Connection between sperm-ejaculation and hairloss

Personian, have you looked into what research HAS been done on masturbation and hair loss already? I’m not sure about where & when, but think it’s been studied before.

To tell you the truth, I don’t think any study on earth would ever stop people from wanting to prove a link between masturbation and MPB. Too many people just want to find something to vilify masturbation with, and too many people also want to find some way to believe that MPB is the result of their sinful life.

»
» benji: if you go to regrowth.com there are a lot of guys doing it. I tried
» that and it does work. as long as you stop T->DHT, a lot of T will help
» your hair. In fact most of the guys there do not take propecia. They just
» boost their T levels and use natural supplements to reduce inflamation. I
» dunno if some of the supplements they take reduces 5AR. I never stopped
» taking fin and do not plan to.
»
» And because I’ve been on similar T boosting regimen for several months
» already I can confirm they are true. It does work.
»

tons of bodybuilders go bald…and quickly, while having very high T levels

Androgenic alopecia is shown to be a genetic consequence of a particular variant of the androgen receptor gene that just shy of 99.0% of all balding men just happen to have—and its severtiy linked to how many cag-repeat mutations of that gene are on their chromosomes. These web sites are increasingly full of loons and moderated by fabulously indulgent moderators who allow people to post garbage they make up in their own minds, slanted brutally by what they wish to think about baldness—i.e. that your hair doesn’t really have bad genetics that predispose it to be weak in response to testosterone or any of its derivatives

» Effect of 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone and testosterone on apoptosis in
» human dermal papilla cells.

»
» Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2006;19(6):311-21
»
» Pathogenetic mechanisms in androgenetic alopecia are not yet fully
» understood; however, it is commonly accepted that androgens like
» testosterone (T) and 5alpha-dihydrotestosterone (5alpha-DHT) inhibit hair
» follicle activity with early induction of the catagen.
»
» Thus, we investigated the influence of T and 5alpha-DHT on proliferation,
» cell death and bcl-2/bax expression in cultured dermal papilla cells (DPC)
» from nonbalding scalp regions of healthy volunteers.
»
» T and 5alpha-DHT induced apoptosis in DPC in a dose-dependent and
» time-related manner; in addition a necrotic effect due to T at 10(-5) M was
» found. Interestingly, bcl-2 protein expression was decreased in T- and
» 5alpha-DHT-treated cells, leading to an increase in the bax/bcl-2 ratio.
»
» In addition, T and 5alpha-DHT induced proteolytic cleavage of caspase 8
» and inhibited proliferation of DPC at 10(-5) M. High concentrations of T
» and 5alpha-DHT were needed to induce apoptotic effects in DPC.
»
» These data suggest that DPC from nonbalding scalp regions do have the
» capacity to undergo apoptosis, but need a high androgen stimulus.

»
» The present study provides an interesting new pathogenetic approach in
» androgenetic alopecia.

both T and DHT could cause apoptosis.

DHT has a five-times slower dissasssociation rate from the androgen receptor, so it stays bound longer before chemically degrading than T does, but they unlock the same genes within the dermal papilla when uptaken. DHT also has a higher affinity for the receptor than T does, but both actively bind. Without DHT, the androgenic stimulis to the follicle likely never gets high enough to “kick off” baldness to start with (pseudohermaphrodites in the caribbean), but post-beginning of AGA in a subject, T contributes to the process just like DHT, but more slowly. Both SUCK for your hair.

I think T levels in the follicle would have to be enormous. Perhaps this just proves that serum levels and scalp levels are two different things.

The two studies hairsite posted prove that this in fact is the case. if T : DHT ratio stays the same, and balding guys have higher DHT in scalp than non balding, but similar serum androgen levels, then their serum T : scalp DHT is different from the non balding guys, showing nicely to what a degree the serum level studies are irrelevant to your hair.

Connecting serum level study with in vitro study on a follicle cells thus makes only little sense.

For me what matters is my hair. It thickened big time since I read the regrowth success and started copying it.

I’ve also read interesting study yesterday that said that DHT levels in the balding and non balding scalp areas of the same guy do vary. The balding scalp has much higher dht levels then the hairy areas. So in fact it surely must be just the DHT inside of that follicle that matters because if you take follicle from the non balding area and move it a dip of just 0.75 in diameter seems to be enough to protect the moved follicle from the neighbouring dht levels forever.

