Follica picture

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.sciencefriday.com/news/051807/bald.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.sciencefriday.com/newsbriefs/read/117&h=356&w=400&sz=32&hl=en&start=100&um=1&tbnid=39Mw9JPaEZlsZM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=124&prev=/images%3Fq%3D%2Bhair%2Bfollicle%26start%3D90%26ndsp%3D18%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3DGGLR,GGLR:2006-16,GGLR:en%26sa%3DN

Interesting article and a good indroduction about what they are trying to do.

I posted this article a while back. I made mention of the audio interview with Dr Cotsarelis.

Old, and useless picture

Old, and useless picture
yeah, but the audio interview was pretty good.

The hairs “created” are WHITE---------------thus proving that they are CREATED BRAND NEW. They DID NOT EXIST before the treatment.

Dont you wish someone could MAKE BRAND NEW HAIRS in your balding area?

If the right genes can be interfered with during the process of making the hairs, and androgen’s kept low (dutasteride for a few days) the new hairs “made” might be like hairs on people who DONT HAVE MALE PATTERN BALDNESS. Have you ever thought of that Biston?

Benji and Rev, thanks for the article.

Do you think these new hairs will be DHT resistant?
I mean, will they be intrinsecally different than the surrounding hairs?

» Benji and Rev, thanks for the article.
»
» Do you think these new hairs will be DHT resistant?
» I mean, will they be intrinsecally different than the surrounding hairs?

If it makes hairs in actual people and not merely on human skin grafted onto a SCID mouse…they “hope” that it will “persist”, but really dont know. IF one has new hairs upfront though, it would give them a second chance to get on finasteride and keep them however.

Spanish Dude:
Benji and Rev, thanks for the article.

Do you think these new hairs will be DHT resistant?
I mean, will they be intrinsecally different than the surrounding hairs?

David Steinberg (one of Follica’s Principals) stated confidence in DHT resistance. He said the Follica treatment changes the microenvironment of the follicles in a distinct, but similar way to current hair transplants. He said they have seen numerous clinical reports of patients showing sustained hair cycling when exposed to conditions similar to the treatment Follica is pursuing.

Than again, even a DHT susceptible treatment would be good news for most. Steinberg mentioned that circulating levels of DHT actually drop over a man’s life, so hairloss would occur at a slower rate. I imagine a DHT susceptible treatment would be worth considerably less than something permanent, so repeat treatments could actually be affordable. From another standpoint, a DHT susceptible treatment would give most another chance to try a hairloss regime (what Benji said)… it would also give most a reprieve until someone develops something more permanent (it’s assuming allot, but I’m trying to stay positive about the whole ordeal).

» » Benji and Rev, thanks for the article.
» »
» » Do you think these new hairs will be DHT resistant?
» » I mean, will they be intrinsecally different than the surrounding
» hairs?
»
»
»
» If it makes hairs in actual people and not merely on human skin grafted
» onto a SCID mouse…they “hope” that it will “persist”,
» but really dont know. IF one has new hairs upfront though, it would give
» them a second chance to get on finasteride and keep them however.

Where is the problem if the hairs are not DHT resistent…? you can go to them and have the work once every 2 years…
At the moment someone know if the technique could be used more times?

lol. butchered scalp for 50 thousand every two years, and meanwhile slowly go bald again and again :slight_smile: no thanks.

Scientists whose income (wife, kids, mortgage and car leasing) depends on whether investors give or give not some money to them, will say anything.

This has been proven to be true with all the treatments that have been pursued so far. None, not a single one of them, stayed to the original promises and hopes.

Chances are that this will fail as well. Do not stall your life in just another false hope.

» lol. butchered scalp for 50 thousand every two years, and meanwhile slowly
» go bald again and again :slight_smile: no thanks.

