Dr. Umar 10 month update

After several procedure with Dr. Umar the last being 1-09 I have these picture to report.

In 1-09 during my last visit to Dr. Umar it was initially planned to improve upon the crown and top areas. When I arrived, however, Dr. Umar and I both discovered that the middle section of my hairline had worsened since my last visit around 9 months prior to 1-09.

As a result Dr. Umar was kind enough to give me a start in the hairline area to help give it a little more definition. I only received about 500 or so grafts in that area so I will need further work in that to improve upon it and give it more definition, and to also fill in the area behind the harline in the front center to add more density.

The hairline area consisted of nape hair and the crown and top area consisted of about 3000 or so beard hair grafts.

If I decide to do more work I am going with all scalp hair.

»
» If I decide to do more work I am going with all scalp hair.
»

Are you not happy with the results from the beard hair??

» »
» » If I decide to do more work I am going with all scalp hair.
» »
»
» Are you not happy with the results from the beard hair?

The beard hair seemed to do well considering I could never, I’m my opinion, grow a very thick beard, but since I have more scalp hair available I will go with that next time.

Additonally, as long as I have more scalp hair available, I would rather not go through the additional trauma of having another area other than my head operated on.

I couldn’t tell which ones are before pics

» I couldn’t tell which ones are before pics

Why can’t you?

» » I couldn’t tell which ones are before pics
»
»
» Why can’t you?

I can see why he couldn’t tell because they all look the same, can you at least put a label for your pics?

» » » I couldn’t tell which ones are before pics
» »
» »
» » Why can’t you?
»
» I can see why he couldn’t tell because they all look the same, can you at
» least put a label for your pics?

The first 2 photos are BEFORE crown area.

The 3rd and 4th pictures are BEFORE hairline work (but as explained in OP only around 500 grafts)

The 5th and 8th photo is after several crown procedures.

The 6th, 7th, and 9th photo is after hairline work (but as explained in OP only around 500 grafts)

Sorry, but to be honest, this is rather disappointing. When I first looked at the pics I thought you forgot to upload the after pics.

Are you happy with the outcome?

» Sorry, but to be honest, this is rather disappointing. When I first looked
» at the pics I thought you forgot to upload the after pics.
»
» Are you happy with the outcome?

Thank you for your comments.

Which part are you talking about that you think may be disappointing?

» Sorry, but to be honest, this is rather disappointing. When I first looked
» at the pics I thought you forgot to upload the after pics.
»
» Are you happy with the outcome?

You can’t tell which one is the before and which ones are the after photos?

If you investigate my blog you will learn further my experience from the beginning with Dr. Umar, but to summarize:

My first procedure was a combination of BH and scalp hair to fill in and repair my crown area which was a scarred terrain from previous surgeries and also 2 scalp reductions.

Unfortunately I experienced a prolonged bout of inflamation which resulted in a poor yield. Dr. Umar brought me back into the office and at no charge he put another 1000 or so grafts of scalp hair into the area which produced an expected result for only 1000 grafts. (See blog)

Then this past January Dr. Umar placed approximately 3000 beard hair grafts into my crown and top area, and now after 10 months, my area has improved some more. In my opinion my beard hair does not get nearly as thick as some peoples’ do. So, in the furture I will only use scalp hair because I do still have some available.

During my last trip this past January my hairline in the middle has gotten worse which Dr. Umar did not know before I arrived. So, in addition to the beard grafts he also was kind enough to give me a start on the hairline area to give it some definition but we only did about 500 or so at that time.

Obviously, I need further work on my hairline to make it better and to also make the area behind the hairline thicker.

I will also consider making the crown area thicker, but I will be using all scalp hair for furture surgeries because, as previously stated, even though the beard hair improved my situation, I think my beard hair characteristics are not as good as some peoples’.

» My first procedure was a combination of BH and scalp hair to fill in and
» repair my crown area which was a scarred terrain from previous surgeries
» and also 2 scalp reductions.
»
» Unfortunately I experienced a prolonged bout of inflamation which resulted
» in a poor yield.

Now I understand and I can appreciate the improvement in your pictures, did you know what caused the prolonged inflammation? I wonder how often does that happen and whether it has anything to do with your body rejecting body hair.

» » My first procedure was a combination of BH and scalp hair to fill in and
» » repair my crown area which was a scarred terrain from previous
» surgeries
» » and also 2 scalp reductions.
» »
» » Unfortunately I experienced a prolonged bout of inflamation which
» resulted
» » in a poor yield.
»
» Now I understand and I can appreciate the improvement in your pictures,
» did you know what caused the prolonged inflammation? I wonder how often
» does that happen and whether it has anything to do with your body rejecting
» body hair.

I don’t know why it happened. I guess it’s just being unlucky that one time.

Dr. Umar, as previously stated though, did bring me back at no charge and placed a little more than 1000 head hair in my crown area and those took very well.

My last procedure seemed to improve my crown a little more too, but because my beard hair doesn’t seem to mature as well as many men’s do, I think I will go with all scalp hair in the future.

My hairline area wasn’t a big part of my last procedure because, initially, hairline work was not planned until I arrived at his office and we discovered that my hairline in the middle had worsened since my last procedure with him in 2008.

Dr. Umar graciously volunteered to do extra work along my hairline to give me a start in this area and for that I thank him.

For all those that are taking propecia (although I’m no doctor) I would recommend that you continue to take it. I stopped taking propecia, and without realizing it as it was happening, it was that period of time in which my hairline evidently started to get worse. (I didn’t realize it as it was evidently happening)

Would it have happened even had I not stopped the proecia? Who knows, but I certainly would not have stopped taking it if I had the chance to do it over again.

Keepitshorter are you using Propecia or PRoscar? They may have adverse effect on body/beard hair for some people maybe that explains why

» Keepitshorter are you using Propecia or PRoscar? They may have adverse
» effect on body/beard hair for some people maybe that explains why

I stopped using proscar more than a year before my last procedure in 1-09 using some beard hair.

Even years before I ever started using proscar I was never really able to grow a full, thick, and mature beard. I just simply do not have the amount of body hair ans thickness as some people do.