Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

Ever been to a nursing home?

Yes these people are pretty damn old. But look at the men’s hair! It sure looks to me like most are Norwood 5/6/7, and have hairs that are the density and coarseness of a baby. I know we don’t want to think that far ahead, but really… your scars will show (strip only, I assume) and your transplanted hairs will thin like your donor. Ultimately, most strips will be obvious.

» Yes these people are pretty damn old. But look at the men’s hair! It sure
» looks to me like most are Norwood 5/6/7, and have hairs that are the
» density and coarseness of a baby. I know we don’t want to think that far
» ahead, but really… your scars will show (strip only, I assume) and your
» transplanted hairs will thin like your donor. Ultimately, most strips will
» be obvious.

I notice that too just by observing old people on the streets, which makes me worried because if my hair continues to fall out my strip scars will show, kind of regret getting a ht

I saw your post some time ago and it got me constantly staring @ old people’s head lately. Sometimes i wonder if guys on this board are hyping how many grafts we can really spare in our lifetime, take a look at this guy, he barely has enough for 200 grafts if you ask me, thank goodness he didn’t have hair transplant when he was young, can you imagine ??

Step back and think about this for a minute…

If you’re 80 years old, or older, that last thing on your mind should be is a HT scar…

At some point, hair loss becomes an obsession… know when to draw the line…

I think there’s an overwhelming belief that something will treat this problem better than conventional HTs long before we get that old.

(I did not say it will happen. I did not say that MPB will be 100% cured at some fixed time. I am only pointing out a commonly held belief.)

» Step back and think about this for a minute…
»
» If you’re 80 years old, or older, that last thing on your mind should be
» is a HT scar…
»
» At some point, hair loss becomes an obsession… know when to draw the
» line…

speak for yourself buddy, maybe u dont care but i know i will, it s called growing old with dignity, that i m 80 years old doesn’t mean that i want to look like a freak to my grand children

» Step back and think about this for a minute…
»
» If you’re 80 years old, or older, that last thing on your mind should be
» is a HT scar…
»
» At some point, hair loss becomes an obsession… know when to draw the
» line…

People don’t become norwood 7 the moment they turn 80. For those who are destined to be norwood 7, chances are that it happended very rapidly early on when they are in their 40s or 50s.

The only way to know how your hair will look like when you get old is if you have a relative that you believe shows the same pattern of baldness as you. Even then, things can be different for you.

One of my uncles(not blood related) had most of his hair until he was around 68. I mean no sign of losing a single hair. During his 70s he lost most of it. He still had some of his hairline (very thin) but a lot of his hair behind the hairline was lost.

So you never know.

» The only way to know how your hair will look like when you get old is if
» you have a relative that you believe shows the same pattern of baldness as
» you. Even then, things can be different for you.
»
» One of my uncles(not blood related) had most of his hair until he was
» around 68. I mean no sign of losing a single hair. During his 70s he lost
» most of it. He still had some of his hairline (very thin) but a lot of his
» hair behind the hairline was lost.
»
» So you never know.

I think , well at least for my case, Propecia and Rogain do a lot of good in slowing down hair loss. My brother and my father are all near bald, they don’t use any hair products, I use Propecia etc and still manage to retain most of my hair so far.

True damraak, for many, the meds will certainly slow down the hair loss.

Ironically, I can’t say the same as you. My dad and brother who have never been on anything have better hair than me. Naturally, we don’t have the same balding pattern.

For some people meds will slow or halt hairloss for some period of time. There is no long term data, but let me share a story with you. I met a guy at a hair transplant clinic who was taking Proscar (not for hairloss) in a clinical trial well before it was approved by the FDA. He was amazed and stunned by his hair regrowth for the first 5-7 years and said that he was a solid NW2! He was a Norwood 5 now and never stopped taking the drug. He literally swore that one day it just stopped working and he was as bald as his siblings within 2-3 years. Hormones change as we age and what works today will not necessarily always work. I’d guess that he was probably 65.

Most “normal hair” males experience a bit of hairline recession in our late teens and early 20s. Then most everyone male and female begins to lose pigment in some or all of our follicles and the hairs turn grey. Then finally, most everyone male and female alike experiences thinning and follicle miniaturization when they are 60+. I would predict that 75% of younger people getting hair transplants today will look very odd when they are 70+. By 80+ virtally every one will have visible scars (strip) and unnatural hair patches.

I genuinely believe that many of today’s success stories are tomorrow’s freaks. I was a transplant success story (minis and single hair) in my late 20’s and now in my early 40’s I am NW5/6 and I am forced to use a ton of Prothik to appear in public without a hat. If I could have had the foresight and maturity to just shave my head back then, I’d be sooo much happier today.

» For some people meds will slow or halt hairloss for some period of time.
» There is no long term data, but let me share a story with you. I met a guy
» at a hair transplant clinic who was taking Proscar (not for hairloss) in a
» clinical trial well before it was approved by the FDA. He was amazed and
» stunned by his hair regrowth for the first 5-7 years and said that he was a
» solid NW2! He was a Norwood 5 now and never stopped taking the drug. He
» literally swore that one day it just stopped working and he was as bald as
» his siblings within 2-3 years. Hormones change as we age and what works
» today will not necessarily always work. I’d guess that he was probably

I don’t care what the research says, the stories of Fin & Dut abruptly losing a lot of efficacy after 4-7 years are too common to ignore. Something is happening to a lot of Fin users in this timeframe whether we can currently explain it or not.

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that a lot of androgen-dependent tumors begin to “beat the system” again in about the same number of years after starting androgen-deprivation therapy.

» Most “normal hair” males experience a bit of hairline recession in our
» late teens and early 20s. Then most everyone male and female begins to
» lose pigment in some or all of our follicles and the hairs turn grey. Then
» finally, most everyone male and female alike experiences thinning and
» follicle miniaturization when they are 60+. I would predict that 75% of
» younger people getting hair transplants today will look very odd when they
» are 70+. By 80+ virtally every one will have visible scars (strip) and
» unnatural hair patches.
»
» I genuinely believe that many of today’s success stories are tomorrow’s
» freaks. I was a transplant success story (minis and single hair) in my
» late 20’s and now in my early 40’s I am NW5/6 and I am forced to use a ton
» of Prothik to appear in public without a hat. If I could have had the
» foresight and maturity to just shave my head back then, I’d be sooo much
» happier today.

The HT world is simply ignoring the problem of age-related thinning and hoping it will go away. Even the most respectable clinics seem to leave little or no margin for this issue with their younger patients.

I think that realistically there is just a “feeling in the air” that baldness will be treated better by the time these issues rear their heads for the young guys getting transplants today. I’m not necessarily defending this thinking, just pointing out that it permeates the HT world.

That is a very scary thought , both your comments about Propecia stops working entirely and how hair transplant success stories today becoming hair transplant freaks tomorrow.

» For some people meds will slow or halt hairloss for some period of time.
» There is no long term data, but let me share a story with you. I met a guy
» at a hair transplant clinic who was taking Proscar (not for hairloss) in a
» clinical trial well before it was approved by the FDA. He was amazed and
» stunned by his hair regrowth for the first 5-7 years and said that he was a
» solid NW2! He was a Norwood 5 now and never stopped taking the drug. He
» literally swore that one day it just stopped working and he was as bald as
» his siblings within 2-3 years. Hormones change as we age and what works
» today will not necessarily always work. I’d guess that he was probably
»
» Most “normal hair” males experience a bit of hairline recession in our
» late teens and early 20s. Then most everyone male and female begins to
» lose pigment in some or all of our follicles and the hairs turn grey. Then