Since the “butchered scalp” would be only superficial, personally I’ll do it. With DHT blockers etc. Could last longer than 2 years. Only real issues, if & when…

» David Steinberg (one of Follica’s Principals) stated confidence in DHT
» resistance. He said the Follica treatment changes the microenvironment of
» the follicles in a distinct, but similar way to current hair transplants.

this reminds me to the theories of Stephen Foote. He said that the problem of miniaturization is not on the follicle itself, but rather, in the surrounding tissue of the follicle. He said that originally, there is no difference between the follicles at the top of the scalp, and those in the back.

» Than again, even a DHT susceptible treatment would be good news for most.
» Steinberg mentioned that circulating levels of DHT actually drop over a
» man’s life, so hairloss would occur at a slower rate.

Are you sure Steinberg said that about DHT levels? Please verify it, because this is totally incorrect. DHT levels actually rise as you get older. The T levels do drop, but DHT levels rise.

» » Benji and Rev, thanks for the article.
» »
» » Do you think these new hairs will be DHT resistant?
» » I mean, will they be intrinsecally different than the surrounding
» hairs?
»
»
»
» If it makes hairs in actual people and not merely on human skin grafted
» onto a SCID mouse…they “hope” that it will “persist”,
» but really dont know. IF one has new hairs upfront though, it would give
» them a second chance to get on finasteride and keep them however.

yes, or, as you suggested before, follicles could be grown at the back of the head, or in your thigh, and then replant. (I prefer in the back of the head to ensure they are the same aspect)

» The hairs “created” are WHITE---------------thus proving that they are
» CREATED BRAND NEW. They DID NOT EXIST before the
» treatment.
»
»
»
» Dont you wish someone could MAKE BRAND NEW HAIRS
»
in your balding area?
»
»
»
» If the right genes can be interfered with during the process of making the
» hairs, and androgen’s kept low (dutasteride for a few days) the new hairs
» “made” might be like hairs on people who DONT HAVE MALE PATTERN BALDNESS.
» Have you ever thought of that Biston?

this is a nice dream, new hair up on a rat are USELESS for us, many failed research confirm that…

I hope follica will be a reality however

Spanish Dude:
Are you sure Steinberg said that about DHT levels? Please verify it, because this is totally incorrect. DHT levels actually rise as you get older. The T levels do drop, but DHT levels ris

this is exactly what he wrote:

David Steinberg 1/4/08 2:12 pm - xconomy.com
I am with the company. While we have not tested this in humans yet we fully expect that hair will persist. There are multiple reasons for this. First of all, consider hair transplants - while they have other flaws, the hair does indeed persist despite the presence of circulating DHT. In a distinct, but similar way, the Follica treatment changes the microenvironment of the follicles. Further, a single hair cycle lasts several years, and at the very least the new hair should last one full cycle (because of the underlying physiology of the condition). Also, circulating levels of DHT actually drop over a man’s life. We have seen numerous clinical reports of patients showing sustained hair cycling when exposed to conditions similar to the treatment Follica is pursuing (in a carefully directed and controlled way).

» Spanish Dude:
» Are you sure Steinberg said that about DHT levels? Please verify it,
» because this is totally incorrect. DHT levels actually rise as you get
» older. The T levels do drop, but DHT levels ris
»
» this is exactly what he wrote:
»
» David Steinberg 1/4/08 2:12 pm - xconomy.com
» I am with the company. While we have not tested this in humans yet we
» fully expect that hair will persist. There are multiple reasons for this.
» First of all, consider hair transplants - while they have other flaws, the
» hair does indeed persist despite the presence of circulating DHT. In a
» distinct, but similar way, the Follica treatment changes the
» microenvironment of the follicles. Further, a single hair cycle lasts
» several years, and at the very least the new hair should last one full
» cycle (because of the underlying physiology of the condition). Also,
» circulating levels of DHT actually drop over a man’s life. We have seen
» numerous clinical reports of patients showing sustained hair cycling when
» exposed to conditions similar to the treatment Follica is pursuing (in a
» carefully directed and controlled way).

Steinberg is totally wrong.
DHT increases with age.
If Steinberg really ment that… this would mean that he knows very little of the problem that he is supposedly trying to solve.