Dr. Jones/ACELL -- No Growth

Dr. Jones’ patient is not showing any hair growth.

http://www.drrobertjones.com/uploaded_images/acelljan28th-741310.jpg

» Dr. Jones’ patient is not showing any hair growth.

sorry, but that’s impossible

»
» http://www.drrobertjones.com/uploaded_images/acelljan28th-741310.jpg

There looks like a whack hair or two in the reddish area to me, but unless Jones takes very close before pictures, the after pictures become tea-leaves-type speculation.

This man’s donor area didn’t have much hair to begin with. The way to test ACELL to see if it could get donor regrowth would be for a man with a healthy donor area to get a small strip, and then have the doctor leave the strip intentionally about a half-inch OPEN. If the ensuing flesh grew hair, then we’d know it worked. If it didn’t, he could FUE grafts in the hairless area or trichophytically re-close it.

I said from the start about the candidate in question…his hair was very sparse around the opened wound, full of other scar tissue from the several other strip procedures that he had already had. He was in rough shape. From an aesthetic standpoint, its still looks like an improvement over what he had.

»
» There looks like a whack hair or two in the reddish area to me

That is proof of concept, Fantastic !!

»

From the update:

The acell was used following exact directions from the company.

I find that quote especially confusing given that ACELL supposedly claimed the opposite according to this thread:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-45937-page-0-category-1-order-last_answer-descasc-DESC.html

“Spoke with Manning, the Acell rep, and learned that Dr. Jones was trying to see if the wound would heal under the worst case scenario conditions. Manning admitted that the wound should have been kept moist and under a bandaged for several weeks and that acell should have been reapplied several times.” (Costanza)

Costanza, just to clear things up, when you spoke to Manning did he explicitly say that Dr. Jones was trying to see if the wound would heal under the worst case scenario or was that somehow your own conclusion? Can you recall exactly what he said? Thanks!

“This man’s donor area didn’t have much hair to begin with. The way to test
ACELL to see if it could get donor regrowth would be for a man with a
healthy donor area to get a small strip, and then have the doctor leave the
strip intentionally about a half-inch OPEN. If the ensuing flesh grew hair,
then we’d know it worked. If it didn’t, he could FUE grafts in the hairless
area or trichophytically re-close it.”

Hello Benji, been awile since I posted here.

Anyway, I wanted to see what you thought of this. What about just testing the ACELL doing a ‘mock’ strip anywhere on the body first where there is dense hair growth. I would be willing to spare some flesh in the name of science on my leg to see if any positive results would happen. I think that would be a better approach first, and then going after the strip method on a virgin scalp that you are mentioning. Just a thought.

missmyhair

»
» [link=http://www.drrobertjones.com/uploaded_images/acelljan28th-741310.jpg]http://www.drrobertjones.com/uploaded_images/acelljan28th-741310.jpg[/link

I completely agree…I see no growth…only a scar. The wound should not have scabbed up as it did. I think it did because the ECM was not applied as often as it should have been and the wound was not kept moist. I hope Dr. Jones (or some of the other docs) try using the Acell ECM again but apply it more often.

Dr. Jones’ caption for that picture reads, “At this point I would expect to see some growth through the scar.”

How could he expect new hair in scar tissue?

To begin with, where did Acell accomplish anything, if it only grew scar tissue–which is what the patient started out with?

» » Dr. Jones’ patient is not showing any hair growth.
» »
» »
» [link=http://www.drrobertjones.com/uploaded_images/acelljan28th-741310.jpg]http://www.drrobertjones.com/uploaded_images/acelljan28th-741310.jpg[/link
»
» I completely agree…I see no growth…only a scar. The wound should
» not have scabbed up as it did. I think it did because the ECM was not
» applied as often as it should have been and the wound was not kept moist.
» I hope Dr. Jones (or some of the other docs) try using the Acell ECM again
» but apply it more often.
Honestly i really don’t understand the reason of try an experiment but not with the better conditions… who care if a patient can’t go back to the doctor 2 days for week?? Acell can be more usefull, will be more intelligent try it with all the better situations… i hope he or others will repeat the work…

»

well, first of all I must say that the photo is fantastic, because it reveals very well the state of the skin. Good job.
Regarding results, it is ovious that there is no new hair. So, unless something happens in the next updates, this is a failure.

But you know what? I am very satisfied with Dr. Jones job!. And the trialist. They have been transparent all the time, and they have shown us the crude reality, without manipulations. This is something really new in this HM world, and we must applaud it.

Now I ask the experts… the new tissue that has been grown, is scar tissue? will the trialist have to undergo another surgery to have it removed?

