Dr. Yechiel-Elsom Research Topical maker invited to forum for Q\'s (Please Read)

Pete:

With all due respect, “Prox-N” is a “lite” version of Dr. Proctor’s flagship treatment called “Proxiphen”. “Proxiphen” refers to his prescription formulation that includes minoxidil (not the mimetic found in Prox-N), SOD’s phenytoin, spironolactone and various spin traps. I just wanted to make the distinction. True “Proxiphen” can only be purchased (through his office) with a prescription. I have tried both treatments in the past and Prox-N is not a good product, IMO. If you want the true bang-for-your-buck treatment, you should spend the extra money and get Proxiphen.

Dr. Y,

If I had a supplier send you RU58841 what are the chances you could encapsulate it?Would their be any legality issues there?

» Pete:
»
» With all due respect, “Prox-N” is a “lite” version of Dr. Proctor’s
» flagship treatment called “Proxiphen”. “Proxiphen” refers to his
» prescription formulation that includes minoxidil (not the mimetic found in
» Prox-N), SOD’s phenytoin, spironolactone and various spin traps. I just
» wanted to make the distinction. True “Proxiphen” can only be purchased
» (through his office) with a prescription. I have tried both treatments in
» the past and Prox-N is not a good product, IMO. If you want the true
» bang-for-your-buck treatment, you should spend the extra money and get
» Proxiphen.

Ok.

How did you get on with the prescription version?

Regards
Pete

Pete:

Prescription Proxiphen worked fantastically for me. I then decided to go all out and get a transplant and stopped the Proxiphen. Once my grafted hair regrew, I tried Proxiphen again and did not get the same results. In hindsight, I should have stuck to the Prox and skipped the transplants.

» As for the 1959 Orentreich paper, he actually makes a clear distinction
» between donor/acceptor tissue and follicles. He claims that donor dominance
» is reflected in the “tissue” and he states the necessity for the tissue to
» be at full thickness for a viable transplant.

I don’t believe he ever states explicitly that full thickness is a “necessity” for a viable transplant. For the benefit of the other readers, here’s a direct quote from the study: “For alopecia prematura [the old-fashioned name for androgenetic alopecia] these studies would seem to indicate that the determinants of growth of strong scalp hair or of baldness lie within the local skin tissues of a full-thickness graft and suggest that the pathogenesis of common male baldness is inherent in each individual hair follicle. Probably each individual hair follicle is genetically predisposed to respond or not to respond to androgenic and/or other influences that inhibit its growth.”

» As for the follicles
» themselves, he states that the article “suggests” that MPB should be
» attributed to the follicles themselves. In fact, the most you can derive
» from this article is that it does not contradict the possibility that
» follicles may be preset for MPB, but the article by no means suggests that.

When looked at in the light of the other evidence like Nordstrom’s study and the fact that “follicular unit” transplantation is now so popular, I think it all pretty much proves conclusively that individual hair follicles ARE “preset” for balding. Furthermore, without making the assumption that hair follicles are individually “programmed” to respond to androgens in the way they do, it would be difficult to explain the in vitro experiments which have clearly shown such differences.

» Dr. Orentreich (still active as of 2008) is quite a remarkable guy and is
» also heavily involved with Clinique. His son is also involved with Clinique
» as their guiding dermatologist and their concepts about hair growth appear
» to be affecting much of the concepts involved in formulation and
» commercialization of hair and scalp products. In my opinion his 2003
» article is important because it appears to contradict some of the
» conclusions in his 1959 article and some important concepts about hairloss
» which he advocated for a long time.

It’s a far cry from simply transplanting hair follicles to a different location on the same person’s body, to transplanting them to a severely immune-deficient mouse! :slight_smile:

» When you say that you can’t believe that the surrounding skin tissue in
» large grafts really has anything to do with balding, I take it that you
» don’t mean it in the extreme that the surrounding tissue is completely
» irrelevant to hair growth, but rather as an expression which carries little
» weight for the role of the surrounding tissue.

