Follica raises $11million in 2nd round of venture financing

Follica Inc., a Boston company working on developing treatments for hair loss and other “hair follicle disorders,” raised $11 million in its second round of venture capital. Investors included Polaris Venture Partners, Interwest Partners, and PureTech Ventures. The company, which raised $5.5 million in January, currently has four full-time employees. (Todd Wallack)

http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/08/12/stop__shop_recalls_tuna_salad_over_listeria_fears/

» Follica Inc., a Boston company working on developing treatments for hair
» loss and other “hair follicle disorders,” raised $11 million in its second
» round of venture capital. Investors included Polaris Venture Partners,
» Interwest Partners, and PureTech Ventures. The company, which raised $5.5
» million in January, currently has four full-time employees. (Todd Wallack)
»
» http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/08/12/stop__shop_recalls_tuna_salad_over_listeria_fears/
»
»

only four?
Is the cleaning woman included?
:frowning:

» only four?
» Is the cleaning woman included?
» :frowning:

Sweet Jesus!!! Follica is starting trials, they got another huge chunk of cash, they have a dream-team of “PART TIME” academics contributing to the research, and the caliber of people working at PureTech is nothing to sneeze at,

YET you’re still unhappy.

» » only four?
» » Is the cleaning woman included?
» » :frowning:
»
» Sweet Jesus!!! Follica is starting trials, they got another huge
» chunk of cash, they have a dream-team of “PART TIME” academics contributing
» to the research, and the caliber of people working at PureTech is nothing
» to sneeze at,
»
» YET you’re still unhappy.
»
»

:slight_smile:

» only four?

Have a read of this article,the staff aren’t exactly high school drop outs.

Here is a quote from a bald dude on Rassman’s blog.I haven’t bothered including Rassman’s response but have a read of the guys thoughts on Follica’s staff.

Are you familiar with Follica and their technology to generate completely new hair follicles on the scalp? This company seems to be headed by a who’s who in the field of hair loss….Dr. Vera Price, Dr. Rox Anderson, and Dr. Cotsarelis from Penn State University where this technology was first discovered. I see where they recently acquired 5.5M US from investors to conduct a clinical proof of concept study on 50 or so volunteers. Since everything they use to accomplish this is already FDA approved and/or already being done (microderm abrasion + application of special proteins), it seems like this could really be the “holy grail” to end baldness much sooner than expected (at least sooner than NEOSH101 or Intercytex).

Follica is our best hope to date.

» Follica Inc., a Boston company working on developing treatments for hair
» loss and other “hair follicle disorders,” raised $11 million in its second
» round of venture capital. Investors included Polaris Venture Partners,
» Interwest Partners, and PureTech Ventures. The company, which raised $5.5
» million in January, currently has four full-time employees. (Todd Wallack)
»
» http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2008/08/12/stop__shop_recalls_tuna_salad_over_listeria_fears/
»

if this is true, then this is huge news. very good news for us.

i believe not even intercytex was able to attract that size of investment all in one round.

if this is true, and follica really raised $11 million, then they must have demonstrated to someone that their procedure really has a hope of working.

now i’m excited people…

i used to be a skeptic about follica but now this seems much more promising than icx and aderans ever were…

and thanks for bringing us the news, rev. sorry for harshing on you in previous posts. i just disagreed with your treatment of some other posters, that’s all. it was nothing personal… you’re a good poster afterall and bring a lot of good news to this board.

One of the most promising things about the Follica treatment is people trying a similar thing at home are seeing some results, I know it’s still early days but i think science is heading in the right direction, Don’t forget Follica are also working on a treatment that will shut down the Follicle for people who suffer from excessive body hair, So they are obviously some of the leaders in their field when it comes to knowledge on the hair follicle.

» » Follica Inc., a Boston company working on developing treatments for hair
» » loss and other “hair follicle disorders,” raised $11 million in its
» second
» » round of venture capital. Investors included Polaris Venture Partners,
» » Interwest Partners, and PureTech Ventures. The company, which raised
» $5.5
» » million in January, currently has four full-time employees. (Todd
» Wallack)
» »
» »
» »
» »
»
»
»
» only four?

The number of people is irrelevant. It’s the combined intelligence and cooperation that matters. 200 stupid people doesn’t add up to 2 smart people. And it’s a fact that at some point, too many people will decrease productivity and ultimately blur the actual goal (not to mention, the draining of funds).

» One of the most promising things about the Follica treatment is people
» trying a similar thing at home are seeing some results, I know it’s still
» early days but i think science is heading in the right direction, Don’t
» forget Follica are also working on a treatment that will shut down the
» Follicle for people who suffer from excessive body hair, So they are
» obviously some of the leaders in their field when it comes to knowledge on
» the hair follicle.

I hope Follica are more people friendly than ICX.I hope they won’t be as secretive & illusive to questioning from the public as ICX are.Looking back, I really think that ICX adopted this policy so they could hide the fact that things weren’t going as planned.

Since
» everything they use to accomplish this is already FDA approved and/or
» already being done (microderm abrasion + application of special proteins),
» it seems like this could really be the “holy grail” to end baldness much
» sooner than expected (at least sooner than NEOSH101 or
» Intercytex).
»
» Follica is our best hope to date.

Unfortunately, organisations like the FDA always want their piece of the action. Those bastards will insist on trials so they can get their greedy, fat Gordon Brown-like fingers on some cash.
But I hope I’m wrong.