Dr Cole : Staples or disolvable Sutures?

which does dr cole use for closing the strip scar? im asking out of interest as i will be having a scar revision with dr cole in a few months time.

» which does dr cole use for closing the strip scar? im asking out of
» interest as i will be having a scar revision with dr cole in a few months
» time.

One can close with either staples or sutures. There are those who feel that staples give you a better healing wound. The only side by side studies comparing the two revealed that there was no difference ultimately in the scar but that staples hurt when you take them out. i tried my own evaluation in the late 1990s. i stapled one side and used dissovable sutures on the other side. i found that the side with staples and the side with sutures looked the same upon healing. The staples were much easier to place and faster. That was a benefit to me rather than the patient. when patients came back to have the staples removed after 7 to 10 days, they all complained of significant pain. in fact every one of them wanted to know why i had done the study. they said i should not have done the staples since they hurt so bad. when they both healed the same i rationalized that the staples are advantageous only to the physician. they carry no benefit to the patient. i stopped using them at that point. however, if someone prefers staples, i have no problem using them in your case. it will take me about 1 to 2 minutes to close your donor area with staples as oppossed to over 30 minutes with sutures.

Thankyou for the reply, i think i’ll go with the sutures if you dont mind!

haggis

» Thankyou for the reply, i think i’ll go with the sutures if you dont mind!
»
» haggis

that is what i recomend due to the pain on removal of staples.