This has been a major source of misunderstanding in the past, so I want to be absolutely sure that you understand my position: I’m not saying that the surrounding tissue has no influence at all on hair growth, because the recent Korean studies have clearly shown that it can influence the length of hair growing from transplanted hair follicles. What I’m saying is very very specific to ANDROGENETIC ALOPECIA: that specific medical condition isn’t affected by the surrounding tissue. Hair follicles clearly display donor dominance for androgenetic alopecia, but not necessarily other alopecias or other medical conditions.

» So, the question is to what
» degree the surrounding tissue is relevant or irrelevant. I believe that the
» degree of relevancy of the surrounding tissue is critical and I believe
» that it is clearly illustrated in the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich article where
» human hairs were individually transplanted into mouse skin. High relevancy
» of the surrounding tissue is actually backed up by resolving the apparent
» contradiction between the Nordstrom article (based on your summary of it)
» and the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich, which I will discuss below.

I don’t see any contradiction between those two articles.

» If the second article you mentioned - the 1979 Nordstrom article - is as
» you summarized, that follicles from a bald area which were planted in the
» arm of the same person (no concern about rejection) remain bald and on the
» other hand in the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich the individual follicles
» (individually trimmed from already tiny-2mm scalp sections) succeeded to
» grow and to develop into nice terminal hair in the skin of a mouse which is
» very different from the follicle’s origin (human scalp), I would say that
» it strongly indicates that there is a fundamental difference between large
» skin grafts and individual follicles.

So how do you explain the success AND donor dominance of modern transplanted “follicular units”? :slight_smile:

» We can also look within the
» surrounding tissue for reasons of better or worse hair growth and assume
» for most cases that the follicles themselves are recoverable. The
» difference between the results in the 2 articles is in the environment or
» immediate tissue which surrounds the follicle. You are right that normal
» follicles in that experiment expressed thinner than usual hairs but the
» miniaturized follicles actually expressed larger and well-developed
» terminal hairs as compared to their performance on the original human
» scalp. The other interesting issue is that both normal and miniaturized
» follicles grew hair of similar thickness and length. The miniaturized
» follicles recovered to the same level as the normal follicles retreated. So
» why don’t they grow like perfect hair on a perfect scalp? Since mouse skin
» may not be the ideal environment for growing human hair the normal
» follicles did not perform as well as they did in the more ideal human
» scalp, while the mouse skin was still more accommodating to the
» miniaturized follicles than their original human scalp. As mentioned above,
» environment determines how much of the genetic potential will be realized.
» In an experiment where normal follicles were grown in culture, they
» developed for about 11-17 days before they stopped. So, mouse skin is more
» supportive of human hair follicles than tissue culture, and maybe if a
» similar experiment can be done on pig skin (which is very similar to human
» skin) or on human skin, the environmental support conditions might be even
» better. If several different animals or other systems which support normal
» follicle growth will also support miniaturized follicle recovery to the
» extent of normal follicles, but will differ in the final results from each
» other (each animal model or system will allow different hair length,
» thickness, etc., but will not discriminate between individual follicles,
» normal or miniaturized), it will settle the follicle recovery issue and
» will allow acceptor models for viable transplant which can be further
» tested for effects of different chemical on various growth parameters.
» However, one thing is clear from the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich article:
» miniaturized follicles recovered to the extend that they started to grow
» normal hairs (indeed, under less than perfect conditions, but growing
» nevertheless, which means that they are recoverable).

Well, I still feel that the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich study needs to be duplicated by other researchers. Furthermore, there still remains the issue of exactly WHY they got the results that they did. The lack of a functioning immune system in the animals may well have something to do with that, and we can’t just assume that something in the “surrounding tissue” was what did it.

» In my previous response I posed the question of whether drugs which are
» meant to attenuate the immune system (like after kidney transplant) grow
» hair. Well, indeed they do and I was hoping for such comments.
» Cyclosporine, an immune suppressor is known for its nasty side-effects on
» kidneys and liver. In some individuals it causes hair growth all over the
» body and the scalp (hirsutism) for a certain time period.

