does not sound like much but it is more than I can say for most of the combinations that have been tried by DIY Follica experimenters.

I would also be interested in seeing micro-needling in conjunction with a topical Celecoxib solution.

This is pretty much Follica’s treatment. Wounding of the scalp & reducing the inflammatory cascade that promotes collagen induction leading to wound-induced hair follicles. Fetal skin in mice is absent or have low levels of inflammation after full-thickness incisions, its the reason why they heal without scar. This is where the best treatment is going to come from and Follica has it. I just wish they would publish more results.

dont stop posting shivers

this is the answer…

no, the drugs that killed people shouldn’t be brought back… but we should study all of this anyway-- the answer is in there, but with another drug.

Celocoxib + microneedling:

That is basically suggesting that Celocoxib + superficial wounding = new hair.

A painkiller gets prescribed to lots of people. Many of them would have decreased vision & maneuverability and would injure more easily from age. If people on the drug were sprouting up patches of thick dark new hair every time they scraped themselves while on a painkiller, then we would know about it already. It can’t be that simple.

There was a fair amount of reason to suspect Geftinib was the reason for the hair growth. (And that’s still the only thing we know for sure they were taking). My money is still on that drug being required, perhaps in conjunction with Celocixib. Geftinib is also on the expensive & rare side which is further reason to believe the phenomenon could have gone under the radar up to now.

The sulfazine component alone might have done it in some cases for reasons that I don’t pretend to understand. But I just don’t see how the phenomenon could have remained undiscovered if that was really all it took.

I also think the sunburn issue may have been crucial.

When discussing Follica, people tend to get carried away focusing on the exact specifics of the correct wounding process. But its not that big of a deal and the wound itself does not have to be very severe. However this also leads me to think that since wounding is common then we have to wonder why these hair regrowth effects aren’t being seen more commonly. Meanwhile we know that sunburning seems to cause some potent healing reactions within the body that ordinary wounding does not. And the people with accidental regrowth are showing patterns/locations that at least suggest the possibility of sunburns.

Follica thinks they can get regrowth from just wounding without sunburning. Okay, but that does not mean sunburning wasn’t crucial for these accidental cases to work. Maybe Follica believes they can spur similar healing effects with some other means. Maybe certain drugs, or perfect timing of events, etc. Remember that they are not only trying to solve this problem but also end up with a marketable treatment out of it.