» Dr. Jones’ caption for that picture reads, “At this point I would expect to
» see some growth through the scar.”
»
» How could he expect new hair in scar tissue?
»
» To begin with, where did Acell accomplish anything, if it only grew scar
» tissue–which is what the patient started out with?

Is it scar tissue? (I ask because I don’t know how scar tissue looks like).

» » Dr. Jones’ patient is not showing any hair growth.
» »
» »
»
» well, first of all I must say that the photo is fantastic, because it
» reveals very well the state of the skin. Good job.
» Regarding results, it is ovious that there is no new hair. So, unless
» something happens in the next updates, this is a failure.
»
» But you know what? I am very satisfied with Dr. Jones job!. And the
» trialist. They have been transparent all the time, and they have shown us
» the crude reality, without manipulations. This is something really new in
» this HM world, and we must applaud it.
»
» Now I ask the experts… the new tissue that has been grown, is scar
» tissue? will the trialist have to undergo another surgery to have it
» removed?

I still want to see it tried with applications of the ECM made to the wound more regularly and the wound kept moist before I will consider the application of Acell to hair transplation to be a failure. That’s why I contacted as many docs as possible to try this product. Several are trying it (supposidly) but only Dr. Jones has been transparent with his experimentation. I also applaud him for that.

As far as the scar goes (and I am no expert) but it looks no worse (or better) than the scar that was there before.

Hi Willy:

» I still want to see it tried with applications of the ECM made to the
» wound more regularly and the wound kept moist before I will consider the
» application of Acell to hair transplation to be a failure. That’s why I
» contacted as many docs as possible to try this product. Several are trying
» it (supposidly) but only Dr. Jones has been transparent with his
» experimentation. I also applaud him for that.
»
» As far as the scar goes (and I am no expert) but it looks no worse (or
» better) than the scar that was there before.

Yes, this experiment is something very useful. First times are always difficult, and now it is just a matter of improve.
Now Jones and the trialist have gathered certain experience about how to do it, how to take photos, etc… Also, it seems that the experiment proved to be completely safe. Next experiments will be easier, they will just have to introduce improvements.

Regarding the scar, I was expecting an improvement over the original scar. If this is not the case, I would say that the result has been quite bad, and would question Acell’s claims about “scarless healing”. Acell would have to explain if the product was applied incorrectly.

» I still want to see it tried with applications of the ECM made to the
» wound more regularly and the wound kept moist before I will consider the
» application of Acell to hair transplation to be a failure. That’s why I
» contacted as many docs as possible to try this product. Several are trying
» it (supposidly) but only Dr. Jones has been transparent with his
» experimentation. I also applaud him for that.
»
» As far as the scar goes (and I am no expert) but it looks no worse (or
» better) than the scar that was there before.

It is still healing, as it is red. I’ve seen many cites that say after 6 to 13month of remodelling there was no sign of scar tissue/fibrosis (three month is not the time stamp here). We are yet to see its color in context with the surrounding skin. And as such the redness is blinding us from seeing fibrous tissue, or regenerated tissue. The redness is a seal.

There is a way to see beyond the seal, and that is if it is lumpy.

But what I can say is the wound area currently looks as flat as the surrounding tissue, were if it was lumpy you could safely say there has an over expression of collagen, hence scarring.

Though, IMO, because of the fibrin scab, I predict it will have fibrous tissue in it, and scar tissue here and there will fill places were hair could grow on a mammal. Fibrin is a sign of the body and immune system fighting.

»
» “Spoke with Manning, the Acell rep, and learned that Dr. Jones was
» trying to see if the wound would heal under the worst case scenario
» conditions. Manning admitted that the wound should have been kept moist and
» under a bandaged for several weeks and that acell should have been
» reapplied several times.”
(Costanza)
»
» Costanza, just to clear things up, when you spoke to Manning did he
» explicitly say that Dr. Jones was trying to see if the wound would heal
» under the worst case scenario or was that somehow your own conclusion? Can
» you recall exactly what he said? Thanks!

That was my own conclusion. It turns out that Dr. Jones told the patient to keep the wound moist by applying a gauze without the need to keep it bandaged. This was the instructions given to Jones by Acell via email. However, it does not look like the patient did this as the hairs around the wound would have been moist and pasty if he removed the gauze just for the photos.

According to my contact at Acell who is higher up the food chain than Manning, the new scaffold to be released in Q3 2009 will be thicker so that no replacement scaffolds will be necessary. So wounds that require sutures, like most cosmetic surgeries, can have the scaffold stitched right into the wound for tissue regeneration. If the wound remains bandaged and moist throughout the entire healing process, virtual scarless healing should be the result.

»

I just read Dr Jones’ post for this pic and he said that if he doesn’t see hair growth in the next month, he’ll contact ACell and try another experiment. It’s great to hear that he hasn’t given up.