There’s an interesting case history reported in a medical journal of a man who had been receiving significant amounts of cyclosporine for a long time for an unrelated medical condition. He had developed very significant hirsutism over his body, but it did NOT alter the course of his androgenetic alopecia in any way. He still continued to go bald. The authors seemed to think that such immune suppression has no effect on common male balding. If you haven’t read that case history, I can provide you with the full citation.

» However, it grows
» hair also on nude mice which have defective immune systems, which indicates
» that the hair growth mechanism is not due to the suppression of the immune
» system but via another molecular mechanism which is actually under advanced
» study. It is not to say that the immune system is irrelevant to hairloss,
» quite the contrary. It is to say that the term “immune system” is too large
» for this purpose. Inflammation can contribute to scalp scarring and related
» hairloss. There may be other relevant immunodeficiencies but a direct
» connection between the immune system and hairloss is still to be
» demonstrated.

Yes. Dr. Proctor stated several years ago on alt.baldspot that cyclosporine’s (alleged) favorable effect on balding probably has nothing to do with its effect on the immune system. Of course, that also makes interpreting the immune-deficient mouse study even more problematical! :slight_smile:

Hi Dr. Yechiel

i 've started using rogaine foam several months ago.
now as everyone knows ,its a drug that has been used to treat high blood pressure by widening the veins and thereby increasing the blood flow.
i talked to few doctors and they said that this can be dangerous for the body, is that sth serious to consider?
i did these inquiries after i had severe headaches in the past week and they would come about an hour after i apply the topical?
do u have any suggestions on how to monitor if it is affecting me in a bad way, what should be checked?

thank you

Dr Yechiel wrote:

“When you say that you can’t believe that the surrounding skin tissue in large grafts really has anything to do with balding, I take it that you don’t mean it in the extreme that the surrounding tissue is completely irrelevant to hair growth, but rather as an expression which carries little weight for the role of the surrounding tissue. So, the question is to what degree the surrounding tissue is relevant or irrelevant. I believe that the degree of relevancy of the surrounding tissue is critical and I believe that it is clearly illustrated in the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich article where human hairs were individually transplanted into mouse skin. High relevancy of the surrounding tissue is actually backed up by resolving the apparent contradiction between the Nordstrom article (based on your summary of it) and the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich, which I will discuss below.”

I agree with your arguments here Doctor, and at last it seems more professional scientists are realising the holes in the old donor dominance idea.

We just don’t have much in the way of transplantation research that expands on the effects of the surrounding tissue.

I have argued what i consider to be “the” primary effect of surrounding tissue in follicle size. The basic argument can be read here:

http://www.hairsite2.com/library/abst-167.htm

This is not a formal paper as such, just my engineers viewpoint. In my opinion the mechanism proposed explains the observations in MPB, and the transplantation results.

Basicaly i think hair follicles evolved as a “pocket” within the surface tissue, to allow some control of follicle size through the resistence of surrounding tissue to follicle growth through normal contact inhibition. I describe this in the link above.

What i think happens in transplantation, and the reason why smaller grafts are now the norm is this. The healing around the graft creates a fibrotic structure around the follicles. This tends to “lock” the follicle size in the as transplanted state, as the fibrosis protects the follicle from the pressure influences around it. In future anagen enlargements the size of this protective “shell” determines follicle size.

This would appear as a “donor dominance” as large follicles would remain large and small ones small.

It is now recognised that the old large plug grafts lose hair in a pattern called “doughnutting”. This just leaves hair around the edges where the healing proccess hapened. If you read all the available info, the reason given by some for this as hypoxia doesn’t hold up.

I think what is happening in the immune deprived mouse study is that this condition prevents the normal formation of a fibrose “shell” around the follicles so allowing the expansion of former MPB follicles if the tissue pressure allows this.

