FUE 4 A buzzed head ( less is more approach)

Hi all,
I,m new here was wondering if some FUE clinic reps could impart some wisdom for me,i,m 35 years old and diffuse in whats seems to be NW5 (hopefully). I,ve been buzzing down for approach 5 years and i am comfortable with the buzzed look,I was wondering what is the maximum FUE grafts the average doner has and are they taken from the safe zone? and not the nape area?
Also how many grafts would be needed to pull of a good looking buzz cut 3mm-6mm on a area of approx 180cm as i said i,m diffuse so not officially bald just thinned out would this be a problem concerning implating between existing hairs?
i,ve guestimated i would need approx 4000 FU ,if i decided to go strip after 4000 FUE would this be a problem in regard to the dissection of the FU ie…transection,scarring etc…

Solar, posting a few pics would help a lot.

» Hi all,
» I,m new here was wondering if some FUE clinic reps could impart some
» wisdom for me,i,m 35 years old and diffuse in whats seems to be NW5
» (hopefully). I,ve been buzzing down for approach 5 years and i am
» comfortable with the buzzed look,I was wondering what is the maximum FUE
» grafts the average doner has and are they taken from the safe zone? and not
» the nape area?
» Also how many grafts would be needed to pull of a good looking buzz cut
» 3mm-6mm on a area of approx 180cm as i said i,m diffuse so not officially
» bald just thinned out would this be a problem concerning implating between
» existing hairs?
» i,ve guestimated i would need approx 4000 FU ,if i decided to go strip
» after 4000 FUE would this be a problem in regard to the dissection of the
» FU ie…transection,scarring etc…

Hi MJ,
I will post pics but just looking for advice at the moment

well not one response to my questions , come on guys i need some advice here is’nt this what the forum is about ?

I asked Dr Rasmussen about this a few years ago. My thinking was, since I’m committed to a lifetime buzz-down anyhow, and since it would require prohibitive amount of grafts to get grown-out “full” head of hair, I’d rather just get a smaller amount and spread them out just enough to effect some random stubble, a bit of shine-reducing shadow, and leave it at that. I’m pretty much given up on the idea of ever having a full, grown-out head of hair. The reason I asked Rasmussen was because when I asked two local HT docs – both totally refused to consider this. They told me: "No no you’ve got to have the super-mega session and recreate a massive impenetrable wall o’ hair along what was once your hairline."
I have no idea whether Rasmussen is any good or not or what his rep here is, because I haven’t kept up with it. But I can say that he at least “got” what I meant, and was OK with the idea and said he had done it before. There was some guy who used to post here regularly but I can’t recall his name – this was probably 5 years ago – who got the same thing done somewhere else and seemed happy with it. That’s where I got the idea to start thinking about it. However the guy did emphasize that since I was going to be buzzing it close it better not be a strip. That’s all I know.

XB,
thx for the reply i,m in the same situ as you seem to be, i prefer to buzz down and have done for several years i have not wish to achieve “a wall of hair” just a less is more approach. take a look in Dr Cole,s site there is a perfect example of a less is more approach

The only problem I can see when doing FUE for a 5’oclock shadow buzzed look is with the donor area. If you’re lucky enough to have minimal scaring there is still the problem of all those donor grafts being missing. It’s likely that people would look at the back of your head and see lots of little gaps where there should be hairs, even if the scaring is almost invisible.

» Hi all,
» grafts the average doner has and are they taken from the safe zone?

The max depends on your particular donor density and size of your head. They are taken from the safe zone.

and not
» the nape area?

They can be taken from the nape which is arguably safe. The nape thins usually in the elderly or those with very severe hairloss.

» existing hairs?

Not a problem at all to implant between existing hairs. Hard to say how many grafts you need without pics.

If you want to buzz your hair then strip is not a good idea as your scar will be visible. You should only consider FUE if this is your strategy.

If you want to keep it buzzed down then I think FUE is the way to go.

solar, looks like you have a good plan there. :slight_smile:

thx for the replys all,

i,ll outline my plan to you all basically i,m gonna do a 2500 FUE for frontal third,then make a decision regarding strip/FUE combo for the maximum grafts for good coverage as and when needed in the future, or on the other side go for the less is more approach maxing out on FUE,my thinking with this route is perhaps 6oooFUE(average doner) from safe zone then if needed i would probably conservativly utilise the nape probably for a max of 7k grafts in total, as mentioned if i could only get to a G2 buzz on the sides using FUE and a G3 if i went strip i think the 1st option is probably the best option

Solar you have gotten some good advice here. It might be helpful for you to post a few photos. This would give everyone a better idea of your situation.

