Dr. Jones will be using Acell\'s ECM products for strip scars repair

Willy,

“If this is what you are saying then I fail to see the benefit. Once you suture the wound closed, how will the Acell sheet prevent scarring? Is the sheet absorbed into the body? Are you sure that the body will not reject the sheet? How is this any major advantage since you are essentially losing the donor tissue and hair that you remove which still leads to the problem of a limited donor supply?”

Yes, the sheet is absorbed into the body but one thing you need to understand, the sheet is used no matter how you do this, be it for complete strip regeneration or simply to prevent a scar from forming. And speaking of which, there is a HUGE benefit to using this in a traditional fashion as it would mean NO scar AND it may mean some tissue regeneration to the point where more hair would be able to be taken in multiple session as opposed to Matrix not being used at all. It may regenerate some of the tissue that was taken to begin with but because I believe in baby steps for big improvements I think the prospect of ZERO scarring, not hidden, not dotted, not tricho, but NO scar is pretty big. Don’t dismiss this prospect as having no benefit because I think it does.

For scarring, it may allow for scar revision in the truest sense of the word. If it does indeed show to completely regenerate the donor zone then those that had simple revisions can then come back to start with the “endless” option. I see no reason why this wouldn’t be possible after revision if it can indeed wind up regenerating donor that has been removed.

And I urge you to exercise caution in encouraging everyone to consider their local clinic due to the convenience factor for the “full meal deal” of complete donor regeneration. I personally am still skeptical at this point because this is a huge step. It may work, I hope it works, but this is still hair transplant surgery and few clinics are proficient enough to give natural results much less do it time and again consistently. I fail to see the point of getting a hair transplant from a clinic that can help with endless donor supply if the end result still looks less than natural. IF, and that is a big IF, the “endless donor” scenario could work out, the final result is still dependent on the artistic ability of the clinic. I think there are enough patients on this board, not to mention others, that can attest to the lack of competent clinics that are out there.

Regarding how Dr. Jones is able to do this in Canada? Ask him because I have no idea. Yes we have US locations but they are not surgical offices. Our Seattle and Portland, Oregon location are consultation offices only.

» Willy,
»
» “If this is what you are saying then I fail to see the benefit. Once you
» suture the wound closed, how will the Acell sheet prevent scarring? Is the
» sheet absorbed into the body? Are you sure that the body will not reject
» the sheet? How is this any major advantage since you are essentially losing
» the donor tissue and hair that you remove which still leads to the problem
» of a limited donor supply?”
»
» Yes, the sheet is absorbed into the body but one thing you need to
» understand, the sheet is used no matter how you do this, be it for complete
» strip regeneration or simply to prevent a scar from forming. And speaking
» of which, there is a HUGE benefit to using this in a traditional fashion as
» it would mean NO scar AND it may mean some tissue regeneration to the point
» where more hair would be able to be taken in multiple session as opposed to
» Matrix not being used at all. It may regenerate some of the tissue that was
» taken to begin with but because I believe in baby steps for big
» improvements I think the prospect of ZERO scarring, not hidden, not dotted,
» not tricho, but NO scar is pretty big. Don’t dismiss this prospect as
» having no benefit because I think it does.
»
» For scarring, it may allow for scar revision in the truest sense of the
» word. If it does indeed show to completely regenerate the donor zone then
» those that had simple revisions can then come back to start with the
» “endless” option. I see no reason why this wouldn’t be possible after
» revision if it can indeed wind up regenerating donor that has been
» removed.
»
» And I urge you to exercise caution in encouraging everyone to consider
» their local clinic due to the convenience factor for the “full meal deal”
» of complete donor regeneration. I personally am still skeptical at this
» point because this is a huge step. It may work, I hope it works, but this
» is still hair transplant surgery and few clinics are proficient enough to
» give natural results much less do it time and again consistently. I fail to
» see the point of getting a hair transplant from a clinic that can help with
» endless donor supply if the end result still looks less than natural. IF,
» and that is a big IF, the “endless donor” scenario could work out, the
» final result is still dependent on the artistic ability of the clinic. I
» think there are enough patients on this board, not to mention others, that
» can attest to the lack of competent clinics that are out there.
»
» Regarding how Dr. Jones is able to do this in Canada? Ask him because I
» have no idea. Yes we have US locations but they are not surgical offices.
» Our Seattle and Portland, Oregon location are consultation offices only.

I just hope that all of the doctors that try this test all of the possible methods of use to determine which (if any) will work the best. (Strip, FUE, ECT…) I also hope that steps are document with before / after pics to prove / disprove it’s effectiveness.

Take Care,
Bill

Jotronic,

It wasn’t written clearly, but I meant to say the major drawback (and arguably the only major drawback) of strip hair transplants, as opposed to FUE.

