Dr. Kemp: "baldness will be a choice" - 2.5 years to go

Have you guys all read this? See what Ihave been saying all along? Intercytex is our only hope.

British scientists confident of baldness cure

It is a ray of hope for men limited to choosing between an unflattering comb-over, a toupee or a transplant.

British scientists are working on a new cure for baldness and are confident they will have perfected their technique by the end of the decade.

So far, the remedy, which involves a series of injections under local anaesthetic, has improved hair growth in almost three-quarters of those treated.

Researcher Dr Paul Kemp, who is using himself as a guinea-pig for the pioneering new treatment, says the results are so encouraging that soon ‘baldness will be a choice’.

And the Government is so tickled by the thought of a cure for the condition that affects 7.4million British men at any one time that it has ploughed almost £2million of taxpayers’ money into Dr Kemp’s research.

The treatment centres around tiny scalp cells called dermal papilla cells. Found at the bottom of the hair follicle, they are responsible for the growth of new hair.

Scientists at Cambridge-based biotechnology firm Intercytex, have found a way of harvesting these cells, growing them up in the lab and then injecting them into the scalp at a point where the hair is thinning. There, the cells happily sprout new hairs.

Science Minister Lord Sainsbury believes the technique could establish the UK as a ‘world leader’ in research into baldness.

Dr Kemp, a biochemist, said: ‘The idea is to inject the cells back into the scalp, where many of them will develop into new hair follicles.’

'Sometime in the future baldness will be a choice rather than something you have to suffer.

'Any bald people will have chosen to be bald.

‘There is huge potential in the market. Analysts estimate that a good baldness treatment could be worth £1 billion a year in Britain and many times that worldwide.’

The treatment, which is still experimental, could end severe hair loss in older people and thinning on top for the young.

Intercytex says the technique is quicker, less painful, and, crucially, gives better results, than conventional hair transplants. It is also likely to be cheaper than the current transplants which cost up to £10,000.

These transplants generally take two eight-hour sessions under local anaesthetic. The results are often patchy, with patients complaining the relocated hair looks unnatural and ‘tufty.’

With the new technique, a small section of hair and skin is removed during a 30-minute operation carried out under local anaesthetic.

The hair is taken from the side of the head, where the follicles tend to live longer - and so produce hair later in life - than those on the top of the scalp.

The sample is then taken to the lab, where the dermal papilla cells are separated out and coaxed into multiplying in flasks.

After two months, the patient returns to the clinic to have the lab-grown cells injected into his bald patch, again under anaesthetic.

But it is not all good news for those with thinning barnets. A typical bare pate would currently need around 1,000 injections. with each jab penetrating 3mm into the skin.

Three months later, new hair should start to poke its way through the previously bald skin.

In early trials, five out of seven men treated experienced hair growth. Larger-scale trials, boosted by a £1.9million grant from the Department of Trade and Industry, are underway.

Male-pattern baldness affects two-thirds of men as they get older, and despite, being a supposed sign of virility, it can have a devastating effect on self-esteem.

Earlier this year, LibDem MP Mark Oaten blamed his midlife crisis and ensuing sex scandal on losing his hair.

I first heard about Hair Multiplication back in 1997 when Dr. Gho first started working on it.
Here we are… TEN LONG YEARS later… and we still have NOTHING.
I don’t want to wait til 2010.
We’ve all grown old waiting for this. Now it doesn’t matter anymore.

True, Gho was a huge disappointment. But Gho was a one man band, Intercytex is an established public company, they sure have more credibility than Gho any way you slice it.

» Have you guys all read this? See what Ihave been saying all along?
» Intercytex is our only hope.
»
» British scientists confident of baldness cure | Daily Mail Online

You realize you’re not the first one to post this article? Its eight months old. Find us something that shows any progress made during that time.

2.5 years to go? My ass! In 2004 they said it was “three to four years away”. Now let me see - what year is it now? Oh, it’s 2007, so it must be available by now. Only: It isn’t… And guess what: In 2.5 years it will be “three to four years away”. Or “2.5 years away”. Bottom line: It won’t be available. My hunch is that they’re gonna feed us the “three to four years away” lie for many years to come.