» Personian, have you looked into what research HAS been done on masturbation
» and hair loss already? I’m not sure about where & when, but think it’s
» been studied before.
»
» To tell you the truth, I don’t think any study on earth would ever stop
» people from wanting to prove a link between masturbation and MPB. Too many
» people just want to find something to vilify masturbation with, and too
» many people also want to find some way to believe that MPB is the result of
» their sinful life.

To be honest I do think that sex does affect your hair if you are a mpb guy. But I doubt it is any significant. I know few ppl who do not masturbate and have no sex life either because they are priests. And bald priests. One of them I know very well. I’m 100% sure he would not touch himself.

how do you explain this?
http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/board_entry-id-30179.html

This really interests me. Lately I’ve been thinking about it awhile independently of having read this post. I like an ejaculation as much as the next guy, but have lately been trying to cut back. If I do do it, I immediately picture my head being surged with testosterone and potential DHT.

Now, somebody stated earlier that it should be no problem if you are on propeica, but remember, Propecia reduces only 72% of the DHT production vs. the 90% or so from Avodart. Also, this is just the DHT level, it reduces even less of the DHT serum. Wasn’t it 52% or so?

Now, I don’t want to be pessimistic, but realistic. The author of this original post here presented a very pertinent topic to all of us. If it turns out that, sadly, more ejaculation makes more DHT, than we should at least be aware of this, whether we heed it or not. I would love to discuss this further.

» Hello,
»
» Many years ago when I was young, I’ve seen posts on the internet on the
» subject of hairloss, saying that (excessive) masturbation/sex can
» contribute to hairloss.
»
» I remember back then fully endorsing the opinion of those who claimed such
» a connection between ejaculation and hairloss has no scientific basis, is
» plain nonsense, and was invented by mean people trying to deprive balding
» guys from enjoyment.
»
» Years have passed, and in the meantime I did a B.Sc in Biology and then
» M.Sc in Molecular biology (now I’m in my doctorate).
»
» Anyway, a week ago I tried to reevaluate my position concerning this
» issue. To my surprise, the claim of a connection between hairloss and
» ejaculation suddenly seemed to have a lot of sense.
»
» I’ve been browsing Pubmed and saw articles showing that after ejaculation,
» the levels of Testosterone and DHT in the blood, go up. This of course
» makes sense, since after ejaculation it is logical that spermatogenesis
» should be increased, and so testosterone is needed.
»
» It certainly makes sense that when testosterone levels are high in the
» blood, the levels will also go up in the hair follicles on the head, and
» there, some will be transferred to DHT by 5-alpha-reductase => contributing
» to hairloss.
»
» I have to admit I’m not an endocrinologist. If any of you have links to
» papers or scientific basis that could explain why the above theory is
» flawed as a contributing factor for hairloss, I’ll be happy to read it.

Masturbation seems like it might have a link to hair loss.

And the earth also seems to be flat.

Both of these things fly in the face of conventional scientific thinking. And yet both seem to make some plausible sense to the observer. (A flat earth actually makes a hell of a lot more gut-level sense than the alternative accepted theory.)

All the observer has to do is disregard the current scientific evidence to the contrary, and start trying to find his own correlations for things. It won’t take him long to start amassing a very reasonable-sounding set of observations in favor of both of these ideas.

But the problem is, a bunch of reasonable-sounding correlations aren’t enough.

If I fly in one direction for long enough, I still come back to where I started. And if I stop masturbating, I still keep on going bald.

Cal,

I like your analogy, but I’m not so sure…

I heard that when trying to take a dump, if you strain really hard, the poop can press against your prostate, causing DHT to increase at an exponential level.
Further evidence shows that after 10-20 of such dumps, your hair density will go down by at least 10%.

The only thing that can be done about this, is to make the poop less solid, such that the pressure placed on the prostate is not as forceful.

In conclusion, it makes sense that if one wishes to keep his hair, he must induce diarrhea so that every trip to the bathroom places as little stress on the prostate as possible.

BTW, I have just completed my Bachelor’s degree in economics, so I am fully informed in the science of cause and effect.

I am definitely not pro masturbation = hair loss. I am not trying to make this work out through deduction. But as for disregarding scientific evidence. I’m regarding it. Scientifically, ejaculation raises testosterone. Scientifically, testosterone gets converted. Of course, their are multiple aspects of this to consider before making a proof masturbation = hair loss. But this is at least a hypothesis worth examining, if even to prove it wrong.

