Does anybody know about this treatment? 0.5% Roxithromycin

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00197379?cond="Androgenetic+Alopecia"&rank=7

i found this. maybe its a new hairloss treatment as it says so.

The Effect of 0.5% Roxithromycin Lotion for Androgenetic Alopecia

This study is ongoing, but not recruiting participants.

Sponsored by: Hamamatsu University

Information provided by: Hamamatsu University
ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT00197379

Purpose
The purpose of this study is exploiting the new drugs for androgenetic alopecia because there are still no effective and safe topical drug for androgenetic alopecia. Roxithomycin is one of the macrolide antibiotics that has immunomodulatory effects. We firstly found that roxithromycin increases the rate of murine and human hair follicle elongation in vitro. Therefore, we apply this drug on this disease therapy.

Detailed Description:
The topical therapy for androgenetic alopecia is still not enough to improve cosmetically. Thereforem we try to find new effective and safe topical therapy for this disease. Roxithromycin has not only antibacterial action but also immunomodulatory and anti-inflamatory potency. For example, roxitromycin inhibits T cell responces to mitogens and production of cytokines, IL-2 and IL-5. We firstly found that roxitromycin increased human and murine hair elongation in vitro to inhibit apoptosis of hair bulb. Then, we wish to apply roxithromycin on the therapy for androgenetic alopecia.

This belongs to the Topical forum. Topical anti-inflammatory.

» This belongs to the Topical forum. Topical anti-inflammatory.

but its actually in research so i think it belongs in this forum.

the link says:

Study Start Date: May 2005
Estimated Study Completion Date: January 2007

I emailed the professor last year (I think around september) asking about the trial but didn’t get a reply. Send him an email and you may get a reply

» the link says:
»
» Study Start Date: May 2005
» Estimated Study Completion Date: January 2007
»
»
» I emailed the professor last year (I think around september) asking about
» the trial but didn’t get a reply. Send him an email and you may get a

I think this was posted before in the topicals. You may be able to find something if you search the topicals forum

» » the link says:
» »
» » Study Start Date: May 2005
» » Estimated Study Completion Date: January 2007
» »
» »
» » I emailed the professor last year (I think around september) asking
» about
» » the trial but didn’t get a reply. Send him an email and you may get a
»
» I think this was posted before in the topicals. You may be able to find
» something if you search the topicals forum

i didnt find anything :confused:

I am sorry. I will have to move this to the TOPICALS section after this post.

I suppose Roxithromycin is in the same drug group as Clindamycin. My doctor prescribed Clindamycin for me at one time to treat scalp infection. I was told it is a kind of anti-biotic.

My scalp did feel great every time I used this product. I also felt that my hair loss was not as severe whenever I used it.

I never used it long term, so only a short term observation.

There are plenty of Roxithromycin related posts in the OLD forum. You probably did your search in the present forum, hence you couldn’t find any.

I will locate a couple of Roxithromycin related posts for you momentarily.

Again, please check the TOPICALS section as this will be moved there.

Thanks.

Some older posts on Roxithromycin.

From poser Z79 in the old forum:

4 month with Roxithromycin
"I apply Topical Roxithromycin once a day at the hairline, sides and crown. The good news is that this 3 month supply will last me about twice that time, so it only costs me about 10 dollars a month. Unfortunately the cream is pretty much impossible to apply on areas with hair, I would rather have seen it in liquid form.

The results have been ok, but I think we should demand more from a new hairgrowth agent in 2006.

I have not seen any regrowth of terminal hairs at my hairline and not enough to see any difference in my crown area. But since I have no bald spot but only thinning it is hard to tell. Nothing spectacular at least.

I have seen some regrowth of terminal hairs at the sides though. Especially at my temples. It worked very fast in these areas, after one month I could see some darker hairs on my left temple and I have had vellus hair turn terminal ever since then. My right temple did not respond that good, but I could start seeing a difference at month two. Minox did not grow any hair in these areas.

Although I have grown visable, terminal hairs it is not enough to make that much of a cosmetical improvement. I believe my ”success” come from the fact that these areas had recently been thinning a lot (in the last 6 months) or that the sides are not that affected from DHT.

I have not read anyone else having any regrowth from rox so my conclusion is that it probably does not work that good in general. I am not sure that I will continue use rox after my bottle is empty, that depends on if I continue see any more regrowth.

Rox may have some potential but the solution from lipoxidil.com is not effective enough for me to recommend it. As I said earlier I would like to see a liquid formulation (a new ingredient in spectral dnc perhaps?) that the user could apply on the whole scalp, maybe then we could see at least some thickening of vellus hair. But dont expect anything for your hairline.

Would be interesting to hear from other users! "

This was posted by Hogan before.

Hair Restoration and Anti-Gray Hair Effects
by Topical Roxithromycin

T. Ito, N. Ito, N. Seo, H. Yagi, H. Hashizume
Masahiro Takigawa Dermatology, Hamamatsu University
School of Medicine, Hamamatsu, Japan

There are still few effective topical substances for androgenetic alopecia (AGA). In this study, we found that roxithromycin (RXM) has anti-apoptotic and anti-gray hair effects on AGA in vitro, and indeed, clinically improved or prevented hair loss of AGA. RXM is a 14-member new macrolide antibiotic and has been extensively used for prevention and treatment of systemic and local infection. In addition, recent studies revealed RXM also has various modulatory bioactivities of many kinds of cells, such as Langerhans cells, keratinocytes and T cells. Human hair follicles, obtained from plastic surgery with informed consent, were cultured for 6 days. In the control group, hair elongation was 1.96 a 0.19 mm. On the other hand, it was 3.4 0.20 mm and 3.32 0.19 mm in 5 M RXM and 10 M RXM treated group, respectively in vitro. The groups treated with 5 M CLM (2.17 0.13 mm), 10 M (1.93 a 0.18 mm), 5 M EM (2.85 a 0.13 mm), 10 M EM (2.05 a 0.19 mm) showed no significant hair elongation compared with the control group. Next, 11 male individuals suffering from AGA topically applied 8 ml RXM at 0.5% in alcoholic solution once a day for 6 months with informed consent. Photographs were then scored, 4 patients apparently showed improvement of hair restoration, 4 patients were more than slight improvement, and 3 patients were no improvement. Topical RXM used under these conditions was safe without any local and systemic adverse effects. The beneficial effects of RXM seem to result from prevention of apoptosis of matrix cells and melanocytes in human hair follicles. RXM is a promising candidate for effective and safe treatment of AGA.

Here is a clinical trial held in Japan for the application of it.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/show/NCT00197379

Further study details as provided by Hamamatsu University:
Primary Outcomes: The hair elongation after 1 week of application. Cosmetical improvement. Evaluation by dermoscopy
Secondary Outcomes: Pathological study taken from lesional scalp skin.
Expected Total Enrollment: 20
Study start: May 2005; Expected completion: June 2007
Last follow-up: January 2007; Data entry closure: March 2007

The topical therapy for androgenetic alopecia is still not enough to improve cosmetically. Thereforem we try to find new effective and safe topical therapy for this disease. Roxithromycin has not only antibacterial action but also immunomodulatory and anti-inflamatory potency. For example, roxitromycin inhibits T cell responces to mitogens and production of cytokines, IL-2 and IL-5. We firstly found that roxitromycin increased human and murine hair elongation in vitro to inhibit apoptosis of hair bulb. Then, we wish to apply roxithromycin on the therapy for androgenetic alopecia.