One day we may get more specific testing from professionals to better answer these transplantation questions.

Regards.

S Foote.

Hey Stephen! Are you still reading HLT? I’ve recently stumbled upon some additional evidence squelching your eccentric theory of balding, but I haven’t bothered to post about it because I haven’t seen you around for a long time. I decided you must have finally learned your lesson, and given up your futile pursuit! :wink:

But if you’re still reading HLT, I’ll go ahead and post about it over there. Should I do it? :slight_smile:

» Pete:
»
» Prescription Proxiphen worked fantastically for me. I then decided to go
» all out and get a transplant and stopped the Proxiphen. Once my grafted
» hair regrew, I tried Proxiphen again and did not get the same results. In
» hindsight, I should have stuck to the Prox and skipped the transplants.

JT

Have come across any new topicals recently that you are using or thinking of using?

Regards
Pete

» Hey Stephen! Are you still reading HLT? I’ve recently stumbled upon some
» additional evidence squelching your eccentric theory of balding, but I
» haven’t bothered to post about it because I haven’t seen you around for a
» long time. I decided you must have finally learned your lesson, and given
» up your futile pursuit! :wink:
»
» But if you’re still reading HLT, I’ll go ahead and post about it over
» there. Should I do it? :slight_smile:

And this is what Bryan is in these forums for :ok:

Hello, moximus,

Technically we should not have any problem encapsulating such a molecule in a suitable vehicle. I looked into the issues you raised and I will be better equipped to answer it if you can ask your supplier to contact me via our email for a few questions I have for him. If you put too much hope in this molecule you may be disappointed. The company which handled it has become silent on the molecule. Either they did not or could not follow the expensive procedure for product development, or were short of patent time for returning the expenses, or did not see a remarkable effect as they began the testing, or any other reason. So, its good to hope but don’t get too hopeful about it.

Thank you.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
email: innovation@elsomresearch.com
voice: 210.493.5225
paper mail: 4510 Black Hickory Woods, San Antonio, TX, USA, 78249
online:
http://www.elsomresearch.com/ — to learn about nanotechnologies in skincare
http://www.new-equilibrium-skincare.com/cosmeceuticals/ — to order retail products
http://www.the-formulator.com/ — to order personalized products
http://www.topical-formulations.com/ — to read the Journal

Hello, quarterhead,

I tend to agree with the possibility that very tiny amounts of the drug minoxidil may be absorbed systemically. After all, it is a drug. The question is how such minute quantities can produce a noticeable systemic effect. The answer is that when minoxidil was originally made as pills to be swallowed for the treatment of blood pressure and before it become a treatment for hairloss, quantities as small as 5mg or less were sufficient to affect the entire body. Some patients had to take higher doses but there is a normal variance between different people. In comparison, application of about 50mg - 250mg on the scalp may be needed to have a noticeable effect on hairloss. This shows you how different are topical versus oral treatments or how the same molecule may be required in different quantities to treat different problems. If we assume that only 0.5mg absorb systemically and since the rate of clearance of minoxidil from the body is about 3-4 days, a significant amount of several milligrams of minoxidil may build up in the body after even one week of use. The minoxidil level will become steady after a while but may maintain 1-3 mg minoxidil in the blood stream which can be sufficient to produce a systemic effect of lowering the blood pressure. If you are a good responder to minoxidil, consult your physician about the possibility of using a product with a lower percentage of minoxidil (like minoxidil for women). If you are not a good responder to minoxidil, ask your physician about other options.

Thank you.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:
http://www.new-equilibrium-skincare.com/cosmeceuticals/ — to order retail products

Hey Pete:

I just started NanoScalp last week and am using up the sample vial of ScalpXtreme that came with my purchase. I am also using the Micellarin Green shampoo. How 'bout you?

» Hey Pete:
»
» I just started NanoScalp last week and am using up the sample vial of
» ScalpXtreme that came with my purchase. I am also using the Micellarin
» Green shampoo. How 'bout you?

