Flap surgery and ACELL?

Debate

» Debate

Debate what? Who in their right mind would get a flap surgery? As for Acell, there’s no proof it does anything, much less heal HT scars.

I just can’t believe we’ve managed to be bamboozled TWICE by this ridiculousness.

» Debate what? Who in their right mind would get a flap surgery? As for
» Acell, there’s no proof it does anything, much less heal HT scars.
»
» I just can’t believe we’ve managed to be bamboozled TWICE by this
» ridiculousness.

I see no evidence that Acell regrows hair or even helps HT wounds so far. But it all puzzles me. There seems to be plenty of support for the idea that Acell helps for skin wounding. But I’ll be damned if I can figure out what & when exactly it’s good for.

I’ve got a friend who got the tips of several fingers nipped off a few years ago in a lawnmower blade accident. He got top-notch hospital care for his hand immediately, but his fingertips sure didn’t come back anything like those Acell pics of fingertip regrowth. I’m sold that the powder can do SOMETHING good although I don’t know how it applies to us.

How much of his fingertips was cut off? Lee spievack got his fingertip cut off only marginally. No bone, no nerve, was cut off. Just skin.
Read my other post: “Acell are experts on growing news articles…Badscience.com”

copy

Professor Stephen Kaye, a consultant plastic and hand surgeon at Leeds University, poured cold water on Dr Badylak’s claims.

Asked if he was surprised that Mr Spievack’s finger “grew back” he said: “Not in the slightest.”

Prof Kaye added: “The pictures I’ve seen on the web show a wound I would have expected to heal and regenerate in any case.

The end of the finger is extremely good at regeneration. The pictures we’ve seen on the web show no evidence of loss of bone, nerve or tendon material, but regeneration and repair of skin – which is exactly what the fingertip does.”

He added that the photographs appeared to portray a “very commonplace transverse amputation of the very end of the fingertip” and not someone who had lost the last phalanx of his finger, as Dr Badylak claimed.

Prof Kaye said extra-cellular matrix was an acknowldged way of promoting wound healing, but pointed out that there was a “big difference” between healing and regeneration.

“I don’t want people to have false hopes,” he told the Radio 4’s The World Tonight news programme.
<<<<

» » Debate what? Who in their right mind would get a flap surgery? As for
» » Acell, there’s no proof it does anything, much less heal HT scars.
» »
» » I just can’t believe we’ve managed to be bamboozled TWICE by this
» » ridiculousness.
»
»
» I see no evidence that Acell regrows hair or even helps HT wounds so far.
» But it all puzzles me. There seems to be plenty of support for the idea
» that Acell helps for skin wounding. But I’ll be damned if I can figure out
» what & when exactly it’s good for.
»
»
» I’ve got a friend who got the tips of several fingers nipped off a few
» years ago in a lawnmower blade accident. He got top-notch hospital care
» for his hand immediately, but his fingertips sure didn’t come back anything
» like those Acell pics of fingertip regrowth. I’m sold that the powder can
» do SOMETHING good although I don’t know how it applies to us.

My friend got all four fingers on that hand cut to varying lengths. One lost most of the first bone but the pinky was just nipped a little on the end. The other two fingers were in between.

None of his fingers came back to the extent that the Acell case did. The Acell case in the press really was a very similar injury that got better results than my friend did.