Dr. Mwamba - WHTC - Grafting into Scar with BHT - Result of 1st Session

For the best result and yield, Dr. Mwamba recommends grafting scars in two sessions.

During the first session we add a lower density of grafts throughout the scar. The lower density helps to ensure higher yield. The scar tissue has no blood flow, so adding grafts to the scar helps to re-establish circulation in the area. You can actually see the circulation indicated by a halo of color around the grafts in the magnified picture.

The scar result is a more normal color, matching the surrounding tissues. The smooth, shiney texture is broken up by the grafts to improve the appearance and help the scar blend in with the surrounding areas. And of course, the additional hairs add coverage.

Sometimes patients are satisfied at this point, but usually a second session is needed to further improve the appearance. During the second session, we add another pass of grafts to better match the density of the surrounding areas.

Scars can be grafted with scalp or body hairs. Here is an example of body hairs grafted into a widened strip scar after one session. The scar is outlined in black. When we began treatment the scar was hairless, smooth, shiny, and very white.

Here you can see the length, texture, and wave of the body hairs growing in the scar. The length is a bit longer than when the hair was growing in the body. Most of the hairs are straight, but you can see a few that still have some curl to them.

how many grafts were put in the scar in total?

» how many grafts were put in the scar in total?

518 BHT for the first session

where was the body hair taken from? And what % do you think grew?

» where was the body hair taken from? And what % do you think grew?

Chest and thigh.Really hard to say because I didn’t count them .Roughly I will say above 85% grew.

I like the picture of the grown out body hairs because you can really see the length, texture, and curl when it grows in the scalp environment. There has been speculation that the length and diameter change when transplanted to the scalp.

Dr. Mwamba, If this patient keeps adding hair, do you think he can one day buzz his hair to a level 2, without anyone seeing his scar?

» Dr. Mwamba, If this patient keeps adding hair, do you think he can one day
» buzz his hair to a level 2, without anyone seeing his scar?
I will not be affirmatif on that one.He had a big scar and BHt growing in the scar doesn’t erase it .So if you cut your hairs to short ,it may be noticeable.But when you have a big scars like this(over 2cm wide),adding hairs or BHT act like a filler.If you keep your hairs longer,he creates an impression of more volume and help to break down the see through.During his second session we look at his donor and see places where we could see through and mark them and treat them.Of course we added a little bit in others places to increase the overall coverage.
If you want to wear your hairs short,the treatment I will recommend is excision of the scar by the strip method to bring it down to a 3or 5 mm;Then graft it.Then,you can be able to cut under level 2 without fear it will show up.

» » Dr. Mwamba, If this patient keeps adding hair, do you think he can one
» day
» » buzz his hair to a level 2, without anyone seeing his scar?
» I will not be affirmatif on that one.He had a big scar and BHt growing in
» the scar doesn’t erase it .So if you cut your hairs to short ,it may be
» noticeable.But when you have a big scars like this(over 2cm wide),adding
» hairs or BHT act like a filler.If you keep your hairs longer,he creates an
» impression of more volume and help to break down the see through.During his
» second session we look at his donor and see places where we could see
» through and mark them and treat them.Of course we added a little bit in
» others places to increase the overall coverage.
» If you want to wear your hairs short,the treatment I will recommend is
» excision of the scar by the strip method to bring it down to a 3or 5
» mm;Then graft it.Then,you can be able to cut under level 2 without fear it
» will show up.

Unfortunately, this patient had I think 3 previous strip procedures, so there wasn’t enough laxity left to do a excision of the scar.