Fue/bht density -- woman -- doc recommendations?

Hi. I’m new to this board. I’m a woman … aged 45. I have had three transplants, two from a plastic surgeon with no real net gain. I gave it another try with a hair transplant surgeon … this time with a net gain. This last surgery was eight years ago. All of these surgeries, were, of course the strip method.

Before I had these surgeries done, my family physician did a TSH (the “gold standard” thyroid panel). It came back normal. Now … eight years later, I found a holistic doctor who ran a whole series of hormone tests and expanded thyroid tests. He found my hormones and thyroid were way out of wack. Since then, they have been corrected. I wish I would have known then what I know now … cuz I could have saved myself thousands of dollars and pain. I am sure that my original follicles are now dead, as I have been on the medication for 6 months now and my crown is still not filling in.

I’ve decided to look at another transplant … this time I want to be much more educated, because there is now way I can go through another one … I will have to scrape the money together to purchase this one! I have gone through soooo much, when I really didn’t need to.

The hair on the top of my head is still sparse and I have to use Dermatch to make it look filled in. The sides and back are ok … still not as thick as I want, but I can put extensions in to make them look thicker.

I would like to find a transplant doctor to do FUE with either my body hair or another donor’s hair. I’m looking for a doctor that can really get some density. There is 2 to 3MM between each hair now (according to the graph). Can anyone recommend a doctor who has had success with dense packing using FUE BHT’s? How many graphs would be needed if I’m currently at 3MM? Do any of these doctors guarantee their work? (I just don’t want anymore empty promises from anymore docs) Thanks!

Alex

I don’t think hair transplant works that well for women. You had it done before with no success, what makes you think it will be different this time?

Have you tried minoxidil, spiro and Retin-A?

Is it 3mm sparse throughout the scalp? With pics it helps better understand the situation.
you could also email pics to various docs and get an opinion.
Also make sure you tell them what your expectations are when you email the doctor- And if its possible or not. But since 8 years things have changed.

» I don’t think hair transplant works that well for women. You had it done
» before with no success, what makes you think it will be different this
» time?

Technology and science has changed quite a bit in 8 years. My first two transplants were with a plastic surgeon who did not specialize in HT’s. I should have had it done from a HT surgeon right from the beginning. Another thing is I want to have BHT’s. Which would mean that the donor hair wouldn’t be coming from my scalp. I’ve also got a friend who is willing to donate, because he has a ton of hair.

Alex

» Have you tried minoxidil, spiro and Retin-A?

I have tried it all … and have spent thousands … I’m just done with it. Now that my new doctor has found the source of the thinning, some of my hair has come back; however, the top of my head is still thin and it doesn’t look like its going to be coming back … the follicles are probably dead. Soooo … now that I know what was causing the thinning, I don’t have to worry about the transplanted hairs falling out.

Alex

How many grafts did you have in the past? Do you now have 1 strip scar or 3? Did they stretch since you had the procedures done?

Most women tend to have diffuse thinning. Generally speaking, hair transplant tends to work better on individuals who have very distinct pattern of baldness.

Can you upload or email me hairsite@aol.com pics of the problem areas? This way we will have a better idea of your situation. You do not need to show your face in the pics. I can get different FUE/BHT doctors review your case and let you know their opinions too.

The calibre of body hair on women is probably like peach fuzz with no pigmentation, I doubt they are good donor for hair transplant. You reap what you sow, you need good calibre body hair to get good result.

Wow that was fun… let me do it again…

OMG that is so fun… let me do it more…

holy crap… this is so fun… now I understand you david shay… what a thrill.

» holy crap… this is so fun… now I understand you david shay… what a
» thrill.

I have seen great HTs on women so i think you could get a good result. However you cant use hair from anothers persons head, the grafts would get rejected. I wouldnt use body hair either because the yeild will probably be low and you cant grow it that long. How many grafts would you say you have left in your scalp donor, and could you also post photos of your situation.

» How many grafts did you have in the past? Do you now have 1 strip scar or
» 3? Did they stretch since you had the procedures done?
»
» Most women tend to have diffuse thinning. Generally speaking, hair
» transplant tends to work better on individuals who have very distinct
» pattern of baldness.
»
» Can you upload or email me hairsite@aol.com pics of the problem areas?
» This way we will have a better idea of your situation. You do not need to
» show your face in the pics. I can get different FUE/BHT doctors review
» your case and let you know their opinions too.

With the plastic surgeon … I had 500 for each surgery (2). Lots of shock though and didn’t really have a net gain after the hair fell out (from shock). Then I had 1800 from a HT surgeon.

I have fine hair, so I’m going to need to have a surgeon who specializes in dense packing … because quite frankly … i’m really sick of wearing dermatch on my head. I have been tested for DHT and it was within the normal limits. My thyroid was bad … I’m now on armour thyroid. When I got on that … my hormones got screwed up … and the lab couldn’t even pickup testosterone on my labs. My estrogen was extremely low. So, now I have that taken care of. Its a viscious cycle! Anyway, we think we have it under control now, I just want my hair back. I’ve spent thousands and thousands of dollars on this and don’t want any more empty promises.

I would like to find a physician who specializes in dense packing and who can use my body hair (pubic, armpit, and leg hair). The problem is that I’m not a real hairy girl! The pubic hair can go … I shave it anyways … but how long will it grow?

Alex