Of course for those who choose strip, it’s not a big enough drawback to keep them away, but it is an important reason why many people, including myself, are not at all interested in strip.

If Hasson and Wong did FUE, I’d be there in a second. If I could get the yield of strip, and the good work of Hasson and Wong and if something like Acell left no strip scar, I’d be there in a second.

» And by the way, Z22, I don’t think you meant it like this but for our
» patients there is no real drawback from our procedure. They don’t really
» mind the scar because they are not head shavers else we wouldn’t be booked
» for a couple of months out.

Resolve the problem of the scar, it’s a little success… be able to have illimitated donor hairs it’s the END of the plague… so Jotronic, see Acell like this possibility. Now i don’t go for a transplant not because i’m scared by the scar… but because the results are pretty poor in term of density (in all the head). So Acell have the possibility to resolve this problem; i think that will be more usefull on regrowth new donor than to resolve scars…

On the fact that a doctor need artistic talent to do a good transplant, i’m with you. But i’v mailed a lot of doctors not to improve business of doctors that are less responsible or less expensive… only because more people try, and more chance to resolve the problem we have.

NT

Jotronic,

You give the prospective patients as well as other HT doctors much less credit than they diserve…“And I urge you to exercise caution in encouraging everyone to consider their local clinic due to the convenience factor for the “full meal deal” of complete donor regeneration”

Do you honestly think that patients are going to run to their local clinics like puppets without researching them first at the encouragment of some poster on hairsite??? Twenty years ago when dealing with an uninformed public this may have been possible, but today the research is just a few clicks away…Many of the HT patients on this board have researched HT doctors extensively and will travel across states, and some to other countries to get results.

I also find it had to believe that any doctor experimenting with this is just going to cut a 1 inch by 6 inch gash in the back of somebodys head and try Acell…I would hope that most doctors are more intelligent than that…A five year old would know to start small, really small…and Im sure most doctors are more intelligent than a five year old (except maybe the ones whose daddy got them into medical school :stuck_out_tongue: …LOL).

Anyways, I am still concerned about leaving the Acell matrix sheet enclosed in the sutured wound…I thought I had considered all of the possible ways to use the matrix, but I never considered this…beyond not really giving the patient any increase in donor hair, I would be extremely concerned with the sheet being rejected…is the entire sheet biodegradeable ??? Has this been tried in any of the vet cases ???

Yes, I think people are getting so excited about “unlimited donor” that they are forgetting this aspect of ACELL which is far more likely to work.

Let’s just repeat it. Strip surgery WITHOUT the strip scar!

Yes, unlimited donor would be great, even if it did mean taking 6 weeks off work and visiting the clinic every few days (with the attendant increase in costs that that would incur).

But think about it - a strip mega session with no scar. That alone would be a MASSIVE leap forward in HT technology.

This was posted by Mato232 in the HM forum:

Personally I think if it can turn a thin scar into an almost no-scar, it’ill be already a great goal for many scarred/bald people. Even if they don’shave their heads, I’m sure, if asked, everybody is concerned about his strip scar, he just chooses to bear it!

About the after transplant following every 3/4 days dressing, maybe I’m naive, but couldn’t be done by a trustworthy nearby doctor, even if he does not perform transplants? You call it a dressing, generrally nurses do it!

That is a good point that I didn’t think of. Why can’t HT patients have local doctors reapply the Acell sheets after the surgery. This would save alot of time / aggravation / and expense for the patient.

Take Care,
Bill

While binding the strip as is normally done, and then applying Acell would be a big improvement, assuming Acell works as we plan, that method still seems to have a huge disadvantage over the other Acell application people have discussed.

Even if the Acell prevents scarring, and better yet, grows hair on that thin strip, we are still losing a significant amount of elasticity.

» Well, I’ll just dish out what I know. Acell is confident that their product
» will regrow however there is a caveat. For all the tissue and hair to grow
» back the wound needs to heal like an open wound. The matrix sheet would be
» stitched on at the edges to hold it in place then the wound would have to
» be kept moist. Redressing would be necessary every few days so you’d need
» to be near the clinic for a few weeks. I was told complete regeneration
» should appear, and finished in about five weeks.
»
» On the other hand, and I think this is much more practical, the sheets
» could be placed inside the wound, close it up, then let it heal like any
» strip wound then it should result in no scar and some hair in the narrow
» area that regenerated. This is not my hypothesis, this is that of the VP of
» Acell as I’ve spoken to him about this recently. So, in the case of scar
» tissue, the scar could be cut out, then the matrix sheet (applied over the
» powerder), then the area should heal up as if nothing was ever done.
» Again, this is from the mouth of the VP of Acell, not me. This is what he
» came to after I explained in more detail the nature of the procedure. So,
» while some tissue would be regenerated it would only be enough to fill the
» void where scar tissue would normally have formed.
»
»
» That’s all I got guys and like I said it is pretty much straight from
» Acell and not conjecture on my part.