Hey JT

Can you post the ingredients of those topicals? How are you finding the topicals /shampoo?

Ive just restarted Calosol spray but I would like to use another shampoo and topical alongside it - im intersted in the Elsom stuff, I just need to look at the ingredeint list to see which one would be a logical choice for me.
The modes of action that Im intersted in arent anti androgenic they are immune response related. So anything that includes botanicals that improve cellular antioxidants ie SOD levels, bloodflow, inflammation.

Regards
Pete

» Dr Yechiel wrote:
»
»
» “When you say that you can’t believe that the surrounding skin tissue in
» large grafts really has anything to do with balding, I take it that you
» don’t mean it in the extreme that the surrounding tissue is completely
» irrelevant to hair growth, but rather as an expression which carries little
» weight for the role of the surrounding tissue. So, the question is to what
» degree the surrounding tissue is relevant or irrelevant. I believe that the
» degree of relevancy of the surrounding tissue is critical and I believe
» that it is clearly illustrated in the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich article where
» human hairs were individually transplanted into mouse skin. High relevancy
» of the surrounding tissue is actually backed up by resolving the apparent
» contradiction between the Nordstrom article (based on your summary of it)
» and the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich, which I will discuss below.”
»
»
» I agree with your arguments here Doctor, and at last it seems more
» professional scientists are realising the holes in the old donor dominance
» idea.
»
» We just don’t have much in the way of transplantation research that
» expands on the effects of the surrounding tissue.
»
» I have argued what i consider to be “the” primary effect of surrounding
» tissue in follicle size. The basic argument can be read here:
»
» http://www.hairsite2.com/library/abst-167.htm
»
» This is not a formal paper as such, just my engineers viewpoint. In my
» opinion the mechanism proposed explains the observations in MPB, and the
» transplantation results.
»
» Basicaly i think hair follicles evolved as a “pocket” within the surface
» tissue, to allow some control of follicle size through the resistence of
» surrounding tissue to follicle growth through normal contact inhibition. I
» describe this in the link above.
»
» What i think happens in transplantation, and the reason why smaller grafts
» are now the norm is this. The healing around the graft creates a fibrotic
» structure around the follicles. This tends to “lock” the follicle size in
» the as transplanted state, as the fibrosis protects the follicle from the
» pressure influences around it. In future anagen enlargements the size of
» this protective “shell” determines follicle size.
»
» This would appear as a “donor dominance” as large follicles would remain
» large and small ones small.
»
» It is now recognised that the old large plug grafts lose hair in a pattern
» called “doughnutting”. This just leaves hair around the edges where the
» healing proccess hapened. If you read all the available info, the reason
» given by some for this as hypoxia doesn’t hold up.
»
» I think what is happening in the immune deprived mouse study is that this
» condition prevents the normal formation of a fibrose “shell” around the
» follicles so allowing the expansion of former MPB follicles if the tissue
» pressure allows this.
»
»
» One day we may get more specific testing from professionals to better
» answer these transplantation questions.
»
» Regards.
»
» S Foote.

Hey

Are you having any success putting your theory into practice ie regrowing hair via some method, if so what is it?

Regards
Pete

» The important question
» is of course, does it work? I don’t know the answer though
» there may be some answers if the product has been out on the market
» for some time as you said. I also hate to guess on something that can
» already be verified by factual data but I believe that if it indeed works
» it will address population similar to the minoxidil responders: if
» minoxidil works well for someone, so probably will this product.