» 2.5 years to go? My ass! In 2004 they said it was “three to four years
» away”. Now let me see - what year is it now? Oh, it’s 2007, so it must be
» available by now. Only: It isn’t… And guess what: In 2.5 years it will
» be “three to four years away”. Or “2.5 years away”. Bottom line: It won’t
» be available. My hunch is that they’re gonna feed us the “three to four
» years away” lie for many years to come.

Hello, i´ve been here for several years and i didn´t even became a member of this forum i don´t know why but it´s true, i was just reading and reading and reading…and i´m 40 years old now, time is passing by and my hair is just almost an illusion…i only can see it in my dreams…i´ve been waiting for HM as long as you guys and belive me the time of fun and all that things that peolple do while they´re young, all that belongs to the past and for me it´s to late and i just don´t care anymore about waiting more years…now it doesn’t matter anymore
good luck for you guys :wink:

sorry for my bad english
take care

Then honestly why do you still come to this forum? I just don’t understand cynical people like yourself. This a bunch of unsupported BS you write. First off if we look at the case of Intercytex they have been sticking strongly to the 2010 deadline for sometime now and unlike anyone else have a procedure in phase II trials something also never ever been reached by any of it predecessors. You are probably one of the cynics before saying Intercytex would never even make it to phase II trials and would be stuck in phase I forever. Bottom line: Progress is being made and these unfounded cynical comments are unappreciated here.

The following email was written in August 2003. As you can see ICX said 2008 at the earliest. And that was for FDA submission, so add another year and a half to clear the FDA and get things organized and that put their earliest prediction to 2010, which is what Kemp still currently believes is the earliest chance for HM to be released.

However, they ICX has been way tardy on its predictions of when phase I and phase II would begin/end, so on that note I agree with you about the missed timelines. Thus, if they miss the 2010 timeline for actual rollout, it wouldn’t surprise me. They are nowhere near the 2007 mark mentioned below. All said though, they have by far the best track record of hitting their longterm development timeline of any biotech I have ever followed. Yes, they have drifted in places, but that is to be expected when guessing about developing a brand new and earth-shattering breakthrough medical treatment.

And nobody should listen to Katherine H. at ICX. She is a PR lady only and does not have an actual insight into what it will take to accomplish HM from a scientific standpoint. She is a heck of a nice lady, but she is not the one working on this from a scientific standpoint, so she can only really pay us lip service.

Also note that Kemp’s original prediction in 2003 was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. He predicted submission as early as 2005, so that would be perhaps product by 2007. Take note he qualified it with “However, please be aware that clinical trials are always difficult, unforeseen hurdles almost always occur. As we will want Trichocyte regulated as a medical product we will need to invest a lot of time to obtain the appropriate efficacy data.”

The nature of this game is to not realize how much is involved until you get in there and muck around. Gho is not an exception when it comes to missing timelines–Gho is the rule. This is the way it is in this field. I’m often put off by people who are actually fuming mad at researchers who are doing their best to bring forth a cure. The researchers always miss timelines, that is the nature of the game. But without the passion and dream of getting their in the near term, these guys would burn out and quit. So kudos to the reaserchers. :smiley:

August 2003

Dear XXX

Thank you for your recent enquiry about our TrichoCyte programme. We are currently in the middle of our first in human study. This study is being conducted at the
Farjo medical centre in Manchester, UK. If successful we would expect to start the Phase II studies sometime in the next year subject to regulatory approval in the US.
The principal investigator for the Phase II will be Jerry Cooley, Charlotte, NC. If the clinical trial programme goes to plan we would expect to make an application to
the FDA in about 5 years time. I cannot see, at present, any mechanism for shortening this time scale. We intend to update our web site on our progress at regular
intervals. However, please feel free to contact me again for an update.

Regards

Ewan

Ewan Campbell

Director of clinical and regulatory affairs
Intercytex Ltd
48 Grafton Street
Manchester
M13 9XX

YAWWWNNNNN !!!

Here’s a link I found in my bookmarks.I don’t know if I bookmarked it from here or not so it may be a repost.Either way,I figured I’d post the link since we are all so gullible enough to believe that there will be a cure for hairloss anytime soon.

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5666060861/m/3891094782

» Then honestly why do you still come to this forum?

Because I’m still interested in any new developments. I do believe that HM will one day become a reality - just not in the next 2.5 years. (And hey: They can always prove me wrong…)

» This a bunch of unsupported BS you write.

