Day 14...Update

Sunday 28th Sept 2008

I’ve decided to cease taking roxithromycin orally. I have suspicions that it is bringing on the intense toothache I’ve been experiencing for the past week. That, coupled with
the fact that to counteract the toothache, I’ve had to take Ibuprofen to kill the pain. I think that maybe the two are interacting and giving me some very unpleasant nocturnal
side effects. Chest tightness and some moments of heart racing in bed. Ironically, the ibuprofen has probably helped my experiment as it has potent anti-inflammatory mechanisms.
Perhaps I will continue with a nominal dosage after discontinuation of the oral roxithromycin.
Scabs are continuing to fall off. No new hair to report yet but some of the old hair coming back through. There is actually less hair than when I started but I put that down
to the depilation and the fact that it is too early for all the old hair to reappear. Today is 12 days post-wounding. In theory, there are now hair germs developing in the scalp.
One odd observation.
Right at the front and lower than where you have seen the cluster of terminal hairs, I can see a solitary white hair. It’s diameter suggests it is terminal or at least semi-
terminal but is it a reactivated follicle that is growing grey hair? I DO have some grey hairs at the sides. Surely it is too early for this to be a new follicle growing
unpigmented hair? Which brings me to my concerns with wnt. In my first experiment, I accidentally INHIBITED wnt as well as EGF, for the first 2 or 3 days. Is it possible
that this is needed to give pigmented hair in humans? Dr. Cotsarelis stated that it was necessary in mice because they have no pigment in their skin. Is it possible that this
’pull-push’ arrangement is also necessary in humans? We shall have to wait for the appearance of new terminal hair, if any.

Baccy, are you using the same protocol as before?

» Sunday 28th Sept 2008
»
» I’ve decided to cease taking roxithromycin orally. I have suspicions that
» it is bringing on the intense toothache I’ve been experiencing for the past
» week. That, coupled with
» the fact that to counteract the toothache, I’ve had to take Ibuprofen to
» kill the pain. I think that maybe the two are interacting and giving me
» some very unpleasant nocturnal
» side effects. Chest tightness and some moments of heart racing in bed.
» Ironically, the ibuprofen has probably helped my experiment as it has
» potent anti-inflammatory mechanisms.
» Perhaps I will continue with a nominal dosage after discontinuation of the
» oral roxithromycin.
» Scabs are continuing to fall off. No new hair to report yet but some of
» the old hair coming back through. There is actually less hair than when I
» started but I put that down
» to the depilation and the fact that it is too early for all the old hair
» to reappear. Today is 12 days post-wounding. In theory, there are now hair
» germs developing in the scalp.
» One odd observation.
» Right at the front and lower than where you have seen the cluster of
» terminal hairs, I can see a solitary white hair. It’s diameter suggests it
» is terminal or at least semi-
» terminal but is it a reactivated follicle that is growing grey hair? I DO
» have some grey hairs at the sides. Surely it is too early for this to be a
» new follicle growing
» unpigmented hair? Which brings me to my concerns with wnt. In my first
» experiment, I accidentally INHIBITED wnt as well as EGF, for the first 2 or
» 3 days. Is it possible
» that this is needed to give pigmented hair in humans? Dr. Cotsarelis
» stated that it was necessary in mice because they have no pigment in their
» skin. Is it possible that this
» ‘pull-push’ arrangement is also necessary in humans? We shall have to wait
» for the appearance of new terminal hair, if any.

Baccy- is there a way you could try using the roxithromycin in a topical? Or is the reason, maybe you think the application in a mixture may reduce the overall efficacy? I dont know as I was corrected that the patent calls for the egf-r to be used as a topical.

»» Baccy- is there a way you could try using the roxithromycin in a topical?
» Or is the reason, maybe you think the application in a mixture may reduce
» the overall efficacy? I dont know as I was corrected that the patent calls
» for the egf-r to be used as a topical.

I’m already using it in the topical. I began to use it orally too to supplement the topical.

» »» Baccy- is there a way you could try using the roxithromycin in a
» topical?
» » Or is the reason, maybe you think the application in a mixture may
» reduce
» » the overall efficacy? I dont know as I was corrected that the patent
» calls
» » for the egf-r to be used as a topical.
»
» I’m already using it in the topical. I began to use it orally too to
» supplement the topical.

