Home | News | Find a Doctor | Ask a Question | Free

Dr. Cole: brand new power extractor for FUE/CIT hair transplant

video courtesy of Dr. Cole’s clinic, www.forhair.com
Faster extraction process for CIT/FUE hair transplantation.
click PLAY BUTTON in the media player to watch video in this post.
img/uploaded_files/1_file85.flv

Dr. Cole has published more patient results in our open forum than any other doctors in the US.

For more details about Dr. Cole’s work, go to www.forhair.com
or call 1-800-368-4247 or email consult@forhair.com

Nothing exciting. The tool really looks bulky on the top. I remember seeing better (more sleek) tools earlier from other FUE surgeons.

Anyways, How this new tool is going to give me more yield than earlier?

IMO, better yield is the issue needs to be address for FUE than speed.

» Nothing exciting. The tool really looks bulky on the top. I remember seeing
» better (more sleek) tools earlier from other FUE surgeons.
»
»

who cares what it looks and whether it is bulky or sleek ? totally irrelevant

» » Nothing exciting. The tool really looks bulky on the top. I remember
» seeing
» » better (more sleek) tools earlier from other FUE surgeons.
» »
» »
»
» who cares what it looks and whether it is bulky or sleek ? totally
» irrelevant

Guess the price will have to come down per graft,hopefully the yield wont be compromised.

Nice tool!

1. How does it compare to other tools… I have no clue here
  2. Being quicker… does it bring patient cost down
  3. Does it sacrifice any hairs being done quicker
  4. Is it used to free up more time so the doctor can do more procedures per day without passing cost to patient
  5. If it is a superior tool does Cole make it available to other doctors?

“hopefully the yield wont be compromised” this is all any patient should be concerned about. Looks like many clinics are now using the marketing of fast removal of grafts. Maybe with all this new marketing comes some clear videos with grown out results of these new tools along with the verification the grafts are being removed intact. Might sound like a lot but we are dealing with limited donor resources!

» Guess the price will have to come down per graft,hopefully the yield wont
» be compromised.

Don’t hold your breath, dr bauman also uses a machine (neograft) that is supposed to speed up the extraction process but he also asks his patients to pay more for that, i thought the machine was supposed to help the patient but it turns out that it is helping the doctor’s wallet instead.

» » Nothing exciting. The tool really looks bulky on the top. I remember
» seeing
» » better (more sleek) tools earlier from other FUE surgeons.
» »
» »
»
» who cares what it looks and whether it is bulky or sleek ? totally
» irrelevant

Irrelevant? A more bulkier tool will stress out the surgeon very easily and can affect the yield.

» Irrelevant? A more bulkier tool will stress out the surgeon very easily
» and can affect the yield.

LOL! You have to be joking. Why are you being so negative about this? If it transplates into lower costs (because the doctor uses less time per procedure) without negatively affecting yield and quality, it is a great thing for us. If it doesn’t, THEN it’s time to be negative. But, at this point there is absolutely no reason to be nagative.

» » Irrelevant? A more bulkier tool will stress out the surgeon very easily
» » and can affect the yield.
»
» LOL! You have to be joking. Why are you being so negative about this? If
» it transplates into lower costs (because the doctor uses less time per
» procedure) without negatively affecting yield and quality, it is a great
» thing for us. If it doesn’t, THEN it’s time to be negative. But, at this
» point there is absolutely no reason to be nagative.

All I care is whteher it affects the yield, that’s the most important thing.

» » Irrelevant? A more bulkier tool will stress out the surgeon very easily
» » and can affect the yield.
»
» LOL! You have to be joking. Why are you being so negative about this? If
» it transplates into lower costs (because the doctor uses less time per
» procedure) without negatively affecting yield and quality, it is a great
» thing for us. If it doesn’t, THEN it’s time to be negative. But, at this
» point there is absolutely no reason to be nagative.

What’s the JOKE here? This is not the first time I have heard about a motorized FUE punch. It has been in practice for a while now. Still, the prices has not dropped down. Has Dr. Cole told you that he is bringing down the pricing and improving upon the yield with this new (bulkier) tool?