I think that’s quite an oversimplification! Dr. Proctor seems to think that minoxidil is one of the LEAST important ingredients in Proxiphen, and has stated that patients have responded to Proxiphen who didn’t respond to either Rogaine or Propecia. I believe he thinks that the most effective current ingredients in Proxiphen are the spin-labels and spin-traps like TEMPO/TEMPOL and PBN. I think he has a little minoxidil in there at all mainly just for marketing purposes, for those people who think that minoxidil is a big deal! :slight_smile:

Thank you Dr. Yechiel for the previous response

As i mentioned before, i got suspicious of the side effects of rogaine because i had headaches the last 3 times i used it which was few days ago.
i went to my M.D and he did the regular check of blood pressure . and the truth is that my blood pressure has went up to 120-84 , it was always 120-70. so i stopped rogaine for several days and then went again and my blood pressure got even higher 130-80.
has this anything to do with rogaine?
if its affecting me isn’t it supposed to lower my blood pressure?
and regardless if people respond differently to it, isn’t just taking a medicine for lowering blood pressure ( when your not suffering from that problem) a bad and dangerous thing to the body?

Another thing, why do all these M.D’s seem to be ignorant and careless about our caution regarding hair products, when you inquire about a problem from certain hair drug , they either tell you stop using it, or they don’t think so , that it’s a problem?

Hello Bryan,

I will comment on your posting piece by piece.

» I don’t believe he ever states explicitly that full thickness is a
» “necessity” for a viable transplant. For the benefit of the other readers,
» here’s a direct quote from the study: “For alopecia prematura [the
» old-fashioned name for androgenetic alopecia] these studies would seem to
» indicate that the determinants of growth of strong scalp hair or of
» baldness lie within the local skin tissues of a full-thickness graft and
» suggest that the pathogenesis of common male baldness is inherent in each
» individual hair follicle. Probably each individual hair follicle is
» genetically predisposed to respond or not to respond to androgenic and/or
» other influences that inhibit its growth.”

What is your objection here: that I used the word “necessary” to describe a dependency link in the experiment, or that you don’t believe that the necessity of full-thickness grafts is implied in this article?

“Necessary” is the correct way to identify this key component of the experiment which is a dependency link between full thickness grafts and growth of strong scalp hair.

The experiment described in the 1959 Orentreich article was conducted using full-thickness skin grafts. I did not quote him. When I quote text I use quotation marks, just as you do. I rather explained in my own language what Orentriech did and I have tried to evaluate the experiments and summarize and emphasize what I considered important in the study, as his scientific statement in my own words. In the section you quoted from the article there is a clear dependency link between growth of strong scalp hair and full- thickness grafts: ”growth of strong scalp hair or of baldness lie within the local skin tissues of a full-thickness graft”. This means that, for the purpose of this experiment, a full thickness graft was understood as a requirement for the growth of strong scalp hair; this is why it is mentioned repeatedly in the article (read also the Methods section where “full thickness circular incisions were made”). The article is about an experiment with full-thickness grafts and it would not have been done that way if the experimenters have not considered that significant to the success of the experiment. You would be right to say, whatever this article says, that full skin grafts have been shown not to be necessary for a successful implant; that is also what I say, and indeed successful individual follicle transplants prove that. However, Orentrieich’s opinion about the importance of full-thickness grafts was expressed quite explicitly in this 1959 article; indeed in time some statements in the article have been proven somewhat erroneous or at least in need of additional evaluation, but that doesn’t alter the fact of their inclusion in the article.

This study was carried out using full skin grafts and, in any experiment, what is done rules. This means that how the experiment is conducted is more important than how it is phrased in being written up and even how readers interpret it. After an experiment is conducted it is no longer in the experimenters’ domain nor under the authority of the experimenters, and every one else’s understanding of the results is as legitimate as that of the experimenters. It is however, in respect to the experimenters that what they say about their own work is discussed and emphasized. In my opinion this experiment with its use of full size skin grafts never gave any chance for the “recipients’ dominance” theory to even be tested. Full-size skin grafts eliminated much of what the recipient skin could offer for the recovery process, so it was reduced to performing mainly as a blood supply template for an implanted skin section. They only tested donors’ dominance over different blood supply templates. Only the more recent 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich work gave a chance to test recipient dominance and strongly confirmed that it is a valid concept.