Baccy, how is your scalp looking today? Is it still peeling?

» I’ve decided to cease taking roxithromycin orally.

Just be aware that using roxithromycin adds another variable to your whole experiment. As part of its action, roxithromycin inhibits both TGF-beta and NF-kappaB. Although TGF-beta is generally regarded as a hair growth inhibitor postnatally, it is active, as is NF-kappaB, during hair follicle morphogenesis, where they both appear to play a positive role in hair follicle formation.

Inhibiting TGF-beta and NF-kappaB are probably good things in terms of treating pattern baldness, but its effects on hair follicle morphogenesis might be different.

» Just be aware that using roxithromycin adds another variable to your whole
» experiment.

I hear ya. Next time I’m going to keep it simple. EGF inhibitor and lithium during the embryonic window. And I’ve come round to your way of thinking ( I think it was you) that the embryonic window is when the crusts start falling off at WHATEVER day that is.

»
» Baccy, how is your scalp looking today? Is it still peeling?

Almost finished peeling. Few final pieces of skin still coming away.
When I have some updates, I will post them.

» » Just be aware that using roxithromycin adds another variable to your
» whole
» » experiment.
»
» I hear ya. Next time I’m going to keep it simple. EGF inhibitor and
» lithium during the embryonic window. And I’ve come round to your way of
» thinking ( I think it was you) that the embryonic window is when the crusts
» start falling off at WHATEVER day that is.

What are you planning to do to inhibit wnt before embyonic window opens? - if you are going to do this at all.

» I hear ya. Next time I’m going to keep it simple.

I had extra variables, too. I don’t think anyone has done a completely clean experiment yet…it’s kind of hard.

In any case, here is a new study which just hit Pubmed today:

Arch Dermatol Res. 2008 Sep 27. [Epub ahead of print]

Roxithromycin antagonizes catagen induction in murine and human hair follicles: implication of topical roxithromycin as hair restoration reagent.

Roxithromycin (RXM) is a 14-member macrolide antibiotics, with a variety of bioregulatory functions including anti-apoptotic activity to keratinocytes. Therefore, RXM has been used for many kinds of skin diseases. In this study, human and murine hair follicles were treated with RXM in order to find the possibility to cure hair loss disease such as androgenetic alopecia (AGA). In AGA, dihydrotestosterone signals apoptosis in dermal papilla cells in susceptible individuals, resting in premature termination of anagen and early entry into catagen. Therefore, anti-apoptotitic drug has a possibility of new candidate for AGA. This study revealed RXM antagonized the in vitro inhibitory effect of IFN-gamma on proliferation of keratinocytes and induction of apoptosis in murine and human hair bulb. RXM increases hair elongation and inhibits catagen-like changes induced in vitro with IFN-gamma in murine and human hair follicles. Furthermore, topical 5% RXM solution effectively restores hair growth in about half of individuals with AGA without any local and systemic adverse effects. Therefore, RXM is new candidate as a hair restoration drug for AGA.

PMID: 18820941 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

» Furthermore, topical 5% RXM solution effectively restores hair growth in
» about half of individuals with AGA without any local and systemic adverse
» effects. Therefore, RXM is new candidate as a hair restoration drug for
» AGA.

Thanks, I found that abstract some days ago when looking for “new follicles” at the pubmed searcher, and it’s almost imposible to believe, what does " restores hair growth " means ?, I’d like to read the full study, maybe it contains some pics too

FYI, some potentially interesting related articles available at the bottom of this page:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00197379?cond="Androgenetic+alopecia"&rank=7

» » Furthermore, topical 5% RXM solution effectively restores hair growth in
» » about half of individuals with AGA without any local and systemic
» adverse
» » effects. Therefore, RXM is new candidate as a hair restoration drug for
» » AGA.
»
» Thanks, I found that abstract some days ago when looking for “new
» follicles” at the pubmed searcher, and it’s almost imposible to believe,
» what does " restores hair growth " means ?, I’d like to read the full
» study, maybe it contains some pics too