Now leeeeet me see: In 2004 a whole bunch of scientists (including Dr. Cotsarelis and Dr. Washenik) claimed that HM was “three to four years away”. Fact. It is now 2007, and HM is NOT on the market. Fact. So, forgive me if I don’t get overly excited if yet another scientist claims that HM is “2.5 years away”. And as for Intercytex: I believe that it took them 2 years to analyse the data from phase I. Do you really believe that in the next 2.5 years they’re gonna finish phase II, analyse the data from phase II, prepare phase III, conduct phase III, analyse phase III, submit their findings to the FDA, wait for the FDA to review their findings and - finally - launch the treatment? You can believe what you want, but I don’t think this is realistic.

» You are probably one of the cynics before saying Intercytex would never
» even make it to phase II trials and would be stuck in phase I forever.

Sorry to disappoint, but I never said anything of the kind.

» Bottom line: Progress is being made

No-one denies that progress is being made, but I still think that 2010 is unrealistic.

» and these unfounded cynical comments are unappreciated here.

Oooh, that’s me sorted out! It seems to me that one of us didn’t quite grasp the concept of a discussion. I always thought that the point of a discussion was to exchange different points of view. But maybe I should adopt your approach: Nod your head every time somebody says something you want to hear and have a pop at anyone who has the audacity to question your little fantasy.
(And talking of fantasies: In 2004 Dr. Washenik said that the “three to four years away” figure was - quote - “not a fantasy”. It turns out it was just that after all…)

» one of us didn’t quite grasp the concept of a discussion. I always thought that the point of a
» discussion was to exchange different points of view. But maybe I should
» adopt your approach: Nod your head every time somebody says something you
» want to hear and have a pop at anyone who has the audacity to question
» your little fantasy.

Well said !

» YAWWWNNNNN !!!
»
» Here’s a link I found in my bookmarks.I don’t know if I bookmarked it from
» here or not so it may be a repost.Either way,I figured I’d post the link
» since we are all so gullible enough to believe that there will be a cure
» for hairloss anytime soon.
»
» http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5666060861/m/3891094782

You have to watch these forum claims. It’s not like the source works for the company or anything. OTOH, ICX’ progress over the last 6 years has been very much like the typical biotech startup that has extreme promise. I find it hard to believe the pessimism people have. They should be celebrating that a company is taking this as seriously as ICX and both the company and the government are investing numerous millions into this in order to bring it to fruition.

Sometimes I get the feeling if a magic ferry appeared and cured all bald people, about half of them would complain that it was going to take 3 months before the hair grew out to an “acceptable” length.

But try & see it from my point of view as well.I have been balding since 15.It effected my social,personal & professional life.
I tried a HTP & was butchered beyond repair.I have been waiting for a solution to my problem for over 10 years now.That’s 10 years of no friends, no family,no girlfriend,no money…It’s hard to stay postitive man.
I am Suicidal!!
I hope that HM comes out this year because I really want to kill myself.I long for a cure but Doctors are saying that HM wont be around for at least another 10 years.I would have killed myself by then.
It’s just insulting to read posts by people who still have a life talk about HM like it’s as simple & basic as making toast.

»
»

Its an article from oct 2006. The last icx campaign aimed to gather investors (didn’t happen, I guess that all the investors are too scared of snakeoilers at this time. they will probably have to show some results (oh yeah, photographic ones, no matter how ridiculous proof a photo is in these times) then the money will come).

are you guys that naive , that you dont realize that a company such as this, or intercytex or watever has to keep people thinking its JUST AROUND THE CORNER in order to keep the investor money coming in. As long as gullible people believe it, they will continue to invest.
Now Im not saying they are not onto something, but the timetables they give are hugely suspect…if they said we will have this in 10 yrs nobody would give them any money, so they say oh its 2 yrs away, so the investors think hmmm only 2 yrs to get a return on my investment, thats not too bad.
So , do you truly trust the timetable they are giving, knowing they have a vested interest in stretching the truth? I sure dont

»
»
»
» British scientists confident of baldness cure
»
» It is a ray of hope for men limited to choosing between an unflattering
» comb-over, a toupee or a transplant.
»
» British scientists are working on a new cure for baldness and are
» confident they will have perfected their technique by the end of the
» decade.

