Dr. Arvind

Hi, I’ve read through a number of your postings on BHT, and they are very interesting and informative.

My question is thus - from your points about BHT and it’s efficacy, if a NW7-ish person were to have large amounts of facial hair and body hair, but a relatively small amount of scalp hair on the side, what are the limitations in BHT that prevent a surgeon from covering the whole scalp with a mixture of facial and scalp hair?

Is it that there would be not enough facial hair (which I assume will be used as filler more towards the back of the scalp), or that it would take a large no. of sessions?

» Hi, I’ve read through a number of your postings on BHT, and they are very
» interesting and informative.
»
»
» My question is thus - from your points about BHT and it’s efficacy, if a
» NW7-ish person were to have large amounts of facial hair and body hair, but
» a relatively small amount of scalp hair on the side, what are the
» limitations in BHT that prevent a surgeon from covering the whole scalp
» with a mixture of facial and scalp hair?
»
» Is it that there would be not enough facial hair (which I assume will be
» used as filler more towards the back of the scalp), or that it would take a
» large no. of sessions?

Dear KO,
Use of facial and robust body hair as additional donor makes it possible to provide fuller hair restorations.
Even for patients formerly considered not suitable for hair restoration.
Offhand, a few cases we have undertaken (or are in process), that come to mind are - farscalpe, topshiny, arjun, Vineet, sphinx, finallyfree, zayden etc.

Commitment - The patient has to know the commitment that will be required to see the process through to the end.
Plan - The patient and his doctor should devise the long term plan before the first hair transplant.

Above two are the essential requirements. Let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,
Dr. A

Dr. Arvind,

On average, how many beard grafts can a person spare for transplant? Say a person with average beard density.

» Dr. Arvind,
»
» On average, how many beard grafts can a person spare for transplant? Say a
» person with average beard density.

Dear Reiner,
Unlike the scalp donor hair, the range of beard hair is very wide. Its difficult to quantify an average.
If you wish, you may upload/email a picture of what you consider an average beard, and I will try to give you an approximate number based on that.

Regards,
Dr. A

How do the success rates - how many of the transplanted follicles grow - of facial hair and scalp hair compare?

I suppose another benefit of BHT is that shaving is less painful because of fewer hairs…

» How do the success rates - how many of the transplanted follicles grow - of
» facial hair and scalp hair compare?
»
»
» I suppose another benefit of BHT is that shaving is less painful because
» of fewer hairs…

The growth survival rate is same for beard as well as scalp donor hair. At a conservative estimate, I would say >95% success rate.
Regards,
Dr. A