It still sounds very painful and very invasive, major drawback even if it works, we still need to have our head cut open in order to put the sheets in.

This product is not even being tested 4 the use in strip/FUE.It is being tested 4 PRE EXISTING SCAR REAPIR.Scar repair that can be done in small procedures that won’t b intrusive/painful.

It amazes me how Dr Jones has taken a compassionate & selfless route of choosing 2 use this product 2 REAPIR pre existing scars.He has chosen 2 save the victims of this industry & 2 give the lives back 2 freaks like me as opposed 2 using this product as a means of producing more grafts & ultimately making more money 4 himself.

God bless Dr Jones 4 his efforts 2 save lives as opposed 2 finding a way 2 generate more money.This reminds me of Ray Woods.Here is a man who invented BHT 2 repair ppl & now BHT has been turned in2 just another money spinner by so many others.Speaking of Ray Woods,I would love 2 hear his thoughts on this ACELL product.This doctor lives & breathes scar tissue,nobody has his experience in dealing with scar tissue.A man with his experience & technical skill would bring allot 2 ACELL studies.

Ray,if ur reading,pls look in2 this product.Even if u r sceptical about it, pls look in2 it.

Speaking of Ray Woods,he was mocked & ridiculed 4 his ideas 2,now everyone is copying his techniques.I only hope ACELL is able to shut up the critics.

» This product is not even being tested 4 the use in strip/FUE.It is being
» tested 4 PRE EXISTING SCAR REAPIR.Scar repair that can be done in small
» procedures that won’t b intrusive/painful.
»
» It amazes me how Dr Jones has taken a compassionate & selfless route of
» choosing 2 use this product 2 REAPIR pre existing scars.He has chosen 2
» save the victims of this industry & 2 give the lives back 2 freaks like me
» as opposed 2 using this product as a means of producing more grafts &
» ultimately making more money 4 himself.
»
» God bless Dr Jones 4 his efforts 2 save lives as opposed 2 finding a way 2
» generate more money.This reminds me of Ray Woods.Here is a man who invented
» BHT 2 repair ppl & now BHT has been turned in2 just another money spinner
» by so many others.Speaking of Ray Woods,I would love 2 hear his thoughts on
» this ACELL product.This doctor lives & breathes scar tissue,nobody has his
» experience in dealing with scar tissue.A man with his experience &
» technical skill would bring allot 2 ACELL studies.
»
» Ray,if ur reading,pls look in2 this product.Even if u r sceptical about
» it, pls look in2 it.
»
» Speaking of Ray Woods,he was mocked & ridiculed 4 his ideas 2,now everyone
» is copying his techniques.I only hope ACELL is able to shut up the critics.

let’s pray that ACell comes through!

» let’s pray that ACell comes through!

Praying is not going 2 achieve anything.We need some brave souls 2 become guinea pigs.Cancer has an uncanny ability 2 raise it’s ugly head every time the medical world tries 2 advance itself.I was initially really excited by this but the more I think about it the more I realise just what a difficult task it will be.

» Well, I’ll just dish out what I know. Acell is confident that their product
» will regrow however there is a caveat. For all the tissue and hair to grow
» back the wound needs to heal like an open wound. The matrix sheet would be
» stitched on at the edges to hold it in place then the wound would have to
» be kept moist. Redressing would be necessary every few days so you’d need
» to be near the clinic for a few weeks. I was told complete regeneration
» should appear, and finished in about five weeks.
»
» On the other hand, and I think this is much more practical, the sheets
» could be placed inside the wound, close it up, then let it heal like any
» strip wound then it should result in no scar and some hair in the narrow
» area that regenerated. This is not my hypothesis, this is that of the VP of
» Acell as I’ve spoken to him about this recently. So, in the case of scar
» tissue, the scar could be cut out, then the matrix sheet (applied over the
» powerder), then the area should heal up as if nothing was ever done.
» Again, this is from the mouth of the VP of Acell, not me. This is what he
» came to after I explained in more detail the nature of the procedure. So,
» while some tissue would be regenerated it would only be enough to fill the
» void where scar tissue would normally have formed.
»
»
» That’s all I got guys and like I said it is pretty much straight from
» Acell and not conjecture on my part.

Would Acell also work if you had FUE done and your donor is looking thin? Could the Acell regrow hair in the FUE scars that dont have hair anymore to make the donor thicker again?

Thanks!

If it can work perfect as they say that it might, which i higlhly doubt, then the strips could be even bigger. They could take half your scalp and then apply acell lol.

» If it can work perfect as they say that it might, which i higlhly doubt,
» then the strips could be even bigger. They could take half your scalp and
» then apply acell
lol.

Until today the big question is: WHY NOT?
It seems that it works as it should work …