FUE by SAFE. 0.75mm A reinforcement thread. Hairtech

I felt it necessary to again provide pictures and commentary to the way we provide FUE by the surgically advanced follicular extraction or SAFE. Please understand that there are many physicians out there that perform FUE with great care and quality. My threads are to bring to light how one office performs this technique. The key here is that I am now proving over and over that a 0.75mm punch is sufficient to extract great quality grafts as well as prove that 3’s, 4’s and 5’s are unharmed by this size punch. Why am I hammering this point home? Because again… When you have the opportunity to start out with a small punch, then that will also result is a less chance for scarring. Our range is from 0.75mm to 1.0mm. We try to stick or “titrate” to the lowest millimeter number that effectivily will produce quality grafts.

Mr. Patient after Dr. Harris has marked the areas we will extract.

Tina is shaving the patient. This patient wants to wear a high and tight.

After some sedation to ease the pain of anaestesia, I begin the local under Dr. Harris’s direction.

We started at 9:00 sharp. It is 10:15. The patient wants a break.

Side note… We have XM Radio here. Most patients want to listen to his/her genre. Lucky for me… He likes XM 82… dance/house/tribal. :lol:

I took this quick shot to show how quickly we are punching and extracting. We are at count 400. Please pay particular attention to the clean extraction areas only 1 hour and 15 minutes into the surgery. No mess or blood. There reasons for this and i will expand on that in a different thread.

Now here is friendly Danaery counting and processing grafts… Which you can see are coming with ease.

We are finished extracting… It is 11:30AM

Now it is time to make sites. First we measure the graft to the site blade. This will ensure correct depth of placement. My last photo was washed out so I decided to take this again.

Dr Harris preparing the recipient area. He uses a minimal amount of tumescence to control bleeding.

Hairtech and Dr. Harris trying out the graft to site just to make sure there is a correct depth.

Dr. Harris is making sites.

Friendly Danaery just finished lunch and so did the patient. It is 12:30PM Let’s start placing.

Again, let’s have a plan that matches what the patient and Dr. Harris discussed during their consult.

The grafts are going home in this picture.

I will get to questions in just a second. Let me finish the day. I could not connect to the site and waited until I got home to finish. The case was finished by 1:30PM.

Below is the grafts finished. Now look at the arrow. Here we have a graft that seems to want to “pop” This is common to all clinics. Popping is caused by a variety of reasons. Here it is probably caused by slow bleeding causing a “slow rise” of the graft. A seasoned tech knows that this graft needs to be reset back into its slot. This is why it is so important to bring the patient back the next day to re-check grafts.

Also one last note on site size. We try to stay below 1.1mm as much as possible. Most grafts can comfortably fit into this size slot and even FUT grafts. The range of site slot size is 0.8-1.7mm in some clinics. However consider this. The smaller the site size, the lesser the trauma which leads to quicker healing times. We typically stick between 0.9 for singles and 1.1 for larger grafts such as 2’s, 3’s, 4’s, etc.

Now Dr. Harris is re-checking the grafts after we completed the placing aspect of the case.

Now here is one of my favorite pictures of all time. This picture really proves without a doubt that USING SMALLER PUNCHES NOT ONLY PROVIDES GRAFTS OF 2’S, 3’S, 4’S AND EVEN 5’S, BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY IT GIVES THE BEST CHANCE FOR MINIMAL SCARRING.

Look at this donor area after the case was complete… and only 4 hours after we started. No bloody mess. No need for sutures. No need to staple or glue or fill the holes with material. Below is a comparison of the donor area at 1.5 hours into the case and 4 hours into the case. The patient will return tomorrow and I will provide these pictures.

Nice work Hairtech. What’s the total on the grafts removed, and how many 1’s, 2’s, 3’s+ were placed. Did the patient have many singles, or was dissecting necessary.

A few pictures up you can see the percentage breakdown. It is on the dry eraser board. Do you see it? On the left side of the board.

Dissection was not necessary. He had an existing frontal hairline.

Don’t forget to post “After” photos of this patient.
Do you have any repair cases in your archives? I’d love to see some photos that show how a strip scar can be repaired.

the thing with these cases that you show us hairtech is that none has extensive hairloss so we cannot judje the final results or make any conclusions regardig the numbers we can go with FUE.

IF i had the hairloss that these guys that you show us have everything would be a dream :).but since most people head to NW6 we would like to see a case with high numbers from the beginning to the end.

Your intentions are applauded but as a next step we have to see patients with real hairloss as well.

» Your intentions are applauded but as a next step we have to see patients
» with real hairloss as well.

I completely understand… I picked small cases on purpose. We do larger FUE cases also. I just used the smaller case opportunities to be able to show consistency of routine and to show how quick we can get a patient in and out As we have larger FUE cases in the future, I will get these out.

Now having said this… today, we are scheduled for a 3400-3500 FUT case. I am going to start a thread about this type of procedure also. However, pictures will be slow here mainly because I will be tied up in work today.

Thanks for the comments.

Hairtech, what does Dr. Harris charge per FUT graft. Is there a difference in shaven, patches, and unshaven. Also, can you post some clear close-up pics of his hairline work grown out. Pics on his site are unrevealing. Thanks

Ok here is the next day photos of the donor area. And then a comparative look. at 1.5 hrs/4hrs/and 20hrs post op. I cannot tell you enough how great this looks to me. I am not used to this type of donor area at post op.

Damon working on the revision pictures for you.

Hairtech, what does Dr. Harris charge per FUT graft. FUE or FUT?

Is there a difference in shaven, patches, and unshaven. In FUE or FUT?

Also, can you post some clear close-up pics of his hairline work grown out. Pics on his site are unrevealing. Thanks

Here is one…

» Ok here is the next day photos of the donor area. And then a comparative
» look. at 1.5 hrs/4hrs/and 20hrs post op. I cannot tell you enough how
» great this looks to me. I am not used to this type of donor area at post
» op.

You mean when you worked for cole :stuck_out_tongue: ouch…