»
» So far, the remedy, which involves a series of injections under local
» anaesthetic, has improved hair growth in almost three-quarters of those
» treated.
»
» Researcher Dr Paul Kemp, who is using himself as a guinea-pig for the
» pioneering new treatment, says the results are so encouraging that soon
» ‘baldness will be a choice’.
»
» And the Government is so tickled by the thought of a cure for the
» condition that affects 7.4million British men at any one time that it has
» ploughed almost £2million of taxpayers’ money into Dr Kemp’s research.
»
» The treatment centres around tiny scalp cells called dermal papilla cells.
» Found at the bottom of the hair follicle, they are responsible for the
» growth of new hair.
»
» Scientists at Cambridge-based biotechnology firm Intercytex, have found a
» way of harvesting these cells, growing them up in the lab and then
» injecting them into the scalp at a point where the hair is thinning.
» There, the cells happily sprout new hairs.
»
» Science Minister Lord Sainsbury believes the technique could establish the
» UK as a ‘world leader’ in research into baldness.
»
» Dr Kemp, a biochemist, said: ‘The idea is to inject the cells back into
» the scalp, where many of them will develop into new hair follicles.’
»
» 'Sometime in the future baldness will be a choice rather than something
» you have to suffer.
»
» 'Any bald people will have chosen to be bald.
»
» ‘There is huge potential in the market. Analysts estimate that a good
» baldness treatment could be worth £1 billion a year in Britain and many
» times that worldwide.’
»
» The treatment, which is still experimental, could end severe hair loss in
» older people and thinning on top for the young.
»
» Intercytex says the technique is quicker, less painful, and, crucially,
» gives better results, than conventional hair transplants. It is also
» likely to be cheaper than the current transplants which cost up to
» £10,000.
»
» These transplants generally take two eight-hour sessions under local
» anaesthetic. The results are often patchy, with patients complaining the
» relocated hair looks unnatural and ‘tufty.’
»
» With the new technique, a small section of hair and skin is removed during
» a 30-minute operation carried out under local anaesthetic.
»
» The hair is taken from the side of the head, where the follicles tend to
» live longer - and so produce hair later in life - than those on the top of
» the scalp.
»
» The sample is then taken to the lab, where the dermal papilla cells are
» separated out and coaxed into multiplying in flasks.
»
» After two months, the patient returns to the clinic to have the lab-grown
» cells injected into his bald patch, again under anaesthetic.
»
» But it is not all good news for those with thinning barnets. A typical
» bare pate would currently need around 1,000 injections. with each jab
» penetrating 3mm into the skin.
»
» Three months later, new hair should start to poke its way through the
» previously bald skin.
»
» In early trials, five out of seven men treated experienced hair growth.
» Larger-scale trials, boosted by a £1.9million grant from the Department of
» Trade and Industry, are underway.
»
» Male-pattern baldness affects two-thirds of men as they get older, and
» despite, being a supposed sign of virility, it can have a devastating
» effect on self-esteem.
»
» Earlier this year, LibDem MP Mark Oaten blamed his midlife crisis and
» ensuing sex scandal on losing his hair.

cynics come from years and years of “just around the corner” bs that is posted in the newspapers by hair multiplication and all sorts of other bs…
when they find the cure, THEN GET IT APPROVED THEN TELL US ABOUT IT

all this …just around the corner crap is for the birds

» » away”. Now let me see - what year is it now? Oh, it’s 2007, so it must
» be
» » available by now. Only: It isn’t… And guess what: In 2.5 years it
» will
» » be “three to four years away”. Or “2.5 years away”. Bottom line: It
» won’t
» » be available. My hunch is that they’re gonna feed us the “three to four
» » years away” lie for many years to come.
»
» Then honestly why do you still come to this forum? I just don’t understand
» cynical people like yourself. This a bunch of unsupported BS you write.
» First off if we look at the case of Intercytex they have been sticking
» strongly to the 2010 deadline for sometime now and unlike anyone else have
» a procedure in phase II trials something also never ever been reached by
» any of it predecessors. You are probably one of the cynics before saying
» Intercytex would never even make it to phase II trials and would be stuck
» in phase I forever. Bottom line: Progress is being made and these
» unfounded cynical comments are unappreciated here.

