Eugenol - an androgen receptor (AR) antagonist

According to the study cited below, Eugenol, as e.g. found in clove essential oil (~70% Eugenol) shows AR antagonistic activity and thus eventually could serve as an anti-hairloss agent. So… if someone is looking for “new toys” to use against our common enemy, well, why not try out this one? However, I have no idea on the appropriate dosage.

Effect of essential oils, such as raspberry ketone and its derivatives, on antiandrogenic activity based on in vitro reporter gene assay

Yoshihisa Ogawaa, Miki Akamatsub, Yudai Hottaa, Akifumi Hosodaa and Hiroto Tamuraa, ,
a Department of Environmental Bioscience, Meijo University, Nagoya 468-8502, Japan
b Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto 606-8502, Japan

Received 3 January 2010; revised 12 February 2010; accepted 16 February 2010. Available online 21 February 2010.

Abstract
The effect of essential oils, such as raspberry ketone, on androgen (AR) receptor was investigated using a MDA-kb2 human breast cancer cell line for predicting potential AR activity. Among them, eugenol had the highest AR antagonistic activity with its IC50 value of 19 µM. Raspberry ketone, which has threefold higher anti-obese activity than that of capsaicin, also had AR antagonist activity with its IC50 value of 252 µM. Based on these findings, a more precise CoMFA model was proposed as follows: pIC50 [log (1/IC50)] = 3.77 + [CoMFA field terms] (n = 39, s = 0.249, r2 = 0.834, scv = 0.507, q2 = 0.311 (three components).

» According to the study cited below, Eugenol, as e.g. found in clove
» essential oil (~70% Eugenol) shows AR antagonistic activity and thus

Thanks for the study.

I will pick up a bottle of clove oil and take a couple of drops daily just to see what it does.

» » According to the study cited below, Eugenol, as e.g. found in clove
» » essential oil (~70% Eugenol) shows AR antagonistic activity and thus
»
» Thanks for the study.
»
» I will pick up a bottle of clove oil and take a couple of drops daily just
» to see what it does.

Where do you get and how would you apply/use it?

TRPV3 could be targeted to create hair growth or hair removal agents

The TRPV3 channel is directly activated by various natural compounds like carvacrol, thymol and eugenol

anyone been using the oil???

Clove oil is full of eugenol.

Clove oil is used in toothache analgesics like Anbesol. I think it helps numb tissues.

That old Japanese study mentioned clove extract:

Activity of herbal extracts on the control of sebum secretion.Accession number;04A0230063
Title;Activity of herbal extracts on the control of sebum secretion.
Author;UCHIUMI YOICHIRO(Maruzen Pharm. Co., Ltd., JPN) YAMAMOTO SUSUMU(Maruzen Pharm. Co., Ltd., JPN) MIZUTANI KENJI(Maruzen Pharm. Co., Ltd., JPN)
Journal Title;Fragr J

Journal Code:G0987B

ISSN:0288-9803

VOL.32;NO.3;PAGE.53-57(2004)
Figure&Table&Reference;TBL.4, REF.13
Pub. Country;Japan
Language;Japanese
Abstract;Potential activity of herbal extracts on sebum secretion was studied. Among the herbal extracts tested, polyol-soluble licorice extract P-U (product name) derived from Glycyrrhiza inflata showed the most potent testosterone 5 .ALPHA.-reductase inhibition, androgen receptor binding inhibition and antimicrobial activities, which are closely related to sebum secretion. In addition to the findings on polyol-soluble licorice extract P-U, clove extract and peppermint extract showed testosterone 5 .ALPHA.-reductase inhibition, arnica extract and rose fruit extract showed androgen receptor binding inhibition, alpinia speciosa root extract and scutellaria root extract showed estrogen receptor agonists, and sophora root extract showed antimicrobial activity. (author abst.)

interesting stuff…i think rasbery ketones have been shown to help mice fur growth…lemme see…yup:

Effect of topical application of raspberry ketone on dermal production of insulin-like growth factor-I in mice and on hair growth and skin elasticity in humans

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Naoaki Haradaa, Kenji Okajimaa, , , Noriko Narimatsua, Hiroki Kuriharab and Naomi Nakagatac

aDepartment of Translational Medical Science Research, Nagoya City University Graduate School of Medical Sciences, Kawasumi 1, Mizuho-cho, Mizuho-ku, Nagoya 467-8601, Japan

bDepartment of Physiological Chemistry and Metabolism, University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan

cDivision of Reproductive Engineering, Center for Animal Resources and Development, Kumamoto University, Japan

Received 10 September 2007; revised 21 December 2007; accepted 12 January 2008. Available online 5 March 2008.