» thx for the replys all,
»
» i,ll outline my plan to you all basically i,m gonna do a 2500 FUE for
» frontal third,then make a decision regarding strip/FUE combo for the
» maximum grafts for good coverage as and when needed in the future, or on
» the other side go for the less is more approach maxing out on FUE,my
» thinking with this route is perhaps 6oooFUE(average doner) from safe zone
» then if needed i would probably conservativly utilise the nape probably for
» a max of 7k grafts in total, as mentioned if i could only get to a G2 buzz
» on the sides using FUE and a G3 if i went strip i think the 1st option is
» probably the best option

I think the less is more approach is the smartest when it comes to hair transplant, and dr. cole is probably the best for “less is more” , that said I don’t think I would use 7k grafts for a lessis more look, that is too many I think.

Pats, i,m gonna put some pics up ASAP cheers

John, i would probably only get 35 FU per CM for 7k grafts which for me is a less is more approach. cheers

I am curious what norwood class are you. I am a NW5, this is one less is more result from Cole that has always been on my mind, which needless to say I like very much beacuse it didn’t require a lot of grafts and it covered a lot of grounds

After Cole 1500 grafts

I know this does not appeal to most people because there is no density but i just just aiming for a thin dusting effect without spending a lot of money, I don’t need a head of hair like someone in his 20s, if I can turn back the clock by 5 years, I would be very happy.

» I am curious what norwood class are you. I am a NW5, this is one less is
» more result from Cole that has always been on my mind, which needless to
» say I like very much beacuse it didn’t require a lot of grafts and it
» covered a lot of grounds
»
»
»
»
»
»
»
» After Cole 1500 grafts
»
»
»
»
» I know this does not appeal to most people because there is no density but
» i just just aiming for a thin dusting effect without spending a lot of
» money, I don’t need a head of hair like someone in his 20s, if I can turn
» back the clock by 5 years, I would be very happy.

Hi,
I dont really fit into a NW class i,m a diffuse thinner so basically thinned out, hairline is probably a NW2.5 with general thinning in what seems to be a NW4-5-6 pattern.incidentally whats the difference between a NW5 and a NW6 pattern?(any pics showing the difference would be appreciated) if i had to say i would say my hair looks like the after pic of your example from Cole,a diffused thin look as i’ve said i would prefer to buzz down to G1-2 (i dont know if this would be possible with a 1mm punch).
Most people are’nt aware of the extent of my hairloss they just say i,ve receaded at the temples a little and and that the rest of my hair looks normal,i have’nt grew my hair out for a few years so i dint realise the extent it had thinned ,i’m letting it grow out at the moment and IMO it looks very diffuse although my wife says its just thin on the front,i’ll post a few pics up when i get a chance

Solar I have a feeling I know who you are on the forums lol :lol2:

Hey Solar,

I don’t think it looks bad at all. If that’s what you want then that’s what matters.

Gabriel

» Hey Solar,
»
» I don’t think it looks bad at all. If that’s what you want then that’s
» what matters.
»
» Gabriel

hey all just to clarify the pics are of a less is more patient of Dr Coles.

MJ,you know me from other forums ? or personally?

» Hi all,
» grafts the average doner has and are they taken from the safe zone? and not
» the nape area?
» existing hairs?
I think like others have said here if you have any thoughts of wanting to keep your hair short, buzz cut etc then you definitely should go with fue.
Just went to a linked site from one of the posters here which shows you some pretty gory stip photos from the 80s up until today, and its definitely not for the faint hearted. You should check it out first incase you have any thoughts of going with strip.

» » Hey Solar,
» »
» » I don’t think it looks bad at all. If that’s what you want then that’s
» » what matters.
» »
» » Gabriel
»
» hey all just to clarify the pics are of a less is more patient of Dr
» Coles.
»
» MJ,you know me from other forums ? or personally?

Hello Solar,

I’m in the same boat as you. A less is more approach would do me quite well. Well I would like a whole head of thick hair, who wouldn’t? I realize the most realistic thing for me to do, would be to utilzie the approach you are talking about. If I went all out FUE to try and get that thick head of hair, I would spend thousands, and pretty much blow all my future donor site, for hair I will need.

I like to keep my hair short, but I want to have some type of a hairline and no bald spot. Just less is more like the pics of dr. Cole’s patient there. If the scarring with strip wasn’t so severe (that is to say if they were able to get great results with Acell) I would choose Hassan & Wong in a heartbeat. They do some of the best work in the business, but I really don’t want a strip scar sitting on the back of my head. Also, sooner or later (and of course we keep hearing just 5 more years!) science will have something worthwile to help us grow a lot more hair. So I’d rather role the dice with FUE, no scar, and hope we have other advancements down the road. But H&W do perform great work, I just can’t have a scar though.

Also, have you considered trying to blend in Body hair into your transplant, maybe 25% or 50% to save more head donor hair for future operations if you need it? This is something I’m considering.

Best wishes, and where are the pics already? :slight_smile:

missmyhair…aka Cdub