My statement about the authors’ distinction between “follicles” and “skin” in the article is also not a quote but in the quotation you brought up you can see that he stated ”growth of strong scalp hair or of baldness lie within the local skin tissues of a full-thickness graft” where he links between growth of strong hairs and the scalp tissue as a whole, versus ”pathogenesis of common male baldness is inherent in each individual hair follicle” where he attributes the bad things specifically to the follicle rather than to the entire tissue, and so he makes a clear distinction between the general scalp tissue (of full thickness) and the follicle itself. I also stated that his assumption that the bad things are in the follicle are not actually suggested by this study and that the most that can be said is that the experiment does not rule this option out.

» When looked at in the light of the other evidence like Nordstrom’s study
» and the fact that “follicular unit” transplantation is now so popular, I
» think it all pretty much proves conclusively that individual hair follicles
» ARE “preset” for balding. Furthermore, without making the assumption that
» hair follicles are individually “programmed” to respond to androgens in the
» way they do, it would be difficult to explain the in vitro
» experiments which have clearly shown such differences.

Are people with high genetic susceptibility to develop cancer from cigarette smoking or people who react severely when they are in contact with peanuts are preset to die young? Well, it depends. If they can avoid cigarette smoking or peanuts respectively, they can live to a very old age. People are different from each other in some details but most people have a similar life-span range (with some exceptions) which becomes more clear if compared to the life span of rats which is 2-3 years. The range within a species also varies but I will not get into the aging issues right now, just to mention it as worthy of consideration in the context of follicles. Follicles are also different from each other, even in the same individual. They have differences in their respective genetic setup, but does it make them preset to shrink and than die when the person is about 25-35 years old? Well, that depends on whether they can avoid certain environmental stress within their immediate environment which is deadly or constricting to them and instead get good nutrients that can sustain them and accommodating space to develop. The bio-environmental aspect is a bit complex. There is a grey area where genetic and environmental factors are intermingled. Cells which have their own genetic limitations (preset) can act as an environmental setting for other cells in their vicinity. For example: cells which create a dense network of fibers may cause mechanical and even chemical suffocation to cells or tiny organs within their vicinity. Bio-environmental studies have not developed to that point of understanding yet, but what is important about any new theory is not only that it is a new, but does it have a new practical value? Can new solutions be sought on this new ground? In other words, can it be applied as a new working model? The 1959 Orentreich article, with its donor-dominance approach and with the author’s own dominance in the early development of the field of hair loss, contributed much to further studies of hairloss on one hand but on the other hand also stalled potential studies which could have be done long ago regarding the recipient’s role in hairloss; having one view so strongly established meant that much other valuable data and understanding about hairloss did not come through. It is therefore very important before a new working theory takes off to ensure that the benefits of focused research will not be over-shadowed by ignoring other aspects which may hold the key for a true breakthrough. When a working theory is established it becomes a “mainstream” endeavor, with the usual money flow and the comfortable aura of respectability which surrounds scientists who undertake significant studies in the mainstream of research. It discourages many scientists who think otherwise to try and explore their own theories because research is very expensive and they may be labeled as “eccentric” or “lunatic fringe” scientists and most people are not comfortable with such titles. It may be an unavoidable circular trend but it should be minimized when possible

» It’s a far cry from simply transplanting hair follicles to a different
» location on the same person’s body, to transplanting them to a severely
» immune-deficient mouse! :slight_smile:

It is much more amazing that the hair grows in the mice, which are alien to the donor, than it would be if they grew in another skin area of the donor himself. One possible reason that they did not grow in the same donor skin is the use of large transplant grafts. There may be other problems which can be related to less than adequate recovery-support conditions in the recipient skin area but, as I said before, many experiments which were done may yield different results when repeated with individual follicles instead of large grafts.

» This has been a major source of misunderstanding in the past, so I want to
» be absolutely sure that you understand my position: I’m not saying that
» the surrounding tissue has no influence at all on hair growth, because the
» recent Korean studies have clearly shown that it can influence the length
» of hair growing from transplanted hair follicles. What I’m saying is very
» very specific to ANDROGENETIC ALOPECIA: that specific medical condition
» isn’t affected by the surrounding tissue. Hair follicles clearly display
» donor dominance for androgenetic alopecia, but not necessarily other
» alopecias or other medical conditions.

