Dr. Jones will be using Acell\'s ECM products for strip scars repair

Official announcement for Dr. Robert Jones

Dr. Robert Jones now has access to Acell’s Extracellular Matrix (ECM) products for wound healing. Anyone interested in signing up as a test patient, please email hairsite@aol.com immediately for details.

There is no fee and no cost involved except for traveling expenses that you might have to incur to get to his clinic in Toronto, Canada. Toronto is about 1 hour away by air from major airports in the New York, New Jersey area.

At this point, it will be tested on patients with existing strip scars. Only a very SMALL and localized area will be treated using Acell’s ECM product. Follow-up visits are required probably on a weekly or monthly basis. Priority will be given to Canadian residents.

Readers are advised that this is an experiment for hair transplant wound repair. There are risks involved and is no guarantee for success. You are strongly advised to speak to representatives at Acell as well as Dr. Jones to fully understand the potentials and possible side effects associated with the treatment before signing up as a test patient.

This announcement is posted on behalf of Dr. Robert Jones’ clinic. HairSite is NOT involved in this experiment in any way whatsoever.

If you are interested in signing up as a test patient, please email HairSite@aol.com. Dr. Jones can start the treatment now.

Here we go !! Dr Jones is ths first…Guys we are in the moment of truth…This boad was the first to watch for Acell…hope its going to be the 1st to announce its success !

» Here we go !! Dr Jones is ths first…Guys we are in the moment of
» truth…This boad was the first to watch for Acell…hope its going to be
» the 1st to announce its success !

I know of 2 other doctors who have been sent shipments of Acell already. I also received an e-mail from another doctor (who posts here often) about obtaining Acell. I called Acell for him (and left a message) and forwarded his e-mail to them. Hopefully, they have sent a shipment to him (but I don’t know). Dr. Jones makes 4. At least these doctors must think that Acell must have some chance of benefiting HT patients.

Take Care,
Bill

» » Here we go !! Dr Jones is ths first…Guys we are in the moment of
» » truth…This boad was the first to watch for Acell…hope its going to
» be
» » the 1st to announce its success !
»
» I know of 2 other doctors who have been sent shipments of Acell already.
» I also received an e-mail from another doctor (who posts here often) about
» obtaining Acell. I called Acell for him (and left a message) and forwarded
» his e-mail to them. Hopefully, they have sent a shipment to him (but I
» don’t know). Dr. Jones makes 4. At least these doctors must think that
» Acell must have some chance of benefiting HT patients.
»
» Take Care,
» Bill

Kudos to you Bill…you are being pro-active instead complacent like some of the other posters (whose names I dont have to mention) who moan and complain constantly about nothing working and the hopelessness of any future advances in hair-related scientific research.

If this works well, then these HT docs are going to get a massive influx of patients…and very rich in the process. Good for them!

… I agree with that other poster who said he’d sell his car.

Have any of the doctors that you know have it plan on putting it into FUE holes? I’d rather not have a chunk of skin taken out of my head, Acell or not

I’m pretty sure that the one doctor who e-mailed me about getting the product only does FUE. I will e-mail him tonight to see if he was able to get the product and how he plans on using it. Hopefully, he responds.

» Bill:
»
» I just don’t get it. What is Acell supposed to do for strip procedures?
» The strip is cut out and the ends are sewn together. Where is the benefit
» here? Better healing of the strip incision? I really don’t see that as a
» major achievment having had several strip procedures myself. You most
» certainly cannot leave a strip wound open for any length of time without
» close doctor supervision (i.e., in the hospital). Please explain the
» benefits to me.
»
» Thank you

I will start by saying that I am no expert in the medical field or the field of hair restoration so take my opinions accordingly.

I’m not exactly sure how the doctors will use Acell. It may be by strip surgery of FUE. I have a feeling that many doctors will try different techniques to see what works best. One forum member e-mailed me and said that a doctor he deals with would like dip “plucked” hairs into Acell and try to implant them. I don’t know how that will work, but he is the doctor, not me. I guess it’s worth a try anyways.

I think that they will need to use the powder version of Acell if doctors want to use it in FUE surgery. The only problem with this is that the basal membrane (I think that’s what they called it - the side of the sheet that contains the growth factors) cannot be arranged in a manner where the particles of Acell all face in the right direction. The people at Acell feel that this would not be a problem because, on average, enough particles will face in the correct position to achieve the desired results.