Also, there is a lot of discussion out in this post about “It is not logical that everybody that has sex would go bald, use your basic observation skills.” This is true, and it’s because of the fact that not all men have hairs that are DHT sensitive at the same age. Therefore, it is possible a sex fiend who ejaculates 5 times a day and is blessed with DHT resistent hair could have much better hair than a casual sex practicer of two ejaculations a week with hair that is not resistent to DHT. There are lots of factors to consider.

Masturbation seems like it might have a link to hair loss.
»
» And the earth also seems to be flat.
»
»
»
» Both of these things fly in the face of conventional scientific thinking.
» And yet both seem to make some plausible sense to the observer. (A flat
» earth actually makes a hell of a lot more gut-level sense than the
» alternative accepted theory.)
»
» All the observer has to do is disregard the current scientific evidence to
» the contrary, and start trying to find his own correlations for things. It
» won’t take him long to start amassing a very reasonable-sounding set of
» observations in favor of both of these ideas.
»
»
»
» But the problem is, a bunch of reasonable-sounding correlations aren’t
» enough.
»
» If I fly in one direction for long enough, I still come back to where I
» started. And if I stop masturbating, I still keep on going bald.

But that’s just it - pointing out a link between ejaculation and hormone production is not a new development. It’s not being argued against in the first place.

The detracters aren’t questioning a link between masturbation and DHT/Test production. They’re questioning whether the proportional size/duration of that little spike is enough to be anything approaching relevant to our situation.

Here’s an idea:

If somebody proves a link between weightlifting and increased hair loss, THEN I will listen to the masturbation theories. The same kind of temporary hormone elevation occurs afterwards (but probably much higher), and I would think that would be a hell of a lot easier to prove. But so far I have not been convinced of this link.

I don’t think the studies done on this issue ever adequately account for the HUGE influence of various androgen-boosting supplements. The powerful scary illegal ones are only half the story.

I once read a statistic that something like one in 30 american HIGH-SCHOOL kids has been on illegal steroids. And for every one kid trying the illegal dangerous stuff, think of how many more are probably trying the OTC “safe” stuff that causes lesser amounts of similiar effects. And we’re just talking the (total) high school kid population here, not even specifically the young adult population that’s in the gym yet. The number is this high for kids, and they probably have to beg for allowance money to pay for half the stuff and then find someone else’s mailing address just to send it to.

And the fact is, weightlifting has become a very common and accepted way to COPE with hair loss after it has started already. I want to see THAT factor accounted for when they study this issue.

so does it cuase hair loss or not?

The research says no.

A few people think it does. But there’s never any evidence to back that up.

» The research says no.
»
» A few people think it does. But there’s never any evidence to back that
» up.

oh kk… how about people that have great hair for a long time??? they dont have sex and are ultra virgins??? lolol this sound rediculous.

Hey, you don’t have to convince ME that there’s no real link.

n/t

I’d like to think its the total opposite.

That is, when you don’t have sex your bodies sexual hormones continue to increase. This is why after a certain point you just need to have sex. So in this theory the highest levels of testosterone and DHT would be just before you ejaculate. By ejaculating you bring down the levels to its lowest point possible (without drug interference)

What’s great about this theory is that you should have sex or masturbate more often so that your hormonal levels are always low. If these levels are low then it does not interfere with your hair follicles as much. If you do NOT have sex or masturbate as often then you are MORE at risk that it will interfere with your hair follicles.

So guys, masturbate & have SEX as much as you can!!! DON’T YOU LOVE THIS THEORY!!!

By the way its just my own thoughts on this. Nothing scientific and just makes me feel better. Actually, it may even be the case.

Can we start spreading this around instead of whoever sexual repressive person started the old tale? :wink:

PASS IT ON!!!

I remember reading a study showing that testosterone levels were the highest seven days (neither 6 nor8) after the latest ejaculation.
The real problem though is the link between hormonal renewal as ejaculation triggers it and 5ar renewal in the same time. And we might have very little clues if any as to this last point. Yes, “stagnating’” T in the system from no ejaculation may seem to be fuel for higher DHT levels but a more frequent renewed production of T may look as ominous. After all, that’s the underlying argument behind the more sex=less hair “theory”. The amount of T produced on a weekly basis is higher and then the liable conversion into DHT is as well. I don’t know what side to take. Is a constantly high but little “renewed” T more harmful than a low but more rapid turnover? I am a complete ignorant as to this dilemma but the answer may lie in the occurrence time of conversion by a 5ar molecule in the life of a T molecule(???). Maybe Brian or benji could help here.