I already commented on this before but I will just add that differences in sensitivity to androgens (assuming that this is even the real picture) within different follicles are not the same as a preset clock for the demise of that follicle. That is also why I have difficulty with the term “apoptosis” because if there are anti-apoptotic avenues that it is not true apoptosis. The concentration of androgens and other factors can be seen as environmental to the follicle. The demise of the follicle is not preset by some genetic vulnerability alone.

» I don’t see any contradiction between those two articles.

I said “apparent contradiction”: this is a rhetorical device, customarily resolved by clarifying how independently-developed ideas support each other in un-obvious ways. I did resolve it by explaining why, in two systems (same person or immune-deficient mice) with no immune issues in either of them and where same-person implants seem more likely to succeed, they failed while the implants into the mice succeeded. The human implants into human skin were large grafts and failed. The human implants into mice skin were individual follicles and succeeded. In combination, they show that grafts can fail under non-hostile circumstances and follicles can succeed under non-supportive circumstances.

» So how do you explain the success AND donor dominance of modern
» transplanted “follicular units”? :slight_smile:

Give me a specific example with a reference so that I can better understand your question.

» Well, I still feel that the 2003 Krajcik-Orentreich study needs to be
» duplicated by other researchers. Furthermore, there still remains the
» issue of exactly WHY they got the results that they did. The lack of a
» functioning immune system in the animals may well have something to do with
» that, and we can’t just assume that something in the “surrounding tissue”
» was what did it.

I have no problem with that but people don’t routinely duplicate published work; it is assumed that scientific work is duplicated and/or triplicated before it is published. In order to give a new study an incentive, it should cover something new that was not done in the original study or was incomplete in the original study. I would suggest doing the same study comparing individual follicle implants versus larger grafts in nude mice. I would add another twist to that by suggesting that the experiment also be conducted on athymic nude mice in which wound healing is reported to produce skin with very different physical strength and elasticity. This can also evaluate the role of physical tensile forces on the well-being of the follicle.
» » In my previous response I posed the question of whether drugs which are
» » meant to attenuate the immune system (like after kidney transplant)
» grow

» There’s an interesting case history reported in a medical journal of a man
» who had been receiving significant amounts of cyclosporine for a long time
» for an unrelated medical condition. He had developed very significant
» hirsutism over his body, but it did NOT alter the course of his
» androgenetic alopecia in any way. He still continued to go bald. The
» authors seemed to think that such immune suppression has no effect on
» common male balding. If you haven’t read that case history, I can provide
» you with the full citation.

Only a certain percentage of people develop this problem and for many it disappears after some time. There is a lot of cumulative knowledge about this and it has been a relatively busy area of research for quite a while.

» Yes. Dr. Proctor stated several years ago on alt.baldspot that
» cyclosporine’s (alleged) favorable effect on balding probably has nothing
» to do with its effect on the immune system. Of course, that also makes
» interpreting the immune-deficient mouse study even more problematical! :slight_smile:

More power to him.

Thank you.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:

Hello Bryan,

I responded to a question by a poster, Pete2, about a product for which he provided a link. The product in that link did not include minoxidil in the ingredients list. I am not sure what it is that you are referring to. If the product I referred to also helps people who did not respond to either rogaine or propecia, it is very good to hear. As I stated, there is no need to guess about a product which has been on the market for some time. Please clarify about the minoxidil.

Thank you.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online:

Hello quarterhead,

Can I ask how old you are? You also said that when you stopped using the topical your blood pressure went up by about 10 points, did I understand you correctly?

As to medicine it is always about “give and take”. There are no perfect medicines. You always have to consider whether your gain is important enough to justify your loss.

Thank you.

Elishalom Yechiel, Ph.D.
President
Elsom Research Co., Inc.
online: