For Cal and TAGOHL on my experiment

» maybe, but I don’t always follow the fashion, anyway think for a minute
» and realize both things are still far away

I’m thinking you’re a real skeptic, and that’s fine with me.
Personally, I’m more than happy to wait five years for something LEGITIMATE

I’m not saying this is a perfect (or even very good) solution. I’m just pointing out a potentially relevant fact here -

We all know that half the problem with FUE work is the painstaking nature of the grafting in order to get the survival rate high.

But if the donor supply is truly not limited, then we could let standards of FUE extraction slip a lot more (read: cheaper clinics popping up) with less negative consequences for it. You might pay for more than you got, but between choosing 3-4 hair grafts and a lot of rounds of the work, it would probably come out acceptable looking and somewhat cheaper than good FUE work costs right now.

» I’m not saying this is a perfect (or even very good) solution. I’m just
» pointing out a potentially relevant fact here -
»
»
»
» We all know that half the problem with FUE work is the painstaking nature
» of the grafting in order to get the survival rate high.
»
» But if the donor supply is truly not limited, then we could let standards
» of FUE extraction slip a lot more (read: cheaper clinics popping up) with
» less negative consequences for it. You might pay for more than you got,
» but between choosing 3-4 hair grafts and a lot of rounds of the work, it
» would probably come out acceptable looking and somewhat cheaper than good
» FUE work costs right now.

I usually agree with you cal, BUT increased donor supply won’t eliminate the tedious part of harvesting/ implanting grafts, so costs wouldn’t drop all that much. Moreso, I don’t want some barely qualified techs from a fly-by-night clinic mucking about my head… especially if they think they have a free pass to ignore the consequences of harvesting the donor area.

Your concept’s valid… in an ideal industry, but this is the hair biz we’re talking about.

I think that the only thing that will delay Follica from getting to commercial market is red tape and unscrupulous backhanders from other interested parties in order to ‘encourage’ delay.

» I think that the only thing that will delay Follica from getting to
» commercial market is red tape and unscrupulous backhanders from other
» interested parties in order to ‘encourage’ delay.

Well if you’re a conspiracy theorist: there aren’t enough MAJOR drug competitors to lobby against Follica (propecia will probably keep selling to Follica clients who are concerned about DHT resistance), competing biotechs (Aderans, and InterCytex) seem more preoccupied with the media circuit than the science, and HT doctors seldom get together to get anything done… one trip to the Hair Transplant forum will show you how some of them bicker amongst each other.

The most obvious thing holding Follica back is the protocols/science (you can attest to that through your personal experiments Baccy). Sure, red tape’s a major b*tch, but at least the heads at PureTech have real world experience marketing life sciences (if anyone knows how to get around the red tape - they do).

So let’s just hope Follica (or some other regenerative process) works. There’s only a small handful of honest HT doctors in this business (they’ll find alternate work easily)… the rest of them deserve to be bankrupted for abusing their Hippocratic Oath.

Rev -

About the cheaper FUE thoughts, I agree that it’s not a great solution to anything, and that it probably wouldn’t cheapen the procedure a whole lot. But I just suspect that this would end up happening one way or another.

If FUE costs could even just be lowered to something nearer the price of good strip work, even that would make a major impact on the situation. And right now FUE work hasn’t really even seen major outsourcing away from North America yet, and that’s one thing capable of cheapening ANYTHING being done by human hands.

I’m just commenting on what will probably happen, regardless of my opinion about it. It’s not what I want either. I just want Folica to work so we can give all our grandkids back their inheritances.

» The most obvious thing holding Follica back is the protocols/science (you
» can attest to that through your personal experiments Baccy).»
»

We can’t really compare the experiments I’ve been doing in my bathroom with the University’s experiments in a lab. I’m flattered by your remarks though. :slight_smile: I’m afraid the highest qualification I possess is a HNC in Engineering.