As far as with strip surgery. I think they will use Acell exactly as you said. The doctors will perform the surgery but instead of stitching up the removed tissue, they will leave the wound open and apply the Acell material and cover it with a bandage. I believe that it would be an inconvience, but worth it if it would regenerate the donor tissue.

I know when my father had malignant melanoma skin cancer removed, they left the wound open and allowed it to heal from the inside out (I’m not really sure why…that was over 15 years ago). The incision was very deep (it was in his neck), he just kept it covered with a bandage and it healed fine. He hasn’t had any problems with it since.

By the way, I’ve had 3 strip surgeries myself (about 10-15 years ago).

Take Care,
Bill

» I’m not exactly sure how the doctors will use Acell. It may be by strip
» surgery of FUE. I have a feeling that many doctors will try different
» techniques to see what works best. One forum member e-mailed me and said
» that a doctor he deals with would like dip “plucked” hairs into Acell and
» try to implant them. I don’t know how that will work, but he is the
» doctor, not me. I guess it’s worth a try anyways.

It’s worth a try as long as they know it is safe; I hope all these doctors will confirm with Acell that it is safe before they do anything with it. It’s really not worth getting a tumor because if this.

» Kudos to you Bill…you are being pro-active instead complacent
» like some of the other posters (whose names I dont have to mention) who
» moan and complain constantly about nothing working and the hopelessness of
» any future advances in hair-related scientific research.

I suppose your remark was meant for me? All I was asking is proof that Acell is FDA approved, I don’t think that is unreasonable. I already google Acell and FDA, nothing came up, it’s also not a good sign that there is nothing about FDA approval on their website.

Thanks for the reply (and the investigative work), Bill. Believe me, I am ALL for improving the outcome of HT’s, but cannot yet wrap my brain around how it is feasible. I deleted my original post (you beat me to it) because I read hairsite’s post again and realized that it was going to be used in strip REVISIONS. Thanks, again.

I am just glad that there is something new to actually try. As opposed to speculating about companies whose motives and science are questionable, I think we have all had enough of that. Hopefully this will work, I am skeptical however, of how well those scars will heal and how well the hair will grow back. Hopefully we shall see. Interestingly, we are more interested in how the scars heals as opposed to the transplant, But I wonder if Acell could provide benefit to the transplantation site, not just the donor site. It’s worth looking into.

How could it regenerate donor hair once it has been moved. There is no follicle remaining if it was stripped or fue’d. Therefore, I fail to understand how it could provide for unlimited donor. One would think the approach people are talking about would need to be applied to dead/dormant follicles in balding areas. While, use on donor areas would seem to be limited to scar healing. Even that would be a win in my book!

the researchers at Acell are cautiously optimistic that it will regenerate donor hair

limitless supply of donor hair for transplants

Hi Bill:

Do you think a strip wound can be left open without stitch?
maybe a melanoma wound can, but a strip wound looks to me like its going to open more and more unless you hold the flesh with suture.

Regarding Dr. Jones experiment, what is the plan?
Is Dr. Jones going to open a wound in the scar tissue, and then apply the powder there, hoping that new tissue, (and new hair), grows there?

It is a good idea to treat scar tissue, because you don’t even need to do a tatoo there. I think the position of the wound will be easy to track without the need of a tatoo.

Also, is wise to treat only a small area first. I think 0,5cmx0,5cm could be enough to test the theory. Just open a “small hole”.

And, besides frequent checks, maybe it would be a good idea to get a sample of the regenerated area for analysis after some time. to see if the tissue is normal.

Hairsite,

What is the object of the doctor’s experiment?

Does he hope to grow skin AND hair where the scar tissue is now?

Or is he hoping to grow just healthy bald skin back instead?

» Official announcement for Dr. Robert Jones

That’s excellent news thanks Hairsite.

Also thanks to Willy of course who’s been very proactive in keeping us up-to-date on Acell developments.

Things are happening faster than I expected.

Best of luck to us all, I really hope it works.

I’m very happy to see that doctors are ready to try somethings new, it means that there is the possibility to give new ways to the standard procedures… in this case of doc Jones i want know this: it’s only an experiment for scar revision, or he is interested about a regrowth in the donor area too? It could be interesting if you ask this to the doctor, thank’s!

Please add 1 extra question, why only repair and not use it on new patients?

» Please add 1 extra question, why only repair and not use it on new
» patients?

I guess the answer is - he’s not nuts and wont use it anywhere where result may be a damage to the patient before we know if it works.

I mean would you really use it on your virgin scalp before it is proven to work there? You could easily end up without hair and with scar.