Abstract
Sensory neurons release calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) on activation. We recently reported that topical application of capsaicin increases facial skin elasticity and promotes hair growth by increasing dermal insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) production through activation of sensory neurons in mice and humans. Raspberry ketone (RK), a major aromatic compound contained in red raspberries (Rubus idaeus), has a structure similar to that of capsaicin. Thus, it is possible that RK activates sensory neurons, thereby increasing skin elasticity and promoting hair growth by increasing dermal IGF-I production. In the present study, we examined this possibility in mice and humans. RK, at concentrations higher than 1 μM, significantly increased CGRP release from dorsal root ganglion neurons (DRG) isolated from wild-type (WT) mice and this increase was completely reversed by capsazepine, an inhibitor of vanilloid receptor-1 activation. Topical application of 0.01% RK increased dermal IGF-I levels at 30 min after application in WT mice, but not in CGRP-knockout mice. Topical application of 0.01% RK increased immunohistochemical expression of IGF-I at dermal papillae in hair follicles and promoted hair re-growth in WT mice at 4 weeks after the application. When applied topically to the scalp and facial skin, 0.01% RK promoted hair growth in 50.0% of humans with alopecia (n = 10) at 5 months after application and increased cheek skin elasticity at 2 weeks after application in 5 females (p < 0.04). These observations strongly suggest that RK might increase dermal IGF-I production through sensory neuron activation, thereby promoting hair growth and increasing skin elasticity.

Keywords: Raspberry

ATM I use thyme (type thymol) and also lavender, so far with good results. I apply them both mixed with minoxidil for about 6 months now and they really made a difference in respect to daily hair loss (brought it down to virtually zero) and also spured some regrowth. Possibly I will try clove soon.
But I am not in a hurry bcause the other EOs work well. What I am really looking for is something to degrade (locally) the (number of) AR.
BTW I am a long term user of minoxidil and finasteride (~10 y).

if your looking for a new topical to try why not try this, read the thread, watch the videos:

http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/natural-hair-regrowth-f1/youtube-video-indian-plant-for-mpb-t3299.htm

dunno if its a hoax or not???

» if your looking for a new topical to try why not try this, read the thread,
» watch the videos:
»
» http://immortalhair.forumandco.com/natural-hair-regrowth-f1/youtube-video-indian-plant-for-mpb-t3299.htm
»
» dunno if its a hoax or not???

I havent seen the video.

The missing link in topicals seems to be agents that regenerate the damage caused in MPB.

Thanks
Pete

» The missing link in topicals seems to be agents that regenerate the damage
» caused in MPB.

On another forum(link above), someone found out the name of the plant this doctor is using. He used the milkly substance from that plant and rubbed it on the guy’s head. That milky fluid is a strong immunosuppressant and possibly a carcinogen.

» » The missing link in topicals seems to be agents that regenerate the
» damage
» » caused in MPB.
»
» On another forum(link above), someone found out the name of the plant this
» doctor is using. He used the milkly substance from that plant and rubbed it
» on the guy’s head. That milky fluid is a strong immunosuppressant and
» possibly a carcinogen.

exactly why it may grow hair!

remember the sonic hedghog drug that grew hair, i cant recall in how many days but growth was pretty fast, got shelved, was because it caused tumors or something??

and i doubt applying it for a few weeks will cause cancer in such a short period of time!

» remember the sonic hedghog drug that grew hair, i cant recall in how many
» days but growth was pretty fast, got shelved, was because it caused tumors
» or something??

Hi “gutted”, what is this “sonic hedgehog drug” that you are referring to? Do you have any names or anything else that would provide more information about it?

cheers

JJ

» Hi “gutted”, what is this “sonic hedgehog drug” that you are referring to?
» Do you have any names or anything else that would provide more information
» about it?

“Curis” was planning on using the sonic hedgehog pathway to treat hairloss but the mice studies showed cases of tumor growth so they abandoned the treatment.