Until they have the thing APPROVED …AND IT WORKS

its all pie in the sky bullcrap…they want to keep everyone thinking its JUST AROUND THE CORNER…to keep the MONEY COMING IN…you guys are a bit naive

» » YAWWWNNNNN !!!
» »
» » Here’s a link I found in my bookmarks.I don’t know if I bookmarked it
» from
» » here or not so it may be a repost.Either way,I figured I’d post the
» link
» » since we are all so gullible enough to believe that there will be a
» cure
» » for hairloss anytime soon.
» »
» »
» http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5666060861/m/3891094782
»
» You have to watch these forum claims. It’s not like the source works for
» the company or anything. OTOH, ICX’ progress over the last 6 years has
» been very much like the typical biotech startup that has extreme promise.
» I find it hard to believe the pessimism people have. They should be
» celebrating that a company is taking this as seriously as ICX and both the
» company and the government are investing numerous millions into this in
» order to bring it to fruition.
»
» Sometimes I get the feeling if a magic ferry appeared and cured all bald
» people, about half of them would complain that it was going to take 3
» months before the hair grew out to an “acceptable” length.

a guy like you , hair wont help you
if losing your hair has caused you to have no money no friends etc, you need mental counseling, a full head of hair would do you no good

you are like a plastic surgeons worst nightmare, someone who thinks that if he looked better it would cure all his ills, most legitimate docs would turn you away

» But try & see it from my point of view as well.I have been balding since
» 15.It effected my social,personal & professional life.
» I tried a HTP & was butchered beyond repair.I have been waiting for a
» solution to my problem for over 10 years now.That’s 10 years of no
» friends, no family,no girlfriend,no money…It’s hard to stay postitive
» man.
» I am Suicidal!!
» I hope that HM comes out this year because I really want to kill myself.I
» long for a cure but Doctors are saying that HM wont be around for at least
» another 10 years.I would have killed myself by then.
» It’s just insulting to read posts by people who still have a life talk
» about HM like it’s as simple & basic as making toast.

» Do you really believe that
» in the next 2.5 years they’re gonna finish phase II, analyse the data from
» phase II, prepare phase III, conduct phase III, analyse phase III, submit
» their findings to the FDA, wait for the FDA to review their findings and -
» finally - launch the treatment? You can believe what you want, but I don’t
» think this is realistic.

Personally I am not looking to the United States as having the first commercially released HM product on the market. I am thinking the launch will be something similar to their VAVELTA product that is scheduled to be launched in the second half of this year in the UK. This is because it doesn’t fall under the category of being a drug.

» » Bottom line: Progress is being made
»
» No-one denies that progress is being made, but I still think that 2010 is
» unrealistic.
»
» » and these unfounded cynical comments are unappreciated here.
»
» Oooh, that’s me sorted out! It seems to me that one of us didn’t quite
» grasp the concept of a discussion. I always thought that the point of a
» discussion was to exchange different points of view. But maybe I should
» adopt your approach: Nod your head every time somebody says something you
» want to hear and have a pop at anyone who has the audacity to question
» your little fantasy.
» (And talking of fantasies: In 2004 Dr. Washenik said that the “three to
» four years away” figure was - quote - “not a fantasy”. It turns out it was
» just that after all…)

Thats not true at all I don’t mind if you question my view point at all. I just would like to know why you think the way you do instead of just stating an opinion without giving any sort of reference at all. I to think that the goals of Intercytex are doable but for the most part their deadlines are often missed by a few months. As for Dr. Washenik you bring up an excellent point and I totally agree with you that he has totally missed his deadlines that he originally set out. I don’t know what to make of Dr. Washenik’s deadlines anymore and for the most part it is relatively harder to monitor Aderans progress than it is to monitor Intercytex’s. Intercytex’s 2.5 year deadline to finish phase III I feel is definitely within the realm of possibility with the hope that everything has gone well in phase II. I believe that these results from phase II will be the most crucial if they are positive then 2010 -2011 for release otherwise it will be sometime later.

» a guy like you , hair wont help you
» if losing your hair has caused you to have no money no friends etc, you
» need mental counseling, a full head of hair would do you no good
»
» you are like a plastic surgeons worst nightmare, someone who thinks that
» if he looked better it would cure all his ills, most legitimate docs would
» turn you away
»
»
Hangin- I don’t think hair will help a guy like you either. No matter how much you get you’ll still be a douche.