Dutasteride - do we REALLY think it\'s safe?

I have been on Dutasteride since it first came out in December 2002 (from memory). I started at 0.5mg daily then tapered down to just 0.5mg on weekdays after about 3 years and I now take 0.5mg on Mon, Wed and Fri. No great results to speak of: has simply maintained what I had pretty well, no more, no less. I also use Minoxidil 5% once daily and have been for years.

My concern about Dutasteride is the long-term safety and I am now considering moving back to Finasteride (1.25mg per day) which is not only cheaper but a safer drug long-term in terms of what data we know of it anyway.

I am not saying Dutasteride isn’t safe, in fact the trials on rats showed very little effects. But I am concerned that we simply don’t know what the results will be in 20 years of long-term use and we are the “guinea pigs” right now.

Has anyone had any side-effects long-term of Dutasteride? I can’t say I have other than a flicky eyelid (which I have had for a while off and on) - but you never know.

» I have been on Dutasteride since it first came out in December 2002 (from
» memory). I started at 0.5mg daily then tapered down to just 0.5mg on
» weekdays after about 3 years and I now take 0.5mg on Mon, Wed and Fri. No
» great results to speak of: has simply maintained what I had pretty well,
» no more, no less. I also use Minoxidil 5% once daily and have been for
» years.
»
» My concern about Dutasteride is the long-term safety and I am now
» considering moving back to Finasteride (1.25mg per day) which is not only
» cheaper but a safer drug long-term in terms of what data we know of it
» anyway.
»
» I am not saying Dutasteride isn’t safe, in fact the trials on rats showed
» very little effects. But I am concerned that we simply don’t know what the
» results will be in 20 years of long-term use and we are the “guinea pigs”
» right now.
»
» Has anyone had any side-effects long-term of Dutasteride? I can’t say I
» have other than a flicky eyelid (which I have had for a while off and on)
» - but you never know.

Interesting post PDS,
I wanted to ask you, have you had bloodtest taken on a regular basis, has there been any damage to the liver so to speak. You know there are several variables to check how the liver has been doing or whether it has been able to metabolize the drug.
Havent you experienced a much less oily scalp and in general cleaner hair?
What is your degree of hairloss?
Thanks bro.