BTW, have you checked Dr. Feller’s motorized FUE punch? Do some research on this forum and you will find it. It’s far better than this one…

» What’s the JOKE here? This is not the first time I have heard about a
» motorized FUE punch. It has been in practice for a while now. Still, the
» prices has not dropped down. Has Dr. Cole told you that he is bringing down
» the pricing and improving upon the yield with this new (bulkier) tool?

There is no joke here. There is also no reason to be negative about Dr Cole’s extractor. I never claimed that Dr Cole’s prices would go down. I said his ability to extract hair so much more quickly may result in lower prices. If it does, and if there is no increase in damaged donor hair units, that’s cause for celebration. If it doesn’t, if the tool merely shortens the amount of time a procedure takes, then I’m not very excited about it. People who need to get more hair transplanted in a single session may be excited by a tool that allows that, but I’m more concerned with quality and cost than I am with time.

» BTW, have you checked Dr. Feller’s motorized FUE punch? Do some research
» on this forum and you will find it. It’s far better than this one…

See, it’s comments like this one that undermine your credibility. How do you know that Limmer’s device is “far better” than Cole’s? You don’t know anything about Cole’s new device other than that you dislike its shape. The tool may be twice as good as Limmer’s, or only half as good, or exactly the same in quality. We don’t know yet. You seem to be more interested in throwing water on Cole than in recognizing that this tool may help HT recipients.

I’m taking a wait and see stance. In response to Cole’s new video, I say, “Cool. What advantages does this give to patients?”

» » BTW, have you checked Dr. Feller’s motorized FUE punch? Do some
» research
» » on this forum and you will find it. It’s far better than this one…
» -------------
» See, it’s comments like this one that undermine your credibility. How do
» you know that Limmer’s device is “far better” than Cole’s? You don’t know
» anything about Cole’s new device other than that you dislike its shape. The
» tool may be twice as good as Limmer’s, or only half as good, or exactly the
» same in quality. We don’t know yet. You seem to be more interested
» in throwing water on Cole than in recognizing that this tool may
»
help HT recipients.
»
» I’m taking a wait and see stance. In response to Cole’s new video, I say,
» “Cool. What advantages does this give to patients?”

And here is one of Dr. Gho’s device in action:

In this case, the so called “transection rate” doesn’t matter, because it’s “the aim of the exercise” (HST technique) to TRANSECT ALL FU’s! :smiley:

The 2 reasons for such a device (out of the DENTAL technology) like this, to perform THAT …

… for a similar correct/specific purpose, is clear:

1. http://jlmeniusdds.com/services/root-canal-treatment.html
    The HST technique is based on removing just a part (hair shafts + some follicle tissue) out of the hair ROOT canal in such a way, so that the “hair stem cells” are still attached to the removed hair shaft as well as leaving enough “hair stem cells” behind in the donor area. A tooth root canal treatment is a similar procedure, but for the HST technique, of course, they do not use just a motor-driven “drill” to destroy bad tooth root canal tissue, instead of, they use a sharp (hollow) triple waved needle (with loose vibration) for the FU/tissue extraction.

All in all (special extraction method, hollow and sharp triple waved needles not greater than 0.6 mm inner diameter etc), leads finally to donor-regrowth (>80% success rate) with the same hair characteristics - in the donor area, as well as recipient area.

By the way:

Which “smaller and smaller” punch sizes is Dr. Cole actually using for FOLLICULAR UNITS - eh ???

And which storage solution is he using - eh ???
Biosolution Life or ACELL - or similar ECM’s with growth factors ?? :expressionless:

Because it’s just a matter of time, WHICH clinic have to close their doors by law as for instance ACell in the past (2005) or Histogen Inc right now (since 2009) …

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=NL2006000588

» » » Irrelevant? A more bulkier tool will stress out the surgeon very
» easily
» » » and can affect the yield.
» »
» » LOL! You have to be joking. Why are you being so negative about this?
» If
» » it transplates into lower costs (because the doctor uses less time per
» » procedure) without negatively affecting yield and quality, it is a
» great
» » thing for us. If it doesn’t, THEN it’s time to be negative. But, at
» this
» » point there is absolutely no reason to be nagative.
»
» What’s the JOKE here? This is not the first time I have heard about a
» motorized FUE punch. It has been in practice for a while now. Still, the
» prices has not dropped down. Has Dr. Cole told you that he is bringing down
» the pricing and improving upon the yield with this new (bulkier) tool?
»
» BTW, have you checked Dr. Feller’s motorized FUE punch? Do some research
» on this forum and you will find it. It’s far better than this one…

Feller’s motorized punch is far better HOW ?

This may just be a marketing tool as well as extractor tool. Wait a few years and see if this stuff will wear away or not. There will always be something else better in a few years. Lets hope this does not increase transection rates- That is the main key.

» This may just be a marketing tool as well as extractor tool. Wait a few
» years and see if this stuff will wear away or not. There will always be
» something else better in a few years. Lets hope this does not increase
» transection rates- That is the main key.

Let’s look what is possible with “marketing tools” in the right hands …

ABSTRACT

March 30th, 2009
There has been much discussion in the hair transplant community over FUE- (Follicular Unit Extraction) which is a type of hair transplant procedure whereby individual follicular units from the the donor area are removed using a punch, rather than the more traditional donor strip harvesting (FUS).

Proponents of this technique point to the fact that no linear scar is produced in the donor area which allows the patient to wear their hair short at the back. FUE takes much longer than traditional FUS, consequently it is more expensive.

I read with interest a recent paper that was published in the Journal “Dermatologic Surgery” by Dr. M. Onda from Tokyo, Japan. His aim was to develop a device which would speed up FUE harvesting and his results were fascinating; I summarize them here.

The harvesting time using the FUE powered-device was 6.o minutes per 100 grafts
compared to 14.2 minutes per 100 grafts with manual FUE.

The follicle transection rate (i.e. the hairs that were damaged by cutting through their roots with the punch) varied from 3.0% to 8.6% with the powered device and 9.7% to 25.9% with manual FUE.
[…]
Using the data from this paper, a session of 3,000 follicular unit grafts could take up to 7 hours to harvest. Re-implanting the grafts would add another 4 to 6 hours to this procedure. For this reason, many clinics which offer FUE will perform a large procedure over several days which causes more patient inconvenience.
Similarly with a transection rate [manual FUE] of 9.7% to 25.9% there is a potential for up to 777 grafts to be damaged during a 3,000 graft procedure.

Source: google it

The last paragraph will be a very serious topic in the very near future:

WHO exactly has been responsible out there, for a countless number of destroyed healthy hair follicles ?

"WHO exactly has been responsible out there, for a countless number of destroyed healthy hair follicles ? " Someone who does not know what there doing! As far as the article never heard of this doctor and have been researching Fue since 2001. Would have to talk and meet with a lot of his Fue patients for myself to be convinced of his findings. It’s good that you post some articles but it would be much better to hear from real patients that had these procedures done.

Being fully aware of patients who have little to very poor growth with fue I can believe those high transection numbers. This is what happens when you just start to learn a new skill. Unfortunately for future patients some of these same doctors that are destroying valuable donor while trying to learn, will never get any better. Some will switch over to larger tools and the patient will end up with unacceptable scarring, while others will keep transecting away in hopes becoming skillful.

My personal opinion is that the skill level required is that much higher and most will not be as gifted as others. Frustrating for those who are not, but devastating for the patients.

» "WHO exactly has been responsible out there, for a countless number of
» destroyed healthy hair follicles ? " Someone who does not know what there
» doing! As far as the article never heard of this doctor and have been
» researching Fue since 2001. Would have to talk and meet with a lot of his
» Fue patients for myself to be convinced of his findings. It’s good that you
» post some articles but it would be much better to hear from real patients
» that had these procedures done.----------------Well stated. I have yet to hear and see patients who are so pleased with all of this technology. I am glad my doctor who did my work did not use all of this UNPROVEN technology. As topcat states they are learning on peoples scalps. Doctors do practice you know. They have a practice in fact. For now all of this yada yada debating will go on. Finding someone honest in this field is like finding a needle in a haystack. I found the needle though in my Surgeon.